Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Since all of you answered my questions pretty nicely last time here's another, tougher one:

What happened to the Live Action Movie (Peace Be Upon It) that was announced a decade ago? And tangentially related: Who has the right to what?

You ever see Man of La Mancha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Alison Keith's Misato is never great but she's just terrible at the start.
I agree that at the beginning she's real bad and squeaky, but by the end she sounds more "correct" to me than Kotono Mitsuishi.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Radio Spiricom posted:

you really ought to watch the sub, the dub completely murders the sound design. also shinji is voiced by a woman for a reason and anno gave very specific directions to most of the voice actors (this is all especially relevant when it comes to end of eva) i think sub vs dub is a boring argument but in the case of evangelion it's important.

There is also the dub team taking some, to put it extremely diplomatically, "creative freedoms" with some sound effects in Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Utritum posted:

There is also the dub team taking some, to put it extremely diplomatically, "creative freedoms" with some sound effects in Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion.

I think you meant to say "direct improvements". Flamethrower bit is best.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Canadian posted:

:barf:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Evil Canadian posted:

HIT 'EM AGAIN!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah and now that Evangelion Robin is dead, our only hope in Hollywood is noted Eva fan Robert Blake

Boner Robin is dead? I just saw him at dragon con, I could have sworn.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Utritum posted:

It's a shame a bit, the liberties they took, but the English version is its own monster, and actually, rewatching it for the first time in years, it's quite good. Spencer's Shinji has always been, for me, at least as good as the original, and his EoE performance is really quite good as is Everyone else's, but really Spencer knocks it out of the park in EoE.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My main problem with EoE's dub, and this is something I didn't know until after, is that they also replaced sound effects. I can't understand that. Someone at ADV thought it be a good idea to put that ridiculously goofy "squish' or "sploosh" or whatever the gently caress sound effect in the movie. When everything is going to hell, and SEELE goons are massacring people, and then Misato saves the day by headshotting the one that nearly got Shinji IIRC, the sound of his brains being splattered everywhere was something straight out of a Nick cartoon.

Note: I might be remembering events wrong but I do absolutely remember that ludicrous sound effect. It killed any potential atmosphere and then pissed on its corpse.

Shinjobi posted:

EoE was done by Manga Corps Entertainment, a company that was not ADV.

Manga Corps were notorious for being really, really lovely.

Oh, well that explains it. my bad.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 13, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

NikkolasKing posted:

My main problem with EoE's dub, and this is something I didn't know until after, is that they also replaced sound effects. I can't understand that. Someone at ADV thought it be a good idea to put that ridiculously goofy "squish' or "sploosh" or whatever the gently caress sound effect in the movie. When everything is going to hell, and SEELE goons are massacring people, and then Misato saves the day by headshotting the one that nearly got Shinji IIRC, the sound of his brains being splattered everywhere was something straight out of a Nick cartoon.

Note: I might be remembering events wrong but I do absolutely remember that ludicrous sound effect. It killed any potential atmosphere and then pissed on its corpse.

It shows up in a lot of scenes. I want to say it plays again when the MP Evas are impaling themselves with the lances, too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have still never seen EoE

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Would anyone musically inclined be interested on collabing on a version of Everything You've Ever Dreamed?

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Spencer's Shinji has always been, for me, at least as good as the original, and his EoE performance is really quite good as is Everyone else's, but really Spencer knocks it out of the park in EoE.

The thing with Spencer is that you can tell he grows progressively into the role as the series goes on. He starts off playing Shinji in a somewhat goofy manner, but around the middle of the series the character has clicked with him.

Milky Moor posted:

It shows up in a lot of scenes. I want to say it plays again when the MP Evas are impaling themselves with the lances, too.

Oh, it is absolutely there. But it is the scene where the MP Evas' lances explode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

I have still never seen EoE

What the heck

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I kinda wish FUNImation would do a re-dub like Viz did with Sailor Moon, but I'm not sure if Not-ADV still has the dubbing rights for the TV series.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The live action movie was never a thing, AD Vision made some inquiries at Wignut Films (who work on all of Peter Jackson's stuff) and got quoted a minimum budget of $100 million and that was that.

It was a thing and ADV had the movie rights, but a few years ago Gainax withdrew the rights by sending back the original check and the remnants of ADV began the process of suing them.

So, you know, it's going well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Rei's voice actor, Amanda Winn Lee, was a producer, the ADR director, and dub script writer for EoE and many of the decisions that are somewhat controversial like the gooshes and saying gently caress can be solely laid at her feet.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
I think what encapsulates Lee's thought-process best regarding editing, is a bit from Death and Rebirth, where Kaji's death scene is replayed before cutting with a sound of a slap to Shinji trying to explain Kaji's death to a disbelieving Asuka. Lee apparently completely missed the point that the sound was supposed to indicate Asuka slapping Shinji, and thought it was the sound of Kaji getting shot, and confused about why the sound was not very loud and sounded more like a slap than a shot, she went ahead and replaced it with a really loud stock gun-shot sound.

The worst part is that the latter part of what I just described, is actually the exact explanation she makes on the DVD commentary for making this change, during which she goes on this mini-rant about how "weak" the original sound was. :eng99:

Utritum fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 13, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Midjack posted:

Rei's voice actor, Amanda Winn Lee, was a producer, the ADR director, and dub script writer for EoE and many of the decisions that are somewhat controversial like the gooshes and saying gently caress can be solely laid at her feet.

Yeah, but that it was done under the banner of Manga Corps is still relevant. I like to pretend in my heart of hearts that another company would not have let that happen.

It is weird though, since I THINK it was her husband who helmed the series at ADV.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Midjack posted:

:( AWL, why? The fucks, I found, were not out of place, but the gooshes were just dumb.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The really lovely era of dubbing when ADV love taking liberties with stuff outside of the voices.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Srice posted:

What the heck

I can't find it anywhere

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

I can't find it anywhere

It's been out of print in the US for years.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I prefer the English versions of evangelion because it lets me pay closer attention to what's happening on the screen.

Anyways, evangelion is a work of art, it's a translation of the human soul into the video medium. The English dub is simply an interpretation of this translation. And since I've watched a shitload of the show, I think that they are both in line with one another. Each has its own unique perspective that varies slightly from one to the other. They both "get it right".

Ross Angeles posted:

I can't find it anywhere

Have you tried the Internet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

I can't find it anywhere

It's hella out of print for the time being so there's no shame in piracy until whenever they finally negotiate new rights for it.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Srice posted:

It's hella out of print for the time being so there's no shame in piracy until whenever they finally negotiate new rights for it.

Especially considering that the Blu Ray is out and it looks worlds better than the lovely old Manga DVD.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'll say this for Manga. Their trailer for End of Eva got me super loving hyped when I was younger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caAkQai8qEQ

And then I watched the movie and realized that like, half of the trailer is spoilers.

Which doesn't really even matter because it doesn't spoil any of the really crazy things in the movie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waaaaaay to much talking in that, this is the best Evangelion trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW5DCdRp3rk

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The first couple episodes of the dub are pretty terrible, which is a real shame because I like it overall. Just wish it was more consistent. It would have been nice if they had gone back and re-recorded some of the really awful lines in the early episodes when they had the actors back in the studio for the Director's Cut episode dubs a couple years later.

I've never noticed any sound effects in EoE being goofy or out of place, even knowing where they were changed. *shrug*

edit: Rewatched the whole series subtitled a while back, and okay, no matter how much nostalgia I have for the dub, there's no comparison. The English dub is just so hammy and awkward compared to the original performances.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 22, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I couldn't get over Fuyutski's voice in the dub, a more bored sounding person I've never heard.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

You try hanging out with loving Gendo for a couple of years and see how you end up. :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sakurazuka posted:

I couldn't get over Fuyutski's voice in the dub, a more bored sounding person I've never heard.

I mean, is that wrong?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Sakurazuka posted:

"Sweet Jesus its an anti-AT field."
:geno:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zeruel posted:

"Sweet Jesus its an anti-AT field."
:geno:

That's one of my favorite lines :allears:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I mean, is that wrong?

his character is supposed to represent the old guard resigned to dooming the current generation to repeat the same mistakes his generation made. in the dub he sounds like a disaffected tween

Favonius
Nov 28, 2014

Ross Angeles posted:

I can't find it anywhere

Bought a copy off ebay a couple years ago, think I paid $50 at the time. Totally worth it for that english commentary track though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what kind of fan didnt go to suncoast the day of release in the US and get the dvd along with the poster

also please do not confuse US Manga Corps and Manga Entertainment

Relin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 14, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The dub is hot garbage except for the line reading of Fuyutski and Gendo during the episode where NERV HQ loses power.

"It's hot." "Yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The dub is hot garbage except for the line reading of Fuyutski and Gendo during the episode where NERV HQ loses power.

"It's hot." "Yes."

That's literally the only reason the dub has any merit.