Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Michymech posted:

But we are watching from the point of view as Saitama, every time its not even a contest in the slightest, Boros sits there and harps on about how the contest is clear and its going to be him winning and goes monologuing how he is going to win, even Saitama interrupts it with "blah blah blah". and this is really a very small nitpick when you look at the fight as a whole, loving amazing from start to finish and the theme song playing while they are fighting really works for me personally, helps lure you into thinking that its actually going to be a real fight that Saitama actually fights for real and almost makes you root for Boros for how hard he's going all out

I don't actually disagree with you on a thematic level or about the part where this is a minor nitpick. I wouldn't even list it as a flaw, just a difference between how I'd interpret a single moment in the episode and how the animators did.

I just think it'd be really cool if the Serious Punch had a little more dramatic oomph. I'd feel this way about anything Saitama calls part of his "Serious Series," really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Isn't part of the point that it's not that big of a deal, though? The Serious Punch is just throwing a punch with the bare minimum of actual effort. If it were a video game it'd be a tap of the button not an impressive combo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Isn't part of the point that it's not that big of a deal, though? The Serious Punch is just throwing a punch with the bare minimum of actual effort. If it were a video game it'd be a tap of the button not an impressive combo.

I don't actually disagree with you on a thematic level or even about the part where even a Serious Punch is just using the bare minimum of actual effort. This is really a very, very, very minor difference of opinion here.

I just think that even a bare minimum of effort could look hecka dope if Saitama's the one applying it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It is a huge deal though, even if he threw with 0.5% power instead of 0.00000r%.
Nothing upcoming gives any point of context to the power of that shot, nor has ONE really ever said how hard he could punch at 100% besides "he could wipe out half the known galaxy with one punch".

He's absolutely apathetic towards everything regarding fighting because he's so powerful that he never even has to think twice about a single thing. After getting to the level he's at now, absolutely everything about fighting has been nothing to him so anything that gives him any sense of urgency, threat against his person (via destroying the planet) or need to end a fight is a humongous deal.

It's not something the series hugely dwells on, but Saitama's totally suffering from depression. He shows textbook signs of suffering from it from his interactions, behaviour, attitude towards villain hunting (I don't want a deadline, I have to sign up? I just thought I had to do it whenever) and hell, even how he dreams of something that could satisfy him. The "This is almost a real fight!" panel on the moon is there to contrast with him being dejected after Boros goes down from the first real punch he threw.

The fact he didn't put his all into the punch doesn't make it insignificant or such, it's the fact that he had to put something into it in the first place that does.
e:typo

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 22, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah the like five splash pages in a row showing every step of Saitama's stongest punch we've seen yet in excrutiating is totally not a dramatic moment at all. Those were totally pages Murata wanted you to just glance at for a half second before moving on. Instead of lingering on and appreciating. Definitely.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davinci posted:

Yeah the like five splash pages in a row showing every step of Saitama's stongest punch we've seen yet in excrutiating is totally not a dramatic moment at all. Those were totally pages Murata wanted you to just glance at for a half second before moving on. Instead of lingering on and appreciating. Definitely.

This but unironically.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

We need some avatar sized gifs from this episode so I can steal one

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Just rewatch the end of the OP if you want a long dramatic drawn out punch, it's pretty much the same scene.

Just imagine Saitama looking almost bored while doing it though I guess

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm still sad that the star faced dude wasn't a real monster

Not exactly the same, but the punches are very similar.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's only so many ways you can throw a straight punch

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terper posted:

There's only so many ways you can throw a straight punch

The cape flutter is different and he doesn't look as jacked as in the OP.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My only minor nitpick is that in the anime Boros told Saitama, "You were too strong" whereas in the manga he said, "You ARE too strong". I felt the latter just implied so much more, a mutual understanding of what it means to be too strong.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Berk Berkly posted:

One Punch Man... The Game - "This game is poo poo!"

I suspect every review would simply be something like "...OK."

Although a real OPM game where you played as Genos or something would kick rear end. Perhaps Saitama could be the super-broken unlockable character you get for NG+. Having said that though, the real anime game I'd want is Chihayafuru with Surgeon Simulator mechanics.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My only minor nitpick is that in the anime Boros told Saitama, "You were too strong" whereas in the manga he said, "You ARE too strong". I felt the latter just implied so much more, a mutual understanding of what it means to be too strong.

What got me was in the anime Boros just says "you still had strength to spare" or something like that, while in the manga he says "you were holding back". The holding back line is just so much more :allears: of Saitama's strength imo.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

He says the exact same line, "were", even in ONE's version. You're welcome to prefer a mistranslation but it feels like a weird thing to nitpick about.

edit: mistranslation is a strong word but you get the idea

tiistai fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 22, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Akett posted:

Not exactly the same, but the punches are very similar.

Boros is a man from the stars and the meteor thing was apparently a nasu with a ton of mouths in the OP.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Parrotine posted:

Who here knows the English lyrics for the One Punch man opening theme? I wanna get drunk as gently caress playing Smash Bros as Captain Falcon while bellowing out the words and my Google-Fu is weak :(

Here: http://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/lyrics/jam-project/the-hero-ikareru-kobushi-ni-hi-wo-tsukero/#page=English

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

tiistai posted:

He says the exact same line, "were", even in ONE's version. You're welcome to prefer a mistranslation but it feels like a weird thing to nitpick about.

edit: mistranslation is a strong word but you get the idea

Ah OK, I didn't know.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Saitama was only serious in the dream. He threw one move out of his serious series. What happens if he throws a one two?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Then two things die. Or one more stylishly.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Or two things die, then the earth dies.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kieyen posted:

Here's a Youtube link to a video comparing the anime and manga version of the fight between Saitama and Boros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWEv6KGyhI

Neat!

This is really cool and good. My sundays will feel empty without this show.

KoB
May 1, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

Saitama was only serious in the dream. He threw one move out of his serious series. What happens if he throws a one two?

You wont know the true power of the Series Series until you see Serious Walk and Serious Table Flip.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Saitama has been pulling off his Serious Stare for a long time now. It has the power to make enemies stop talking.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rewatched, and I think the shot of the crystal cracking really breaks up the momentum of the serious punch. It goes punch -> exterior of the ship -> city -> crystal -> clouds parting. I think the shattering crystal could be removed entirely and the clouds lingered on more to give it a better zoom out effect.

The punch itself being quick I like, but they should take more time to dwell aferwards. The crystal isn't emphasized as much in the anime as in the manga so it kind of comes out of the blue.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I don't have any complaints about the One Punch Man anime.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
My complaint is that there isn't more of it yet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd advise anyone who watched One-Punch Man and said to themselves "My only complaint with this is that there isn't more" to catch up on the manga by Murata, then steel themselves and take the plunge into ONE's original webcomic at their leisure.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd advise anyone who watched One-Punch Man and said to themselves "My only complaint with this is that there isn't more" to catch up on the manga by Murata, then steel themselves and take the plunge into ONE's original webcomic at their leisure.

WHAT IF I'VE ALREADY DONE THAT

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Then dream, friend.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Bad Seafood posted:

This is my plan.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Then you do as I do, and begin training.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murata expected his next chapter to be out on Christmas Eve so it'd probably translated for Christmas Day, giving you a reason to celebrate regardless of religion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

:negative: :smith:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

AnonSpore posted:

Do it all again! :getin:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

my only complaint is that i can't read mangs because im allergic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

100 pages of ONE, 100 pages of Murata, 100 minutes of the anime, and 10 drawings of your own a day!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Namtab posted:

my only complaint is that i can't read mangs because im allergic
I'm sorry you were born a failure.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm sorry you were born a failure.

I don't know how I could go on living if I suddenly developed a manga allergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murata will sneak into your house and redraw your DNA to allow you to read mangs again.

He would make you better looking too but you won't ever be as good looking as King or Metal Bat, sorry.

• Locked thread