Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Weekly update:

Kono Danshi, Mahou ga Oshigoto Desu is short and not full length.
Rainbow Days is short and not full length.
Ketsuekigata-kun! 4 is a new short show.
Tabimachi Late Show is a new short show.
Tamayura: Sotsugyou Shashin Part 4 - Ashita is a new movie.

New PV:
Koukaku no Pandora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn2ZB9v22U4

New PV:
Rainbow Days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWkFNSt9ZyY

...and a few small things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad that I'm still not in the op, op

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm glad that I'm still not in the op, op

:bahgawd:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Rainbow Days is short and not full length.

Boo. :( At least there's Snow White for my shoujo shows.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nondevor posted:

Boo. :( At least there's Snow White for my shoujo shows.
I think 15 minute episodes are appropriate for this series.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

I binged through Code Geass while I was ravaged by flu and fever, and now I'm sad it's over. I think I accidentally inceptioned myself to need anime. :smith:

If you'd like to see cool looking robots duking out while throwing Galaxies at each other maybe Gurren Lagan? :shrug:

It's a different beast than Code Geass, but it's regarded as one of the best shows in the genre.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Speaking of Geass, I'm like 80% of the way through Valvrave and I still see no shame in saying that I really like Valvrave. Like I just don't understand the coolanimeguy persona that hates these types of shows. They just rule.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Valvrave was a lot of fun for the first season, but then the rape. And then the second season was much more boring than the first.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also the design for the neon robots was bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Also the design for the neon robots was bad.

The red and green ones were alright, but the rest were lame.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

kater posted:

Speaking of Geass, I'm like 80% of the way through Valvrave and I still see no shame in saying that I really like Valvrave. Like I just don't understand the coolanimeguy persona that hates these types of shows. They just rule.

Don't know where trying to be a "cool guy" comes into it, I just found it to be pretty poor. When it comes to mecha from that year, Majestic Prince struck more of a cord with me.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Valvrave was a lot of fun for the first season, but then the rape. And then the second season was much more boring than the first.

I was actually going to say except for the rape because what the gently caress, but the show brushed past it swiftly and kiiiiiiiiiiiinda incorporated it... kiiiiiiiiiinda. Like it's just loving stupid, but it was novel to see it actually have meaning for that character. The fact they've done absolutely nothing with her after that bothered me more really.

Also I like the purple robot. The yellow and green ones are the real turds. Liked the bizarre enemy designs in the first season too, when they graduate to mecha they lose their charm though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Valvrave was underwhelming at best and bordering on offensive at worst. I don't hate it like loving Guilty Crown, no, but I won't recommend it either. Both Gargantia and Majestic Prince were ultimately better options for a 2013 mecha series even with their own sets of issues.

More people should watch stuff like Gun X Sword that is similar to Geass in the right ways, rather than the shows that try and fail to be apparent copycats. Which is why Active Raid is probably going to be pretty fun too, and it doesn't need to have a remotely similar concept or premise to evoke that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Well after finishing it the second half felt completely and totally disconnected from the first. Like even the existential crisis of turning into a rape-vampire got converted wholesale. It was still pretty entertaining though.

I think next I'm going to watch Arpeggio of Blue Steel. Which, from what I remembered, has the same premise as that show with the personified loli ww2 battleships.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

wielder posted:

Valvrave was underwhelming at best and bordering on offensive at worst. I don't hate it like loving Guilty Crown, no, but I won't recommend it either. Both Gargantia and Majestic Prince were ultimately better options for a 2013 mecha series even with their own sets of issues.

More people should watch stuff like Gun X Sword that is similar to Geass in the right ways, rather than the shows that try and fail to be apparent copycats. Which is why Active Raid is probably going to be pretty fun too, and it doesn't need to have a remotely similar concept or premise to evoke that.

That season was so strange, as the mostly generic Majestic Prince (loaded with Hirai-face!) ended up being much better than both Gargantia and Valvrave. MP was pretty goddamn dumb, but it stuck to its guns and told a coherent story which is more than I can say for the other two.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked valvrave for being the most insane bullshit ever

there was some stupid plot twist literally every episode, which was fun

the second season wasn't as good as the first but the enemy becoming the alien vampire illuminati was still pretty fun. i liked it

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
All I remember is my friends called it "Valve Ralve" and there was a musical episode which they were very jazzed about.

Oh and there's a guy named L-Elf. Whatta name.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Serious Frolicking posted:

That season was so strange, as the mostly generic Majestic Prince (loaded with Hirai-face!) ended up being much better than both Gargantia and Valvrave. MP was pretty goddamn dumb, but it stuck to its guns and told a coherent story which is more than I can say for the other two.

In addition, MJP had the best use of 3DCG and the most elaborate combat sequences thanks to Studio Orange, which also helps. I would say that Gargantia arguably had the best concept and a couple of memorable characters, but some weird execution dragged it down. I suppose Urobuchi should have directly written more episodes in order to smooth things. The 3D wasn't too great either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

wielder posted:

In addition, MJP had the best use of 3DCG and the most elaborate combat sequences thanks to Studio Orange, which also helps. I would say that Gargantia arguably had the best concept and a couple of memorable characters, but some weird execution dragged it down. I suppose Urobuchi should have directly written more episodes in order to smooth things. The 3D wasn't too great either.

See, Gargantia started great but it never lived up to that initial potential. Valvrave was dragged down by the rape and how utterly pointless the second season was. It could never quite decide if it wanted to be an absurd spectacle or a serious space robot show (lol), but it got worse at both as the show continued. Meanwhile, Majestic Prince just kept on trucking with a consistent, moderate level of quality.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

kater posted:

I'm a coolanimeguy persona that hates "these types" of shows. What would you like to know?

It's mostly just probability. Code Geass is a shining exception, but too much else is garbage, and I'd rather just watch something exceptional. Valvrave is not exceptional.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Vavlrave's first season was completely goddamn terrible and incredible, S2 was an utter snore except for the bit where Eruerufu and whathisface are having a fistfight on the moon while insulting each other's waifus.

I wish rather rewatch VRS1 a thousand times than rewatch Gargantia, talk about 13 episodes of nothing (except for Chamber).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gargantia was stupid

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MJP was also stupid, but in a good way. It also did a lot of things right that I appreciated, like poking fun at the typical idea of the character with anime disease, giving an actual reasonable explanation for how the aliens' shields worked, and really good fight design.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've posted the Best of 2015 thread now. Do your thing, Namtab.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

darkgray posted:

good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

darkgray posted:

Stickied.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

Tomorrow

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

kater posted:

Well after finishing it the second half felt completely and totally disconnected from the first. Like even the existential crisis of turning into a rape-vampire got converted wholesale. It was still pretty entertaining though.

I think next I'm going to watch Arpeggio of Blue Steel. Which, from what I remembered, has the same premise as that show with the personified loli ww2 battleships.

I generally agree with what you've said about Valvrave. Not that the first season was any monument to any sort of objective value of good quality, but at least it was entertaining. S2 was mostly just boring and completely removed from the first one. Hell, they even had that flash forward in episode 6(?) and then did basically nothing with it. Sunrise seems to have real issues with second seasons, as a huge number of their significant properties have completely dropped the ball in them - or at least significant portions of them. Geass, SEED, and 00 come to mind immediately, but there are a few other cases I can think of quickly as well.

As for Arpeggio, just realize that the manga is far better, and that their mass usage of CG means a number of things looks really janky in more than a few scenes. Ships look fine, characters not so much. Plotwise, while many plot elements and personalities are changed or skipped to begin with, the anime basically completely veers away from the source material around episode 6 and does its own (really weird) thing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
New 2016 anime announced, Kuromukuro from PA Works and the Darker than Black director:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4cmZ5FnHjQ

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

its here

In the end, I did not add the poll for worst mod of 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

In the end, I did not add the poll for worst mod of 2015

it's ralp

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I like the best of threads. Gives me ideas for things to watch. Looks like I should check out parasyte.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Agronox posted:

I like the best of threads. Gives me ideas for things to watch. Looks like I should check out parasyte.

I like the manga a lot more, for what it's worth.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I like the manga a lot more, for what it's worth.

:agreed:, i only made it about halfway through the anime because it just didn't give me much over the manga. Aya Hirano is amazing as Migi, though.
Iwaaki's art is kinda odd but i still prefer it over the anime. also wasn't a fan of the ill-used ost and some of the modernisation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember Wake Up, Girls!? You know, the thing that started out trying to be a scathing commentary on idol culture but then just became idol culture?

It's back, in short form!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

did the girls wake up?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember Wake Up, Girls!? You know, the thing that started out trying to be a scathing commentary on idol culture but then just became idol culture?

It's back, in short form!
i don't think it was really trying to be scathing commentary on idol culture tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, I'm just going by second hand comments on the movie and stuff. I can confidently say that it was bad like everything Yamamoto has been involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

i don't think it was really trying to be scathing commentary on idol culture tbh

"Scathing commentary" might be overstating it, but it had an amusingly cynical edge early on that it dropped as it turned into a generic underdog sports story.

• Locked thread