Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I did hear once that you're supposed to wash resin kits in warm; soapy water before painting them, so that may help. Can anyone confirm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It depends on whether or not they still have the release agent on their surface, which they most likely do.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

You should always wash any model with soapy water before doing anything with it, really.

Anyway, pics of bootleg kit:

Fancy Fujifilm photo that was incuded:

Photocopied instructions:

Decals:

Bag of a million parts:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Must Love Mark V

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well like the manual says that's a Wave 1/144 Gundam mkV. Looks to be a full kit too, as per usual for 1/144.

If it's by Wave, it's probably not a recast. Should be really high quality, so have fun with it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

BlitzBlast posted:

Well like the manual says that's a Wave 1/144 Gundam mkV. Looks to be a full kit too, as per usual for 1/144.

If it's by Wave, it's probably not a recast. Should be really high quality, so have fun with it.

Oh, Wave is legit, then? Good to know. What show is this actually from?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...Gundam? To be more specific it's from Gundam Sentinel, a novel series, but the name sort of gives it away.

Here's a wiki page.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

BlitzBlast posted:

...Gundam? To be more specific it's from Gundam Sentinel, a novel series, but the name sort of gives it away.

Here's a wiki page.

Oh, should have clarified that I know ZERO about Gundam outside of the novelizations of Original Gundam and Char's Counterattack (I'm a Macross guy). Thanks for the info; I may or may not mess around with this after I finish up the GunCannon I'm working on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh, should have clarified that I know ZERO about Gundam outside of the novelizations of Original Gundam and Char's Counterattack (I'm a Macross guy). Thanks for the info; I may or may not mess around with this after I finish up the GunCannon I'm working on.

There are dozens of animated series, movies, and comics to get lost in; the Mk V is pretty obscure. The Gundam thread can help if you want to know more about the Gundam universes.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I bought the IBO Schwalbe Graze. To make Gaelio's Graze, would I just need to get the options parts set 1?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I bought the IBO Schwalbe Graze. To make Gaelio's Graze, would I just need to get the options parts set 1?

Yes, but there's also a web exclusive with the appropriate weaponry in Gaelio's colours.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Don't care, I paint eveything. Sometimes I wish Bandai would release these things in grey plastic for cheap as a separate line. Or at least try to include waterslide decals as normal.

The origin zaku I'm working on atm

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
SOC gaogaigar is rly big

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Today I finally put together my Turn X! Yay! However, I broke my Deathscythe Hell's ankle armour. I do have some plastic cement, but I don't have a good way of holding the two pieces together as it broke at where the armour bends. So now I'm looking for replacement parts at this point. Anyone know a good place/site for replacement parts?

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 19, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mad Lupine posted:

Today I finally put together my Turn X! Yay! However, I broke my Deathscythe Hell's ankle armour. I do have some plastic cement, but I don't have a good way of holding the two pieces together as it broke at where the armour bends. So now I'm looking for replacement parts at this point. Anyone know a good place/site for replacement parts?

Gundam store and more has a parts service. They pull from defective and damaged stuff in their inventory so they don't have everything but they're worth checking if you're in the US.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Really though, you don't have many options for Parts Service in the west. Wait for Gentei Kits to get their act together I guess? Or buy the Dragon Momoko bootleg, which sadly isn't all that more expensive than actually ordering new parts.

Anyway remember when I translated gunpla manuals? A game translation I'd been working on until now recently finished, so to keep my skills fresh I'm spending an hour a day on manuals again. I can only translate stuff that dalong has good scans of so don't expect much old things, but there's still a lot to work through.

Today I worked on the MG Build Strike FP's bio.

quote:

BUILD STRIKE GUNDAM FULL PACKAGE: MECHANICAL DATA
Name: Build Strike Gundam - Build Fighter Sei Iori Custom Made Mobile Suit

Imagined and constructed by Sei Iori, this is an original Gunpla based on the GAT-X105 Strike Gundam that originally appeared in "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED". Compared to the base Strike, the main points of customization are the head, the shoulders, and the waist. The shape of the head's antenna was changed, and the number of Vulcans was increased from two to four. The shoulder armor expanded in size, and two built-in thrusters were added to not only enhance side-to-side mobility, but to also make dodging enemy attacks much simpler. As for the waist, the Armor Schneider combat knives originally stored in the side skirt armor have been replaced with beam sabers (the base Strike stored its beam sabers on the Aile Striker, the machine itself had none).

Outside of these major differences, Sei added his own design touches all over the frame. The basic concept of these customizations was entirely to enhance mobility. The end result of this was a machine with its performance raised to its very limits, and at the same time a Gunpla that was exceedingly difficult to control. In order to truly showcase its abilities, this machine had no choice but to wait for a talented, dedicated Fighter like Reiji. In its first match with Reiji as the Fighter, this machine's peerless mobility allowed it to seize victory in Gunpla Battle with only its onboard weapons (the Vulcans and the Beam Sabers). Afterwards the machine evolved over time as original weapons and then the Build Booster were added on, and eventually the Build Strike Full Package was completed. It would proceed to win numerous Gunpla Battles and advance to the top.

As a child, Sei Iori, this machine's Builder, watched his father Takeshi win second place in the Second Gunpla Battle World Championship. This gave him his own dreams of Gunpla Battle. And since his home was a Model Kit store, in a way he grew up in "an environment dedicated to building Gunpla". When the Build Strike was completed, it was packed with the dreams of Gunpla Battle Sei inherited from his father. His mother Rinko noticed this immediately, and remarked that "[the Build Strike] has the same kind of aura as the models your dad built".

Sei was very skilled in constructing Gunpla, and he had an abundance of ideas. Unfortunately, he was not as blessed as a Fighter, and was unable to effectively use the superior Gunpla he built in battle. For him to grasp the victory that for so long eluded him, a Fighter like Reiji who could draw out the full potential of the Build Strike was absolutely essential. Making the most out of both its talented Builder and its excellent Fighter, the Build Strike continued to steadily achieve victory in Gunpla Battle.

However, as they continued to win and approach ever close to the Gunpla Battle World Championship, Sei realized that a battle style that understood and made use of the special characteristics of Plavsky Particles was essential. Using the experiences he had gained in the previous battles as inspiration, Sei began construction of a new Gunpla, made solely for the World Championship.

I guess tomorrow I'll work on the Build Booster and its weapons.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 19, 2015

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mad Lupine posted:

I've had success just using my hands to hold the piece for about 30 seconds to a minute and then leaving the part alone for 24 hours so it fully cures

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's a MG Double X at my local Barnes and Nobles, and I'm almost tempted to get it despite the fact I already have one.

Not even sure what I'd do with it, maybe dock it with my G Falcon?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
A holiday gift for someone!!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

There's few things that make me happier than finding a piece that I've spent at week scouring my apartment for.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Monaghan posted:

There's few things that make me happier than finding a piece that I've spent at week scouring my apartment for.

Even better if it's just sitting in plain view but camouflaged by whatever it's sitting on.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

BlitzBlast posted:

Really though, you don't have many options for Parts Service in the west. Wait for Gentei Kits to get their act together I guess? Or buy the Dragon Momoko bootleg, which sadly isn't all that more expensive than actually ordering new parts.

Anyway remember when I translated gunpla manuals? A game translation I'd been working on until now recently finished, so to keep my skills fresh I'm spending an hour a day on manuals again. I can only translate stuff that dalong has good scans of so don't expect much old things, but there's still a lot to work through.

Today I worked on the MG Build Strike FP's bio.

I guess tomorrow I'll work on the Build Booster and its weapons.

Is there a page where you have other manual translations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Even better if it's just sitting in plain view but camouflaged by whatever it's sitting on.

Set a flashlight shining parallel to the ground and look for the shadows.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

There's a MG Double X at my local Barnes and Nobles, and I'm almost tempted to get it despite the fact I already have one.
Not even sure what I'd do with it, maybe dock it with my G Falcon?
If it helps you out ill give you my home adress no problem.

Anyway:
Is there a way to put cash onto my paypal acccount or get a voucher or something (in the EU?)
I want to keep my holiday giftmoney separate from my bank account but I also want to get a few kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

EdsTeioh posted:

Just a heads up: you've got a pretty rare kit there, with no plastic counterpart, and could probably flip it on eBay for a couple hundred bucks if you're so inclined.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

SOC gaogaigar is rly big

Awesome, right?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah! I just need to figure out where Im gonna put it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If you think that's tricky you should pick up Goldymarg. Hammer form adds an extra ~40% height to GaoGaiGar

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Name: Build Booster - Build Strike Gundam Support Unit

In order to make use of the base Strike Gundam's ability to "install additional equipment (Striker Packs) on its back", Sei constructed a Support Unit. He remodeled the EW454F Ootori backpack, which originates from "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny HD REMASTER" as equipment for the Strike Rouge. While the Ootori was equipped with a variety of weapons such a railgun, a beam cannon, missiles, and a blade for close-quarters combat, in order to prioritize mobility Sei only kept two Large Beam Cannons. The backpack itself was customized in pursuit of the utmost mobility. As a result of these efforts, when the Build Booster docks with the Build Strike to form the Full Package, the Build Strike's output rises to 160%. And thanks to the multiple angles the two wings can make, the Build Strike Full Package's midair mobility is notably enhanced.

In addition to all of this, the Build Booster's ability to separate from the main Build Strike and move independently is particularly worthy of notice. Because of this, even if circumstances prevent the machine from being able to fight, the Build Booster can split off and continue the battle. It's also capable of this even when the Build Strike is is good condition, meaning the Full Package has the ability to split into two cooperating machines. This allows for a wide range of battle strategies. However, in order to actually pilot two machines at the same time, Reiji's piloting skills are not enough. Sei's support capabilities are essential.

quote:

BUILD STRIKE GUNDAM FULL PACKAGE: ARMAMENTS

Enhanced Beam Rifle:
A new add-on weapon Sei made. It can output a much stronger beam than the Beam Rifle. To prevent this destructive power from tearing the weapon itself apart, Sei separated the barrel into two to split the burden. When releasing a high-output beam, both the top and the bottom barrels release a beam, which then combines into the main beam. In situations where rapid-fire is required, the the top barrel can fire alone. When firing, charged energy is indicated by the green lamps on the top and bottom lighting up together.

Beam Rifle:
The Build Strike's Beam Rifle isn't a customization of the Strike's, it's an original design Sei created himself. It has variable output, and at its highest settings its destructive power is comparable to that of a Hyper Mega Launcher's. To withstand this power, the gun barrel was reinforced with metal parts. With its balance between rapid fire and destructive might, it's a reliable weapon useful in all sorts of situations.

Large Beam Cannon:
The two beam cannons equipped on the Build Booster. They can move forward from their place on the back to under the arms in order to be fired. When the Build Booster is separated from the Build Strike and is acting as an independent unit, it can still use these weapons. The Large Beam Cannons are among the strongest among the Build Strike's weapons, but it requires the entire machine to face the target. It's much more difficult for them to hit fast moving opponents compared to the Beam Rifle. Still, they possess enough power to take down enemies in a single, fatal blow.

Beam Gun:
The weapon left behind when the Beam Rifle's barrel is removed. This is the weakest of the Build Strike's equipped beam weapons, which also means it has the lowest rate of energy expenditure and thus is capable of rapid fire capable. The gun barrel is small and easy to handle, so it can be used even in extremely short distances where ranged weapons would normally be unfeasible. Using the proper weapon is an important part of understanding the situation of the battle.

Beam Saber:
Close-quarters combat weapons stored in the waist's side armor. A standard weapon for Gundams, upon being activated a beam blade will be emitted. The base Strike did not have Beam Sabers, and instead possessed combat knives called Armor Schneiders. By replacing these with Beam Sabers, Sei enabled this machine to always be able to safely engage in close-quarters combat, thus successfully balancing out the Build Strike's combat capabilities.

Chobham Shield:
A laminated Chobham Shield formed by overlaying countless thin sheets of plastic. These thin sheets break individually, so whenever an attack is received the destructive energy is dispersed. Compared to a regular shield of a similar size, the Chobham Shield can withstand an order of magnitude greater amounts of damage. It can even withstand a direct hit from a Hyper Mega Launcher. However, since the construction process is very time-consuming and requires a great deal of patience, there are few people who could build something like this.

Vulcans:
Small physical ammo guns built into the head. They're weak, but can be fired very quickly and can be used in a wide variety of ways from intercepting incoming missiles to shooting out enemy sensors. The base Strike only had two, but Sei increased the amount to four so the Build Strike could fire off quirk bursts of bullets over an expanded scope of area.

The MG BF manuals are pretty much just slightly expanded versions of the HG's. Meh.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

are you going to translate the mg universe booster?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If somebody asks for it, sure. Current queue is:

1. AGE-1
2. GM 2.0
3. AGE-2
4. Tallgeese
5. Nu vKa
6. Sazabi vKa
7. Turn X
8. Turn A

As far as I know Turn X and Turn A were already translated elsewhere, but apparently people want a translation check? Dalong has awful scans of the Turn A manual but I have the thing myself and can just make better scans.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 21, 2015

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Does anyone have any tips about repairing stuff with plastic cement? The part of my HG V2AB that connects the wings to the backpack broke off, and I thought I had it fixed, but when I went to put it back in after waiting ~18-20 hours for it to cure it came apart again right away. I think I vaguely remember that it's not a good idea to have the air be damp when you're putting the cement, but it's been raining really hard here so I don't think there's anything I can do about that... will waiting longer help it cure?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Plastic cement works by melting plastic, so I don't see why damp air would do anything about that.

How long did you let the cement activate? If you just used it like superglue, you're not going to get a very strong bond. And speaking of superglue, have you considered just using that? It's pretty good at what it does.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

Plastic cement works by melting plastic, so I don't see why damp air would do anything about that.

How long did you let the cement activate? If you just used it like superglue, you're not going to get a very strong bond. And speaking of superglue, have you considered just using that? It's pretty good at what it does.

Activate? You mean, holding it together? The bottle said 10-20 seconds, so that's what I did... and, I haven't tried using superglue on this exact thing, but when I tried it on a similar break a year or two ago I got pretty much the same result.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Activate as in how long did you wait for the cement to do its thing and melt the plastic.

A friend informed me that damp air generally just makes it take longer for things to evaporate. You waited long enough that that's probably not the issue though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 21, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

20 seconds is nowhere near long enough to set up a load bearing part, you need to clamp or rubber band the part together overnight. It's also not going to be a super strong bond and if you broke a load bearing part then you will may have to reinforce the joint with a metal rod.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 21, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
This 1/144 Strike Eagle comes with the shoulder decals already applied instead of providing a decals sheet.

That'd be nice and all if I wasn't going to be painting it, so now it's going to pain me to paint over perfectly good decals.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's actually why Bandai stopped doing things like that!

Here, have a big dump of AGE-1 manuals.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I wish the Nightingale had an MG-quality manual, so you could translate that, but from looking at it, it seems to be just general descriptions of the weapons. :smith:

Also, whatever happened to Gundam Central? I was gonna order that 1/144 Penelope from them with my year end bonus but it looks like they went under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I wish the Nightingale had an MG-quality manual, so you could translate that, but from looking at it, it seems to be just general descriptions of the weapons. :smith:

Also, whatever happened to Gundam Central? I was gonna order that 1/144 Penelope from them with my year end bonus but it looks like they went under?

They lost their website and had to make a new one. here: http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/?zenid=8b19fe7490b2dd63d54199167c84bc34