Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I mean, they could be well-adjusted and not be friendly and cooperative. It's a dystopia, after all.

Nah, you're forgetting the hue scanner and criminal coefficient works on tracking things like that. That sort of thought tends to get people marked for therapy or prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, you're forgetting the hue scanner and criminal coefficient works on tracking things like that. That sort of thought tends to get people marked for therapy or prison.

It's fictional. The rules governing the dystopia could have been different, is what I'm saying. :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Donnerberg posted:

I binged through Code Geass while I was ravaged by flu and fever, and now I'm sad it's over. I think I accidentally inceptioned myself to need anime. :smith:
What did you like about Code Geass? Shouldn't be too hard to find you more of the same, if that's what you're into.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

I binged through Code Geass while I was ravaged by flu and fever, and now I'm sad it's over. I think I accidentally inceptioned myself to need anime. :smith:

Now you can watch Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, read Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunally, and

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bad Seafood posted:

What did you like about Code Geass? Shouldn't be too hard to find you more of the same, if that's what you're into.

Sure thing, more shows like this would be great.

I enjoyed how the main guy had a Breaking Bad thing going on while the antagonist foiling all his plans was pretty much a literal white knight who you'd expect to be the protagonist. The story didn't always make sense, but I'm okay with that. It was also pretty effective in dangling the his secret identity like a carrot on a stick where I wanted to see people react to finding out, and the show knew that well enough to not indulge.

So I guess I'm looking for anime Breaking Bad?

Rodyle posted:

Now you can watch Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, read Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunally, and

Yeah... no. It can only get worse from here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akito isn't bad if all you want are cool looking CGI robot battles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

Sure thing, more shows like this would be great.

I enjoyed how the main guy had a Breaking Bad thing going on while the antagonist foiling all his plans was pretty much a literal white knight who you'd expect to be the protagonist. The story didn't always make sense, but I'm okay with that. It was also pretty effective in dangling the his secret identity like a carrot on a stick where I wanted to see people react to finding out, and the show knew that well enough to not indulge.

So I guess I'm looking for anime Breaking Bad?

So if you mostly liked the battle of wits aspect, it sounds like Death Note would be right up your alley. The second half is not so good, but the first half is great.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Akito is pretty good most of the time actually, and it's only 4 episodes, with the last one coming out in... March I think.

Nightmare of Nunally is hilarious and a quick read.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sakurazuka posted:

Akito isn't bad if all you want are cool looking CGI robot battles.

I'm not opposed to cool looking CGI robot battles, and I wouldn't want to be in the same room with someone who were.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So if you mostly liked the battle of wits aspect, it sounds like Death Note would be right up your alley. The second half is not so good, but the first half is great.

Thanks, Death Note looks like my thing indeed!

Do titles like Death Note and All You Need Is Kill sound as badass in their original language? Can metal bloom in a flowery language?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Donnerberg posted:

I'm not opposed to cool looking CGI robot battles, and I wouldn't want to be in the same room with someone who were.

Thanks, Death Note looks like my thing indeed!

Do titles like Death Note and All You Need Is Kill sound as badass in their original language? Can metal bloom in a flowery language?

Actually they have the same English titles in Japan because it sounds cooler. It's the same reason Japanese creators crib a lot of German words for naming big robots/ships/superweapons in games and anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i hope the action in this is better choreographed than the action in Seraph of the End

C'mon, there's been some drat good fights in Seraph. Mika's charge through the human strike force a couple of episodes ago was just astonishing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, there's been some drat good fights in Seraph. Mika's charge through the human strike force a couple of episodes ago was just astonishing.

there's been a couple, which is pretty bad when the series has a fight like every episode and is at the end of its second season. mika's charge through was fantastic! it made me go "man i wish the rest of this show's fights were this good." it's honestly somewhat astonishing how flashy the animation gets while simultaneously the action manages to so consistently fall flat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Nightmare of Nunally is hilarious and a quick read.

Nightmare of Nunally is bad. More of the metaphysical bullshit that was one of the weaker parts of R2, a handful of characters stomping everyone else, making characters totally good or totally bad almost at random (Schneizel is good, CC is bad), strategy and tactics being thrown out the window in favor of generic superpower action...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know a lot of people have come around to Geass R2 but for me the high water mark was those last four episodes of the first season. I was so on board with the franchise at that point and while R2 was entertaining enough it just was never the same. I couldn't muster up any energy for the R2 picture diaries or Akito for example.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Silver2195 posted:

Nightmare of Nunally is bad. More of the metaphysical bullshit that was one of the weaker parts of R2, a handful of characters stomping everyone else, making characters totally good or totally bad almost at random (Schneizel is good, CC is bad), strategy and tactics being thrown out the window in favor of generic superpower action...

I didn't mind Nightmare of Nunnally myself, either way, but a number of fans do seem to enjoy it.

There's a highly entertaining version of Zero, even though the character itself is less interesting.

Nate RFB posted:

I know a lot of people have come around to Geass R2 but for me the high water mark was those last four episodes of the first season. I was so on board with the franchise at that point and while R2 was entertaining enough it just was never the same. I couldn't muster up any energy for the R2 picture diaries or Akito for example.

I definitely agree the first season was the best part of the show in most respects. I love episodes 23 to 25. That's hard to argue against. Even so, I thought R2 ended very well at the time and still think that today. After revisiting the whole thing a few times and doing some behind-the-scenes research, I am satisfied with the big picture of both seasons beyond any initial frustrations. To put it in a few words, Code Geass is an entertaining over-the-top adventure with a very theatrical direction, a healthy dose of self-awareness for its crazy plot twists, plus a few interesting character dynamics and a suitable arc for its protagonist. You can certainly nitpick some of the writing, in both valid and purely self-serving ways, but that's missing the point.

What I like about Akito the Exiled, which admittedly is not what all fans want to see, is that it's not exactly more of the same. There are a handful of familiar elements and evident nods, to be sure, but it works well enough as a pretty decent mecha action OVA with a relatively different appeal. There's less craziness and more world-building, for example. Kazuki Akane is not trying to copy Goro Taniguchi, but he's an excellent director in his own right with unique interests and priorities. The production delays did drag it down though, but I've enjoyed watching each chapter.

Incidentally, here's the official trailer for Akito 5, the final chapter which will come out in early February (if you live in Japan, that is). Spoilers for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0LJUhHdU9o

wielder fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 18, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Geass and Geass R2 was a major milestone for me in that I loving loved the poo poo out of it. I got into Geass after it had already aired, and marathoned it, and marveled at how everything went wrong - the tragedy with Euphemia stayed in my mind because it was so hosed up. Dude just made a joke and then everything goes wrong for all parties.

So I fanatically followed R2, followed GG Subs, followed the GG Subs Blog and their hosed up joke fanfics featuring Schneizel having sex with his aide's hat, and followed the GG Subs IRC and played Mafia with the IRC folk while waiting for the new subs to come up. I rewatched the entire first season as R2 was airing to refresh my memory. I raged at what I perceived to be lovely plot but I was loving determined to see it through.

Then, when R2 ended, I just... couldn't finish an anime. I'd start something, but nothing had the same thrill that I got from following R2. I was like that for a year or two. Anime was dead to me because nothing could top Code Geass.

I don't think the current me would like Code Geass. I don't care for mecha, robots, etc. I find myself leaning towards slice of life, comedy, romance, and so on. But Code Geass changed anime for me and it'll always remain in my memory. It wasn't just about the series, it was about following the series with a bunch of other people, understanding the injokes and memes, and so on.

Which is why Code Geass is the only robot anime anyone should ever watch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what's appealing about geass isn't really the robots, so idk why you disliking robots would affect your enjoyment of geass. the robots are just a way for the battles to be big and flashy, like the personalities on display and the schemes unfolding.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

More of the metaphysical bullshit that was one of the weaker parts of R2, a handful of characters stomping everyone else, making characters totally good or totally bad almost at random (Schneizel is good, CC is bad), strategy and tactics being thrown out the window in favor of generic superpower action...

Yeah it's comedy gold, I agree.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Geass and Geass R2 was a major milestone for me in that I loving loved the poo poo out of it. I got into Geass after it had already aired, and marathoned it, and marveled at how everything went wrong - the tragedy with Euphemia stayed in my mind because it was so hosed up. Dude just made a joke and then everything goes wrong for all parties.

One day in the future someone might convince me that scene didn't involve the show's writers pussying out like a bunch spineless babies, but I don't think it's going to be any time soon.
Still, good show, good thread, good pizza.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Which is why Code Geass is the only robot anime anyone should ever watch.

This is wrong and you should feel bad.

As for the gg people...sometimes they were cool and chill folks, but at other times they were trying too hard and just made me shake my head.

Jostiband posted:

One day in the future someone might convince me that scene didn't involve the show's writers pussying out like a bunch spineless babies, but I don't think it's going to be any time soon.

It may not change your mind, but for me the aftermath more than made up for the perceived shortcut they took.

Lelouch killed the woman and dragged her name through the mud, which had extra consequences, so the staff didn't leave him blameless..

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 18, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

what's appealing about geass isn't really the robots, so idk why you disliking robots would affect your enjoyment of geass. the robots are just a way for the battles to be big and flashy, like the personalities on display and the schemes unfolding.

A lot of biases are not based on rationality or reason. Neither am I, for that matter.

To be honest, the current me wouldn't have given Geass a try in the first place. I literally got into Geass cause I saw a fanart of Villetta or whatever the chick's name was. So I wouldn't have enjoyed Geass cause the robots would have turned me off in the first place.

wielder posted:

This is wrong and you should feel bad.

As for the gg people...sometimes they were cool and chill folks, but at other times they were trying too hard and just made me shake my head.

I don't like robots. I don't regret it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A lot of biases are not based on rationality or reason. Neither am I, for that matter.

Chaotic neutral...

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I don't like robots. I don't regret it.

Oh, you're free to personally dislike robots. I am not trying to deny that way of life.

But it's still very silly to preach that to other people. And also very wrong. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

This is also true for the vast majority of mecha shows. I think the director of VOTOMS even said that he saw them as just window dressing/merch fodder.

e: And like, there are SOL/comedy/romance shows with robots in them, it's not a genre. They're just things that exist in some shows.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 18, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Director: Ayumu Watanabe
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Music: Kaoru Wada

Phoenix Wright: Yūki Kaji
Maya Fey: Aoi Yūki
Miles Edgeworth: Masashi Tamaki
Mia Fey: Chie Nakamura
Dick Gumshoe: Masami Iwasaki
Larry Butz: Tōru Nara

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool but also looks like it's just going to be an adaptation of the first game so, eh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is also airing in April, so yeah, Spring keeps looking like my season.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Re:Zero has been confirmed as a spring show too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFfXjuVA1Jk

It's one of the bigger Narou titles, so I'm curious to see how it will turn out with the anime audience. The original web novel is currently up to 10000 pages, so there should be enough material for a season or two.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
God there's like three shows airing next season that all appeal to me. JoJo, My Hero, and now Ace Attorney. April's gonna be packed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From Jump Festa, it sounds like the Ace Attorney anime will cover the first two games.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I can't wait to hear the japanese rendition of a clown singing fresh prince of bel air

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

From Jump Festa, it sounds like the Ace Attorney anime will cover the first two games.

Good, they'll have some of the best cases. Hopefully they skip the circus case, though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i really want to see Max get animated, regardless of the circus case being hated

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Trailer for a 2016 (?) show called Qualidea Code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFqqKSxMk0

Apparently the story's a collaboration by the trio of brilliant minds behind the novel series Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Date A Live and Oregairu, so it practically can't fail.

Iwasaki Taku's doing the music, though!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Assuming a 2 cour series, it's a safe bet that Ace Attorney's going to be skipping Rise from the Ashes.

Edit: A manga adaptation of the AA anime will run in V Jump.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 19, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Assuming a 2 cour series, it's a safe bet that Ace Attorney's going to be skipping Rise from the Ashes.

Isn't there already an AA manga cribbing off the game stories though? :psyduck:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

e: wrong thread i guess but it was AA-related oh well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, the pre-existing manga was a collection of original cases.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

If they skip Rise from the Ashes I will destroy this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Some offscreen of the Diamond is Unbreakable PV

• Locked thread