Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd hope so, I just started House of Chains and all he seems to care about is murdering people and raping their women. And he's kind of....dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

I'd hope so, I just started House of Chains and all he seems to care about is murdering people and raping their women. And he's kind of....dumb.
That's kind of the point. Keep reading.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Damo posted:

I just finished House of Chains.

So, this Karsa Orlong guy.... he's going places, isn't he?

You just wait till his best moment, towards the end of The Crippled God.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

zeal posted:

Not to imply that Karsa doesn't have a lot of fantastic moments in-between

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Karsa becomes Conan the Barbarian but like the traditional one who is crafty as gently caress and ready to just rock the poo poo out of everything.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Start worrying when Karsa makes a vow.

Then WITNESS!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

zeal posted:

His best moment is at the end of Reaper's Gale.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well then can't wait to see how he changes because right now he is literally a Dumb Barbarian. I know Felisin is in this book too, whom I can't stand, she is the worst Paran. She's loyal to a shithead like Beneth but curses Baudin despite the fact that he is the only reason she's even alive.

Ganoes seems to think Tavore is a good choice for Adjunct, hope he's right.

In Gardens of the Moon I had this idea that the Malazan Empire is some grimdark type empire but now I've noticed that even Malazan's enemies respect how orderly and law based their rule is. This is speculation but I've noticed this gods vs. mortals theme and the Malazan Empire doesn't seem all that interested in being pawns for the gods. No idea how it turns out but I'm guessing that Shai'iks rebellion fails, being the embodiment of an angry god and all that.

I've also developed a liking for Cotillion. Shadowthorne is pretty weird though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

his best moment is still punching a shark in House of Chains to be honest.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Malazan Book of the Fallen: Shadowthorne is pretty weird though

Good summary of the series.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Mustang posted:

I've also developed a liking for Cotillion. Shadowthorne is pretty weird though.

Cotillion's a surprisingly likable guy for being the God Patron of death machines and Shadowthrone grows on you, much like a fungus.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

his best moment is still punching a shark in House of Chains to be honest.

His best moment is getting laid the gently caress out in House of Chains by Keeper, a human, who is Urko Crust, one of the old guard. I'm pretty sure after Deadhouse Gates and House of Chains you have enough clues to work out his identity if you'd been paying real close attention, but it's not explicitly stated until the next book.

Get dunked on son.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Karsa has some of the best dialogue in the series, in my opinion. "...when I was young and took pleasure in the voicing of vows.". He's one of the best examples of non-epiphanic character developments I've ever read.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It seemed to me that Karsa Orlong was Erikson thumbing his nose at the noble savage trope. I definitely didn't like him when he was first introduced, but he grows on you. A lot of this series has characters who, on first impression, are pretty big dicks and seem like The Bad Guy, but later on you see something from their POV and it's a lot harder to hate them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Aranan posted:

It seemed to me that Karsa Orlong was Erikson thumbing his nose at the noble savage trope

Steven Erikson on Karsa Orlong and the Noble Savage

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

I tried to dig that link up, but Googling for it got me stuck on an endless redirect loop on Erikson's site. I thought it was down or something.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm actually starting to like Karsa now. "Too many words. Witness."

One thing I don't understand is how when you first see him it mentions he's seen "17 summers" but in House of Chains it mentions that he's 80 years old.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
One of the Malazan wikis says Karsa was born in 1079 of Burn's Sleep. GotM starts at 1163. Then again, the timeline of these books can be... nonlinear, at times (ha).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, iirc he was like sixty at the beginning of HoC was still considered an adolescent or younger adult. Teblor have a longer lifespan than humans.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ending of House of Chains is pretty depressing, especially when Tavore meets Felisin and doesn't know it.

Kind of disappointed Midnight Tides doesn't have any old characters, just a bunch of new ones. Is it any good at least? I think Deadhouse Gates is my favorite so far.

edit: Also, after seeing all the crazy poo poo Karsa does in House of Chains, Urko? must be a real badass since he beat up Karsa with one punch.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 8, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Re: Midnight Tides: do you know how Erikson creates a bunch of storylines, and starts weaving them together? Midnight Tides is that, writ large. It's not just a large sub-plot, either: after you're past it by a book or two, you'll wonder how the story was ever told without it. Malazan without the characters in Midnight Tides would be a far lesser story.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Midnight Tides is often regarded as one of the best in the series. Although it may seem lovely not having your favourite characters, it adds a few more fan favourites - just charge on through.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

acumen posted:

Midnight Tides is often regarded as one of the best in the series. Although it may seem lovely not having your favourite characters, it adds a few more fan favourites - just charge on through.

Yeah I hated the book to start mostly because the Tiste Edur are super boring, especially in the tribal setting. However once you make it to Letheras, you get to meet the best pair in the series: Tehol and Bugg.

Edit: Changed book to series, since that's what I meant to say.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 8, 2015

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Midnight Tides is great, but like everyone else, I was bummed when I started it and it wasn't about my Malazan bros.

Don't worry. Almost all these characters will become interesting and might become your favorites.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

Midnight Tides is great, but like everyone else, I was bummed when I started it and it wasn't about my Malazan bros.
I wasn't! It's still my favorite book in the series and you can tell it's backstory since you run into Trull in HoC. By the time I realized it wasn't like the Karsa section in HoC (now that one, that one pissed me off) I was thoroughly hooked.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Could one of you willing to read the Esselmont books spill the beans on what's going on in Assail?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Khizan posted:

His best moment is at the end of Reaper's Gale.
This a good and correct post.

Mustang posted:

Well then can't wait to see how he changes because right now he is literally a Dumb Barbarian.
This is exactly the point.

Aranan posted:

Don't worry. Almost all these characters will become interesting and might become your favorites.
I think Tehol and Bugg became my favorite goddamn thing in the series, honestly.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 9, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if you're 4 books deep into a fantasy series this dense and you still like it you should trust the author imo.

also i'd love a big spoiler break down of the ICE books because I'm never reading them

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

zeal posted:

Could one of you willing to read the Esselmont books spill the beans on what's going on in Assail?

Er, I have read the ICE books, AMA.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mustang posted:

edit: Also, after seeing all the crazy poo poo Karsa does in House of Chains, Urko? must be a real badass since he beat up Karsa with one punch.

He is a bad rear end. At some point in the books someone was saying the actual dude was capable of knocking down walls by punching, which is when his punching out Karsa and his appearance made me realise who it was. The spoilered dude is Urko Crust, brother of Cartharon Crust, who are both part of Kellanved and Dancer's starting crew. Both brothers went on to be Admirals for the empire. It's sort of non-obvious to a first timer but he is loving old, doesn't show it, hits like a brick and was fast enough that a Teblor warrior like Karsa didn't see it coming. He's probably close to becoming an ascendant, whatever that actually means I still don't know. I just assume it's the equivalent of a lvl 20 d&d character.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Assail spoilers: All the super cool huge battle and ultra asskickers that you heard about is wrong. Its a bunch of bullshit tribes doing fuckall. Oh, and Rake is alive, and the Crimson Guard and T'lan dust skeleton guys are cousins by way of magic.

Fuckin nailed it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Spermy Smurf posted:

Assail spoilers: All the super cool huge battle and ultra asskickers that you heard about is wrong. Its a bunch of bullshit tribes doing fuckall. Oh, and Rake is alive, and the Crimson Guard and T'lan dust skeleton guys are cousins by way of magic.

Fuckin nailed it.

I believe you are wrong about the alive person.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You will not convince me of that until I read it from the author. He is the golden boy that Esselmont roleplayed. He is Superman who has a Justice League when he smarter, faster, stronger than all the other heroes combined.

Its him, not some dude who fought with a sword for 12hrs straight.

They spent like 9 books saying how great he was, we were forcefed it for years. I just cant believe its not him and havent seen an argument to convince me otherwise.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Okay, when did Rake and Seerdomin play kef tanar? Spinnock and Seerdomin did all the time. Spinnock is one of Rake's closest OG crew and would know loving shitloads about him. Who the hell knows who Spinnock is? What possible point of plot or theme would be served by Rake coming back? He and his story are done and he hosed off into the Dark. Bringing him back does not serve him, does not serve his story and does not serve any theme other than babby's GMPC and, frankly, I do not think ICE is that kind of writer nor does he have that kind of editor.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

rejutka posted:

Okay, when did Rake and Seerdomin play kef tanar? Spinnock and Seerdomin did all the time. Spinnock is one of Rake's closest OG crew and would know loving shitloads about him. Who the hell knows who Spinnock is? What possible point of plot or theme would be served by Rake coming back? He and his story are done and he hosed off into the Dark. Bringing him back does not serve him, does not serve his story and does not serve any theme other than babby's GMPC and, frankly, I do not think ICE is that kind of writer nor does he have that kind of editor.

To add, we're pretty obviously meant to think it's Rake throughout the book, which would then defeat the idea of the kef tanar and "Son of Darkness is more of a title than it ever was" lines as the big reveal at the end of the book. I'm pretty convinced that Jethiss is Spinnock, there's much more textual evidence than the idea that he is Anomander returned.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

You will not convince me of that until I read it from the author. He is the golden boy that Esselmont roleplayed. He is Superman who has a Justice League when he smarter, faster, stronger than all the other heroes combined.

Its him, not some dude who fought with a sword for 12hrs straight.

They spent like 9 books saying how great he was, we were forcefed it for years. I just cant believe its not him and havent seen an argument to convince me otherwise.

There is no chance he's Rake.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
But its ICE.

Bars. Iron bars.

Now I know why they call you Iron Bars tehehe.

And a hundred other terrible things.

I know there is plenty of evidence, but its fricken ICE.

If it was Erikson I think it would obviousy be the other one, but its ICE.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, my impression was that the entire point of it was to give Fisher the Bard a chance to be BESTEST BUDS with you-know-who, which would completely undo an awesome and very definitively complete charcter arc, but whatevs :shrug:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

But its ICE.

Bars. Iron bars.

Now I know why they call you Iron Bars tehehe.

And a hundred other terrible things.

I know there is plenty of evidence, but its fricken ICE.

If it was Erikson I think it would obviousy be the other one, but its ICE.
Calling it right now: "Now I know why they call you Dancer!"

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, my impression was that the entire point of it was to give Fisher the Bard a chance to be BESTEST BUDS with you-know-who, which would completely undo an awesome and very definitively complete charcter arc, but whatevs :shrug:
One word: K'rul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm actually fine with what ICE ended up doing with K'rul, though the execution wasn't amazing. The weird thing was that K'rul was suddenly a woman. I don't have any problem with a gender-swapped or gender-bending character, and after reading FoD I guess gender is probably more of an affectation or conscious choice for azathenai anyway, but this seemed like a case of the authors not comparing notes more than anything :psyduck: