Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

Sorry but screenshots and analysis shouldn't be needed for a film's merits to show. Watching it should be enough. That's why they are called motion pictures not still paintings. So doing that stuff, while cool, is really just a tryhard attempt (in a vacuum no less) to make mediocre films seem better than they were by cherry picking frames and examining them sans most of the cinematic elements

If you only ever just watch the thing you will only ever understand your own opinion on something. The whole point of these discussions is so we can appreciate other opinions.

It's all well and good to not like the prequels or think they're bad movies. But too many people take this as objective fact and not just an opinion they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

MrBigglesworth posted:

I rewatched the PT this week. I think Episode 1s biggest weakness is the lack of actual suffering of the planet under the blockade. We see nothing of the actual occupation other than a few shots of people being matched around. Bibble is constantly bitching of a death toll but we see none of it and have no way of knowing. As compared to ANH where we literally see a planet blown up.

Seeing the planet blow up doesn't matter, because we aren't invested in Alderaan at all. The emotional punch comes from seeing Leia being forced to grit her teeth and watch the planet blow up. This is driven home when we see Obi Wan wince and grab his chest, as he's forced to sit down and then describes to Luke what a planet blowing up actually feels like.

There's no comparable scene of Amidala being forced to watch her own people being killed or her wincing at some tragedy the blockade has caused on the planet, so it doesn't have nearly the same impact.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
That's. Pretty much what I said.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Holy poo poo, that's great!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is so perfect

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ApexAftermath posted:

That mostly it. Both Ford and the director Kershner were not liking how the scene was working so he just said "ok just go for it Harrison" and said action and Ford came up with that line. If it had been Lucas directing I doubt things would have played out that way. Probably would have gone with one of the earlier takes.

Gonz posted:

Yep. The script called for him to respond "I love you, too."

He thought that line wasn't something his character would say, and ad-libbed the one that everyone knows.

This actually isn't quite accurate. It's how Kershner himself used to tell the story, but he's slightly misremembering. By a miraculous stroke of luck, we actually have audio recording of the behind-the-scenes conversation on the set that day, and it tells exactly how it actually happened (yes, really). More or less the entire transcript is in The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

According to the transcript, the original exchange, as scripted, was:

quote:

LEIA … I love you. I couldn’t tell you before, but it’s true.

HAN Just remember that, ’cause I’ll be back.

Yes, just like the Terminator. Seriously though, it wasn't a great line, but it wasn't nearly as dopey as "I love you, too," which is what Kershner remembers it as being.

Also, Ford didn't just come up with the line all spur-of-the-moment after the camera started rolling like the story traditionally goes. Ford and Kershner spent some time in between takes brainstorming ideas for better lines:

quote:

Kershner: I’m not going to do it. [pause] “I wish I could have told you before.”

Ford: I think she ought to just say, “I love you,” as I’m passing by her.

Kershner: “I love you.” “Just remember that, because I’ll be back.”

Ford: No, I—

Kershner: Yeah, I’m just saying how it would go—

Ford: If she said, “I love you,” I could say very nicely, “Yeah, I know. Don’t worry, I’ll be back.” (“I think of myself as an assistant storyteller and the obligation is to find out what the story is before you have to tell it,” Ford says. “I don’t want to just make a director happy. I mean, clearly they give you the money to make the director happy. But I think that the best way to make him happy is to make myself happy with what I’m doing, to do the very best I can.”)

Kershner: Yeah, you’ve got to say, “I’ll be back.”

Ford: [laughs] But if she says, “I love you,” and I say, “I know,” it’s beautiful and it’s acceptable and it’s funny.

Then Billie Dee walks onto the set and starts discussing his lines with Kershner and Harrison. And then a little bit later Carrie Fisher shows up and finds out that all the guys are hanging around having a sausage party and changing a bunch of lines in the script without consulting her, and this starts a minor shitstorm:

quote:

Fisher: Harrison was here while you were making changes and I always feel like it’s behind my back, that you’re rehearsing.

Kershner: No, no, no. This we haven’t rehearsed yet. This we’re going to rehearse.

Fisher: Yeah, but I don’t know that, I—

Kershner: See, I couldn’t tell you before.

Fisher: I’m just talking about the other thing that you guys started to rewrite and I wasn’t here. I always I feel like, “It’s the bimbo again.” They can’t do anything with me, I guess.

Kershner: No, it’s not the bimbo. (“Harrison is a very fine actor,” Kershner says. “I regarded that scene as entirely his, which is why I gave him so much opportunity to tell me how he thought we should treat it. That led to a little tension with Carrie, who thought I was giving him too much head. Professional jealousy is very healthy, incidentally, and natural. But it was his scene.”)

Fisher: [irate tone] I would just like to be there. I don’t even need to say anything …

Kershner: You weren’t here, you weren’t here!

Fisher: You’ve got to know I’m here in the studio.

Kershner: Okay, alright, okay.

And Carrie storms off and they have to go calm her down and get her to come back. LOL. Oh yeah, and then, I poo poo you not, David loving Prowse walks over and starts badgering Kershner to take a look at this bodybuilding book he just wrote, and it's hilarious how Kershner immediately just waves him off so can talk to Peter Mayhew about, you know, the scene:

quote:

David Prowse: I’ve written a book called Fitness Is Fun. I want to give you a copy. I brought one in, so sometime this afternoon.

Kershner: Just published? Oh, great.

David Prowse: Yeah, I’m doing a signing at Harrods on Saturday.

Kershner: Gee, that’s great, that’s lovely you took the time to do that.

David Prowse: Yeah, I worked on it every Sunday all the way through. It took me the best part of nine months to do. It’s a lot to do with exercising. Your son would love it, because it’s really a textbook on weight training.

Kershner: Okay, well, I’ll buy one and have you sign it and give it to him. Boy, this is some scene. [More stage prep.] Oh boy. [to Peter Mayhew] Now, Chewie, we’ve got to talk.

So yeah, this is a good example about how there are upsides and downsides to every style of directing. Kershner ran a loose ship and that allowed for lots of good improvisation which improved the film, but it also occasionally led to there being a chaotic work environment which confused and frustrated the actors. Luckily Kershner was the nicest guy in the world and everyone respected him so it ended up okay.

But if this kind of thing was in any way routine, then it probably contributed in part to the extended shooting times and general lack of coordination that almost stopped the film from being completed due to cost overruns. If you try to run a loose ship on a big, complicated picture like Star Wars, poo poo spirals out of control really really fast. At the very least you'd need an exceptionally competent producer to help you keep everything on track. The problem was, Gary Kurtz apparently wasn't doing that. He claims to this day that he was just trying to support his director and protect him from the tyrannical reign of George Lucas the Tight-fisted Money Man, but evidence and common sense belies that explanation. Kershner has never had anything but good things to say about George as a producer, specifically praising him for keeping to his word and giving Kershner as free a hand as he wanted.

The problem wasn't that Lucas didn't want to spend the money, but that Kurtz kept giving Lucas what turned out to be woefully lowballed estimates for the budget. Lucas couldn't keep going back to the bank and asking for more and more loans every time the budget kept inflating due to Kurtz's inability to manage the production. The bank started laughing in his face.

And for years Lucas (as far as I know) didn't say a word in public about any of this basically being Kurtz's fault, instead blaming it on himself for not taking a more active producing role on-set, all while Kurtz went around on the interview circuit constantly accusing Lucas of selling out and claiming that they parted ways due to creative differences. It wasn't until a few years ago that this side of the story really came out, and it became obvious that Kurtz was actually unofficially fired from his role as producer on Empire and replaced with Howard Kazanjian, because he couldn't keep the budget under control.

It's absolutely insane that Lucas gets all the flak he does, while Gary Kurtz is praised as the hero of A New Hope and Empire. Kurtz had problems controlling the budget and controlling department heads on A New Hope, and as a result Lucas had misgivings about hiring him back for Empire, but did so anyway out of loyalty. Then Kurtz nearly completely hosed the pooch on Empire and almost destroyed Lucasfilm as a company in the process.

In an ironic twist, years later Kurtz went on to produce Return to Oz for Walt Disney Pictures, which, you guessed it, began to fall behind schedule and go over-budget. Guess who personally stepped in to help bail the film out? George Lucas.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 12, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Well, poo poo. You learn something new every day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cnut you do good work never stop.

That is really eye opening. I especially love Prowse pushing his book on the set.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I think my favorite nugget of behind-the-scenes Star Wars knowledge is just how much of a dipshit David Prowse was.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Almost every shot people have picked out of the PT as examples of good cinematography are actually awful anyway

Go for it!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I'm confused. That doesn't actually say anything about the moment where they came up with the "I know" line which is all I was talking about. All that stuff Cnut posted would have happened prior to that so....?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm confused. That doesn't actually say anything about the moment where they came up with the "I know" line which is all I was talking about. All that stuff Cnut posted would have happened prior to that so....?

Reread the first bolded quote block.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ApexAftermath posted:

Uh, this part seems to be exactly what you're talking about :

quote:

Ford: I think she ought to just say, “I love you,” as I’m passing by her.

Kershner: “I love you.” “Just remember that, because I’ll be back.”

Ford: No, I—

Kershner: Yeah, I’m just saying how it would go—

Ford: If she said, “I love you,” I could say very nicely, “Yeah, I know. Don’t worry, I’ll be back.” (“I think of myself as an assistant storyteller and the obligation is to find out what the story is before you have to tell it,” Ford says. “I don’t want to just make a director happy. I mean, clearly they give you the money to make the director happy. But I think that the best way to make him happy is to make myself happy with what I’m doing, to do the very best I can.”)

Kershner: Yeah, you’ve got to say, “I’ll be back.”

Ford: [laughs] But if she says, “I love you,” and I say, “I know,” it’s beautiful and it’s acceptable and it’s funny.

That's apparently the moment when "I love you" is introduced. If there's no "I love you", then there's no "I love you too" to respond with.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zoran posted:

I think my favorite nugget of behind-the-scenes Star Wars knowledge is just how much of a dipshit David Prowse was.

Now I'm imagining him in the Vader suit between takes pitching his new book in his dorky accent to whoever will listen :yikes:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

Yes we are. He's trapped on a dead-end planet with no career prospects forced to do a job for his uncle who refuses to allow him to leave. He's not meant to be a farmer. He has too much of his father in him.

Luke's discomfort is incredibly understandable to a good percentage of viewers. He's a farmboy (literally) who wants to do other things in his life but is guilted and controlled into sticking around to help his family. Even if you don't have personal experience with that sort of thing you can empathize with it.

We are not shown Luke doing any farming whatsoever.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Zoran posted:

Reread the first bolded quote block.

Ah whoops. Missed it. Ok so it's slightly different from the story told before. Fine.

The funny part is how Lucas was so worried about it that he was going to have two preview screenings with the "I know" line and one with the original line. Obviously he saw that audiences are not morons and reacted very strongly in a positive way to the line.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Turns out that David Prowse was really good at helping Patrick Magee drug Malcolm McDowell, but not so good at acting.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

There's another kind of funny, convoluted joke behind all this. First of all, Dex himself was based on Mel Sharples, the owner of Mel's Diner from the 1974 Scorsese film Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and subsequent TV series Alice:

The drive-in diner from American Graffiti is also called Mel's:

Hence the staging of the joke picture:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Also I'll take a director who is more loose and gets those improvised lines any day over a guy who shoots one or two takes of just what was on the page and calls it good regardless of the quality of the delivery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He works on a moisture farm. We see him standing around a lot staring into the distance and breathing heavily. That's how the moisture is made.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

euphronius posted:

Cnut you do good work never stop.

That is really eye opening. I especially love Prowse pushing his book on the set.

I can't take credit for this one, I just bought a publicly available e-book and used the power of fair use doctrine to copy/paste it onto the Internet with commentary! Being an Ambiguously Autistic Star Wars Scholar (™) on a dying comedy forum means this is fair use, right? I feel like if I was more autistic I would know this.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
when does this poo poo world premiere? I'm going totally dark from then until thursday. no internet no radio in the car. I don't even want to know if its good or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yes we are. You know the part where he's preparing and prepping R2 and C3P0? That is part of his future farming work. They bought those droids to do farm work. It is the space version of fixing a tractor. This is made very plain in the film and the way Luke acts. He storms off to do his farm chores.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 12, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The Walrus posted:

when does this poo poo world premiere? I'm going totally dark from then until thursday. no internet no radio in the car. I don't even want to know if its good or not.

Monday night (Pacific time).

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

I can't take credit for this one, I just bought a publicly available e-book and used the power of fair use doctrine to copy/paste it onto the Internet with commentary! Being an Ambiguously Autistic Star Wars Scholar (™) on a dying comedy forum means this is fair use, right? I feel like if I was more autistic I would know this.

Copyright law just isn't your autistic interest, I suppose. But yeah, this is really cool stuff, what would you say are the best behind-the-scenes books?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Walrus posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/releaseinfo

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Moisture farming has always been hilarious to me. Like I know it'd probably be a valuable business on a world made of coarse, rough sand that gets eveywhere, and there's no natural bodies of water anywhere. But just the name. I mean, can you imagine Luke standing around listening to Owen badgering on how to get moist? The trade shows must be a blast.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's farming that, in practice, probably is a whole lot more like running maintenance on an assembly line. The vaporators do all the work; the people are there to keep them running.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

Moisture farming has always been hilarious to me. Like I know it'd probably be a valuable business on a world made of coarse, rough sand that gets eveywhere, and there's no natural bodies of water anywhere. But just the name. I mean, can you imagine Luke standing around listening to Owen badgering on how to get moist? The trade shows must be a blast.

Owen just hangs out doing spice all day while the Freman do the real work.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hes a Making the Girls Moist(ure) Farmer

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

It's farming that, in practice, probably is a whole lot more like running maintenance on an assembly line. The vaporators do all the work; the people are there to keep them running.

I was always a bit foggy on the concept of 'harvest season'

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Walrus posted:

There's a desert in Chile that hasn't gotten rain in 400 years or something along those lines, but it does get periods of heavy mist come in, so I assume they're not directly at the equator and during the winter they might get some precipitation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Probably takes a while to gather enough to make it worthwhile to take to market, it doesn't go bad, and you can wait till a regular seasonal point when moisture prices go up to optimize your value.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

From what I remember, Beru tended a hydroponics lab, so they farmed moisture and crops.

Serf
May 5, 2011

For some reason, this dude records his son's reaction to watching A New Hope for the first time. It's interesting how this is (ostensibly) the kid's first time watching ANH but he already knows a lot about Star Wars. I guess things like Darth Vader being Luke's father are just part of pop culture background radiation at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zJVXhEE0U

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is way, way too ingrained in U.S. culture to not know those things. My office is chock-full of parents who won't let their kids watch the movies because the children are too young but are buying them tons of Star Wars stuff because somehow the kid has it in their head they love it and want it for Christmas and know all the main plot-points.

I've also learned some of my co-workers are, gasp, Prequelists and reject the Triune.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Speaking of which, does anybody know any people who saw the prequel trilogy as kids before they ever watched the original trilogy? Long-time Star Wars fans were tainted by their expectations, and I suspect newbies received it better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Really the Yoda reveal is a bigger loss than Vader being Luke's father.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

computer parts posted:

I could see a certain chilling potentiality in Yoda being present -- what if he's gone mad or senile in his exile? What if Ben tried to give Luke the best advice he could and it wasn't good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I remember watching ESB as a kid before the Internet came to my town and being really surprised that the funny green old man was Yoda.

Also I was talking with a co-worker's 10-year-old son and apparently he's never seen any of the movies, just the cartoons, and thinks Anakin is the coolest guy ever.

• Locked thread