Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mallamp posted:

Is it Literature though? It's like ancient equivalent of self help books sold as giant bargain bundle on amazon

not exactly, but whether the Bible itself counts as Literature is kind of a pointless discussion because it has been so strongly influential on western literature and art that knowledge of the Bible (or at least knowing some of the basic stories and concepts in it) is kind of essential if you are interested in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Burning Rain posted:

Snow Country is a short novel, but it demands undivided attention to the smallest details throughout the book. I haven't read his microfiction, though. If you're interested in the genre,I can recommend Peter Handke, Lydia Davies or Eduardo Galeano. I'm sure some of their microfiction work had appeared online, so you can see if it appeals to you.

Thanks, I read Lydia Davis already so I'll take a look at those others.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mallamp posted:

Is it Literature though? It's like ancient equivalent of self help books sold as giant bargain bundle on amazon

Durr. Hurr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok since no one offered any suggestions :colbert: I picked up the Luminaries.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I haven't read the Luminaries but I did read some grumpy NZ literary guy's scathing review of it, where he basically says that it's a bloated pastiche of the victorian novel, and that like most of the NZ literature that's actually been widely read it's not very good. That guy is some kinda weird conservative though so maybe he's full of poo poo.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

mallamp posted:

Which makes me wonder will there be religion based on Coelhos Alchemist one day? Is there already?

It certainly isn't just self-help, have you actually read parts of the bible? And large parts of it are Literature.

If I'm reading the bible in english, it's the new oxford annotated bible because of the fantastic annotation.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

I haven't read the Luminaries but I did read some grumpy NZ literary guy's scathing review of it, where he basically says that it's a bloated pastiche of the victorian novel, and that like most of the NZ literature that's actually been widely read it's not very good. That guy is some kinda weird conservative though so maybe he's full of poo poo.

Oh no I better return it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just checked out City On Fire for my long book I'm going to read like a third of over winter break

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I feel like if you are going to read a bible for culture's sake might as well be the KJV because that is the most consciously reflected in culture

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Has anyone ever read Parallel Stories by Peter Nadas? I am going to give it a third try this year but man the first two tries fizzled out hard. There are only so many chapters I can take of a man smelling his own balls.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Has anyone ever read Parallel Stories by Peter Nadas? I am going to give it a third try this year but man the first two tries fizzled out hard. There are only so many chapters I can take of a man smelling his own balls.

in addition to soundtracks we need scratch and sniff, apparently.

Swagger Dagger please post your impressions as you go. I loved that book so much

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

blue squares posted:

Oh no I better return it

I got a sort of water-logged copy of The Luminaries for trading a second-hand bookman some politics textbooks I picked out of the paper recycling. But if I ever see a second-hand Cities on Fire, you bet I'll pay as much as £6 for it.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 13, 2015

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

mallamp posted:

Which makes me wonder will there be religion based on Coelhos Alchemist one day? Is there already?

clicked this thread because it is the only thread that isn't about Harry Potter or Harry Potter in space, and then found the worst possible opinion on what is literature instantly anyway

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Grandmother of Five posted:

clicked this thread because it is the only thread that isn't about Harry Potter or Harry Potter in space, and then found the worst possible opinion on what is literature instantly anyway

welcome to The Book Barn.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am reading the Mersault Investigation right now. It has be thinking of other post-colonial or just post-modern revisions of classic fiction

We got Wide Sargasso Sea
Windward Heights

Anyone know other books that have been "revised" or "reperspectived" into new books?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am reading the Mersault Investigation right now. It has be thinking of other post-colonial or just post-modern revisions of classic fiction

We got Wide Sargasso Sea
Windward Heights

Anyone know other books that have been "revised" or "reperspectived" into new books?

Foe by Coetzee is a pretty good take on Robinson Crusoe.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We got Wide Sargasso Sea
Windward Heights

Let's see, a few that probably fit the bill:

Young Bergdorf Goodman Brown by Mark Leyner
Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow (rewriting Michael Kohlhaas by Heinrich von Kleist)
The Public Burning by Robert Coover is basically rewriting Horatio Alger's Ragged Dick novels, though I think the book kind of points this out itself iirc
Middle Passage by Charles Johnson is partially tackling Moby Dick and pretty much directly rewrites Benito Cerino also, though that's a short story

Then there's intertextual stuff that isn't a rewrite per se, but directly responds to another piece, like DFW's Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way being heavily linked to Barth's Lost in the Funhouse.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow (rewriting Michael Kohlhaas by Heinrich von Kleist)

Ragtime, is more like "classic story retold in a new era." I mean novels that explicitly exist in the same universe as the original story from a different perspective.

Oh gently caress Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead too

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ragtime, is more like "classic story retold in a new era." I mean novels that explicitly exist in the same universe as the original story from a different perspective.

Ah gotcha, that's a tough one. Hmm, there's Jack Maggs by Peter Carey, which is basically Great Expectations from the perspective of Magwitch.

If the source doesn't explicitly have to be a novel, there's Tom Cho's Look Who's Morphing, which is a collection of stories told from the perspective of characters from movies / shows / etc. that usually go completely off the rails.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Swagger Dagger posted:

I just checked out City On Fire for my long book I'm going to read like a third of over winter break

Report back on how this is please.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Wind Done Gone?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Grendel, too.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I really like supernatural horror. The Accursed for example, was delightful. Does anyone in this thread have recommendations that they think I'd like if I liked that a lot?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hate Fibration posted:

I really like supernatural horror. The Accursed for example, was delightful. Does anyone in this thread have recommendations that they think I'd like if I liked that a lot?

Turn of the Screw, Haunting of Hill House

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm reading Beauty is a Wound by Eka Kurniawan. It's about this whore in Indonesia and her family (her forebears and her daughters, etc. etc), and covers stuff like the Japanese invasion during WWII, the fight for independence from the Dutch, etc. I've been enjoying it, kinda reminds me of an east/south Asian version of 100 Years of Solitude - though with less magic realism. (Yeah, the main character comes back to life after being dead for 21 years, but that's pretty much the only weird/supernatural thing that's happened so far.)

Also City on Fire and Luminaries were both quite good I thought, but I have a lot of patience with really really long books.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the penelopiad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is Grendel any good? It piques my interest but everything I've read about it makes it sound very my-first-philosophical-novel (to read, not for the author)

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I'm sorry guys I now understand that Bible, a book written in Spirit of Jesus our Lord and Savior is the only book worth reading
I've joined westboro baptist church where we read it every day. gently caress Odyssey, this is the beginning and end of capital L literature
I cursed on internets so I must cutoff my ethernet cable and go and repent now, sorry again my brothers and god bless

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

mallamp posted:

I'm sorry guys I now understand that Bible, a book written in Spirit of Jesus our Lord and Savior is the only book worth reading
I've joined westboro baptist church where we read it every day. gently caress Odyssey, this is the beginning and end of capital L literature
I cursed on internets so I must cutoff my ethernet cable and go and repent now, sorry again my brothers and god bless

What's your problem with the bible mate

Also the iliad is vastly more important than odysseia

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

even if the bible is often really boring in itself, lots of literature makes allusions to it

having a decent grasp of the bible really helps one appreciate a lot of books

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is Grendel any good? It piques my interest but everything I've read about it makes it sound very my-first-philosophical-novel (to read, not for the author)

It's a bit cheezy but overall I found it to be a pretty good and entertaining read. But I read it like 15 years ago so I don't remember it terribly well.

Hate Fibration posted:

The Mysteries of Udolpho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's better than most readers give it credit for being.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah, Grendel isn't bad at all. It's not mindblowing or anything, but it's an interesting read. If you like Sartre's fiction at all (in terms of both philosophy and prose) you'd probably enjoy it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mallamp posted:

The bible is not remotely similar to a self help book, either in content, style or social function, which is what you said. Whether you think it's the word of god or not is irrelevant.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

A human heart posted:

The bible is not remotely similar to a self help book, either in content, style or social function, which is what you said. Whether you think it's the word of god or not is irrelevant.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Idk guys I read the bible and it inspired me to collect a bunch of foreskins and I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cloks posted:

Idk guys I read the bible and it inspired me to collect a bunch of foreskins and I'm feeling pretty good about that.

yeah same

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
hi childfuck thread, just read crime and punishment and was wondering why raskolnikov killed the pawnbroker. thanks in advance!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

hi childfuck thread, just read crime and punishment and was wondering why raskolnikov killed the pawnbroker. thanks in advance!

A lot of it comes down to this idea that Luzhin puts forth about "loving yourself above all else," and how he's convinced that acquiring wealth for oneself also acquires wealth for others. This echoes the conversation Raskolnikov overhears in the tavern, about killing someone and using their wealth for the common good of others. Raskolnikov later tries to justify himself by claiming that people with strong wills exert mastery over others--they are more just, more right. He deludes himself into thinking that killing her is in the service of humanity.

When he's talking to Sonia, he essentially admits that he did it to bridge that gap, to become "daring." The irony of course is that nothing that comes from it actually ends up contributing to the "common good," even though that's basically the crux of Raskolnikov's self-justification for the act.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Normal Adult Human posted:

he was starving, sick and really poor and came up with a justification for robbing and killing a wealthy and detested woman