Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

Correct. The type of glue varies but generally either yellow wood glue or contact cement will work.

If I understand you mean to use construction grade plywood and skin it with 1/8" lauan, birch ply or something similar ... I don't see a problem. The difficulty in skinning larges sheets of ply is getting firm uniform pressure across the surface, it can be done but you need to plan it out. I agree with Mr. Mambold that I wouldn't do it, but it can be done. Around here you can buy inexpensive hardwood plywood at Lowes/HD for around $45/sheet

I didn't get that; what I read was he intended to put a skin of 1/8" plywood on a frame of...framing lumber. Maybe I misread it. Frankly I'm with you on the big box places- you can get really nice hardwood 3/4" plywood for reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mr. Mambold posted:

I didn't get that; what I read was he intended to put a skin of 1/8" plywood on a frame of...framing lumber.

Ah... well I have seen shelving done that way but usually for garages or storage units. The 1/8" would be stiffening the cabinet like a lateral brace. But in that case I would probably just nail it on.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Opinions on this lathe? http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/5377020143.html My tool budget is basically zero for the time being, but I really want to pick up a lathe. Assuming it runs nicely, that plus the included tools doesn't seem too bad for $110.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bimmian posted:

Opinions on this lathe? http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/5377020143.html My tool budget is basically zero for the time being, but I really want to pick up a lathe. Assuming it runs nicely, that plus the included tools doesn't seem too bad for $110.

I have zero experience with lathes, but my impression is that they're the cameras of woodworking, viz. once you have one you just keep spending more and more money on extras.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bimmian posted:

The older craftsman tools were really well built. That looks like a steal to me. Have the guy fire it up, and bring cash.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

Ah... well I have seen shelving done that way but usually for garages or storage units. The 1/8" would be stiffening the cabinet like a lateral brace. But in that case I would probably just nail it on.

Yeah, same, not ready for prime time interior cabinetry. Plus I've seen 1/8" tear throuhh so many times, it just doesn't add any stability

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have zero experience with lathes, but my impression is that they're the cameras of woodworking, viz. once you have one you just keep spending more and more money on extras.

Yea that's been my main reason for not investing in a lathe so far, the lathe itself is just the tip of the iceberg.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

bimmian posted:

Make sure it runs smooth with no bearing sounds, then talk him down and buy it. It's got everything you need to get started.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

DevNull posted:

Hey, another Seattle woodworking goon! What kind of work space do you have in the city? I am stuck in an apartment for now, so have a collapsible bench and just a few hand tools.

I would also be interested in a #4 Stanley as well. Cpt.Wacky, what part of the Peninsula are you on? I haven't been over there in 10 years or so, but want to make it back over with my wife. She has never been.

We're actually up in Mountlake Terrace, so I was able to score a decent sized 2 car garage that already had a workbench built into it. I'm still working on getting things organized and really need a shed to kick the yard tools out of the garage. I'm mainly working with smaller tools like a portable table saw and 10" miter, but it does the trick for now.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Anyone here setup dust collection systems with a 1HP dust collector?

I'm looking to reorganize my shop and finally get proper dust collection going. Im sick of lugging the DC or shop vac around and dealing with hoses on the floor.
I did some googling however and it sounds like a 1HP just isn't enough for a dedicated system. However these were mostly tech like documents so I was wondering if anyone had hands on experience before I drop a bunch of cash on PVC.

My shop is a single car garage. I think it's at most 16 feet long.

I feel like im constantly battling a disorganized shop. I badly need to get more outlets installed, better dust collection, and more shelving made.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I got a 1HP off Craigslist and kinda regret it. It gets fine particles (I think) but overall it's collection capabilities are pretty lackluster. With a smaller tube I imagine it would work better, but with the 4" it has very little suction

it's fine for something mobile but if I wanted something that was a whole system I'd probably go for at least 2hp

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I notice something similar with mine as well with the suction. So maybe it's time for an upgrade.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bimmian posted:

Go for it. I wouldn't feel bad at all giving him full price but offer a little less and see if he bites. Then buy yourself a cheap or free treadmill, tear it down and build a variable speed drive; that's what I did for the '58 Craftsman I used to own.

page 11
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/4459.pdf

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Mine is 1hp and fine if I move it from machine to machine, keeping the hose short but with a 20' hose it has only a fraction of the suction.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I'm looking to reorganize my shop and finally get proper dust collection going. Im sick of lugging the DC or shop vac around and dealing with hoses on the floor.
I did some googling however and it sounds like a 1HP just isn't enough for a dedicated system. However these were mostly tech like documents so I was wondering if anyone had hands on experience before I drop a bunch of cash on PVC.

My shop is a single car garage. I think it's at most 16 feet long.

I feel like im constantly battling a disorganized shop. I badly need to get more outlets installed, better dust collection, and more shelving made.

I know the feeling, and dust collection of a better sort quickly starts getting expensive. That's why I'm building mine from the ground up and taking the long route, I started last spring or so and it'll probably take another year before it's done as I'm just slowly cobbling together what I need as I find it.

I was going to hoist the motor up on the stand I made for it (5hp motor I found for 20 bucks) tonight but I miscalculated how much a bolt stuck out of the winch mount and it binded up, so there I was with a 60lbs motor hanging about chest height and not sure what todo... Well I got it down safely.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Making your own is an interesting idea. I've watched Matthias videos on his small one. It looks doable but also like a lot of work. Getting a balanced impeller that doesn't draw too much power and kill the motor would make me nervous. A lot of trial and error to get that right.

You're right about the parts adding up fast though. I was hoping to go clear PVC just so you can see any jams/issues. But it's pricey, and hard to find. Then blast gates and hoses and everything else.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Speaking of dust collectors, I'm planning on getting the usual HF 2hp collector, putting a thein baffle on a big trash can and either a Wynn 35a canister filter, or venting it outside.

Any thoughts on if a ~10' run of 6" pipe on the exhaust is more or less restrictive than a big Wynn 35A filter? The exhaust on it is 4", but I can get 6 or 8" pvc for the same price as 4, so I might as well go larger for less restriction.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Falco posted:

We're actually up in Mountlake Terrace, so I was able to score a decent sized 2 car garage that already had a workbench built into it. I'm still working on getting things organized and really need a shed to kick the yard tools out of the garage. I'm mainly working with smaller tools like a portable table saw and 10" miter, but it does the trick for now.

Cool, I've got friends in Shoreline that I visit occasionally. Maybe I can unload some more tools on you soon :)

I am still working on cleaning up the rest of the planes I want to get rid of. The Anant is actually a #3 instead of #4 and it mostly sucks. I got it to make a fairly thin shaving but the depth adjustment is really tight even with the lever cap barely holding on. It seems like the cap iron has a lot more clamping force when it's installed, to the point of bending the blade. The Groz #4 is better than the Anant. I haven't looked at the Groz #5 yet. So far my feeling is that it's possible to get good results with the cheaper planes but it takes a lot more time adjusting things to get there compared to a Stanley.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I got a knife blank for Christmas, either it's this one or one a lot like it. Three screw rivets to hold it together. I made a practice run with some garbage wood I had lying around, and it went great. Everything lined up perfectly, shaping it was easy. And every damned time since then, I can't replicate it - there are six holes to drill that matter, and if any one of them's not aligned exactly right the screws won't line up. I did the first handle with a hand drill, just tracing where the holes go and drilling through them, but with the better wood (walnut) I've clamped the blanks to a drill press and still hosed it up - there's the littlest bit of give when the drill hits the wood, and so that's enough to throw off the holes. Is there some dumb and simple technique I should be using to drill these holes in exactly the right positions, or is this just something you get better at? It should not be this damned hard.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 5, 2016

MrPete
May 17, 2007
stick the two pieces of wood together with double sided tape and then drill once?

use something like carpet tape, not the thick foam stuff

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Cool, I've got friends in Shoreline that I visit occasionally. Maybe I can unload some more tools on you soon :)

I'm in the U District, so really not that far off. I am in an apartment though, so I have to stick to hand tools until I can afford a place with a work space.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

jackpot posted:

there's the littlest bit of give when the drill hits the wood, and so that's enough to throw off the holes. Is there some dumb and simple technique I should be using to drill these holes in exactly the right positions, or is this just something you get better at? It should not be this damned hard.

It's a typical problem and there are a couple of ways around it. First you can try using an awl or a nail to mark the holes and that tends to keep the bits from wandering. Or you can use center bits if you have them although I would still mark the holes with an awl. Center bits are short and only meant to drill out a starter hole for your drill bit to ride in so it can't deflect.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Making your own is an interesting idea. I've watched Matthias videos on his small one. It looks doable but also like a lot of work. Getting a balanced impeller that doesn't draw too much power and kill the motor would make me nervous. A lot of trial and error to get that right.

You're right about the parts adding up fast though. I was hoping to go clear PVC just so you can see any jams/issues. But it's pricey, and hard to find. Then blast gates and hoses and everything else.

The impeller is the difficult part to build if you scale it up, the one wandel made would be easier to build if you just follow the instructions and it should give you pretty good performance for it's size. But it wouldn't be for a stationary system, all that ducting would steal too much power.

I walked across a container at the junk yard last night literally filled to the brim with what looked like cast aluminum impellers, straight blade material handling ones. Too bad they all had some insane bore diameter that looked to be 2" or bigger. The biggest ones could have been 14-15" diameter and just about the right size for a dust collector. Could have been bought for scrap value.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hypnolobster posted:

Speaking of dust collectors, I'm planning on getting the usual HF 2hp collector, putting a thein baffle on a big trash can and either a Wynn 35a canister filter, or venting it outside.

Any thoughts on if a ~10' run of 6" pipe on the exhaust is more or less restrictive than a big Wynn 35A filter? The exhaust on it is 4", but I can get 6 or 8" pvc for the same price as 4, so I might as well go larger for less restriction.

Definitely go for 6", with only 2HP and the likely design of a HF impeller (straight vanes, inefficient) you can't afford to run 4" piping.

I think the wynn filter is also more restrictive but that's only a hunch. Also remember that when you add a separator you loose like half your suction, the reason for a separator is to save your filters from clogging up so often. If you have the ability to vent outside (mild climate, no close neighbors who might complain) then I think you shouldn't even add a separator given the power it steals, just let all the material vent outside instead and have a oil drum or something the pipe empties into, no lid.

I wouldn't add a separator myself but my impeller needs one since it's wood, and the design is like 3x more efficient than a straight vaned impeller so I am still ahead.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

wormil posted:

Go for it. I wouldn't feel bad at all giving him full price but offer a little less and see if he bites. Then buy yourself a cheap or free treadmill, tear it down and build a variable speed drive; that's what I did for the '58 Craftsman I used to own.

page 11
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/4459.pdf

I love old ads like that, thanks for digging that up. Going to look at it on Saturday, hopefully there will be wood chips flying everywhere shortly after.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

jackpot posted:

I got a knife blank for Christmas, either it's this one or one a lot like it.

It should not be this damned hard.

Glue one handle to one side. Let dry. Drill, starting with the metal holes in the blank. They'll be your guide. Drill all three.

Flip it over, glue on the other handle on the other side. Let dry. Flip it back, now you've got three perfectly lined up holes in the first side.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

His Divine Shadow posted:

The impeller is the difficult part to build if you scale it up, the one wandel made would be easier to build if you just follow the instructions and it should give you pretty good performance for it's size. But it wouldn't be for a stationary system, all that ducting would steal too much power.

Yeah I'm more interested in something stationary. I find myself slacking on dust collection out of laziness/hose annoyance and I know that's bad. I do wear a mask but It's still not the best and leads to more wasted time in the end cleaning. It's not so bad in the summer when I can leave the garage door open, but in the winter it's less ideal.
Guess I'll troll craigslist and kijiji hoping to find something decent used, and try to work on my lovely habits.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Awesome, I may be down for that, especially at the prices you're letting the planes go for ;)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Hypnolobster posted:

Wynn doesn't appear to release pressure curves for their filters, and I don't see anyone that's posted one, so it's a bit of a guess. At the alleged 1550 CFM capacity, it's probably a wash between a clean Wynn filter and 10' of 6" duct. At a more realistic flow rates, the 6" duct definitely wins.

However, that's assuming 6" pipe exhausts into the same space as the intake. When you're exhausting outside, you also have to consider the restriction for makeup air; if you don't have any allowance for that, the net pressure drop will be higher (how much higher depends on your structure).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Zhentar posted:

Wynn doesn't appear to release pressure curves for their filters, and I don't see anyone that's posted one, so it's a bit of a guess. At the alleged 1550 CFM capacity, it's probably a wash between a clean Wynn filter and 10' of 6" duct. At a more realistic flow rates, the 6" duct definitely wins.
However, that's assuming 6" pipe exhausts into the same space as the intake. When you're exhausting outside, you also have to consider the restriction for makeup air; if you don't have any allowance for that, the net pressure drop will be higher (how much higher depends on your structure).

His Divine Shadow posted:

Definitely go for 6", with only 2HP and the likely design of a HF impeller (straight vanes, inefficient) you can't afford to run 4" piping.
I think the wynn filter is also more restrictive but that's only a hunch. Also remember that when you add a separator you loose like half your suction, the reason for a separator is to save your filters from clogging up so often. If you have the ability to vent outside (mild climate, no close neighbors who might complain) then I think you shouldn't even add a separator given the power it steals, just let all the material vent outside instead and have a oil drum or something the pipe empties into, no lid.
I wouldn't add a separator myself but my impeller needs one since it's wood, and the design is like 3x more efficient than a straight vaned impeller so I am still ahead.

I don't have room for dust collection outside, so if it's vented outside it'll have to be relatively clean (at this point I'm thinking cyclone over thien baffle after looking deeper into efficiency). As for makeup air, it's a 4000 sq.ft. 1970's house, so it's got more than enough volume, and plenty of leaks for the ~500-800cmf the HF dust collector can actually manage.

My priority is high CFM and minimal footprint. I can wallmount the blower, drop it down into the cyclone and drop everything into a plastic drum and vent it outside with about a 8' run with one sweep 90 bend. The alternative is the wynn filter, but it doubles the footprint and cost, but I won't be sucking air out of a heated or cooled house.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looking to build a simple radiator shelf to put on a (functional) radiator so my cats can look out the window. Just something simple like this:

Basically just a piece of wood sitting on the radiator, with some trim on the edge to keep it from sliding off. The radiator doesn't put off steam so the wood would stay dry, I'm just wondering if there's any types of woods that would be better or worse for something that probably gets close to boiling temperature.

I think my plan is just to get a 1x8 in a hard wood at Menards, so I've got a few choices besides oak, but not super exotic. I'll probably stain it since the trim is stained wood. Would maple or birch work for this?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Skil Router 1817:
http://www.amazon.com/SKIL-1817-120V-Fixed-Router/dp/B004SKY6W6

I found this on sale at Lowe's for $58 bucks and didn't get it.

Did I make a terrible mistake?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Skil Router 1817:
http://www.amazon.com/SKIL-1817-120V-Fixed-Router/dp/B004SKY6W6

I found this on sale at Lowe's for $58 bucks and didn't get it.

Did I make a terrible mistake?

Probably not.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

wormil posted:

It's a typical problem and there are a couple of ways around it. First you can try using an awl or a nail to mark the holes and that tends to keep the bits from wandering. Or you can use center bits if you have them although I would still mark the holes with an awl. Center bits are short and only meant to drill out a starter hole for your drill bit to ride in so it can't deflect.
I ended up going this route and it worked great. Used a nail to mark the hole, then starting with a 1/16 bit I just made 3 progressively bigger holes. I still had one hole that was off the tiniest bit, but I found if I brought the drill press into it ever-so-slowly, but firmly, I was able to basically cut a new hole with the center point a few millimeters to the side, like I needed. Anyway, it worked.

When it came to the counterbores for the screws there was nothing to be done but just eyeball them and go very, very slowly, but it worked. Now the fun part:

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
The strangest thing happened yesterday, I crossed something off 'The List'. Having a sled sure is handy. Nothing fancy, though I do have a short length of t-track I may try to put in for a clamp.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Building a firebowl stand out of some leftover walnut from another project. Will be outdoors 24/7. What's the best thing to finish it with? I've only ever done shellac and poly.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bobua posted:

Building a firebowl stand out of some leftover walnut from another project. Will be outdoors 24/7. What's the best thing to finish it with? I've only ever done shellac and poly.

I don't know what a firebowl but walnut is rot resistant. If you use a film finish it'll need to be refinished every few years so I would consider a deck oil.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If I were back in Seattle, I would definitely be hitting you up for a number 4.

In the meantime I've been lugging a stanley no. 8 from Michigan, to Costa Rica, then back to Finland. I also got a nice crosscut panel saw, some saw sets and files, and a half hatchet. The US is the promised land for old tools.

I've been using the hatchet to open coconuts. Multitasker supreme.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Holy hell, Grizzly customer service is spectacular. The motor died in my saw and after I figured out what died (start windings, I think. caps were fine), I gave them a call and after about 2 minutes on the phone, they had it shipped 3 day UPS.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If you're like me I'd save that motor and try and see if I could get it to work. I got a shelf with 5-6 induction motors of varying speeds and HP by now. Just incase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

bimmian posted:

The strangest thing happened yesterday, I crossed something off 'The List'. Having a sled sure is handy. Nothing fancy, though I do have a short length of t-track I may try to put in for a clamp.

Nice work, I don't know if you've seen this video, but it's sure is handy for squaring up a sled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG-n--LFgQ

I recommend his channel in general, doesn't put out a lot but what he does show is usually quality work.