Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
1/4, 2, 3 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Season 1 was nearly perfect with Open/Pass and the finale.

Season 4 would have overtaken if either Kyunghoon had won, or there were some individual games, or if somebody had actually attempted to battle Dongmin instead of just trusting him while he rides cleanly to victory.

Season 3 was pretty lackluster but worth it for MENTALITY KING and that's basically it.

Season 2 was a wet fart I barely remember that nearly got the show cancelled entirely where everybody trusted Sangmin and nobody trusted Doohee.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I re-watched season 1 and I like it but they had a lot of kinks to work out with their games. The original rock paper scissors game was brutally unfair.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Except Jinho / Junseok had the winning strategy and then ditched it.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

1,4,3,2 is probably my order, although I feel like if I watched 2 again I might rate it higher. There are some real lows in that season, but also some real good highs as well. That dice rolling main match might be Sangmin's open/pass moment.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Maduo posted:

1,4,3,2 is probably my order, although I feel like if I watched 2 again I might rate it higher. There are some real lows in that season, but also some real good highs as well. That dice rolling main match might be Sangmin's open/pass moment.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Season 1 was nearly perfect with Open/Pass and the finale.

Season 4 would have overtaken if either Kyunghoon had won, or there were some individual games, or if somebody had actually attempted to battle Dongmin instead of just trusting him while he rides cleanly to victory.

Season 3 was pretty lackluster but worth it for MENTALITY KING and that's basically it.

Season 2 was a wet fart I barely remember that nearly got the show cancelled entirely where everybody trusted Sangmin and nobody trusted Doohee.

These people get it. Although the thing is, there isn't any 'bad' The Genius to me. (Dohee incident comes close, but still its pretty compelling)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Manic X posted:

Just started watching Season 3; which do people regard as the best season? I just want to know whether it gets even better, or whether the best os behind me.

I'd go with 4,1,3,2 but 4 and 1 are both excellent seasons and I only really put 4 in the top placement because season 1 still had some kinks to work out with its games and death matches early on while Season 4, they'd had plenty of time to figure that poo poo out and the format had gotten pretty refined at that point and I ended up leaving that season feeling like there were no dud episodes, all smashing and had exciting, memorable moments. Season 1 had a couple of wet fart games but the cast was incredible and the atmosphere far more light-hearted and enjoyable compared to some of the later seasons. 3 and 2 are enjoyable but both have their fair share of wet fart episodes but I think 3 had a stronger, more enjoyable cast and wasn't bogged down by 2's weird metagame which served to make some of the episodes and games a lot less dynamic than they would otherwise be.

they're all still pretty enjoyable for sure because Genius is a really quality show but I tend to lean to the popular consensus that S2 is the weakest for sure. Then we all argue over whether 1 or 4 was greatest but everyone seems pretty sure that S3 is among bottom two at least.

If you haven't gotten to Season 4 yet you're in for a real treat, seriously. Enjoy that poo poo it's a absolutely fabulous conclusive season.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Tier 1

Season 1

Tier 2

Season 4

Tier 3

Season 3

Tier 4

Tier 5

Season 2

Season 2 was a tier below the second worst season

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Maduo posted:

Watching that dice rolling game pissed me off so much because I figured out what the trick was going to be immediately and I spent the whole episode waiting for someone else to find out about it.

Then they revealed how quickly Sangmin figured it out and I love him even ten times as much.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hate that Dongmin's utter domination made the last two seasons so much less compelling to me, but they did. It's hard for me to rank them, so, here:

1 - I would rank this first. The mechanics aren't are balanced as later on since they're still figuring things out, but the virginal feel of the format kept the game completely fresh. Nothing was clear-cut, and there were surprises almost every week.

2 - Hot garbage, except for episode 1. Even more than the cast alternating between boring and terrible, the season as a whole was broken even before Jiwon ruined everything in his path.

3 - At least they learned something from season 2! But the black garnets were a waste of time. But, great cast and good games.

4 - It was almost impossible for them to fail on this one. It's another negative that seems like it should be a positive, but having such a strong cast made the...um, miscasts...really, really infuriating. It felt like there were some missed opportunities (okay no seriously, does anybody in this thread think that Jungmoon should have been in there over Ahyoung? Because Ahyoung rules and Jungmoon is why we can't have nice things).

tl;dr Watch seasons 1, 3, and 4 in order. Go back to season 2 if you're seriously that hard up (or if you jizz your pants every time Sangmin comes on screen, I guess).

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I can't believe the hate on season 2. The token of immortality stuff was great. Especially Sangmin totally loving over yohwan and then using it to save him anyway.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Except Jinho / Junseok had the winning strategy and then ditched it.

I think he's talking about Tactical RPS, which is probably the worst deathmatch game in the series.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

S1 was just lightning in a bottle that can't be recaptured with people that know how the format works. S1E11 and S1E10 are the two best episodes in the series. Finale absolutely sucked though.

S4 has the highest level of play and most emotional investment in the players. S4E3 is the third best episode in the series. Some of the main match design was garbo tho.

S2 has the most charming domination I've ever seen anyone perform, but more than half the cast is completely nonconsequential.

S3 was still good but the game design goes to absolute poo poo. I hope someone got fired for Constellation Game in particular.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Propaganda Machine posted:

4 - It was almost impossible for them to fail on this one. It's another negative that seems like it should be a positive, but having such a strong cast made the...um, miscasts...really, really infuriating. It felt like there were some missed opportunities (okay no seriously, does anybody in this thread think that Jungmoon should have been in there over Ahyoung? Because Ahyoung rules and Jungmoon is why we can't have nice things).

Ahyoung does indeed rule and Jungmoon is lame and bad, but if Ahyoung was on, the season balance would have been off: Hyumnin, Dongmin, Yeonseung, Yoohyun, Ahyoung, Kyunghoon make 6/13.
Seasons 1/2 benefit a bit by double dipping on Jinho/Sangmin, but the Season 1 exclusives there would be only Kyungran/Junseok.

If you're casting a woman from Season 1 that isn't Kyungran, you're left with one of Eunji/Jungmoon. Season 1's cast was charming and amazing, but not exactly All-Star material, especially if Sunggyu/Gura are too busy doing other things.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

archduke.iago posted:

Ahyoung does indeed rule and Jungmoon is lame and bad, but if Ahyoung was on, the season balance would have been off: Hyumnin, Dongmin, Yeonseung, Yoohyun, Ahyoung, Kyunghoon make 6/13.
Seasons 1/2 benefit a bit by double dipping on Jinho/Sangmin, but the Season 1 exclusives there would be only Kyungran/Junseok.

If you're casting a woman from Season 1 that isn't Kyungran, you're left with one of Eunji/Jungmoon. Season 1's cast was charming and amazing, but not exactly All-Star material, especially if Sunggyu/Gura are too busy doing other things.

Eunji > Jungmoon all day every day.

And I'm not so sure that alliances would have broken down across seasons like that. Call me crazy, but I think legitimate competitors on a show called The Genius might look past that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I can't believe the hate on season 2. The token of immortality stuff was great. Especially Sangmin totally loving over yohwan and then using it to save him anyway.

That was my overall favorite moment of the whole show

Propaganda Machine posted:

(or if you jizz your pants every time Sangmin comes on screen, I guess).

How can you not :swoon:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Too many of the games were outside of the players control on who won, especially the late games where it seemed like all the guests and returning players just wanted to make Sangmin win. Sangmins dice thing was no where near as cool as Jinhos open pass moment but it seemed like the show wanted to seem like it was open pass v2.0 and it just wasn't. Nothing against Sangmin, but most of the season felt like it was just an excuse to make Sangmin win the genius.

Additionally Yowhan basically ruined most of the games, and floated to the end as a goat in a game that shouldn't have goats. The Dohee card thing was pretty ridiculous as well. I don't even care that he felt bullied or picked on and broke down like a little cry baby, the fact that players were allowed to pick up his card and make him lose should never have allowed to happen in the first place, it is so outside of what the game was supposed to be. Season 2 just felt like it was trying to recreate season 1 and fell completely flat, which is a shame because a lot of the games in season 2 had a lot of potential.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I think sangmin was more interesting in season 4 than season 2 as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Season 2 felt like all the participants watched Season 1 and all of them wanted to be Gura.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

NeuroticLich posted:

I think he's talking about Tactical RPS, which is probably the worst deathmatch game in the series.

Which is ironic because Tactical Yutnori is the best deathmatch game in the series.

~Mo~

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JakeP posted:

I think sangmin was more interesting in season 4 than season 2 as well.

:agreed:

I was never a Sangmin fan and I groaned when they brought him back, but I was really sad at his elimination. But, he made Titty God!

So many character arcs came full circle in Season 4, it's satisfying on that basis alone. It's hard to rank these!

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Wow, my question inspired quite the debate. It's exciting to know then that people regard S4 so highly. S1 and 2 were mainly enjoyable for me, but I'm on EP 3 for S3 now, and this is the first time I'm struggling to remember the names of the Cast since they are quite forgettable. Hoping it will pick up a little.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Tactical RPS was especially bad because the whole cast got together and decided who to eliminate, then the person being eliminated just decided to take it.

Just imagine if one of the people saw the betrayal coming and threw a different symbol than they said they would. It was designed with a cool moment in mind but season 1 was the cordial season so nobody even came to play like that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tactical Yut Nori is definitely a good game that makes for absolutely atrocious television because of how long it tends to go.

Spoilers for the dude just going through it except for the time it showed up in season 4, and that was because it was short enough where they could actually give you the entire arc of the game. That win really solidified Dongmin as a tremendous force to be reckoned with. I know a lot of people just rolled over for him, but he was really on top of his game.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Season 2 and 3 were meh for me, since I got bored watching obvious winners win. It was the same story every episode: 80% of the cast approach sangmin/dongmin and beg him to tell them what to do in the game. Somehow, he turns that situation into a win. Masterful!

Season 4 was really spectacular because we got to see both of them in situations that actually challenged (and proved) their ability. The social game's more interesting when there's more than one or two people in the game willing and able to do real scheming against the default alliance. I really started to like Dongmin throughout the Grand Final season, when in his original season I was rooting against him simply for the sake of interest and underdogs.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't think it was obvious Dongmin was going to win season 3. The finale was intense, the way he turned around the arithmetic memory game against Hyunmin was amazing.

Season 4 Dongmin was a completely different beast though, dude studied every game (Jinho's yutnori, Hyunmin's shogi) and the absolute dongmination overshadows the fact that in season 3 he was kind of an underdog.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't think it was obvious Dongmin was going to win season 3. The finale was intense, the way he turned around the arithmetic memory game against Hyunmin was amazing.

Season 4 Dongmin was a completely different beast though, dude studied every game (Jinho's yutnori, Hyunmin's shogi) and the absolute dongmination overshadows the fact that in season 3 he was kind of an underdog.

I didn't think it was obvious he's win the entire season, since you can't really predict something that big with any sort of certainty. But episode-by-episode, he was the obvious big power player, which meant lots of players constantly deferred to him, which made each game a matter of "can Dongmin, controlling 55% of everyone's moves, secure a win despite the chaos inherent in the system and a couple people trying to throw him off?". It was similar in season 2 with Sangmin. And that sort of dynamic just wasn't as interesting for me to watch as was Season 1 and 4, where there were more people being more proactive in a wider variety of ways.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 20, 2015

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
In season 3 it became pretty apparent who the final 2 would be but it really almost didn't happen that way except for a really huge mistake by another player. It really was never a gaurentee

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Season 3 was great not because of who won, but because of the road the two took to get there. I really liked Hyunmin and Dongmin's arcs leading into the finale, and that made season 3 for me. The one major downside of season 3 was the staff arbitrarily removing the black garnet mechanic.

Season 2 was bad because Sangmin own the game nearly the whole way through and about halfway through the only people left were Sangmin and a bunch of idiots. I actually didn't finish the season and just assumed he would win.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

ViggyNash posted:

Season 3 was great not because of who won, but because of the road the two took to get there. I really liked Hyunmin and Dongmin's arcs leading into the finale, and that made season 3 for me. The one major downside of season 3 was the staff arbitrarily removing the black garnet mechanic.

Wasn't it only removed when there were three people left and the black garnets couldn't do anything?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
The black garnets were more of an 'if'. Since I think in Season 2, if I remember correctly, one of the contenders went to the deathmatch four times and won.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Istvun posted:

Wasn't it only removed when there were three people left and the black garnets couldn't do anything?

Yea, except team Min was planning to make use of them right before they were removed. And it wasnt a great mechanic to begin with.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

http://kpopkfans.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/the-genius-player-kim-kyung-hoons.html

Tittygod being Tittygod

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
And you people wanted him to beat Dongmin :colbert:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I didn't. :colbert:

He apparently is somehow the exact same irl as he was on TV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

finally you all understand my hate

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shittygod

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Josh Lyman posted:

finally you all understand my hate

He's a good game show character!

Gotta separate the, uh, artist from the, er, art?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Watch how he somehow turns this around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I liked him because he turned around from being Dr. Shitheel and improved and did well. I don't like him anymore if he's still Dr. Shitheel.