Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
1:43 was the most common die cast car scale in Russia, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

There was a great post on r/modelmakers a while ago going into detail on how the different geographic "standards" for model scale sizes developed, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

Too true, my Victory is in 1:84, but the corresponding cross section from the same supplier in the same series is in 1:72. My Gorch Fock is in 1:95, the Titanic in 1:250, both the Hood and Bismarck in 1:200 (there's that at least), and no one has been able to determine what scale the Amati/Hachette Pirates of the Caribbean Black Pearl is supposed to be, as it apparently differs right across the model itself.

I forgot, my canoe is 1/12 scale. :)

So assuming I ever finish the canoe and start my new project, I'll have 4 finished/started kits - 1/12, 1/24, 1/48, and 1/80. And the kits on the shelf are 1/12, 1/24, (2x) 1/48 and (2x) 1/64. Now all I need is a couple (or more) years with nothing else to do but work on models.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Well, at least we won't get bored, when we retire.

Finally got the Victory Cross Section planked from keel to the battery deck

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Bit of a photodump coming up!

This is the unfinished 251/21 that was collecting dust because I messed up the painting of the interior. I decided to make a tarp and turn it into a field converted 251/8 armored ambulance. Still have to do some small details like the tools, with indicators, tarp straps and the vinyl tracks.

Painted with Vallejo acrylics and weathered with oils, Vallejo washes and pigments.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 7, 2015

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
drat, that looks awesome. You did a great job with the white.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

Well, at least we won't get bored, when we retire.

Finally got the Victory Cross Section planked from keel to the battery deck

Nice!

That's a strange rib plan for a cross section. I take it that you have to do full planking on the interior as well?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's Monday morning, which means a vote count.

The Diarrhama sits dead still alone in a corner, loved by zero scale modeling freaks.

The Shitship slowly tugs along at 1 knot.

The Crapcar revved up all week, and it's up to 8 miles/hour.

But that doesn't help them, because the Pooplane burst along at mach 11.

So, I put the 11 posters who voted into a random name picker.

Brovine

Waitaminute, waitaminute. Hold up. Brovine doesn't want to choose a kit. So, eh, the next stub here is Blue Footed Booby. So I guess you win instead?

Your fabulous prize is to choose a lovely airplane kit for us to build and paint, to chase away the New Year's hangover.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 7, 2015

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Nice!

That's a strange rib plan for a cross section. I take it that you have to do full planking on the interior as well?

That's correct. In fact interior planking of the hold is the very next step before outer planking continues, as "full length" planks can still be used there.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 7, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

lilljonas posted:

Waitaminute, waitaminute. Hold up. Brovine doesn't want to choose a kit. So, eh, the next stub here is Blue Footed Booby. So I guess you win instead?

Your fabulous prize is to choose a lovely airplane kit for us to build and paint, to chase away the New Year's hangover.

gently caress. You're trying to make me late to work, aren't you? :v:

Will have a selection by the end of the day.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

gently caress. You're trying to make me late to work, aren't you? :v:

Will have a selection by the end of the day.

My coworkers are pretending to not hear my occasional "wrrrrrrr-phrphrphrhprhpprh-whooooooosh" anticipation sound effects.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So quick question for you guys. Does anyone know of a good resource to find out the proper normal weapons loadout for different fighter aircraft in different roles?

I ask because I just picked up a Saab Viggen kit, and it only comes with a center line tank. I found several resin detail pieces online, including an ecm pod, as well as a pair of awesome RB04 anti-ship missiles. I was thinking about building it with an anti-ship loadout, but I don't know what they carried in addition to the two RB04 missiles. (there are lots of different pods, such as chaff/flare countermeasure and ecm)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

jadebullet posted:

So quick question for you guys. Does anyone know of a good resource to find out the proper normal weapons loadout for different fighter aircraft in different roles?

I ask because I just picked up a Saab Viggen kit, and it only comes with a center line tank. I found several resin detail pieces online, including an ecm pod, as well as a pair of awesome RB04 anti-ship missiles. I was thinking about building it with an anti-ship loadout, but I don't know what they carried in addition to the two RB04 missiles. (there are lots of different pods, such as chaff/flare countermeasure and ecm)

I just briefly googled, and found these:
http://www.aef.se/Flygvapnet/Bilder/AJSHF37_Bev-stor.jpg
http://www.aef.se/Flygvapnet/Bilder/AJ37_N2_3_stor.jpg

Does it help? I can do translation from Swedish if you need it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Extremely helpful. Actually, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Would you mind doing a quick translation of one word for me? What is an akankapsel? Is it a gunpod of some sort?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 7, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Would you mind doing a quick translation of one word for me? What is an akankapsel? Is it a gunpod of some sort?

Akan is short for automatkanon, and kapsel means pod. So yeah, gunpod.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

lilljonas posted:

My coworkers are pretending to not hear my occasional "wrrrrrrr-phrphrphrhprhpprh-whooooooosh" anticipation sound effects.

I had a coworker who used to stick out his arms like wings and "fly" around the office.

For pooplane, I'm leaning toward the 1:72 Revell Vampire Mk 1. It's $15 on amazon with free shipping. Don't know what availability is like elsewhere. Would that be feasible for folks, keeping in mind build wouldn't happen until January?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's a massive £6 on from Amazon in the UK so I'm totally in for that.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I would be all for getting my Vamp on.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, that's been on my to get list for awhile...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is it sufficiently poopy? I thought Revell was generally good.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

If it's cheap and something unusual, i'm all for it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Ok, now I'm home, and did some more research. It seems to be a gun pod carrying the 30mm ADEN cannon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADEN_cannon

The earlier JA version of Viggen had an internal 30mm cannon of a different kind, Oerlikon KCA. The other versions of Viggen lacked any internal cannon, and either had gun pods or none at all.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

From 1979 it looks like:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/134906-heller-283-de-havilland-fb-5-vampire

I think any of those boxings should be the same kit.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Revell's older kits, especially the ones brought over from other companies, tend to have their own nice share of issues: Mold degradation, deformation, large amounts of flash, ill-fitting parts, missing or wrong details, sparse or nonexistent cockpits and decals, paint guides with their own set of issues...

Their new stuff tends to be overall pretty good if not great, but I've learned to be wary of the older kits after building a few. Oddly enough, this set has been on my to-buy list for some time too, mainly because I've built the Revell Focke-Wulf TL-Jäger Flitzer which is of a similar design.

EDIT: Gave the instructions a quick glance, and it looks like if you want to build it gears-down you'll have to cut 'em up. So much fun.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 7, 2015

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Its an unchanged rebox of a 1978 Heller kit. It should be poopy alright.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of boxes, how come a lot of kits look like they are really old based on the boxart style, but when you look them up they were issued after 2000. It may be that I am used to seeing Revelle kits where the artwork is crisp, but a lot of them seem really faded.

He'll, I almost didn't buy a Hasegawa kit because it looked old.(and I didn't know about brands other than Revelle Monogram at the time)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Greyhawk posted:

This is going to own. Though I'll hold off on officially declaring the choice until tonight just in case someone obje-

Amazon posted:

Thank you for shopping with us. You ordered "Revell 1:72 Vampire Mk.1 RAF". We’ll send a confirmation when your item ships.

poo poo.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 7, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Greyhawk posted:

Yesssss. Looking forward to trying out some new techniques.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

For anyone that can't find it anymore as Revell 03993: Revell has repackaged this one as 63993 with glue, paints and a brush.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of boxes, how come a lot of kits look like they are really old based on the boxart style, but when you look them up they were issued after 2000. It may be that I am used to seeing Revelle kits where the artwork is crisp, but a lot of them seem really faded.

He'll, I almost didn't buy a Hasegawa kit because it looked old.(and I didn't know about brands other than Revelle Monogram at the time)

I get the boxes not being updated, what weirds me out is that twice now I have opened a box and found an insert printed in the 70s inviting me to join the Tamiya builders club or some such. Send in a dollar, get sent a bunch of supplies, etc. How is that insert inside of boxes purchased in 2015 from different hobby shops?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slugworth posted:

I get the boxes not being updated, what weirds me out is that twice now I have opened a box and found an insert printed in the 70s inviting me to join the Tamiya builders club or some such. Send in a dollar, get sent a bunch of supplies, etc. How is that insert inside of boxes purchased in 2015 from different hobby shops?

The boxes have probably been in that hobby shop since 1974. I've seen some really old sun-bleached stuff lurking around those places.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The normal revell kit seems to be out of order in most places around her, yeah. Guess I'll get a crap brush and crap paints for my crap plane.

New idea for ultra challange: make a presentable version with just what you get in the gift set. Ouch.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I had a coworker who used to stick out his arms like wings and "fly" around the office.

For pooplane, I'm leaning toward the 1:72 Revell Vampire Mk 1. It's $15 on amazon with free shipping. Don't know what availability is like elsewhere. Would that be feasible for folks, keeping in mind build wouldn't happen until January?

See, this is why I didn't wanna pick. Your choice is something I'd never pick and yet much better. :)

Ordering now. And I'm gonna have to find out what of my old modelling stuff is salvageable and probably go paint/brush/glue shopping too...

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

lilljonas posted:

The normal revell kit seems to be out of order in most places around her, yeah. Guess I'll get a crap brush and crap paints for my crap plane.

New idea for ultra challange: make a presentable version with just what you get in the gift set. Ouch.

To be honest, the paints aren't THAT bad since they're just Revell Aqua Color paints(although you only get three colors, so that really limits things) although you don't wanna mix them or even paint over them with any non-Revell Aqua Colors. The brush is at least somewhat decent, and the glue's also good. I've gotten a few kits like this because the molds weren't available otherwise.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Totally up for Pooplane. Looking forward to it.

Jonny Nox posted:

OSL sucks and is kinda gimmicky

For those who don't know it's painting the light cast from a light source onto a mini in washes onto the model. When done right it looks amazing in photographs and kinda meh on the table.

If you're going to cast a slight glow onto the cannons from the canons themselves it say do it. If you are touching the shoulders you are crazy. If it touches the hands gently caress you for ruining an amazing paintjob.

Edit: remember also that the amount that light is visible on an object depends on the quality of the overall lighting. You've painted the rest of the model as if in daylight. So whatever you paint as the light source needs to be heavily highlighted as almost pure white to show it's brightness, I think.

I had a go with the OSL as I figured that it it did turn out poo poo then the cannons were just grey anyway so I could repaint.

I came out okay I think for a first go, but I think I prefer the more realistic matt grey cannons so will probably overpaint back to how it was but thought I would post some pictures just for peoples interest.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Brovine posted:

See, this is why I didn't wanna pick. Your choice is something I'd never pick and yet much better. :)

:ocelot:;-*

big_g posted:

Totally up for Pooplane. Looking forward to it.

I had a go with the OSL as I figured that it it did turn out poo poo then the cannons were just grey anyway so I could repaint.

I came out okay I think for a first go, but I think I prefer the more realistic matt grey cannons so will probably overpaint back to how it was but thought I would post some pictures just for peoples interest.

Looks kinda neat but I could absolutely see it being less neat in person. And it seems more convincing from some angles.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I think OSL can work very well in a shadowbox diorama where you can force perspective, but other than that... not so great...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man that reminds me that I've always wanted to do a Boris Vallejo inspired shadow box. Except the last time I saw a chainmail girl painting my first thought was that she should put on some nice warm clothes before she gets hypothermia (she was ankle deep in a swamp or something). I guess that means I'm officially too old to do that poo poo now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Amazon doesn't seem to have either version of that model on Prime. I suppose I could get it from some random shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It doesn't show up on their current model list, so it's going to be a lot harder to get.