Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

keevo posted:

Does anyone here use the V-Moda Fader earplugs? Curious to see how it stacks up compared to the Etymotics.

ER4s? I don't think anything from V-Moda even comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Alfajor posted:

Serato doesn't do them either, 32 bar is the max.

That is some dumb rear end poo poo right there. Must not be big prog fans at those companies.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

dj bobby bieber posted:

ER4s? I don't think anything from V-Moda even comes close.

Nah not the earphones. I'm talking about the Earplugs: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Rese...48486323&sr=8-1

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm pretty sure you can make loops as long as you want but you need to manually set the in/out points beyond 32 beats.
Yeah, just create a 32 beat loop, then move the loop out point +32 points by selecting 'Loop out', select 32 beats, and click right (or Loop in + left to extend backwards).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Neat

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Wouldn't it just be easier to set a hot cue and manually loop? Because that's what I do, seems less lazy.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

bad day posted:

seems less lazy.

Do we get extra points for inefficiency?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

bad day posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to set a hot cue and manually loop? Because that's what I do, seems less lazy.

Because if you're gonna be 3-4 decks deep (and I hope you are if you're requiring 64 loving bar loops) it's nice to just idiot proof so you can concentrate on other stuff.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can someone recommend a dj cartridge? I have the technics clone audio technical lp120s and we destroyed one of the needles. I didn't know there was such a thing as a dj cartridge but I looked up the replacement part on Amazon and the q&a part said its not a dj cartridge

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Do you need a new cartridge or just a new stylus?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

just a stylus I guess. It plays okay but seems to get "dirty" really fast over the course of a song.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone recommend a dj cartridge? I have the technics clone audio technical lp120s and we destroyed one of the needles. I didn't know there was such a thing as a dj cartridge but I looked up the replacement part on Amazon and the q&a part said its not a dj cartridge

Shure M44-7s. I have some on my decks and 2 replacements tucked away. It's a great cart with good tracking and nice bass.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

b0red posted:

Shure M44-7s. I have some on my decks and 2 replacements tucked away. It's a great cart with good tracking and nice bass.

Haha, I came to the same conclusion independently and ordered one already. Thanks

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Shure M44-7s are the only answer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
M44-7's have phenomenal tracking. I prefer the Whitelabels though, been running them for drat near a decade. Tracking isn't quite as solid but the sound is amazing, very smooth with killer bass.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

revmoo posted:

M44-7's have phenomenal tracking. I prefer the Whitelabels though, been running them for drat near a decade. Tracking isn't quite as solid but the sound is amazing, very smooth with killer bass.

I've used some whitelabels but I find you need more weight to get the same level of tracking out of them. Still good needles regardless but the M44-7s are top

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

b0red posted:

I've used some whitelabels but I find you need more weight to get the same level of tracking out of them. Still good needles regardless but the M44-7s are top

Totally agree. I run 2.5g at home and if I'm playing somewhere I max them out. Of course I'm mostly on Traktor these days and those records track extremely well compared to normal records.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

revmoo posted:

Totally agree. I run 2.5g at home and if I'm playing somewhere I max them out. Of course I'm mostly on Traktor these days and those records track extremely well compared to normal records.

Plus can't you run them in a mode where if the needle jumps some grooves it really doesn't matter?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Relative mode, it's all I use. You can still get little glitches yeah, but it's pretty drat solid. Only really ever jumps if you're cutting up like crazy.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I was wondering, where do you guys go to learn technical skills and new mixing techniques? I realized that while I've made my own progression and have many different styles of mixing, I will sometimes be surprised by some cool thing I see when watching other DJs . Is there any good people on youtube for this stuff? I'm not looking for basics, more so just cool mixes.

For example I was watching brodinski in a video and he mixed out of a rap song by using a manual loop on a vocal, then turning off the key lock, then setting the brake to slow, then making the loop smaller to create a build nd leaving it for ages to make it sound like hes loving up and disorientating everyone, then hitting stop to create a pitch down and slowing on the vocals and a bit of confusion before playing OG BOBBY JOHNSON and everyone lost their minds. I've done this a few times in clubs since and its dope.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Post the vid

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

I'm confused. Is initiating a manual loop w/ pitch, length, and/or effect adjustments not a basic technique? That kind of thing has been around forever, it's especially used a lot with techno.

And dropping a top 40 track after doing anything, isn't exactly groundbreaking.

Maybe I'm not understanding... posting the video would be a cool thing to help explain

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

revmoo posted:

Post the vid

Not emptyquoting.

I'm sort of looking for something similar but on more house/trance stuff. I have a couple of go-to techniques but they mostly involve incredibly long mixes and occasionally switching between two drops. It kind of feels like I'm stuck in a rut.

Maybe I should actually practice more and see what comes out.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

warning: drunk edm djs that you probably hate playing rap songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCvpZYCL3oY
For some reason it isn't linking the time but its at 5:30.

The mix I'm using as an example isn't crazy it is just something I'd never thought of doing myself beforehand, which is why I was asking about places to learn different techniques to mix.

Mitztronic, what is a common mix for techno djs means nothing to me. I'm only around rap and EDM djs and tbh half the time they just do a backspin to mix or just beatmatch then crossfade on a snare build. This is why I'm looking to find more techniques!

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 8, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
tbh it's mostly just a matter of figuring out how to emulate a cool thing you saw someone do(and that particular example you did isn't terribly hard) and just experimenting yourself

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Ok. If anyone has any sources of learning that aren't just experiment or watch hours of mixes/other people hoping something cool will happen then please come forward!!

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 8, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just mixed this up: http://45.56.112.145/pt.mp3

I was DRUNK so it's kind of sloppy but there's a couple cool mixes in it. Sounds a lot better on hifi than headphones btw.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Harley C posted:

Ok. If anyone has any sources of learning that aren't just experiment or watch hours of mixes/other people hoping something cool will happen then please come forward!!

I would just watch Thre3style mixes. There's a lot of clever poo poo in there that you could do with a little bit of practice or could be made with edits.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Sorry to double post but the last one is a day old. Does anyone know of good resources/forums/websites on VJing? Not just playing videos off of Serato but also coming up with content and playing stuff from something like Resolume. I want to learn about that stuff.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
For anyone who is doing the level1/level2/level3 beatport promos, the 50% level3 code is live today, but they are not informing people. It was supposed to be live december 11th, but I have this nagging feeling it actually expires dec 11th and they are simply not informing people it's live now.

Anywho, if you're doing it, I'd use it ASAP to avoid any shady BS.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

keevo posted:

Sorry to double post but the last one is a day old. Does anyone know of good resources/forums/websites on VJing? Not just playing videos off of Serato but also coming up with content and playing stuff from something like Resolume. I want to learn about that stuff.

The inklen forums are...ok. Most of the threads are about Mix Emergency obviously but really you should be using that anyway if you're planning to play videos.

Also I tried doing that for a few months and gave up because videos are such a pain in the rear end to deal with. I eventually just downloaded a poo poo load of backgrounds/loops, filled up my media bank and just played random videos without thinking about it. Thankfully I only had to do that at one club I played at infrequently so it got me through those gigs.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 10, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I used to use my DDJ-SX in my room to fire my laptop/PC through because it was easier than faffing with extra cabling. I moved house a couple of months ago and I've only now just gotten around to setting it back up again. The left channel line in on channel strip 1 no longer works. That means no double vinyl deck action from this point forward unless I send it back to Pioneer... What a loving arse that's going to be though!

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

88h88 posted:

I used to use my DDJ-SX in my room to fire my laptop/PC through because it was easier than faffing with extra cabling. I moved house a couple of months ago and I've only now just gotten around to setting it back up again. The left channel line in on channel strip 1 no longer works. That means no double vinyl deck action from this point forward unless I send it back to Pioneer... What a loving arse that's going to be though!

Is there not an "authorized service center" in your area at least?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have noooooo idea. I'll hit them up after the new year, see if it's something easily fixable. No hurry, just noticed it and was mildly annoyed.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I have this track that has a horribly hosed up beat grid. I've never seen anything like it. It drifts back and forth every 8-16 measures (it seems to vary) by less than +/- 1/16th. I have had to go in and manually set 20 beat markers for traktor to use it, and there is still drifting inbetween markers . Its not the tempo because it keeps going back and forth.

If I had CDJs I'd try to mix the track on there to see if it's a software issue with traktor or WTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uXrXTSASK0

I've never seen such a thing... it's not a live recording, it's not traktor incorrectly identifying the tempo, the beats are not difficult to see, so I just don't get it. MP3 issues?

e: using it in a daw it's able to correctly identify the beat grid... maybe it's a software issue.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 31, 2015

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I always had problems with beat detection in Traktor...mainly on hip hop stuff but I'm not surprised it's having problems with that track. I think it's something to do with the synth. Download Serato DJ and see if it creates a beat grid for it. I'd be interested to see how it does.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I have that exact track and Serato's analysis engine chokes on it in a similar fashion.

There are these short "synth stabs"(for lack of a better word) every so often that are like half a measure long that I think aren't quantized or anything so it throws the whole grid off. I was able to get it gridded but it took a lot of downbeat markers and reminded me of why I stopped caring about beatgrids.

Out of curiosity I tried it in rekordbox and it did just fine without even having dynamic analysis on. Software's weird.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I have that exact track and Serato's analysis engine chokes on it in a similar fashion.

There are these short "synth stabs"(for lack of a better word) every so often that are like half a measure long that I think aren't quantized or anything so it throws the whole grid off. I was able to get it gridded but it took a lot of downbeat markers and reminded me of why I stopped caring about beatgrids.

Out of curiosity I tried it in rekordbox and it did just fine without even having dynamic analysis on. Software's weird.

Rekordbox is honestly the best piece of track analysis software around, no idea quite what the deal is with Serato or Traktor's algorithms but they're noticeably shittier than Rekordbox. Probably always will be too considering Serato seem to feel that software that kinda works is all good.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My line-in is dying on my mac (mixes are recording all crackly, etc.) I will eventually replace it, but is there a better external sound card alternative that could be used as a stop-gap?

88h88 posted:

Rekordbox is honestly the best piece of track analysis software around, no idea quite what the deal is with Serato or Traktor's algorithms but they're noticeably shittier than Rekordbox. Probably always will be too considering Serato seem to feel that software that kinda works is all good.

The latest version of Rekordbox is great. Earlier versions from a few years ago were crap, however, and at one time deleted half my library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
The sound cards on macs are pretty good. It's probably not too much to take it into an apple store or authorized repair center, depending on how long you plan to keep it before upgrading.

Depending on what quality, reliability, build, and how long you need it before upgrading, you can get a lovely <$10 USB sound cards that could possibly work.

It's one more piece of gear, one more thing to forget, one more thing to fail, etc. So if you only need it for a week or a month, a cheap one is the way to go, but if you're not going to upgrade for a year you should probably just replace the sound card on your mac.

edit: fixed

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 5, 2016