Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The opposite of that would be Naruto
where there are filler episodes and entire arcs tossed in randomly every time main story advances even a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fun fact: Boros is literally named after a Magic the Gathering card.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DeafNote posted:

The opposite of that would be Naruto
where there are filler episodes and entire arcs tossed in randomly every time main story advances even a little

Which they are STILL doing, even though the manga has finished. It's just pathetic at this point.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tsob posted:

When did that happen? Has the anime returned to being decent again?

Bisse posted:

What?? When did the OP anime ditch that? Will it become watchable again?

No idea when it happened, but ditching filler just resulted in them stretching fewer chapters into an episode, so it's probably worse. i think people would watch One Piece regardless of timeslot, but Toei doesn't seem to agree so the anime trudges on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What Toei knows is that people will watch One Piece regardless of pace or animation quality.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Incorrect, he's named after one of the guilds from Ravnica block (Boros is the Red/White guild that maintains peace by killing everything that breaks the law). There is no card named Boros, but there's a bunch which reference it / represent members of the guild.
:goonsay:

Re One Piece, yeah the pacing's been awful for around a year. At least the current arc is getting wrapped up now, maybe the next one will be better paced.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

dogsicle posted:

No idea when it happened, but ditching filler just resulted in them stretching fewer chapters into an episode, so it's probably worse. i think people would watch One Piece regardless of timeslot, but Toei doesn't seem to agree so the anime trudges on.
Oh yeah that I know, I thought they had stopped doing 1ep/week and making quality episodes instead. :smith:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zark the Damned posted:

Re One Piece, yeah the pacing's been awful for around a year. At least the current arc is getting wrapped up now, maybe the next one will be better paced.

It's been way longer than that. It became unbearably slow to me around the middle of Thriller Bark, but it's only gotten worse since. And it leads to them completely ruining great moments from the manga, like the Sugar snipe.

I'd take a dozen filler arcs if they'd make the show not loving awful when they're doing canon stuff.

KoB
May 1, 2009
One Piece is literally just one chapter per episode and its terribly stretched.

Manga is still worth reading.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Begemot posted:

It's been way longer than that. It became unbearably slow to me around the middle of Thriller Bark, but it's only gotten worse since. And it leads to them completely ruining great moments from the manga, like the Sugar snipe.

I'd take a dozen filler arcs if they'd make the show not loving awful when they're doing canon stuff.

I watched a bunch of it last year, but I'm currently stalled at the pre-Thriller Bark stuff, with the ice-skating family. I've heard so much about how it goes downhill, I almost don't want to continue watching it get to that point. :(

I did start reading the manga instead, but the copy that I have has turned into a terrible translation all of a sudden around chapter 118, it's almost unreadable. I'll have to get some of the official volumes sometime.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

e X posted:

Isn't that because they slowed the episodes per chapter to an absolute crawl, i.e. something like three episodes for one manga chapter?

Wait, thats like one and half hour per chapter. How the gently caress does that even work? :stonklol:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a guild dude, that means it's like 30 cards

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

thexerox123 posted:

I watched a bunch of it last year, but I'm currently stalled at the pre-Thriller Bark stuff, with the ice-skating family. I've heard so much about how it goes downhill, I almost don't want to continue watching it get to that point. :(

I did start reading the manga instead, but the copy that I have has turned into a terrible translation all of a sudden around chapter 118, it's almost unreadable. I'll have to get some of the official volumes sometime.

There are omnibuses that collect 3 volumes at a time for relatively cheap. It's definitely the way to go, besides being legal the scans for One Piece are super inconsistent because it started so long ago. You get poo poo like Manki Jii Roofy and Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo all over the place.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, thats like one and half hour per chapter. How the gently caress does that even work? :stonklol:

Lots of lots of panning reaction shots.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

It doesnt, its one chapter per episode.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

It doesnt, its one chapter per episode.

Go watch an episode while reading a chapter. More and more often, then anime will finish before they even complete one chapter. I stopped watching the first time I noticed that happening, and that was over two years ago, from what I've heard it's only gotten worse.

One Piece the anime is the complete opposite of One Punch Man the anime; a cheap imitation that's only made to promote merchandise with no effort or care being put into the show at all. It's actually kinda depressing to watch, particularly if you read the manga and know how it's supposed to happen.

Meanwhile, One Punch Man is just as good as the manga it's based on, and considering that source material is so drat good, that makes the anime a real treat to watch.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It does help OPM that they are going for a much shorter run-time and they are huge fans of the source material, thus dipping more into off-hours to work on it, something they probably wouldn't do if they knew it was going to go on for as long as One Piece.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mordaedil posted:

It does help OPM that they are going for a much shorter run-time and they are huge fans of the source material, thus dipping more into off-hours to work on it, something they probably wouldn't do if they knew it was going to go on for as long as One Piece.

Madhouse went balls to the wall for 148 episodes of Hunter x Hunter which is still 3 years of your life dedicated to the same show.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Hey now, they didn't really take their balls out all that much for the first few dozen episodes...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hunter x Hunter was quality throughout sans the one stretch that's the fault of the source material so balls to the wall or not they delivered a consistently good product.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It suffered a lot towards the climax of the Chimera Ant arc where instead of showing stuff they had the narrator describe everything in detail. It was the most frustrated I've been with an anime. It was absolutely terrible.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Madhouse went balls to the wall for 148 episodes of Hunter x Hunter which is still 3 years of your life dedicated to the same show.

Madhouse did Hunter x Hunter? Holy poo poo, I never knew.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jimbot posted:

It suffered a lot towards the climax of the Chimera Ant arc where instead of showing stuff they had the narrator describe everything in detail. It was the most frustrated I've been with an anime. It was absolutely terrible.

Not Madhouse's fault. Togashi was experimenting with using a omniscient narrator in that portion of the story, so all that stuff was in the original as well. I guess the problem would be that in the manga you could read it all really fast, while in the anime you had to listen to a dude say it all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Not Madhouse's fault. Togashi was experimenting with using a omniscient narrator in that portion of the story, so all that stuff was in the original as well. I guess the problem would be that in the manga you could read it all really fast, while in the anime you had to listen to a dude say it all.

I gotcha. It was a really dumb thing to do. The character attacks an enemy, it's ineffectual and he has a look of surprise then the narrator describes exactly that. It was the most mind-boggling dumb thing I've seen when the show as a whole was a lot smarter than that. When the anime gets rebooted again in 10 years (maybe the current arc will be done by then), they should maybe cut the narrator bit out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What part specifically are you talking about? Knuckle and Youpi?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

RareAcumen posted:

What part specifically are you talking about? Knuckle and Youpi?

The entire assault on the palace is narrated. It works well in the manga, since the third person narrator gives the story a very epic (in the traditional sense of the word) feel, but in the anime, having somebody telling you what you can already see is pretty obnoxious.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I thought the narration was fine.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

e X posted:

The entire assault on the palace is narrated. It works well in the manga, since the third person narrator gives the story a very epic (in the traditional sense of the word) feel, but in the anime, having somebody telling you what you can already see is pretty obnoxious.

Even in the anime, it's kind of cool at first. It just outstays its welcome because the assault lasts for ten hours. They could probably fix it by removing the narrator from scenes that don't need to be narrated.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Eej posted:

I thought the narration was fine.

Same here. Also I know people who absolutely loved the narration, I think it's just one of those very divisive things and not really a bad or good one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I enjoyed the narration but I understand why some people didn't.

It's definitely something that works better read than heard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

e X posted:

The actual assault and not Knov sneaking in to put entrances and exits down right?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Narration works great in shows like Akagi where there's a shitload of things going on in something completely alien to most people. Even people who play Mahjong probably would have a hard time following what Akagi is doing and the mindset of him and his opponents. In Hunter x Hunter, it's real easy to see that something didn't work or a plan went awry or a person is distressed. A guy is literally bone white with dread, I don't need for Mr. Narrator that he's loving afraid. On another level, it drew the fights out way too long. There was a lot prep into the palace assault, so you'd expect it to go down in a fast and brutal fashion but instead you see a few minutes of cool fights then the characters stand around, looking at each other with silent determination as the narrator explains what's going on.

I suppose it's more of having a really good arc so far then have it build up towards something then that something be a total wet fart. Luckily it gets better from the King and Netero's fight onward. I don't mind narration but I think it was far too overdone during that section.

It'd be like during Metal Bat's fight, he'd do an attack, stand there looking confused then a narration explaining to everyone that his attacks didn't work, that he was confused then explained what he was thinking and what he was going to do before showing what he was going to do. And that narration lasted about a minute and a half. It would turn that great sequence into some drawn-out bore.

Edit: I have strong feelings about that section of HxH because it was the first time something took me out of the anime and it actively made me wish it would be over.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 15, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I just figured it was ouroboros, like as a reference to how Boros is a reflection of Saitama's dilemma and feeds into it simultaneously. What is the magic card?

Mordaedil posted:

Never take recommendations from fans of anime, we're a weirdly incestuous lot in terms of forming opinions and even I know that my own favorites aren't necessarily ones I can expose to everyone else. Some of us have entire separate lists for that and I think One Punch Man can go on it, but something like Madoka Magica needs some consideration before recommending.

I've actually gotten a good chunk of non-anime watchers and/or anime haters to watch Madoka first and it has been very well received. I do have to include caveats of "trust me it's not as creepy as it looks" tho

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

I just figured it was ouroboros, like as a reference to how Boros is a reflection of Saitama's dilemma and feeds into it simultaneously. What is the magic card?

It's not a card, he's named for a guild from Ravnica, a block that came out in ~2006.

ONE was probably playing Magic around then.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Maaan, there's like no chance the English release when it comes is gonna be that cool is there?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

boros is a somewhat common last name in eastern europe

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Narration works great in shows like Akagi where there's a shitload of things going on in something completely alien to most people. Even people who play Mahjong probably would have a hard time following what Akagi is doing and the mindset of him and his opponents. In Hunter x Hunter, it's real easy to see that something didn't work or a plan went awry or a person is distressed. A guy is literally bone white with dread, I don't need for Mr. Narrator that he's loving afraid. On another level, it drew the fights out way too long. There was a lot prep into the palace assault, so you'd expect it to go down in a fast and brutal fashion but instead you see a few minutes of cool fights then the characters stand around, looking at each other with silent determination as the narrator explains what's going on.

I suppose it's more of having a really good arc so far then have it build up towards something then that something be a total wet fart. Luckily it gets better from the King and Netero's fight onward. I don't mind narration but I think it was far too overdone during that section.

It'd be like during Metal Bat's fight, he'd do an attack, stand there looking confused then a narration explaining to everyone that his attacks didn't work, that he was confused then explained what he was thinking and what he was going to do before showing what he was going to do. And that narration lasted about a minute and a half. It would turn that great sequence into some drawn-out bore.

Edit: I have strong feelings about that section of HxH because it was the first time something took me out of the anime and it actively made me wish it would be over.

Ah right, Knov's infiltration part. I honestly couldn't remember any part of it being too slow so I was completely at a loss for what part exactly it was that you all were talking about. I have low standards so I wasn't too bothered. What irked me more was- Bad opinion time- the jump from Greed Island to Chimera Ants where Gon and Killua weren't exactly shown as powered up bad asses. I would've liked a bit of filler like how they zoomed through like those two hundred fights in Heavens Arena.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

boros is a somewhat common last name in eastern europe

It's even the last name of an artist who works on M:TG.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RareAcumen posted:

Ah right, Knov's infiltration part. I honestly couldn't remember any part of it being too slow so I was completely at a loss for what part exactly it was that you all were talking about. I have low standards so I wasn't too bothered. What irked me more was- Bad opinion time- the jump from Greed Island to Chimera Ants where Gon and Killua weren't exactly shown as powered up bad asses. I would've liked a bit of filler like how they zoomed through like those two hundred fights in Heavens Arena.

All of Greed Island was them powering up. They started off as a little above bare minimum and by the end were the strongest ones on the island playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

RareAcumen posted:

Ehhh, as Gyges said, GI was an arc that had plenty of powering up. But more than that HxH has never really been about getting powerups so much as about Gon pushing through every challenge because he is actually a crazy person who is willing to do just about anything to himself if it accomplishes his goals.

Anyway, we should probably get back to talking about OPM instead of HxH. :v:

• Locked thread