Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Trabant posted:

In case you have access to a laser cutter, ShopBot, or are just insanely skilled with saws, you can buy plans to make this:

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/you-probably-dont-have-enough-patience-to-build-this-ki-1736933052

Ah man why did you do that to me? Perfect present for my parents, they always have hummingbird feeders up. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Posting some actual content, I made a portable bluetooth speaker recently. I feel like it came out pretty decent for not having a workshop. Would have liked to make the box myself instead of using a flat pack (finishing MDF is a pain in the rear end).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:stare: what is that finishing technique and how do I do it?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

poxin posted:

Posting some actual content, I made a portable bluetooth speaker recently. I feel like it came out pretty decent for not having a workshop. Would have liked to make the box myself instead of using a flat pack (finishing MDF is a pain in the rear end).

Killer man! I've seen this done with guitars on youtube. Was it easy?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Isn't that basically nailpolish on water, but scaled up? I've done it for miniature effects, but nothing bigger than an inch.

Each of those are 2/3 the height of a penny from bottom of the base to top of the orb.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

It's a swirl paint technique where you dip your object in water with paint on the surface. There are numerous tutorials on YouTube using a borax and enamel paint method but it's surprisingly difficult at first. I'd recommend going with these: http://www.peachtreeglobal.com/Magic-Marble-Home.htm

Much easier method using those paints for it. The borax method is very finicky getting the amount and water temperature correct. Those paints don't care and require no borax.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow, that's really cool. I hadn't known something like that existed. Thanks for the tip!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
My weekend project compliments of IKEA. This is part of a much larger bedroom remodel project (along with my previous post on how to build a new headboard). A few more steps to go and my bedroom should look like a luxury hotel room.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bEatmstrJ posted:

look like a luxury hotel room.

Glad you said that. Because if it's what you're going for you are bang on.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

bEatmstrJ posted:

My weekend project compliments of IKEA. This is part of a much larger bedroom remodel project (along with my previous post on how to build a new headboard). A few more steps to go and my bedroom should look like a luxury hotel room.

Are you sure that isn't your sewing room?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Captain Cool posted:

Now you've ruined it for everyone.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Captain Cool posted:

I'm sure. Sewing is one of the few skills I refuse to learn, despite having a bunch of cabinets that may loosely resemble a sewing machine.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

The mount for my dashcam was needlessly long and I wasn't going to buy a better one, so I cut it into pieces and glued it back together.
From this: To this:

The only tricky part was making a new ball joint.

For that I stuck a bunch of epoxy on the end of a screw and used my drill like a lathe to make it round.

VVV Yeah, I put it on as thick as I could but it still took at least 5 layers. To stop it dripping I twirled the screw around until the epoxy set up.

LookieLoo fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 2, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LookieLoo posted:

For that I stuck a bunch of epoxy on the end of a screw and used my drill like a lathe to make it round.

Clever. Did you build it up in layers?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Crossposting this from the leatherworking thread:

Side Effects posted:

I recently decided to try and make a pair of shoes. Made a plaster last of my feet, cut out some paper templates and just last night sewed the uppers to the lowers. Sorry for the poor quality photo, phone camera and my apartment doesn't have great lighting

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
xpost from woodworking

I refurbished this Delta headstock. Can't say when it was made for sure but probably in the 40's. One tiny little slip up on the badge, I removed some red paint, it felt like crushing defeat but just gotta move on. I went through everything, she's as good as new, maybe a touch better. Now I have to decide whether to toss it back on ebay and try to make a quick profit or actually use it to build a medium size bowl lathe.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Side Effects posted:

Crossposting this from the leatherworking thread:

A thread I didn't know about but am now excited over, thanks. Turnshoe chat, ahoy!

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started this yesterday. Making a Retropi console for my sister by this Christmas. She loves playing oldschool games, but does so on her laptop which is just not right. I'm using an old broken Superfamicom as the case. Made this label for the cartridge in Inkscape that is going to sit in the console. Rather than go for a 50s tech vibe for the console itself I'm just thinking using the blue and yellow for primary and accents with a grey concrete speckling for weathering.

Edit: Planning on doing something like this for the cartridge color scheme

VanguardFelix fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 8, 2015

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

wormil posted:

xpost from woodworking

I refurbished this Delta headstock. Can't say when it was made for sure but probably in the 40's. One tiny little slip up on the badge, I removed some red paint, it felt like crushing defeat but just gotta move on. I went through everything, she's as good as new, maybe a touch better. Now I have to decide whether to toss it back on ebay and try to make a quick profit or actually use it to build a medium size bowl lathe.

Do you recall the type/brand of paint that you used for the body of that? I have a variety of Delta head and tailstocks from that general era and some of them could really use a fresh paint job. That looks great, really nice job.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

captainblastum posted:

Do you recall the type/brand of paint that you used for the body of that? I have a variety of Delta head and tailstocks from that general era and some of them could really use a fresh paint job. That looks great, really nice job.

Rustoleum dark machine grey. I used light machine grey on another Delta and the two appear almost identical. They are baked for an hour at about 120f, the color darkens over several days. The factory finish covers a multitude of sins, once stripped there are all kinds of small defects. Next time I might use a super thin coat of Bondo just to fill in the scratches and gouges.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

couldcareless posted:

We had a bad termite infestation in one of our living room walls. I figured I'd use this chance to do something interesting with the house since we needed to gut it down to reframe the whole wall anyway. Decided on a brick veneer, so had the contractor frame it up with cement board.

And so I got to work:

A week or so later and about 8 less tubes of liquid nail extreme heavy duty:

And done the tedious part:

Forgot to take earlier photos in the mortar process but here's day 3, AKA "I finally got this grout bag handling down":

And this is where I ran out of mortar with a 6sq/ft section left:

Completion, kinda (ignore the headless dog that got in the way):

What's left is for my father in law to finish the crowd moulding around the room then moulding along the sides where the brick meets the drywall and some baseboards. Unfortunately, given his speed, this will probably take longer than the wall did for me.

Um... Are you sure that is cement board? The finished product looks really nice, but I am pretty sure that is green board that he put up back there (I know it is blue.). I just hope He didnt charge you for cement board.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr.Bob posted:

Um... Are you sure that is cement board? The finished product looks really nice, but I am pretty sure that is green board that he put up back there (I know it is blue.). I just hope He didnt charge you for cement board.

Good catch. Blue board is good, but it's not cement board for sure.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It probably is just green board. When we discussed what was to be done, not knowing what was needed, I simply said cement board or whatever would be adequate for the veneer and stuck with that assumption. My dad was nice enough to pay for the repair himself so I never saw the invoice, though the guy is honest and a close acquaintance of the family, so I doubt he tried a bait and switch. In any case, cement board might have been over-engineering it anyway and green board should have been more than enough.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

VanguardFelix posted:

Just started this yesterday. Making a Retropi console for my sister by this Christmas. She loves playing oldschool games, but does so on her laptop which is just not right. I'm using an old broken Superfamicom as the case. Made this label for the cartridge in Inkscape that is going to sit in the console. Rather than go for a 50s tech vibe for the console itself I'm just thinking using the blue and yellow for primary and accents with a grey concrete speckling for weathering.

Edit: Planning on doing something like this for the cartridge color scheme

You are a Good Brother :unsmith:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I've made an Android game:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BreakenWreck.MouseMazePuzzle

and then I made some stuff:

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
My husband, fellow goon Kerro, and I just hosted a murder mystery party for our friends and it involved all sorts of projects so I thought I'd share a few key items since we're pretty proud of our efforts. The mystery had a Lovecraft inspired cult theme and Kerro wrote it together with a friend. Writing our own came about as a result of playing a number of pre-made mysteries in the past including a couple from http://www.freeformgames.com/ which are awesome but always end up just a littler bit too obvious for our group of friends.

We like to make sure that the main part of the house is fully kitted out to fit the theme of the party to get everyone in the mood (for the previous one we converted our lounge and deck into a Wild West Saloon). Here's what the lounge looked like:

The radio is an old valve radio case which we restored a few months ago and fitted with an electronics kit-set amp we built and speakers so we can plug in phones/mp3 players. It fit really well for the 1930s-ish theme of the party.
The big cult-banner is just a painted up old duvet cover and it nicely fit onto the curtains. It would have been nicer to host this in winter as it got dark way too late to fit the "it's stormy and cold outside theme" but the banner also helped blocked out a bit more light.
We also bought 2 large, framed pictures at a charity shop and re-purposed them for creepy wall paintings. The actual pictures where assembled from 4 lots of A3 print outs and getting them printed so they had decent overlap was brain-braking but totally worth it in the end (I also used a small amount of acrylic paint to paint over the paper joins so that there wasn't any white fluff to catch the light). You pretty much couldn't tell that they weren't just one piece of paper. Sadly there's no decent photos of the "paintings".

Kerro also made another wall hanging:

We bought the deer(?) head secondhand and the new snout is made from Sculpy in individual parts and then glued on. I don't recall exactly what colour the horns were originally but they got a paint job to stand out more. Kerro also made the backing board in our woodworking workshop using the router table we built for ourselves so we actually use the router instead of just declaring it too hard to use all the time.

Speaking of the Sculpy it was our first time using modelling clay to make larger items from scratch and for our first try we made a facehugger type creature and some alien internal organs for our specimen jars:

From these Kerro moved on to the deer and I made a Cthulhu statuette which we gave away as the winning prize:

He has since also been mounted on a small wooden block but I haven't had a chance to take a photo of it on the base. More detailed pictures here.

Finally no murder mystery is complete without desert (since most games are designed such that characters can die after desert) so I also made a 100% edible Necronomicake:

Here's another picture since the detail is hard to see in the dark one. I also managed to put together a step by step summary of the process.

Everyone had a great time, even though the game ended sooner than expected with half the cult members dead due to an unexpected post-desert group brawl.

I also have a question which I am hoping someone who is more experienced with oven-bake modelling clay might be able to help with:
The Cthulhu figure I built is VERY fragile, especially the tips of the wings and the toes (he's already had most of his toes broken once :( ) The main problem seems to be that the actual material, once baked is very brittle, so the slightest bit of impact, even on a soft surface, can do a lot of damage. Is there something I might be able to coat the figure in to help give it a bit of extra strength? I have to get it transport suitable somehow and currently the only way it can be safely moved is by holding it in your hand and not bumping it with anything which isn't very suitable for someone to take on a 1 hour flight. :(

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No tips on the oven-bake stuff here but holy crap that's some amazing work. I love the cake.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
You could get a brush-on epoxy to strengthen it up. I've used this stuff a bunch with good results:
Filabot XTC24 XTC-3D High Performance Print Coating, 24 oz, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TS7TYXA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_tiLvwbWWEESZB

Awesome work by the way!

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
Thanks for the nice feedback and the epoxy recommendation. I'll look into getting something like this locally (shipping to New Zealand usually makes amazon an unattractive option). Do I need to use some kind of seal over the acrylic paint so that the epoxy doesn't react with it or do they play nicely together?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I was debating starting a thread but I figured I wouldn't have enough content to make it worth it so I might as well do this here. I'm currently attempting to do a hydroponics setup to grow green peppers, beefsteak tomatoes, and Numex Twilight chilies. I'm also trying to grow Oyster Mushrooms as well. Part of the reason is that the city I live in, Saint John, NB, Canada, is really poor. We're basically the Detroit of Eastern Canada where over half our population has left for out west. Most of the produce here is imported from out of province. NB is really rocky and makes farming not the greatest. So a friend and I have decided we want to eventually start an indoor produce farm through hydroponics to hopefully bring the price of produce down here and maybe spur business growth around it (we'd supply restaurants, small value added produces, grocery, etc). We're going to do more than just those. I'm just doing them for my own amusement more than anything.

But everything has to start with a beginning. I have never done this before. My family has done small vegetable plots and flower gardens but I've never really been too interested in flowers. But I've decided I want to help people and do a job that I won't dread waking up too. Apparently there is a lot of interest in this area for it; I just have to make it work.

I started two weeks ago with the plants and have been experimenting with Oyster Mushroom spawn for a few months now. It's been a learning experience but I'm quiet enjoying it so far. I don't have the main hydro rig built yet as I'm still at the seedling stage. But I have a decided thought up and already researched and bought components. My goal is to try and stay as low tech and simple as possible.

Here are some pictures of my situation thus far. I apologize for the phone pictures and its inability to deal with the colour purple. I'm using a pair of 120 W blue and red LED grow lights with the seeds starting in Miracle Gro Seed Starter. I'm using Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Grow-Micro-Bloom in 1ml to a litre of water mixed. I'm also using General Hydroponics Bioroot in the same ratio. I also have a heat fan that I've set back about 4 feet that keeps the area around 24 C most of the day.

Everything all together. Off to the right in that plastic bag is my bucket with my oyster mushroom spawn munching on straw.

Here's a closer look at the plants.

As the seed packet in the back suggest, these are the green peppers. Unlike the tomatoes, the peppers decided to all rise from their graves at once. Spook peppers.

Tomaters. I have no idea why that one in the middle is so much larger than the rest. It germinated first and then basically hasn't stopped.

My Twilights. They are just now starting to sprout. These popped up a couple of days ago but no more have appeared since. I just want a couple so I'm ok with this for now.

Oh Nuclear Mayan, bless these crops.

I'm always interested in tips, feedback, suggestions, what ever. I really do want to learn as much as I can and want to progress this beyond the hobby stage. But I know baby steps are needed. I'm hoping in a week I can build the actual rig.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What kind of sensors are you using?

This might be more techie than is appropriate given the situation so far, but I'd try and set up some data logging as soon as possible to gather metrics, and possibly trigger notifications on certain events.

You should totally create a hydroponics thread! I've been vaguely thinking it'd be a fun thing to do, so I Have Some Opinions.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dori posted:

Finally no murder mystery is complete without desert (since most games are designed such that characters can die after desert) so I also made a 100% edible Necronomicake:

Necronomnomicon?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

ante posted:

What kind of sensors are you using?

This might be more techie than is appropriate given the situation so far, but I'd try and set up some data logging as soon as possible to gather metrics, and possibly trigger notifications on certain events.

You should totally create a hydroponics thread! I've been vaguely thinking it'd be a fun thing to do, so I Have Some Opinions.

At the moment I'm keeping a basic log of my day to day activities. My next pay will be going towards sensors. The heat fan has an internal thermostat so that one I'm not too concerned with. The pH Perfect line is "supposed" to help maintain a neutral pH, but obviously I'll definitely want to get a pH monitor when I can. The room I'm currently doing it in is actually pretty dry (despite being in the laundry room) so I might get a hydrometer just in case.

Also I guess I could do a thread. The more help the better. :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME

We got a tree earlier than we usually do this year, which means we need to keep it alive longer. I'm bad about remembering to water things, so I'm making an automatic indicator that'll remind me. It hangs over the side of the bucket, and has two float switches, one at "full" and one at "empty."

The pipe will protect the switches physically, and provides a little bit of a buffer to keep waves from causing the switches to flicker while filling. Next step is to slap an arduino or pi or something on there to handle monitoring the switches and controlling whatever indicator I use...maybe an LED strip, or poo poo, I dunno, maybe I'll make it tweet. IoT == Internet of Trees???

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Everything I do is so hacky and hurried, I'm always jealous of people that take the time to make things pretty clean.

My version of that pvc pipe would have looked like someone used a rusty hacksaw to cut it.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

bobua posted:

My version of that pvc pipe would have looked like someone used a rusty hacksaw to cut it.

It sounds like you need a new hacksaw blade.

I finished this guitar a little while ago, and forgot to post it. The idea behind the design was to make a Jazzmaster styled body that doesn't suck to play sitting down, and is easy to change tunings fast.
So you've got a Strat styled jack, a sane switching arrangement and a hardtail bridge.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bad Munki posted:

IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME

That's cool and all but I would have just set an alarm on my phone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

That's cool and all but I would have just set an alarm on my phone.

But that doesn't involve an over-engineered and complex solution to a simple problem.

Also it would have made my original post a lot more boring. :/

e: Also also I have fully mastered the art of ignoring alarms on my phone.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Have it trigger an air horn when water is low. You'll also master the art of pre-emptively topping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Hook up a water line with a solenoid and it can be self filling.