Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey, wait a second. If the central conceit of Gundam is that Minovsky particles make wireless communication (and radar etc) useless, then why do some suits have antennae on them?

they dont make them useless, they just jam them up. Signals still get through. Watch gundam thunderbolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

mango sentinel posted:

Now I think I'm gonna work my way through all the goofy looking Zeon dudes in the HGUC line. Like I said I already ordered a Z'gok-E. Wanna work my way through Quebely, Hygogg, Acguy, maybe cap it with a Gouf. Can anyone comment on if any of those are particularly good or bad kits?

I think you mean paint it with a starfield and badass Wizard-on-a-Pegasus mural.

Z'gok E and Hygogg are a bit old so keep that in mind.

For the Qubeley and Gouf, make sure you get the Revive Qubeley and either the R35 Gouf or Gouf Custom! The original Qubeley and Gouf are outdated bricks, and the Qubeley Revive is brand new and has much better colour separtion as opposed to relying on stickers. You'll be very disappointed with the articulation of the old Gouf compared to the more modern versions.

Here's the Revive without stickers next to the original Qubeley, other than the eyes. The sticker sheet is tiny compared to the original.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I sent a friend of mine the new Ebikawa artbook that came out. He's pretty fluent with japanese so he read through it and shared some interesting notes with me:

1. The Build mkII was initially designed as an enemy machine, hence the Titans color scheme. This actually was referenced in the official setting in Sei's big fanfiction background.

2. The Dark Matter was thought up of shortly after the series began. The initial draft was rejected, but would go on to become Amazing Exia.

3. The Fenice had three possible color schemes: "Opposite of Wing", "colored like Italy's soccer team", and "colored like the Italian flag". Ebikawa left it up to the editor to choose, and well you know what he picked.

4. The original design for Exia was extremely humanoid. If you remember the RG 00R roundtable discussion, where Ebikawa talked about how he was surprised people thought the Exia looked so different since he thought it looked very traditional, his viewpoint makes way more sense when you look where he started.

5. The Exia was designed to float in the air, but it wasn't until the Metal Build that an Exia figure could actually bend its toes down.

6. Ebikawa designed a new weapon for MB Exia that had the two GN Swords combined inside of it. It was rejected.

7. Ebikawa also proposed changing the Dash parts on the Avalanche to be able to open up and form claws. That was accepted.

The AGE Gundams were always supposed to be based off the original UC Gundams (except the last, which was Exia), but they were a lot more stylized. It was also supposed to go Gundam > Gundam mk-II > Zeta > ZZ with no Nu, but that plan changed somewhere and we got the abomination that is FX.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Fauxtool posted:

they dont make them useless, they just jam them up. Signals still get through. Watch gundam thunderbolt

Is Thunderbolt cool for someone who normally finds Gundam's melodrama to be irritating?

I always thought that the Minovsky Effect thing was the series' justification for Mobile Suits in general. Like, it makes a little more sense to have giant vehicles with hard-wired cameras and close-combat weapons if you have to be in visual range of the enemy to engage them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I always thought that the Minovsky Effect thing was the series' justification for Mobile Suits in general. Like, it makes a little more sense to have giant vehicles with hard-wired cameras and close-combat weapons if you have to be in visual range of the enemy to engage them.

It is

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is Thunderbolt cool for someone who normally finds Gundam's melodrama to be irritating?

Thunderbolt's anime is extremely condensed and provides the bare minimum of plot and characterisation inbetween mobile suit scenes. It's sparse and it's pretty simple so it's probably fine.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also, I don't want to come off like an rear end in a top hat, but I think it would be better to take questions about the gundam fiction to the gundam thread.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

Also, I don't want to come off like an rear end in a top hat, but I think it would be better to take questions about the gundam fiction to the gundam thread.

its too late!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reds posted:

For the Qubeley and Gouf, make sure you get the Revive Qubeley and either the R35 Gouf or Gouf Custom! The original Qubeley and Gouf are outdated bricks, and the Qubeley Revive is brand new and has much better colour separtion as opposed to relying on stickers. You'll be very disappointed with the articulation of the old Gouf compared to the more modern versions.

Here's the Revive without stickers next to the original Qubeley, other than the eyes. The sticker sheet is tiny compared to the original.

Thanks for the input! I'm not worried about the Z'gok since he's a real simple looking dude I imagine they can't mess up that much. I may hold off on the Hygoogg though. That Build Fighters Gouf looks amazing and seems the way to go. I really like the articulated eye and the sabers. Related, do they make generic accessory packs to go with these? It would be cool if I could give that Gouf a Heat Hawk, bazooka, or machine gun.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

mango sentinel posted:

Thanks for the input! I'm not worried about the Z'gok since he's a real simple looking dude I imagine they can't mess up that much. I may hold off on the Hygoogg though. That Build Fighters Gouf looks amazing and seems the way to go. I really like the articulated eye and the sabers. Related, do they make generic accessory packs to go with these? It would be cool if I could give that Gouf a Heat Hawk, bazooka, or machine gun.

They do make weapon accessory packs, but I can't think of any with Zeonic weapon loadouts. You could look through the Build Fighters backpack and weapon packs for something you might like, or the IBO option packs.

If you want a lot of spare weapons, I recommend buying the Psycho Zaku 2, which comes with a metric fuckload of weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

Thunderbolt's anime is extremely condensed and provides the bare minimum of plot and characterisation inbetween mobile suit scenes. It's sparse and it's pretty simple so it's probably fine.

It's more accurate to say that the first episode hasn't got to the point where it has to cut stuff out yet. The first episode stops where a good chunk of the characterisation stuff starts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mango sentinel posted:

You'll want to look into the System Weapon sets. Number 2 has a heat hawk and a beam rifle. Number 9 has 2 different bazookas in it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i can't wait to get my yanase and ebikawa books.

also everyone should buy hguc gaplant it's astoundingly good for 2003.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Reds posted:

I built the old HGUC Qubeley last year and it does not show its age well. 100% get the newer one every time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mango sentinel posted:

You want the System Weapon packs (Specifically for the three weapons you want; 001, 002, and 006). They're a little pricey, but they're RG-quality weapons with a bunch of customizable parts. There's also the Build Custom line (HGBC), which is entirely HG accessory backpacks and weapons that are compatible with anything from the newer main-line standardized kits (the Wing Gundam onwards) as well as the Build Fighters line itself.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

< a great post>

The AGE Gundams were always supposed to be based off the original UC Gundams (except the last, which was Exia), but they were a lot more stylized. It was also supposed to go Gundam > Gundam mk-II > Zeta > ZZ with no Nu, but that plan changed somewhere and we got the abomination that is FX.

I still think that original design for the Age3 is amazing, that is how you do a beefy as gently caress MS in that style.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 6, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

I still think that original design for the Age3 is amazing, that is how you do a beefy as gently caress MS in that style.

...Age 3? That's hardly beefy at all.

Age 4 though, goddamn, I like that. I also really like that white prototype exia with the ribbons everywhere. :swoon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of that Exia, it was submitted as part of a design competition for the main lead of Gundam 00.

These were the other possible picks:

All of these but the one not colored got into 00 in some form. Can you guess what they are?

From top-to-bottom, left-to-right:

1. Gundam Thrones
2. Gundam Rasiel
3. Gundam Exia
4. Unused
5. Flag
6. Tieren

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

BlitzBlast posted:

Speaking of that Exia, it was submitted as part of a design competition for the main lead of Gundam 00.

All of these but the one not colored got into 00 in some form. Can you guess what they are?

1. Gundam Thrones
2. Gundam Rasiel
3. Gundam Exia
4. Unused
5. Flag
6. Tieren

Personally I think I would have preferred any of those besides the uncoloured one to get in over the final Exia. I find most of 00's Gundams really boring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

1. Gundam Thrones
2. Gundam Rasiel
3. Gundam Exia
4. Unused
5. Flag
6. Tieren

Reds posted:

Personally I think I would have preferred any of those besides the uncoloured one to get in over the final Exia. I find most of 00's Gundams really boring.

I liked the Celestial Being machines and the first-season Earth factional ones, but the Trinity Gundams just looked far too thin and fragile. No.1 on that list looks much better than what the show actually got from the design.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

This is a 1/100 HG and not a mistyped item, right? http://smile.amazon.com/Gundam-Iron...aze+kai+1%2F100

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is a 1/100 HG and not a mistyped item, right? http://smile.amazon.com/Gundam-Iron...aze+kai+1%2F100

Yup

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Should be, 1/100 Grazes are out. They couldn't be bothered to paste the right item description in, so YMMV there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of 1/100 IBO, at long last AmiAmi posted a price for the High Resolution Barbatos: 15,500 yen.

And that's 10% off, so the real price is around 17,000 yen.

EDIT: The listed price is 16k yen. That's not 10% off, AmiAmi. <:mad:>

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 7, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, the 1/100 IBO kits are their own line because they're all standardized parts and frames so you can chop-and-change freely.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You want the System Weapon packs (Specifically for the three weapons you want; 001, 002, and 006). They're a little pricey, but they're RG-quality weapons with a bunch of customizable parts. There's also the Build Custom line (HGBC), which is entirely HG accessory backpacks and weapons that are compatible with anything from the newer main-line standardized kits (the Wing Gundam onwards) as well as the Build Fighters line itself.
Thanks for the heads up. Those are like $18 each though and even if they're RG quality, for that much I'd rather just buy a Zaku kit and steal the accessories.

Is it crazy to get both the Gouf Custom and the BF Gouf because they each look good in different ways? Repeatedly buying kits of the same model is normal behavior, right?

Also I showed my wife Agguguy last night and she said if I bought one she'd throw it to the pets to destroy.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

Speaking of 1/100 IBO, at long last AmiAmi posted a price for the High Resolution Barbatos: 15,500 yen.

And that's 10% off, so the real price is around 17,000 yen.

EDIT: The listed price is 16k yen. That's not 10% off, AmiAmi. <:mad:>

What is high resolution?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Is it crazy to get both the Gouf Custom and the BF Gouf because they each look good in different ways? Repeatedly buying kits of the same model is normal behavior, right?

Nah, that's fine. They're different kits, all good.

It's buying upwards of three of the exact same kit that's crazy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mango sentinel posted:

Also I showed my wife Agguguy last night and she said if I bought one she'd throw it to the pets to destroy.

:sever:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

your wife has good taste.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

What is high resolution?

The new line revealed last expo. It's a pre-assembled inner frame with metallic parts and all of the runners are in metallic paints. It's very stylized, and is basically a Metal Build - RG hybrid.

Who knows who Bandai is selling it to with that price though.

Also HR Barbatos doesn't come with the mace thing so I have literally zero interest.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

The new line revealed last expo. It's a pre-assembled inner frame with metallic parts and all of the runners are in metallic paints. It's very stylized, and is basically a Metal Build - RG hybrid.

Also HR Barbatos doesn't come with the mace thing so I have literally zero interest.

so its frame arms but bandai.

Is the inner frame metal jointed at least at that price?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

They're also coming out with Gundam Expand this month, so that's a couple weird new product lines I don't expect to last very long

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

They're also coming out with Gundam Expand this month, so that's a couple weird new product lines I don't expect to last very long

I should buy some of them, keep them in storage, then sell them like 7-10 years afte the line flops for some mad cash.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

closeted republican posted:

I should buy some of them, keep them in storage, then sell them like 7-10 years afte the line flops for some mad cash.

What, are HCM-Pros valuable now?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

boom boom boom posted:

Funny how Bandai has no hesitation to experiment with Gundam, but heaven forbid they make a SRC that's not related to Mazinger Z...

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

BlitzBlast posted:

The fact that 1/100 Barbatos doesn't seem to have the mace thing is the only reason it dropped from being an immediate priority for me

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah, that's fine. They're different kits, all good.

It's buying upwards of three of the exact same kit that's crazy.

Unless it's a mass-produced suit like the Zaku, GM, Dom, Jegan, Jesta, or Gundam X

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If buying endless amounts of Gundam X is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Having almost finished the GM Cannon, and having built the GM 2.0 in the past, I'm quite pleased with the little improvements made in the Cannon over the base model. Setting aside the obvious extra equipment, it appears that the shoulder joint has been reinforced, which I'm glad of because my 2.0 shoulder eventually snapped off. I like the calf armor that extends over the ankle guards, because the ankle guards are another finicky bit that tend to pop off when touched.

I also think that the color scheme is better, more vibrant with higher contrast, but that's a matter of opinion and there is something to be said for the 2.0's weirdo teal color.

I wish I was skilled enough to turn my broken 2.0 into a battle damaged GM. Melt and scorch the shoulder or something.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 8, 2016