Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kylaer posted:

I'm glad you all enjoyed it! If you have any specific feedback - things you liked, things that I could have done better - I'd be happy to hear it. I am always seeking to become a better writer.

The concept of a slow-motion duel was the inspiration that got me to write the whole piece. That's usually the way of things, I get one image in my mind and then have to write a story to support it.
The slow-motion duel really reminds me of Tai-Chi push hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm reading Armageddon, and I wanna know what the meeting was like when Dembski-Bowden first pitched the idea of a novel about a Space Marine with depression.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

boom boom boom posted:

I'm reading Armageddon, and I wanna know what the meeting was like when Dembski-Bowden first pitched the idea of a novel about a Space Marine with depression.

"Yeah, sure whatever, just make sure the Space Marines win and you call them Astartes and use the proper High Gothic copyright skirting terminology"

I'm currently reading The Armor of Contempt. The first two arcs of Gaunt's Ghosts had their ups and downs, but so far everything onwards from Traitor General has been fantastic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

boom boom boom posted:

ADB's got some of the angstiest characters in the Black Library, but he's a good enough writer to make it work.

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Yeah, sure whatever, just make sure the Space Marines win and you call them Astartes and use the proper High Gothic copyright skirting terminology"
I remember he said on his blog a while ago that he intentionally almost never calls them Space Marines because that sounds silly to him, so he always goes with Astartes or what have you. It's a nice change.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Any recommendations for the Meduson anthology? The list of writers seemed promising at least.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So when the gently caress is the next good book coming out?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

So when the gently caress is the next good book coming out?

But aren't you enjoying these riveting short stories about the grimdarkness of the 41st millenium that will take no time what so ever to read?

Or in other words, who the gently caress knows. Pretty sure I have to sign up for their new newsletter to get anything from Black Library or something because how much they change their poo poo.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Good story Kylaer, easily worthy of the Anthology books the BL produces.

I thought for sure the story would end with the guy dead. It seems typically Imperial to employ skilled Artisans in decorating their most secret institutions and then killing them to keep the secret but to also keep the work truly unique.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Now I can imagine a Rogue Trader and an Inquisitor having a cold war for the employ of an Artisan simply to rub it in the other's face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished reading The Armour of Contempt. Man that was depressing. I've heard people say that the Gaunt's Ghosts books are lighter and happier than regular 40K, but I don't feel that. They show a functioning Imperium, yes, but the big difference is the people in it. Regular 40K takes the violence and oppression to such extremes that you have to consider every person is a raving lunatic just to function in such a mad universe.

GGs on the other hand makes everyone horribly human, with all the awfulness that entails. The Inquisitors and Commissars enforcing the Emperor's Will are often fully aware of how terrible they are, but they are resigned to continue with their actions because it is the only way they know how to survive. That self awareness strikes me as much more horrifying than a simple crazy man shooting people because he believes that will encourage others to fight harder.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

Finished reading The Armour of Contempt. Man that was depressing. I've heard people say that the Gaunt's Ghosts books are lighter and happier than regular 40K, but I don't feel that. They show a functioning Imperium, yes, but the big difference is the people in it. Regular 40K takes the violence and oppression to such extremes that you have to consider every person is a raving lunatic just to function in such a mad universe.

GGs on the other hand makes everyone horribly human, with all the awfulness that entails. The Inquisitors and Commissars enforcing the Emperor's Will are often fully aware of how terrible they are, but they are resigned to continue with their actions because it is the only way they know how to survive. That self awareness strikes me as much more horrifying than a simple crazy man shooting people because he believes that will encourage others to fight harder.

The only "lighter and happier" 40k books I know of are from the Ciaphas Cain series.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're thinking of the Ciaphas Cain books, Gaunt's Ghosts is dark as hell.

e:fb

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Does anyone have a link to that one rather extensive 40k/Song of Fire and Ice crossover?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Does anyone have a link to that one rather extensive 40k/Song of Fire and Ice crossover?

I have it on an external ill look for it if no one posts

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Here you go, hope you enjoy.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How about the family guy and 40k crossover?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How about the family guy and 40k crossover?

If this is a real thing I wanna see it

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's a comic:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so are any of these 30K books good? as in these ones they are making about the super ork invasion.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so are any of these 30K books good? as in these ones they are making about the super ork invasion.

Idk but you should read helsreach if you haven't

Has anything good come out recently

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Waroduce posted:

Idk but you should read helsreach if you haven't

Has anything good come out recently
I don't know about that, but I'm just re-reading the First Heretic-Know No Fear-Betrayer trilogy, and I recommend it heartily to anyone who hasn't read it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

You should read Battle for the Abyss. It's a very unique book in the setting, nothing quite comes close to its level of quality.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's a very unique book in the setting, nothing quite comes close to its level of quality.

This is a true statement.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 12, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You should read Battle for the Abyss. It's a very unique book in the setting, nothing quite comes close to its level of quality.

Nemesis is very close to it in terms of how well it is written and the contribution it makes to the canon.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fearless posted:

Nemesis is very close to it in terms of how well it is written and the contribution it makes to the canon.

I would also recommend Siege of Castellax, it's not part of the 30k continuity but it's equally well written!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I thought this thread was dead, did the new Gaunt's Ghosts book come out yet?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought this thread was dead, did the new Gaunt's Ghosts book come out yet?

July 2016 was the last thing I saw.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

edit: nm I'm a prick and I half read this before responding. ignore me.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 12, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just finished a re-read of SPACE MARINE and it is as batshit crazy and homoerotic as I remember. Also it's loving rad and should be required reading for any 40k fan :black101:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just finished a re-read of SPACE MARINE and it is as batshit crazy and homoerotic as I remember. Also it's loving rad and should be required reading for any 40k fan :black101:

Is that the one that mentions SPACE MARINES farting?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Is that the one that mentions SPACE MARINES farting?

Hell yes, also confessors sitting on pain cushions then crapping out the confessed sins, Chaplains drinking initiates' blood then crapping out jewel like objects of wonder, a Chaos sorceror licking poo poo off his hand, basically there is a lot of gross scatalogical weirdness in the book.

Also - the brutal slaughter of feral humans who may or may not be innocents as a way of calming down pubescent SPACE MARINES
Also - Masochism. So much masochism.
Also - Squats. Lots of squats.
Also - A MOTHERFUCKING ZOAT.

It is an amazing counterpoint to WE ARE THE SACRED GUARDIANS OF HUMANITY, it is strange and baroque and pretty much insane.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The best piece of contemporary fluff is the servitor trade union

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
Have any of you read I Am Slaughter by Dan Abnett? I just finished it yesterday and I think it was, well, okay? Considering it's just a prequel to the rest of the books it seems that the series will be pretty interesting. It does take a while to "Get there", though. What did you guys think?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is there some word as to why there's like nothing coming out for Horus heresy?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What do you mean? I get emails from Black Library like every other day telling us about new ebooks and novellas and poo poo for the HH.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

What do you mean? I get emails from Black Library like every other day telling us about new ebooks and novellas and poo poo for the HH.

Like he said, nothing. Unless you want to spend :10bux: for a 4 page "novella".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

No word, but their schedule from every author has been pushed back since last year. So it must be something corporate side, not any single author delaying the project

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

No word, but their schedule from every author has been pushed back since last year. So it must be something corporate side, not any single author delaying the project

Pay disputes? I know the authors don't get poo poo and the only ones I know they are writing right now is Dan Annett and ADB which are two of their biggest names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Maybe someone realised that they are wasting money paying abominable hacks, and that sales reflect that when compared to ADB and Abnett.

It's Christmas, the time to believe in miracles.