Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im halfway through the first ep and normie tier anim one punmch man is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

i can never look at this anime the same again after reading the analysis of the jingoism in it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Consecutive normal punches :frogbon:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 21, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Eej posted:

i can never look at this anime the same again after reading the analysis of the jingoism in it

Yeah those things were assholes in Banjo Tooie

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Eej posted:

i want to ask, but also not.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

littleorv posted:

Yeah those things were assholes in Banjo Tooie

You motherfucker, I was gonna make that same goddamn joke.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've no idea about jingoism in Gunbuster, but I do think the message about hard work and guts is somewhat undercut by the fact that Noriko has a latent talent for doing lightning attacks and only really even did anything because of nepotism on Coach's part. The hard work and guts angle still makes a lot more impact, but I do wish Coach's training of Noriko had been reworked slightly to remove the nepotism.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zzulu posted:

I love how it's consistent with the op fight where the force of the punches crater the gently caress out of whatever ' behind Boros.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zzulu posted:

I somehow never noticed that Saitama's lazy rear end punches actually crater the ground all the way down there :vince:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Namtab posted:

sabers bare breasts > tosaka's lewd anus

stfu

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

here's my analysis of this post:

it bad

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

Post the evidence so that I can destroy you

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Namtab posted:

im halfway through the first ep and normie tier anim one punmch man is good

im autistic 2 and I like the punch man therefore NOT NORMIE

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Eej posted:

:chloe:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Namtab posted:

Post the evidence so that I can destroy you

https://animekritik.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/imperialism-translation-gunbuster-episode-one/ have fun

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

no thanks.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

im autistic 2 and I like the punch man therefore NOT NORMIE

keep training, you'll become autistic 3 before long

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I blame Josuke Higashikata for all of this

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Somehow the OPM anime thread has led to the discussion of jingoism of Gunbuster in it.

Kill the thread

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Somehow the OPM anime thread has led to the discussion of jingoism of Gunbuster in it.

Kill the thread

Hang on I'm going to read the thing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's a load of bollocks, finding minor things to reach for the author's interpretation

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There are japanese flags on the japanese spaceship, in the show made for the japanese. Clearly jingoistic

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Zzulu posted:

That moment when you realize you're fighting a god

Saitama isn't just a God, he's the God that Gods pray to :colbert:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Too soon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

There are japanese flags on the japanese spaceship, in the show made for the japanese. Clearly jingoistic
yeah. it's showing that japan is a major space power and has attained some form of independence, but there's a difference between that and jingoism. people seem to reach for anything where the japanese don't portray themselves as turdmongling fuckbrains as 'jingoistic.'

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Day late, actually.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Day late, actually.

The man was buried yesterday!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
not that I want to continue this silly derail but I totally forgot that in the background fluff for Gunbuster, Japan buys Hawaii from America, who then regrets this decision and invades Pearl Harbour and is promptly crushed in the ensuing Second Japanese-American war

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Somebody make a gif of Saitama walking backwards stupidly fast from the beginning of the episode.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Eej posted:

not that I want to continue this silly derail but I totally forgot that in the background fluff for Gunbuster, Japan buys Hawaii from America, who then regrets this decision and invades Pearl Harbour and is promptly crushed in the ensuing Second Japanese-American war

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

stop

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
not that I want to continue this silly derail but I totally want to continue this silly derail

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tornado is actually a stand-in for russia, genos is america, and saitama is japan eternally bored knowing it could crush all these foolish nations with a single strike

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boros clearly represents china

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Mumen Rider is belgium

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm namtab

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the last episode was beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Namtab posted:

I'm namtab

Oh no Namtab, you got butted again! Bring back Kaaaaaren ASAP.

• Locked thread