Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Those are some beautiful dogs, but where are the best big dogs? (Newfoundlands.)

I'm not sure if Greyhounds count as big dogs but this bed makes my dog look huge:

JustAurora fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Drum posted:

]

I love this thread, and I'm a sucker for Danes. There's a nearly 11-year-old one that comes in for boarding and he just melts into you. :3:

Archer says 'sup :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That line up for those danes is the most correct thing for the conformation show ring ever, in that there is one "pity" black dane, maybe another "pity" harlequin out of frame and everything else is ridiculously oversized fawns and brindles that can't even chase down a rabbit. It makes me nuts but once you get to a certain level, people just sneer anything other than fawns and brindles away because the black-bred lines are breeding down and making dogs that don't fall apart at age 4 while the fawn people just keep breeding them bigger and leggier with insane deep chests that let their internals stretch and roll like they're in a taffy factory.

:) I have feelings about danes.

mattfl posted:

Archer says 'sup :)

*gently covers archer's ears* You get a pass from my dog racism. Good boy.

(jfc he's like five now isn't he?)

In regards to us? Well.

They have their tender moments.

Then Amy has to be Amy.

And sometimes Balen gives as good as he gets.

But yeah.

Some things never change.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 26, 2015

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That line up for those danes is the most correct thing for the conformation show ring ever, in that there is one "pity" black dane, maybe another "pity" harlequin out of frame and everything else is ridiculously oversized fawns and brindles that can't even chase down a rabbit. It makes me nuts but once you get to a certain level, people just sneer anything other than fawns and brindles away because the black-bred lines are breeding down and making dogs that don't fall apart at age 4 while the fawn people just keep breeding them bigger and leggier with insane deep chests that let their internals stretch and roll like they're in a taffy factory.

:) I have feelings about danes.

*gently covers archer's ears* You get a pass from my dog racism. Good boy.

(jfc he's like five now isn't he?)

Yeah, he turns 5 in November :)

He was supervising yard work the other day, he's a great supervisor.

Tired after supervising and needed a nap! I don't think his eyes could have been closed any tighter lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Giant dogs, best dogs.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
There is a disturbing lack of Irish Wolfhounds in this thread. In a fit of nostalgia, my mother recently sent me this pic of their old Wolfie that passed on a couple of years ago:

Koos: the bane of gardeners.

Khioniia
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ Wolfhounds are the best.

He's no great dane, but I hope my wolfhound x staghound pup is acceptable. Meet Charlie:

He has a little old man beard :3:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Charlie looks like a sweetie.

Boyfriend's St. Bernard, Davey, is about 9 years old and has a bad knee. Sometimes he tries to run away from home, gets half a block or so, then sits and waits resignedly for someone to come bring him home. I imagine him as a little old man escaping the nursing home for a few minutes and then deciding he doesn't want to miss dinner. Also, his favorite thing in the world is Papa John's breadsticks. :3:

p.s. When you rub his ear in the right place he makes a sound like a creaky door crossed with a wookie. :3:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Got a new camera, couldnt help but to snap a few shots.

boys will be boys!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Stealing this from the cuteness thread:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugh, Balen's in the hospital with (layman's terms) exploding butt syndrome, basically. Or that's as far as we've gotten with the vet, anyway. Big dude's on fluids, antibiotics and loads of drugs to stop the buttsploding. He feels like dicks at the moment.

And then he escaped the pen he was in and went and trotted around the back visiting people until they corraled him again so, good dog?

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ugh, Balen's in the hospital with (layman's terms) exploding butt syndrome, basically. Or that's as far as we've gotten with the vet, anyway. Big dude's on fluids, antibiotics and loads of drugs to stop the buttsploding. He feels like dicks at the moment.

And then he escaped the pen he was in and went and trotted around the back visiting people until they corraled him again so, good dog?

i hug him soon i KISS him face i feed him rice, broth, and probios

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AsYouWish posted:

i hug him soon i KISS him face i feed him rice, broth, and probios

I gently press pumpkin into him and whisper "it's okay baby" while his tummy grumbles for miles.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
I've got some chicken carcasses in the freezer that have needed to be made into stock for a while, im gonna throw them on tomorrow and make some for him tummy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Vet certified dog rear end OKAY

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

im glad of it

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Polish Pirate posted:

Barnacles is now 14 weeks old, and we took him to the beach for the first time. Good times had by all!

Barnacles thuggin' with his stick

Bulldog sniff time

Just as we were about to leave, we ran into an 180lb Leonberger. Hopefully that inspired Barnie to eat all his kibble!

Tired after a long day:

Bonus crazy face!

Hi yes it has been 6 months since you posted pictures of your bear and it is literally killing me as I scroll through newfoundland breeder websites all day long

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Good dog. Good rear end?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Good dog. Good rear end?

HUGE rear end. But ya he's good. Good boy. He's just chilling out in a room for dogs at this point.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Petey posted:

Hi yes it has been 6 months since you posted pictures of your bear and it is literally killing me as I scroll through newfoundland breeder websites all day long

Argh, sorry forgot about this thread. Been attempting to run an Instagram account for my dude (shameless plug: https://www.instagram.com/barnaclesrepublic/)

Current stats:
- 8.5 months old
- 96 pounds
- Got neutered 3 days ago
- No accidents in 2 months
- Loves dogs with bull in their name (pitbulls, bulldogs, etc), loves little kids, loves licking beards

Random pics from the last few months:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Good golly he's ridiculously adorable. Those eyes :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Polish Pirate posted:

Argh, sorry forgot about this thread. Been attempting to run an Instagram account for my dude (shameless plug: https://www.instagram.com/barnaclesrepublic/)

Current stats:
- 8.5 months old
- 96 pounds
- Got neutered 3 days ago
- No accidents in 2 months
- Loves dogs with bull in their name (pitbulls, bulldogs, etc), loves little kids, loves licking beards

Random pics from the last few months:

Something about your dog's droopy eyelids makes him look like a smaller dog in a newfoundland costume.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something about your dog's droopy eyelids makes him look like a smaller dog in a newfoundland costume.

Newfalo Bill

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Big' can be relative, yes? Because this girl who liked the scent of Spike and Lina enough to follow us the remaining block to the house is bigger than both of them combined. TBH she probably weighs more than ALL my previous dogs combined.

Smelled like death, but not visibly injured or neglected that I could see. Very friendly. Probably not fixed. No collar or chip. We gave her water and coaxed her into the car with dog treats, and delivered her to the local animal rescue.

Edit: and another at the shelter's intake.

Gorgeous dog, really. Can't imagine she'll go unclaimed for long. Anyway, thus concludes my big dog story. If you live in Philly and need additional big dogs in your life, I give her 4 stars.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 28, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKbiXiQ66TU Hey did you hear I got a puppy 'cuz I did. His name's Polaris. He's to be the property LGD, you know. As he gets bigger. For now, he hangs out, learns about being outside, has adventures, is smart. He's a pyrenees/anatolian/australian shepherd cross.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Po rules and I hate you for making my anatolian fever worse

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.
I think its about time I posted here! Meet Morrigan, a female Alaskan Malamute puppy. She is 14 weeks old this week!

Here's a video of the loveable goof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smTe_AcIOww

12 weeks old:

And 14 weeks (today) after an exhausting day at daycare:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

N'awwwwwwwwwwwwww look at her floppy ears!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Great Dane service dog gets the best day ever :3:

https://www.facebook.com/BarkPost/videos/817126581749555/

Slow Loris
Nov 7, 2005

Please sir, may I have some more?

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I got my livestock guardian today. Meet Pelor, he's a pyrenees and he's real fuckin cute

I think he'll be a fine farmdog :3:

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 21, 2016

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Here is my pup.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Big Dog (mastiff) & Big Dog in Training (mastiff x great dane mix)

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Those are some Good Dogs.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
chicken murder day is a good day according to Pelor

vecna wanted in on the action

he's freakishly cute

he got his goats this weekend

they dont like him and it makes him very sad

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

We adopted my Pyr as an adult so I never got to see her as a puppy, please continue to post more of this painfully adorable LGD. I nearly died from that video in the livestock thread

(I also think Vecna is loving adorable so that's a bonus)

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
It's almost gross how cute Pelor is, I can't get over it. I don't think there is anything as adorable as a LGD puppy, I can kinda see why people with totally inappropriate living situations get them now. It really blows me away how different he is compared to Vecna as a puppy. Pelor's super chill and gentle with the rest of the animals, is really affectionate, and likes to nap a lot. Vecna was a wild tornado of teeth and screams who hated everything and everyone, wanted to chase anything that moved, and never, ever slept. Pelor's SO EASY. I know he'll have a chasing phase pretty soon but right now he doesn't even bother the chickens when I take him to the coop to do chores. He'd rather eat poop than pay any attention to them.

I'm also really impressed by how understanding he is towards the goats. They're still pretty freaked out by him and he definitely knows it. They don't mind him when he's laying down but they get spooked when he walks so he's started scooting around on his belly so he can be close to them without scaring them :3:

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
more fat baby pouting because the goats don't love him

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Ausrotten posted:

more fat baby pouting because the goats don't love him

Achhh oh my god I love your dog!! He's so adorable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Pelor and Vecna are the most adorable deity dogs.