Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Medullah posted:

Hmm something to consider those days I need to show available on IM but feel like napping....

Here's another good solution for that

https://movemouse.codeplex.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

chippy posted:

Wow, that one is even better because it can be run portable and doesn't need admin rights.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

chippy posted:

I understand that at this point you probably just want to get it working so that it hasn't beaten you, but out of interest what are you gaining by using the batch file? You can just install something like 7zip that has context menu integration and that will let you select and right click any number of folders for zipping.

The batch file is just invoking multiple copies of 7zip. If there's some way natively in 7zip to select 20 folders and easily convert them to 20 separate zip files, let me know.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

chippy posted:

Easier, but I could conceivably code an AHK script to keep my IM alive, and when I get a new IM respond with "Hmm, that's interesting. Let me look into that and I'll get back to you in an hour or so.". :D

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Toshimo posted:

The batch file is just invoking multiple copies of 7zip. If there's some way natively in 7zip to select 20 folders and easily convert them to 20 separate zip files, let me know.

Ahh I see. That's the bit I was missing - I thought they were all ending up in the same zip.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toshimo posted:

I now get the full context menu on 16+ files, but with 15 or fewer files selected, I get the proper functionality, and with 16+ files selected, only the exact file I choose is passed to the bat file, not any of the others.

Any suggestions?
Does the same thing happen if you drag and drop the files from explorer onto a shortcut to the batch file? I think that was my workaround at some point.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Despoiler posted:

This might sound like a bizarre request, but hear me out -

One of my favorite programs is AutoHotKey. I recently started work at a new company and was denied permission to install AHK on my machine because IT claimed it had bundled spyware and all their protection software considers it malicious. Additionally, they're wary of "free" programs because "nothing is free" and they would actually prefer that I find an alternative that they have to pay for! Is there any paid program out there that has AHK's feature set? Basically i just like to rebind unused keys to max/min windows, or do simple tasks like type XYZ, press enter, press 1, press enter.

Doesn't AHK run portably? http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=217

You can also write your script in a text editor and compile it as an executable.

Unless the whole thing is blocked by some overzealous anti-virus thing you have on your station.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is it really worth clean installing Windows 10? Also if I do that what is the best program to wipe my HDD? I guess I run something from a USB stick.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Red_Fred posted:

Is it really worth clean installing Windows 10? Also if I do that what is the best program to wipe my HDD? I guess I run something from a USB stick.

No. And you don't need to wipe your hard drive to do a clean install.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Red_Fred posted:

Pfft, I've updated from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and haven't had any issues nor did I lose any data.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Risket posted:

Why would they care if you used a tripod or a scanner?

The archive documents are all literally irreplaceable and there's stuff dating back to the 17th century. They really don't want you manhandling it too much. As for tripods, I believe they also want to promote use of their own professional scanning services for people who want to use things like old maps or drawings in their book or whatever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I had something odd happen with the network on 8.1 and trying to wrap my head around it.

I needed to unplug my modem & router this am. They were powered off for about 5 minutes and then turned on, so pretty much just a basic reset. Nothing was moved,. The powering off was due to something completely not related to the network. I'm running a Zyxel Dual-band router and a Trendnet dual band PCI wifi card.

Turned on my PC a few minutes later, and the Windows network browser could only see the 2.4 signal from the router, not the 5 (I have them named quite differently so I can tell them apart).

Reset the computer and the 5ghz signal was then visible, but the computer refused to connect to it saying there was a connection error. I was able to connect no problem to the 2.4 signal, so I did, got into my admin page for the router and turned off the 5Ghz radio. Then I, turned it back on, and same thing, the PC wouldn't hook up with it. So I made the Windows PC "forget" the connection, so I had to retype the password and everything, same thing, no hook up.

Went back into the admin options for the router, renamed the broadcast ID to something else (that's literally the only thing I changed just the name), saw it as an available wifi connection, and it hooked up fine.

:wtc: would cause that? I've been running the same network hardware for a year or so now with absolutely no issues whatsoever before.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

slidebite posted:

So I had something odd happen with the network on 8.1 and trying to wrap my head around it.

I needed to unplug my modem & router this am. They were powered off for about 5 minutes and then turned on, so pretty much just a basic reset. Nothing was moved,. The powering off was due to something completely not related to the network. I'm running a Zyxel Dual-band router and a Trendnet dual band PCI wifi card.

Turned on my PC a few minutes later, and the Windows network browser could only see the 2.4 signal from the router, not the 5 (I have them named quite differently so I can tell them apart).

Reset the computer and the 5ghz signal was then visible, but the computer refused to connect to it saying there was a connection error. I was able to connect no problem to the 2.4 signal, so I did, got into my admin page for the router and turned off the 5Ghz radio. Then I, turned it back on, and same thing, the PC wouldn't hook up with it. So I made the Windows PC "forget" the connection, so I had to retype the password and everything, same thing, no hook up.

Went back into the admin options for the router, renamed the broadcast ID to something else (that's literally the only thing I changed just the name), saw it as an available wifi connection, and it hooked up fine.

:wtc: would cause that? I've been running the same network hardware for a year or so now with absolutely no issues whatsoever before.

Upgrade the firmware on the router. This happened to me on a few ASUS routers that just didn't want to establish a 5 GHz wireless connection on a bunch of devices. Stopped happening after I moved to tomato and seems fixed with the OEM firmware in newer versions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There does seem to be a firmware update from the end of Sept. I'll try that out, thanks.

e: I was having issues with the PS3 disconnecting from the network too, it'll be interesting to see if that helps too.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 23, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see a specific Office products thread so here goes:

I'd like to have a macro parse a Word document for words in a specific format to be turned into a Quick Parts field.
ex: <client zip> changes into a "client_zip" field

I've never used macros before so I'd like to know if it's an easy thing to do before I start looking at docs and googling tech forums.

e: or which is the correct thread for this question ?

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
For those of you who are into spending money on software, XYplorer's lifetime license is on sale for $39.95. It's an explorer replacement with a stupid amount of features, but the things I regularly use are:

- Tabbed and dual-pane file view. If you do a lot of file management, keyboard shortcuts to copy/move selected files to the opposite pane is the software equivalent of adding an SSD to your PC, imho
- A side panel to dump everything you use regularly: file/folder shortcuts, quick filters, program links that you can drag-drop files onto, like so:

- File/folder tagging by color & keywords
- Batch rename, with regex support
- Type-ahead find for file/folder names
- Type "!" into the address bar to open a command prompt at that location. Type "!foo" to run that command.
- Doesn't look like a Windows XP-era abomination of bolted-on GUI components like other file managers

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I have an ASUS z97a with Realtek audio.

I reinstalled the realtek drivers, from Asus' site, and now there's no Realtek HD audio manager. I need this to enable simultaneous playback from two headphones. Audio works fine through the normal Windows config. Any ideas? I've found a number of people having this issue, but none recently, and with misc fixes that haven't worked for m e.

Edit: Fixed. Asus had bogus drivers on their site; the ones on Realtek's site fixed it; even had the asus logos on it.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 24, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I used to have a program that would modify the boot sector on a USB drive, so that if a computer tried to boot off it, it would just redirect to the hard drive to boot. Basically so that you could leave a particular drive attached without changing the bios boot order to try the hard drive first.

Does anyone know of such a program these days? I could really use it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So the built-in Windows 10 solitare app wants me to sign into an xbox live account. That's a bit too much :effort: to play solitare, is there a handy freeware version/the old XP version for download anywhere?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

So the built-in Windows 10 solitare app wants me to sign into an xbox live account. That's a bit too much :effort: to play solitare, is there a handy freeware version/the old XP version for download anywhere?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/replace-terrible-windows-7-games-classic-xp/

But I'd rather have Chip's Challenge...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh perfect, I'd thought about doing that. Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A new version of Chip's Challenge PC version, and the long-unreleased sequel Chip's Challenge 2, are on Steam since the rights got straightened out finally in the spring:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/346850/
That's the link for CC1 by itself for 99 cents during the sale, but you can buy it and CC2 together with a level editor for $2.50:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/64119/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

A new version of Chip's Challenge PC version, and the long-unreleased sequel Chip's Challenge 2, are on Steam since the rights got straightened out finally in the spring:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/346850/
That's the link for CC1 by itself for 99 cents during the sale, but you can buy it and CC2 together with a level editor for $2.50:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/64119/

:aaa: I had no idea they were working on this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JQF-c3ROSA

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's also mod packs out on the steam forums that will make the graphics and sounds and music the same as the original PC release, though since the rights aren't clear on that stuff they can't be sold directly with the game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've decided to ditch BitDefender in favor of Defender in Windows 10 (the drat thing kept crashing anyway). I'd like to throw some other exploit guard on top of it. I thought Malwarebytes was the only free option I had but someone mentioned Microsoft EMET in another thread. Some places say Malwarebytes performs better than EMET but is that another case of them skewing results with non-realworld faux "viruses"?

I'd like to stick with the Microsoft solutions because they're pretty good at not being intrusive/annoying.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If I want to party like it's 1999 and use AIM is Pidgin still the way to go? I imagine the desktop IM client scene is as popping as the email one.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Milkman posted:

If I want to party like it's 1999 and use AIM is Pidgin still the way to go? I imagine the desktop IM client scene is as popping as the email one.
Pidgin's basically it as far as unofficial clients go. I guess Miranda and stuff are still around, but why?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Vulture Culture posted:

Pidgin's basically it as far as unofficial clients go. I guess Miranda and stuff are still around, but why?

Any good Pidgin alternative that doesn't peg the CPU constantly?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently switched from Trillian to Pidgin and haven't had any CPU problems with either program.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hooah posted:

I recently switched from Trillian to Pidgin and haven't had any CPU problems with either program.

Haha I still have my old Trillian install and every once in a while I'll read through the logs of chat just to feel intense shame at my horrific attempts at flirting with girls who had zero interest in me. Good times.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Medullah posted:

Haha I still have my old Trillian install and every once in a while I'll read through the logs of chat just to feel intense shame at my horrific attempts at flirting with girls who had zero interest in me. Good times.

:smith::hf::smith:

Except a lot of my logs were from Digsby.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is CrystalDiskMark still the go to for disk/error checking?

We have 10 drives pulled from a storage system that need to be checked for errors, etc before repurposing. Thanks!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a Windows 8.1 laptop with a broken battery. My plan is to replace the battery and do a clean install to Windows 10 at the same time.

What's the best way to back up everything I have into an external hard drive?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

BonoMan posted:

We have 10 drives pulled from a storage system that need to be checked for errors, etc before repurposing. Thanks!

Speedfan is another option since it reads smart info and you can run smart tests (short and long) with it. I just stick with CDI myself, but it is always good to have options!

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

BonoMan posted:

Still pretty much the go to yeah, although I've had issues with it telling me drives were perfectly fine when they were clearly dead/dying.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Vegetable posted:

I have a Windows 8.1 laptop with a broken battery. My plan is to replace the battery and do a clean install to Windows 10 at the same time.

What's the best way to back up everything I have into an external hard drive?

Why not just replace the battery, transfer the files in 8.1, and then install 10?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Why not just replace the battery, transfer the files in 8.1, and then install 10?
I should have been clearer. The laptop still works with AC power, so I can still back things up before doing the risky business of replacing batteries and installing OSes. Just looking for a software to help me with backing up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vegetable posted:

I should have been clearer. The laptop still works with AC power, so I can still back things up before doing the risky business of replacing batteries and installing OSes. Just looking for a software to help me with backing up.

The simplest thing is to just use the Backup And Restore menu from the control panel, just like in Windows 7. However I don't see why you think replacing the battery is risky, or why you want to do a clean install if you want to keep your stuff in backup anyway? Just do an upgrade install, you aren't gaining anything by doing a clean install.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
More of a web services question, but here we go:

I have a web domain with an associated email (@myname.com), managed in cPanel, that gets pulled into my Gmail account by checking POP3. Because email from the @myname.com email is work-related, I would like it it only forward on weekdays, but not weekends. Is there a way in cPanel or Gmail (perhaps a Labs feature?) to make the @myname.com emails only forward at specific times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I doubt there's a program like this, but gently caress it, I'll ask:

I'm playing a low-effort tablet game that I shouldn't sperg out about, but sperg out I will. Each item in the game is improved by having 4-6 other items near it. Is there any program where I could input these connections (A B and Cs should be next to Ds, X Y and Zs) and it'll spit out some optimized placement chart? I'm not good at these sorts of logic puzzles (as evidently by the screw-ups I made in the below mockup)

I'm not entirely sure if I'm making sense, so I made a stupid mock-up of something I'm looking for: