Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Asuka at least did to seem to age mentally. She's still a hothead but a lot more controlled. She does have some pent up anger issues about being a 30 year old trapped in a 14 year olds body, and also the whole Shinji Broke The Whole Dang World thing.

Seemed to be a little bit of a return to some of the elements of Gunbuster. 3.0 is in a lot of ways the Hideaki Anno Career Retrospective Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Oh man, now I want to see Gunbuster return to Earth at the end of 3.0 + 1.0.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Even Liliths demise is a little reminiscent of the God Warrior.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Leroy Dennui posted:

Oh man, now I want to see Gunbuster return to Earth at the end of 3.0 + 1.0.

This movie exists already and is 3.0, just with EVA-01 being substituted for the GunBuster, and Shinji being substituted for Noriko.

The twist of course is that the future welcomed Noriko back in her show. The future did not welcome Shinji.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Panzeh posted:

I think they were complete cowards for refusing to age up the characters in 3.0 for the timeskip. It's just one of those Japanese things, though.

This is the same group behind Gurren Lagann, right? Somehow I don't think that's the case!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is the same group behind Gurren Lagann, right? Somehow I don't think that's the case!

Not really. I mean I would not be surprised if they share some staff but TTGL was Imaishi's project under Gainax, and the Rebuild movies were Anno's project under Studio Khara.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I know we've talked abut this before, as I brought it up before, but I'm curious about something again.

What exactly is Gendo's and Fuyutsuki's relationship? Because I actually thought Fuyutsuki was one of the more interesting characters in the anime but I had never heard a thing about him before starting NGE a couple years back.

I mean, he's always at Gendo's side and comes off like his right-hand man. But we later learn Fuyutsuki was probably in love with Yui and resented Gendo. He also kinda got forced into this whole mad project. Also he knows the truth about Yui and EVA-01. Gendo never knew it was intentional, right?

I hear people say they have this seething animosity for each other but I just never got that impression at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So I know we've talked abut this before, as I brought it up before, but I'm curious about something again.

What exactly is Gendo's and Fuyutsuki's relationship? Because I actually thought Fuyutsuki was one of the more interesting characters in the anime but I had never heard a thing about him before starting NGE a couple years back.

I mean, he's always at Gendo's side and comes off like his right-hand man. But we later learn Fuyutsuki was probably in love with Yui and resented Gendo. He also kinda got forced into this whole mad project. Also he knows the truth about Yui and EVA-01. Gendo never knew it was intentional, right?

I hear people say they have this seething animosity for each other but I just never got that impression at all.

They both loved Yui and are basically bound together by that. He was forced into working with Gendo and kept at it because of Yui. There's no clear answer on their relationship beyond that but it's pretty unlikely Fuyutsuki really likes Gendo.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

They have a perfect working relationship because they're basically the only people either of them can genuinely trust, but there's no real love between them. They're both just dutifully carrying out the wishes of their dead mad scientist waifu. They both know where all the bodies are buried so anything bad that would happen to one would happen to the other, so they're stuck with each other and having a grudging respect.

It's worth noting that Gendo looked up to Fuyutski in school, in his own strange way. Gendo probably likes Fuyutski more than he liked Gendo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish we could have had more moments from the Akagis, Yui, or any of the older staff about "holy gently caress what branch of science are we creating here?" Crazy rear end three wise men supercomputers, biomechanical mechagods, LCL, it's all crazy.

I know they had to move the plot along, but in retrospect it'd have been nice to see even one tiny moment of "gently caress yeah, science!" Then again, I wonder if Yui was having one of those moments during the first test.:smith:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of scenes where everybody, including ritsuko, is terrified by the evangelion in its "true form", going berserk. The first episode, the dirac sea angel, dummy plug takeover, the angel that unit 01 ends up eating. Misato says a lot of things about "using what destroyed us to save us", as well as other characters like kaworu. Pretty much everyone is very uncomfortable with the evangelions.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want someone to be like Kensuke without actually BEING Kensuke. Is that too much to ask?

E: Keisuke is not Kensuke

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 29, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think, in evangelion, it might be. : [

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Science is evil in Evangelion. It's nothing worth getting excited over and the science we use to "defend" ourselves will lead us all to doom.

Edit: at least NERV'S science.

A "gently caress yeah evil science" show exists and is Rick and Morty.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Science in Evangelion isn't evil, it's just traumatic, because it's both literally and metaphorically about an encounter with the unknown.

Kensuke is a military tech nerd. He fetishizes instruments of destruction, power for power's sake. It's true that he gets a rude awakening and goes from being fascinated by the Evangelions to being horrified of them, but it's only an intermediate step -- he has to mature enough to understand the toll piloting takes on Shinji before he can appreciate being protected more than he appreciates the brute application of force. He encountered the unknown and almost died, but becomes a better person through the experience.

If you want a "gently caress yeah science" moment in Evangelion, consider the scene where they explain the shield Rei uses to defend Shinji against Ramiel or the episode where Ritsuko saves NERV HQ by a combination of expert knowledge and coming to terms with her dead mother.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I personally think the adult characters are tons more interesting than the central teenage cast. I wish they got more time invested in their personal stories.

On the other side of the spectrum, I've always thought the Evangelion setting would make for a great workplace comedy, like The Office.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kensuke is a military tech nerd. He fetishizes instruments of destruction, power for power's sake. It's true that he gets a rude awakening and goes from being fascinating by the Evangelions to being horrified of them, but it's only an intermediate step -- he has to mature enough to understand the toll piloting takes on Shinji before he can appreciate being protected more than he appreciates the brute application of force. He encountered the unknown and almost died, but becomes a better person through the experience.

Isn't he still super into the Evas, and even says something about wanting to become a pilot in the episode before Touji is chosen? Not better at all. But that's what becoming a better person's like.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

House Louse posted:

Isn't he still super into the Evas, and even says something about wanting to become a pilot in the episode before Touji is chosen? Not better at all. But that's what becoming a better person's like.

Yeah I got the timeline screwed up there, the stuff with Asuka's introduction is after that, too, and he's all over the aircraft carrier in that episode.

Still, I feel like there's a shift in his characterization over time from just naive envy to wanting to do his part; I should probably get around to a rewatch so I can find out if there's anything to back the feeling up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah I got the timeline screwed up there, the stuff with Asuka's introduction is after that, too, and he's all over the aircraft carrier in that episode.

Still, I feel like there's a shift in his characterization over time from just naive envy to wanting to do his part; I should probably get around to a rewatch so I can find out if there's anything to back the feeling up.

The Eva simul just kicked off yesterday, so there's a lot of people going to be discussing all of this again soon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just wanna sit and listen to Tuxedo Catfish talk about evangelion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tomorrow is the date of Third Impact. Prepare accordingly all.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
In episode 21 when fuyutski is remembering his past and stuff there's a part where he's taking the train down into the geofront with gendo and he says "we're going pretty deep" and gendo says (in the dub) "getting worried, montresor?". I liked that cause it was cool, but when I watched the subs recently I saw that it wasn't there. I don't speak Japanese so I don't know if the reference is still there and the subs just don't put it in or if it's an addition made by the dubs.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Tomorrow is the date of Third Impact. Prepare accordingly all.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

December 30, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Giant crosses, lots of tang, a giant white chick and now a bunch of blue haired japanese girls are talking in unison.

Looks like its time to become instrumental. (Pop).

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Happy 3rd Impact, everybody!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leroy Dennui posted:

Happy 3rd Impact, everybody!

(What is he talking about? We are all one. Trump will be President.)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I survived the 3rd impact and all I got was a new tie.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

*CHIIRRP *CHIIIRRRRRP* *CHIIIRP* *CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRP*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfypO5frhm4

this track reminds me of EoE

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

check out /a/

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Davincie posted:

check out /a/

Holy poo poo :laffo::laffo::laffo:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

check out /a/

Worth visiting 4chan for.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's beautiful

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

/a/ has the epic eva theme with embedded music and sleek animations, meanwhile the the anime forum people pay to post on has been waiting for a simple chihayfuru css for almost a full year!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember thinking "wow 2015, that's kind of the future but not really" and now 2015 is the past. Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

.jpg posted:

/a/ has the epic eva theme with embedded music and sleek animations, meanwhile the the anime forum people pay to post on has been waiting for a simple chihayfuru css for almost a full year!

It's not working for me.