Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

fake second edit to clarify what I'm saying about Judo Gene: I checked his rank one day out of curiosity, and his wikipedia page claims a 10th dan but it was awarded by an American organization that produces rank certificates for any martial art based on years of participation and puts clipart dragons on them. I'm not saying that Judo Gene is a fraud or that his judo isn't legit cool, I'm just saying that he's not an actual 10th dan in Judo by any real criteria.

Is it USMAA? Because that was some guy getting mad about the politics surrounding being awarded high ranks in Judo and responded by creating an association that would give any rank to anybody, in any art, that was willing to send them a check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thoguh posted:

Is it USMAA? Because that was some guy getting mad about the politics surrounding being awarded high ranks in Judo and responded by creating an association that would give any rank to anybody, in any art, that was willing to send them a check.

Yeah. Exactly.

Really any dan beyond 5th has to do more with involvement in high-level instruction, coaching, and the operations of the Kodokan as an institution in japan and worldwide than it does have anything to do with good judo knowledge or badassery. To get butthurt over those ranks is silly, and any process of creating "competing independent" ranking systems is pretty much kids yelling "infinity plus two!" at each other.

Sprecherscrow posted:

If Gene Lebell is not 10th dan by any criteria, then make new criteria.

The thing is there have been like 30 Kodokan 10th dans, ever. 10th dan is almost a bureaucratic/status rank like Cardinal in the Catholic church, except there are more Cardinals.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 15, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I've never understood BJJ's obsession with instructor lineage.

It's largely a product of Rorian and his kids using "pure water" as a marketing gimmick. Just about everyone I've ever interacted with in the BJJ community only cares about lineage inasmuch as it has to do with what association/fight team you're part of.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:five:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Excellent

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Digital Jedi posted:

I want to start training bjj. I don't know where to even begin or start.

I have no background in anything fighting but I've got really into bjj this year and want to give it a try.

I'm out in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Anyone have a recommendation of some gyms I should check out and see?

What town?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprecherscrow posted:

Cool. We also have a place downtown. I hardly get down there, but some people divide there time between the two. If you drop in tonight, I won't be there because I'm running a fever.

I'll probably won't be able to stop by for a week or so but when I do I'll let you know.

I'm geographically challenged and shouldn't of said northwest suburbs. I'm over in Elmwood Park.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Digital Jedi posted:

I'll probably won't be able to stop by for a week or so but when I do I'll let you know.

I'm geographically challenged and shouldn't of said northwest suburbs. I'm over in Elmwood Park.

You're pretty much 30 minutes away from my gym in the burbs and I think about 30 minutes from a bunch of other awesome BJJ gyms in the city. What are you trying to get out of it (competition? exercise? self defense?) What's your schedule, are you going to be limited to training evenings only, mornings only, weekends only, etc? I'd look at the schedules of a bunch of places that fit your schedule, then try out those gyms until you find one that fits your personality. You're really not wanting for lack of good instruction in this area and I haven't heard anything bad about any of the gyms around here.

WayneCampbell fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 16, 2015

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
For now just as exercise. Standard gym days are boring and I've slowly stopped going. Need a change. I've always wanted to give bjj a try and get a better understanding of what it is like to practice it. After some time and how I grasp it I would love to test myself in competition one day.

I'll be limited to evenings and weekends

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well I've been doing BJJ since... August, finally got the first stripe on my white belt! :toot:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yaaaaa! Good job!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Well I've been doing BJJ since... August, finally got the first stripe on my white belt! :toot:

Great job! Keep at it and some day you'll get a second!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Black belt is the minimum

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Welllp. Time for another week of injury downtime. This time my neck/back popped like 8 times (sounded like someone stepping on peanut shells really slowly) as I was getting inverted. I can't even remember the position, but my neck and shoulders were down and my partner's weight was on top of me.

gently caress's sake. I love this sport but I'm perpetually hurt from it. This happens just as my shoulder is starting to feel better after a week of downtime, and before that it was my ribs. It's always when I'm rolling with the blue belts.

My instructor has said that I'm not allowed to roll with anyone bigger than me anymore ("the twitchy big guys"), so that means I have like 3 white belts, 1 blue belt, and 1 purple belt to train with.

:suicide:

:smith:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Welllp. Time for another week of injury downtime. This time my neck/back popped like 8 times (sounded like someone stepping on peanut shells really slowly) as I was getting inverted. I can't even remember the position, but my neck and shoulders were down and my partner's weight was on top of me.

gently caress's sake. I love this sport but I'm perpetually hurt from it. This happens just as my shoulder is starting to feel better after a week of downtime, and before that it was my ribs. It's always when I'm rolling with the blue belts.

My instructor has said that I'm not allowed to roll with anyone bigger than me anymore ("the twitchy big guys"), so that means I have like 3 white belts, 1 blue belt, and 1 purple belt to train with.

:suicide:

:smith:

Do you lift or do any kind of sport specific strength/mobility stuff like neck bridges etc? Could be worth getting more serious about if you get hurt that often

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

manyak posted:

Do you lift or do any kind of sport specific strength/mobility stuff like neck bridges etc? Could be worth getting more serious about if you get hurt that often

I've stopped lifting in the last few months since I moved to a new town. I do neck/shoulder bridges &c in my warmups. I want to say it's because these guys are 50-60 lbs bigger than me and don't give a gently caress. Idunno. I guess I can do more strength/mobility workouts, but there are only so many hours in a day. The head instructor was really doing his best to keep me positive, but he could probably see it in my eyes that I was thinking about quitting in that moment.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I've stopped lifting in the last few months since I moved to a new town. I do neck/shoulder bridges &c in my warmups. I want to say it's because these guys are 50-60 lbs bigger than me and don't give a gently caress. Idunno. I guess I can do more strength/mobility workouts, but there are only so many hours in a day. The head instructor was really doing his best to keep me positive, but he could probably see it in my eyes that I was thinking about quitting in that moment.

Well that sucks. Good luck and yeah you might have to stop rolling with guys bigger than you if theyre also spazzes

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Maybe stop inverting? Or training.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rationale posted:

Maybe stop inverting? Or training.

I'm trying to remember exactly what happened. I wasn't hanging out in the inversion position. He flipped me over that way. IIRC I was in turtle, and he was behind me, and I was trying to roll away and he just like squashed me as I was rolling.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

CommonShore posted:

I'm trying to remember exactly what happened. I wasn't hanging out in the inversion position. He flipped me over that way. IIRC I was in turtle, and he was behind me, and I was trying to roll away and he just like squashed me as I was rolling.

Don't know if this is the position you were in, but I've seen someone injure themselves in a very similar way. They rolled directly forwards instead of over their shoulder and thus got their neck and back crushed instead of just getting twisted into side control.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

IT BEGINS posted:

Don't know if this is the position you were in, but I've seen someone injure themselves in a very similar way. They rolled directly forwards instead of over their shoulder and thus got their neck and back crushed instead of just getting twisted into side control.

The roll was over my shoulder, but I got like mashed down onto my neck as I went because the guy I was rolling with kinda like... dove on me. Probably the same injury.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Dake and Taylor will face each other in the finals of the U.S. Nationals/Trials qualifer. They both moved up to get away from Burroughs, but are stuck with each other. Taylor seems to be adapting well to the higher weight class, with a tech fall over Ed Ruth in this tourney. But he has traditionally struggled against Dake, who gave him 2 of his 3 losses in college. Who you got?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got my blue belt in BJJ today, and as a preventative measure to any ego building got to roll with a black belt for about an hour. Feels good man :D

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats dude! look out for wrist locks!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KildarX posted:

Got my blue belt in BJJ today, and as a preventative measure to any ego building got to roll with a black belt for about an hour. Feels good man :D

Congrats!
:hfive:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JHomer722 posted:

Dake and Taylor will face each other in the finals of the U.S. Nationals/Trials qualifer. They both moved up to get away from Burroughs, but are stuck with each other. Taylor seems to be adapting well to the higher weight class, with a tech fall over Ed Ruth in this tourney. But he has traditionally struggled against Dake, who gave him 2 of his 3 losses in college. Who you got?

It's already happened so I'm kind of cheating, but I always have Dake over Taylor. Taylor gets more press and is more fun to watch but Dake is a better wrestler and unless I'm forgetting a match Taylor has never beaten Dake out of 4 or 5 meetings between college and freestyle.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

It's shocking that someone as good as Taylor can be shut out of a series, but I'm pretty sure you're right that he's never beat Dake. I'm not sure if its stylistic or psychological or what, but that's pretty bonkers.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Forgot to post this earlier but Midlands is today and tommorow and BTN2Go is streaming all the mats live for free until the finals. Here's a link.

http://www.btn2go.com/schedule?sids=WR

Brackets and results are up on Trackwrestling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

First night on the mats since I hurt my neck. Was just me and the instructor because :christmas:. We spent an hour just doing straight ankle lock drills because it would be easy on my back. That poo poo is amazing and fun.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Forgot to post this earlier but Midlands is today and tommorow and BTN2Go is streaming all the mats live for free until the finals. Here's a link.

http://www.btn2go.com/schedule?sids=WR

Brackets and results are up on Trackwrestling.

Quoting my own post, but the semifinal matchups are set. Wrestling starts back up at 1 PM Eastern time and the afternoon session is free to stream. Only one #1 seed got upset, Anthony Perrotti of Rutgers lost 6-4 to Adam Fierro of Cal State Bakersfield, but a number of other seeded guys went down, including like half the 2 seeds. David Taylor has a first period pin and two 15-0 tech falls despite not wrestling folkstyle in two years and entering the tournament on a whim.

Top 10 teams after Day 1:
1. Iowa (96)
2. Nebraska (78)
3. Rutgers (62)
4. NC State (49.5)
5. Northwestern (42.5)
6. Oregon State (41)
7. Princeton (40.5)
8. Iowa State (38.5)
9. UNI (38)
10. Oklahoma (37.5)

Semifinal matchups:
125:
#2 Thomas Gilman (Iowa) vs. #16 Josh Rodriguez (North Dakota State)
#6 Ronnie Rios (Oregon State) vs. #10 Tim Lambert (Nebraska)
133:
#2 Cory Clark (Iowa) vs. UR Emilio Saavedra (Old Dominion)
#18 Josh Alber (UNI) vs. #20 Anthony Giraldo (Rutgers)
141:
UR Ronnie Perry (Lock Haven) vs. #1 in NAIA Andrew Long (Grand View)
UR Matthew Kolodzik (Princeton) vs. #20 Steve Bleise (Northern Illinois)
149:
#2 Brandon Sorenson (Iowa) vs. #7 Jake Sueflohn (Nebraska)
#3 Jason Tsirtsis (Northwestern) vs. #4 Alexander Richardson (Old Dominion)
157:
#6 Cody Pack (South Dakota State) vs. #11 John Boyle (American)
#7 Thomas Gannt (NC State) vs. #20 Chad Walsh (Rider)
165:
#15 Tanner Weatherman (Iowa State) vs. UR Adam Fierro (Cal State Bakersfield)
#6 Chad Welch (Purdue) vs. UR Mitch Wightman (American)
174:
#3 Alex Meyer (Iowa) vs. #9 Cody Walters (Ohio)
#12 Micah Barnes (Nebraska) vs. #13 Jon Schliefer (Princeton)
184:
David Taylor (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club) vs. #7 Sammy Brooks (Iowa)
#8 Timothy Dudley (Nebraska) vs. #16 Abram Ayala (Princeton)
197:
#4 Nathan Burak (Iowa) vs. #16 Aaron Studebaker (Nebraska)
UR Hayden Hrymack (Rutgers) vs. UR Derek White (Nebraska)
HWT:
#1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NC State) vs. #8 Sam Stoll (Iowa)
#11 Ross Larson (Oklahoma) vs. #18 Tanner Hall (Arizona State)

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 30, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Finals are up now. Get hype.

125:
#2 Thomas Gilman (Iowa) vs.#6 Ronnie Rios (Oregon State)
133:
UR Emilio Saavedra (Old Dominion) vs. #18 Josh Alber (UNI)
141:
#1 in NAIA Andrew Long (Grand View) vs. #20 Steve Bleise (Northern Illinois)
149:
#2 Brandon Sorenson (Iowa) vs.#3 Jason Tsirtsis (Northwestern)
157:
#6 Cody Pack (South Dakota State) vs. #7 Thomas Gannt (NC State)
165:
#15 Tanner Weatherman (Iowa State) vs. #6 Chad Welch (Purdue)
174:
#9 Cody Walters (Ohio) vs. #13 Jon Schliefer (Princeton)
184:
David Taylor (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club) vs. #8 Timothy Dudley (Nebraska)
197:
#4 Nathan Burak (Iowa) vs. UR Derek White (Nebraska)
HWT:
#1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NC State) vs. #18 Tanner Hall (Arizona State)

Go a god drat Cyclone.

Southern Scuffle starts up in a couple days. That's the other big holiday tournament and should be a good time. FloWrestling will be covering all the mats.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Oh, geez, Mike Mrkulik died.

I guess that doesn't mean a lot to most people but he was a long fixture of the local scene. I didn't know him but I knew his students and I recommended a number of friends in the area to him.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I didn't know Mike but he and I had a number of friends in common.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

I didn't know Mike but he and I had a number of friends in common.

Same. It was a car crash, apparently.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I heard Gene Lebell was just an actor/stuntman who roughed up a couple actors in a backyard and on set to get his rep and ran with it. Akin to Bruce Lee. I heard this from Chael Sonnen on his podcast.

Did Gene ever compete?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

always be closing posted:

I heard Gene Lebell was just an actor/stuntman who roughed up a couple actors in a backyard and on set to get his rep and ran with it. Akin to Bruce Lee. I heard this from Chael Sonnen on his podcast.

Did Gene ever compete?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mER2BmNRA&hd=1

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Did Gene ever compete?

Gene is going to make Chael poo poo himself.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Did Gene ever compete?

That sounds more like Seagal than LeBell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Did Gene ever compete?

He does know legit judo and he is legit good at hurting people, but his high judo rank (10th dan red belt) was not legitimately awarded.