Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

bobua posted:

This is my table saw, and I was sad to find out it won't take a dado blade. Didn't even know what a dado blade was when I bought it. Luckily, I have a nice router.

Other than that, this thing gets it done.
Over here in euroland, there are no dado blades. No table saw has an arbor long enough to fit one.

Luckily most lumber comes in sizes which are 1 on 1 available as router bits.

The only fidgety size is 3mm ply for drawer bottoms. But nothing that can't be handled with a 2.4mm kerf resaw blade and some sanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I finally finished my guitar so I took some glamour shots.

Full album here. I also only just realised how misaligned the machine heads are, I really should have spent more time lining them up, although I think the wonky joint for the neck/headstock really exaggerates it
http://imgur.com/a/08fyd

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

screaden posted:

Full album here. I also only just realised how misaligned the machine heads are, I really should have spent more time lining them up, although I think the wonky joint for the neck/headstock really exaggerates it

Nice. Real nice, in fact.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

screaden posted:

That's very beautiful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm going to be making a thing out of mdf, and then painting it white. I would like it to have a smooth almost plastic-y feeling when done. Any specific ideas on how to accomplish that? I'm thinking several super thick coats of poly, trying to build up a layer of plastic on there, sanding that smooth, repeating the process several times, and then priming and painting the final white, probably with a rattle can. Thoughts?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why put a finish on if you're going to paint over it? Just paint the MDF directly. A few coats of semi-gloss should make for a pretty durable surface.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a sufficiently smooth/glossy surface directly on the mdf. Although I suppose if I put primer on a little thick and smoothed that, it should get nice and slick with a spray enamel as the final coating.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I've filled and sanded with wall putty or bondo before painting to get that smooth finish in the past. Works well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a sufficiently smooth/glossy surface directly on the mdf. Although I suppose if I put primer on a little thick and smoothed that, it should get nice and slick with a spray enamel as the final coating.

The quality of your brushstrokes is the only thing that's going to matter with respect to how smooth the surface is.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
For Christmas I'm gonna get my dad this brad nailer and air compressor.

Brad Nailer

Compressor

Neither tool seems to come with a hose and I can't tell if there is a certain size I shoulder order. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? There also appears to be a higher PSI compressor that comes with accessories and if that's cheaper in the long run, maybe that's a better option?

Thanks!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

screaden posted:

That looks great.

Can you talk a little bit about how the process was? What kind of resources were the most helpful, what was harder/easier than you thought it would be, that sort of thing.
I'm kind of gearing up to build an acoustic as well so any kind of insight would be helpful :)

Also, that dog looks goddam magnificent.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

bred posted:

I've filled and sanded with wall putty or bondo before painting to get that smooth finish in the past. Works well.

This. Spackle, bondo, or whatever.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A quick coat of shellac will also help with painting a huge amount.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Pondex posted:

That looks great.

Can you talk a little bit about how the process was? What kind of resources were the most helpful, what was harder/easier than you thought it would be, that sort of thing.
I'm kind of gearing up to build an acoustic as well so any kind of insight would be helpful :)

Also, that dog looks goddam magnificent.

Ha, magnificent is hardly the word I'd use to describe her, I'm amazed I got a picture of her without a big doofusy smile on her face.

I can do a little write up when I get back from work, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be much help. This was my first ever woodworking project so I had the benefit of someone else's tools, jigs, moulds and someone to watch over every step (here if you're interested)

I took a bunch of pictures of the process which I linked earlier in the thread, but I haven't completely updated it, at that stage I was about halfway through

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

nosleep posted:

Brad Nailer

Compressor

Neither tool seems to come with a hose and I can't tell if there is a certain size I shoulder order. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? There also appears to be a higher PSI compressor that comes with accessories and if that's cheaper in the long run, maybe that's a better option?

Thanks!

I have this compressor, which is only $40 more than the one you linked. It's served me well and can do more than that little pancake. Most compressors worth your time won't come with a hose/accessories, but you can usually pick up an accessory kit for not too much that will come with a light-duty hose that would handle that brad nailer as well as your standard quick connects and stuff to inflate tires/kiddie pools/river tubes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gluing up another cutting board, this one will be a long grain board, ash and walnut. I decided to make a cutting board gluing jig since I think I will be making more in the future. Basically it uses just two wedges to provide clamping pressure. I am thinking of building some kind of integrated clamping cauls for keeping the board flat as well so I won't need any clamps at all to glue up a board in the future.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I'm working on my first woodworking project that is using a joint more complicated than "nail two things together".

I'm making a 6' ladder for my kid's tree fort out of pressure treated 2x4s. I've cut mortise and tenons for all of the steps and everything fits in nice and snug. I was about to do the final assembly but then started having some crippling doubts and was hoping for some advice.

As it dries, will the pressure treated do something bad to those joints? Can I glue them?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gounads posted:

I'm working on my first woodworking project that is using a joint more complicated than "nail two things together".

I'm making a 6' ladder for my kid's tree fort out of pressure treated 2x4s. I've cut mortise and tenons for all of the steps and everything fits in nice and snug. I was about to do the final assembly but then started having some crippling doubts and was hoping for some advice.

As it dries, will the pressure treated do something bad to those joints? Can I glue them?

I've never heard of gluing wet pressure treated lumber. Or dry. Screw them, don't glue them.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've never heard of gluing wet pressure treated lumber. Or dry. Screw them, don't glue them.

If it's a water-borne treatment (most likely) gluing won't be a problem; however you'll want to use a water-resistant glue -- general wood glue won't cut it. If it's going to be exposed to weather, look up Resorcinol glue. It's more expensive and will take time to cure, but will provide a weatherproof bond.

e:
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/gluing-treated-wood/

ee: Actually, it looks like regular Gorilla glue would be a good bet as well. It's waterproof and has the added benefit of expanding as it cures, so it would really pressure-lock your tenons in as well as binding the fibers.

eee: Or go to the underside of the ladder, drill out some #8 pocket holes, and screw the tenons in place. You could even do this after you glue to really make it secure, If you want to hide the objectionable metal hardware in your hand-crafted ladder, you could shove some dowels in after to plug the hole over the screw.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 15, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Mr. Mambold posted:

You could also change to through tenons and use a wedge or dowel to secure the rungs.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

nosleep posted:

Brad Nailer

Compressor

Thanks!

I grabbed this combo from home depot the other day... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-150-PSI-Air-Compressor-and-16-Gauge-Nailer-Combo-Kit-PCFP72671/204369377

appears to be the nailer\compressor you're buying as a combo with hose for $10 dollars cheaper.

Edit: just realized home depots web prices might be zip code based. I'm seeing the combo for $159.99 and that's the price i payed in store. It's the 150 psi compressor.

Double edit: Looks like you were looking for the 18 gauge... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-and-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Combo-Kit-PCFP12236/203471324 $199. But F that, the the 16g, 18g, and stapler package for the same price http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...12234/203471431

bobua fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 15, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cutting board from the earlier picture, currently soaking in raw linseed oil:

Shallow feet in a sliding dovetail:

MrPete
May 17, 2007
That sliding dovetail foot is awesome!

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

bobua posted:

I grabbed this combo from home depot the other day... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-150-PSI-Air-Compressor-and-16-Gauge-Nailer-Combo-Kit-PCFP72671/204369377

appears to be the nailer\compressor you're buying as a combo with hose for $10 dollars cheaper.

Edit: just realized home depots web prices might be zip code based. I'm seeing the combo for $159.99 and that's the price i payed in store. It's the 150 psi compressor.

Double edit: Looks like you were looking for the 18 gauge... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-and-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Combo-Kit-PCFP12236/203471324 $199. But F that, the the 16g, 18g, and stapler package for the same price http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...12234/203471431

drat! I would've probably gotten this one. I did go with the nailer I linked and a 6 gal 150 PSI porter cable compressor. It came to about 200 dollars by itself. I could've gone to my home depot down the street and grabbed this combo. I guess I could return it.. poo poo I may have to do that. Thanks!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Anyone recognize this model plane? It showed up in my local craigslist and I'm probably going to grab it unless its some Chinese knockoff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TheDon01 posted:

Anyone recognize this model plane? It showed up in my local craigslist and I'm probably going to grab it unless its some Chinese knockoff.

I have seen them before, they are cheap knockoffs but I can't tell you the origin. Honestly I wouldn't pay :10bux: for it. Reason being is that you will have to put a lot of work into tuning it and at the end you'll still have a crappy plane. If you want a good bargain in planes, look for wood bodies or better, Stanley Transitionals. <== Not a recommendation, it's just the first transitional I found on ebay. Also, never buy a plane if they don't show you the bottom.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm building a basic bookcase as a starter project, out of pine as it's cheap, like me. When I'm finished I'd like to finish it in white, but not solid paint, more like a wash? What can I use or should I be shopping for? I'm in the UK.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I used this stuff to repaint a couple of (shameful ikea) cabinets: http://www.anniesloan.com/annie-sloan-products/paints.html

It's chalk-based, so it remains a bit rough to the touch which I like.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cakefool posted:

I'm building a basic bookcase as a starter project, out of pine as it's cheap, like me. When I'm finished I'd like to finish it in white, but not solid paint, more like a wash? What can I use or should I be shopping for? I'm in the UK.

Look for the term 'pickled' white

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cakefool posted:

I did something similar for my wife's display last year and just used standard paint thinned down.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thanks, that's pointed me in the right direction.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Unpigmented milk paint :getin:

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Is there a general rule to follow for leg placement on tables? I'm making my girlfriend a reclaimed wood coffee table for Christmas and I'm getting ready to put the legs on.

I found a piece of old school peg board that was hanging up in a barn, so it was basically wood slats with a ton of eye hooks and right angle screws in it (which I have since taken out). I made a small frame underneath the peg board using .75" thick furring strips to draw all of the planks level, then ran 2 of those furring strips down the middle for added support. I'm making the legs out of 1" floor flanges and 1" x 18" threaded pipe and was just wondering if there are basic guidelines to follow in regard to where legs should be placed.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Stupid Dick posted:

Is there a general rule to follow for leg placement on tables? I'm making my girlfriend a reclaimed wood coffee table for Christmas and I'm getting ready to put the legs on.

I found a piece of old school peg board that was hanging up in a barn, so it was basically wood slats with a ton of eye hooks and right angle screws in it (which I have since taken out). I made a small frame underneath the peg board using .75" thick furring strips to draw all of the planks level, then ran 2 of those furring strips down the middle for added support. I'm making the legs out of 1" floor flanges and 1" x 18" threaded pipe and was just wondering if there are basic guidelines to follow in regard to where legs should be placed.

Traditionally they go underneath the table in a fashion such that the table doesn't fall over. You're welcome, that'll be :10bux:

For a coffee table? Go with whatever fits your design / looks good and keeps it stable imo. Just don't leave excessive overhang unless your design takes it into account (eg splayed legs), otherwise it can be a tipping hazard. Typically on a standard table you want the legs to form a rectangle that's proportional to the top, golden ratio and all that good stuff.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm making a few beer bottle openers for Christmas gifts and I'm wondering what I should finish them with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_Z2gF6PDdI/

I recently did an edge grain cutting board for a friend and used some of the same Padauk as the openers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ac6TYvDX4

I love the look of it after just a mineral oil finish while it's still wet and glossy, so I wan't to recreate that. Generally I'd use some spray lacquer, but I'm all out so now is a great time to try something new. I mostly just use spray laquer these days, but I've tried a wipe on poly in the past as well. Neither seem appropriate though.
Any ideas?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I'm making a few beer bottle openers for Christmas gifts and I'm wondering what I should finish them with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_Z2gF6PDdI/

I recently did an edge grain cutting board for a friend and used some of the same Padauk as the openers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ac6TYvDX4

I love the look of it after just a mineral oil finish while it's still wet and glossy, so I wan't to recreate that. Generally I'd use some spray lacquer, but I'm all out so now is a great time to try something new. I mostly just use spray laquer these days, but I've tried a wipe on poly in the past as well. Neither seem appropriate though.
Any ideas?

How about shellac with paste wax buffed on top?

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cpt.Wacky posted:

How about shellac with paste wax buffed on top?

I finish everything like this. Shellac is so nice to work with and a coat of wax buffs out beautifully.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I already have paste wax so that's easy. I'll give that a try, thanks!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
How do I cut straight?

I'm an utter novice. I have been building radiator covers for my home out of 3/4 inch plywood. I finished the rough work on the first and was pretty happy with it. I'd like to improve a few things on the next one but the problem is that I can't cut straight. I am making plunge cuts and have a skillsaw and a jigsaw capable of doing it. I have straight lines on the wood and a straight cutting guard. When I start to cut I've measured the distance to the shoe and theoretically everything should work. I've mostly tried with the jigsaw - I drill a pilot hole and make my way to the edge. What happens is that the blade bends or comes off the guide but keeps cutting. I've gotten a less flexible blade but it still works. I have less experience with the skillsaw but the one time I tried it I ended up also being crooked.

So what's the secret to cutting straight on a plunge cut? I've looked at videos and guides but would love some help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How do I cut straight?

I'm an utter novice. I have been building radiator covers for my home out of 3/4 inch plywood. I finished the rough work on the first and was pretty happy with it. I'd like to improve a few things on the next one but the problem is that I can't cut straight. I am making plunge cuts and have a skillsaw and a jigsaw capable of doing it. I have straight lines on the wood and a straight cutting guard. When I start to cut I've measured the distance to the shoe and theoretically everything should work. I've mostly tried with the jigsaw - I drill a pilot hole and make my way to the edge. What happens is that the blade bends or comes off the guide but keeps cutting. I've gotten a less flexible blade but it still works. I have less experience with the skillsaw but the one time I tried it I ended up also being crooked.

So what's the secret to cutting straight on a plunge cut? I've looked at videos and guides but would love some help.

Clamp a straightedge on the piece that's as far away from your line as the plate of your saw and ride the saw up against that.