Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Thanks. I'll have to check those out.

E: Or at least the second and third ones I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a BL anthology of one-shots, it's crossdressing and not trans and is probably kinda hit and miss but might scratch the itch I dunno:
http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/syrup_bitter_anthology/

I was a little disappointed because Haruko Kumota did the cover but didn't have a story in it :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bokura no Hentai too though that's more on the drama bomb side of things. The author has also done another trans series too that I can't remember the name of but it was real loving weird.
And also obviously Wandering Son, which is mainly serious rather than fluffy.

The only ones that have older than high school stuff in them are KKY, which ended up being kind of meh, and Claudine which is horrendously depressing and about as far from Prunus Girl as it's possible to get.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There's also Zenryoku Otome which has a love triangle between a boy who dresses as a girl, his female childhood friend, and a boy. It's fun and cute, but it might not be what you're looking for (it's not made clear if the protagonist dresses like a girl because he identifies as one or just because he likes the pretty clothes, but it seems it's the latter).

You could also try Josou Debut, which is about two (male) childhood friends who start high school, one of the two starts dressing like a girl and start chasing after the other. It's more on the comedy side though.

There's also Bokura no Hentai which is a more serious take on trans characters. On that note, Hourou Musuko if you haven't read it yet.

Last rec: Balance Policy, which has the imo super hosed up premise that due to declining birthrate the government picks some boys to be turned into girls to balance the scales, so to speak, and two fiends have to deal with one being turned into a girl.

e. Hybrid Boy is also cute, but has only two chapters (and a... questionable doujin by the original author, which is unfortunate since I'd have liked to see the story continue rather than what we got).

Mikl fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 8, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku (whatever the gently caress that means) also has a prominent trans character. As a whole it's more so about three characters' increasingly concerning sexual hangups. Also it's in college not highschool so that's a plus.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Stop!! Hibari Kun is about some dude who moves to Tokyo to live with a Yakuza family after his mother dies. The only son of the family is actually a girl, the titular Hibari. I don't think it's really an lgbt manga the same way Prunus Girl is from what I've read of it but It's extremely weird and stylish at times so I think it's worth checking out. Set in highschool.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I've read Bokura no Hentai up to the point where Aoki starts taking hormones and whatnot. I've read a good bit of Hourou Musuko. I really enjoyed both of those up to the points I read them at least. I've been meaning to finish going through what's available, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've been going through batoto and it's been kind of hit or miss on finding good stuff where the trans character(s) aren't just negative stereotypes/jokes or such, so I figured I'd ask. I also don't like it when the character protests at being a girl/boy/man/woman and either actually doesn't like it at all for the most part or gets "worn down" into acceptance if you know what I mean. That just makes it seem gratuitous in a bad way to me, especially when it's done for comedic or sexual effect.

I like more serious stuff too, I just got caught a bit off guard with liking Prunus Girl, so I wanted to try some more stuff like that. I was kind of expecting Aikawa and the relationship with Maki to be the butt of most of the jokes and a lot of ridicule portrayed as justified. But then...that just didn't really happen, and what did happen was mostly just a different flavor of sweet love story than the usual straight couple. Shion's side story was also sweet.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Kyou Kara Yonshimai trip report: cried 3 times. Would cause leaky eye syndrome again. Ending maybe not the strongest, and a few contrivances, but overall I enjoyed it and has a few good punches.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 8, 2016

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Pavlov posted:

Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku (whatever the gently caress that means) also has a prominent trans character. As a whole it's more so about three characters' increasingly concerning sexual hangups. Also it's in college not highschool so that's a plus.

This kind of at first felt like smut but I do like it.

DisDisDis posted:

Stop!! Hibari Kun is about some dude who moves to Tokyo to live with a Yakuza family after his mother dies. The only son of the family is actually a girl, the titular Hibari. I don't think it's really an lgbt manga the same way Prunus Girl is from what I've read of it but It's extremely weird and stylish at times so I think it's worth checking out. Set in highschool.

Oh, this is pretty great and is pretty close to Prunus Girl's feel.

Also check out Family Compo - a comedy about a recently orphaned college freshman(?) goes to live with his aunt and uncle, but finds out they're both trans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

This kind of at first felt like smut but I do like it.

Also check out Family Compo - a comedy about a recently orphaned college freshman(?) goes to live with his aunt and uncle, but finds out they're both trans.

I liked the family, but the protagonist was a weiner.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

I'm going through it right now and it's pretty fun so far. Not as romancey so far though.

I laughed too hard at this exchange:

The little sister: What's menstruating? Do we celebrate if I start menstruating? Is it bad if I don't menstruate?
Hibari: It's ok, don't worry about it. The truth is Hibari hasn't started doing it yet either.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
New manga by the author of House of the Sun came out.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but here's the link for the people who liked the author's work.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nondevor posted:

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but here's the link for the people who liked the author's work.

"The End of the World is the Beginning of Love" is a cool title

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nondevor posted:

It was pretty cute, but I'm not so immediately into it as I was with House of the Sun. HotS is one of my favorite shoujo because of the whole family thing, this self-esteem thing isn't as engaging.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Terper posted:

It was pretty cute, but I'm not so immediately into it as I was with House of the Sun. HotS is one of my favorite shoujo because of the whole family thing, this self-esteem thing isn't as engaging.

On the upside, the male lead isn't waffling about his feelings, so that's already out in the open probably.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just finished the webtoon Where Tangents Meet and it was cute. Check it out if you're in the mood for a fairly standard romance between two fairly believable characters being fairly reasonable and cute.

http://www.webtoons.com/en/romance/where-tangents-meet/ep-1/viewer?title_no=421&episode_no=1

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nondevor posted:

People who don't know English shouldn't translate manga

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Shishunki Bitter Change is pretty good and feely, although the body swap deal feels like it is vastly overstaying its welcome by this point.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

body swap is literally the only thing to that manga...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's the only body swap manga I've ever thought was worth reading.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I really mean more the stuff like where they're still to a significant extent trying to live their lives how the other person wants after so many years, even though there's not really anything providing hope that they'll be able to ever really switch back. Although to be fair, it seems like that's starting to break down.

I dunno, maybe it's also because I read through 4 volumes in one sitting.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'm still really looking forward to more when it comes out regardless though.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Taiyou no Ie finished right? i guess i will read it all the way through

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah its done, and is good

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i didnt like hiro the first time i read some of this and i still dont

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i really don't like him either, but i think we're alone in that

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Oshiete-Kurogane-kun
here's a great shoujo that i checked out cause the author just started a new series. it does the whole loner boy taking care of a smaller sibling and girl falls for him like so many, but the characters are great, the boy is way more likeable than most of his sort and the girl makes some great faces.

it also has a great final punchline that i totally wish more comics actually did
when the girl finally asks him out after a bunch of false starts and times where she thinks he didn't get the message it turns out he actually thinks they have been dating all along

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Kylra posted:

I really mean more the stuff like where they're still to a significant extent trying to live their lives how the other person wants after so many years, even though there's not really anything providing hope that they'll be able to ever really switch back. Although to be fair, it seems like that's starting to break down.

I dunno, maybe it's also because I read through 4 volumes in one sitting.

I really like that aspect of Shishunki Bitter Change. The way the two kids think about themselves and each other is really interesting. It has a strange effect on their senses of self but there are also times when it seems like a source of strength that they're taking care of each other's bodies. Body swap stories are usually really insipid but their dynamics with each other feel human.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Cephas posted:

I really like that aspect of Shishunki Bitter Change. The way the two kids think about themselves and each other is really interesting. It has a strange effect on their senses of self but there are also times when it seems like a source of strength that they're taking care of each other's bodies. Body swap stories are usually really insipid but their dynamics with each other feel human.
Yeah, I thought it was interesting too, but at this point I feel like the living each others' lives part has been on the final approach to maximum tension for the last several chapters, and that it's about time for it to snap. I was kind of expecting it to happen in the final chapter or two of vol 4 as a cliff-hanger for the next, but maybe it'll be the focus or climax of vol 5 or something. It does seem like that breaking down and being rebuilt differently is being set up for the near future to me at least. If it doesn't, it feels to me like that aspect might end up getting stretched out too far.

I mean, they're starting to really fall in love with people. What are they going to do, just pretend they're only in love with the partners each of them designates? Destroy each others' interpersonal relationships completely because they can't have those in their own bodies?

And what was with that book Kazuma kicked it was implied Yui was reading in ch 22? I don't think it was explained, but it was emphasized so much after the talk of "finding a different approach" for switching back. Could it possibly be something related to medical transition? It almost feels like that's kind of the direction Yui is going. I don't think Yuuta would like that all that much with their current "live each others' lives" pact. Yui just seems so torn up by the body and gender stuff though that it seems something that might happen anyway regardless of if Yuuta protests.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i hope mao's dad kicks hiro's rear end and takes his daughter back

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Prunus Boy, it felt to me more like a "trap"-based typical shounen romantic comedy, rather than something actually dealing with "real" LGBT people, if that makes sense. It's not as bad as I expected based upon the beginning/premise and art style (not that the art is bad, but it has very "stereotypical shounen romcom" art), but I had trouble really getting into it.

Speaking of the above, I think the mark of a high quality romance series is if a person who isn't of the sexual orientation of the main characters (or turned on by them, as in yaoi) can still enjoy it. In Prunus Girl I get the feeling that I'm supposed to be titillated by a bunch of things, and since I'm not* it ends up with pretty much all of the non-comedy aspects falling flat. Bokura no Hentai is an example of something that has good enough characters that, even if I can't personally relate with them, it's still very interesting.

*I really don't personally get most "trap" stuff. I'd rather read about actual gay/trans people than someone who looks exactly like a girl and is seemingly only actually a boy because it creates comedic opportunities (or fulfills a fetish some people are into). It's the sort of thing that isn't inherently bad, but the way it's done almost always results in situations where the MC is confused because the girl they were attracted to turned out to actually be a boy and has a bunch of gay panic as a result.

Davincie posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Oshiete-Kurogane-kun

when the girl finally asks him out after a bunch of false starts and times where she thinks he didn't get the message it turns out he actually thinks they have been dating all along

90% of shoujo manga take place in an alternate universe where teenage boys have only a token interest in a physical/sexual relationship and have no problem dating a girl for months without doing anything beyond kissing (if that).

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It kind of is I guess since testosterone does things to your body so someone with an appearance like in Prunus Girl without medical intervention or pre-pubertal castration (maybe not even though) would be very rare outside of maybe certain intersex conditions.

And at the same time, crossdressing, genderqueer and non-op trans people exist and are people that want relationships too, so just "looks woman but has a dick" type situations aren't entirely extraordinary.

I didn't get the feeling that even the titillation in Prunus Girl came off as particularly fetish-oriented though. The titillation factor basically felt like a straight cis couple with an aggressive, teasy female lead to me for the most part. The biggest difference I felt to the core romance was just that Maki has a different reasoning for being reluctant. Although with that said, it would have soured things greatly for me if Maki rejected Aikawa at the end due to his continued gay panic. That would have made it very different from when the reluctant partner in a straight cis pairing gets over their fear of commitment or whatever. Double especially since through the entire thing Maki is made out to be the weird one for being hung up over it.

My general feeling on portraying "real" trans or gay people is that not all LGBT media needs to be about the serious social, emotional, economic and other trials and challenges LGBT people face. I like that stuff too, but I think it would be too limiting to keep everything LGBT into that domain. I think it's ok to have situations where someone can just dress up in a skirt even if they're a boy or vice versa without it being a huge deal. Fetishization is weird at best and not infrequently a problem, but at the same time trans people are allowed to be lovable or sexy like cis people without having to atone for it with dysphoria before or after. It's my feeling on it that Prunus Girl certainly isn't just fetish fuel at least. A lot of the other characters are likable with a lot of screen time too, and Maki is likable and doesn't treat Aikawa like a trophy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

90% of shoujo manga take place in an alternate universe where teenage boys have only a token interest in a physical/sexual relationship and have no problem dating a girl for months without doing anything beyond kissing (if that).

there's a whole lot of shoujo smut being uploaded on batoto the last few weeks that show the opposite ;)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Shoujo+smut is the best tag combo.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

Shoujo+smut is the best tag combo.

if you like tall lanky rape men sure

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the slenderman series of shojo smut stories

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Who do I have to contact to commission this

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Is this a Junji Itou story that hasn't been made yet

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
There's literally nothing titillating about Prunus Girl is the thing. It's cute simplistic fluff about a gay couple where one member crossdresses. It would be improved if Maki wasn't such a square though drink with your friends on christmas (and get laid) for god's sake.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Aikawa gets some pretty serious teasing in. It's not like super ecchi or nudity-filled or something, but Aikawa does constantly tease Maki very suggestively and get touchy a bunch.

The first example from chapter 1 page 6, but really it's pretty common for Aikawa to do stuff like this to Maki.

Seems like it's supposed to be pretty titillating to me. Then immediately after this, Aikawa moves closer to get between Maki's legs, put their faces closer together, and also touches his thigh if that panel on the previous page wasn't enough. It's set up to be pretty dang sexually charged even if there's no nudity, panty shots, or crotch bulges. At least in the abstract, even if stuff like that does nothing for you personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
New, good chapter of Lily Love. The author puts a lot of effort into drawing French kisses.