Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

AnacondaHL posted:

If they don't show her derping around with old film canisters filled with water then I will retract the appropriate amount of hype for the show.

Wait a minute lol I'm old everyone has digital cameras nowadays how do the poor oboe players keep their reeds wet now

Funny you should ask that, since I noticed the bassoon player in my orchestra no longer using a film canister a few weeks ago.

She said that prescription bottles work pretty well, but nowadays they're making purpose-built containers for the purpose, that are designed to do things like clip onto music stands and the like.
http://www.forrestsmusic.com/oboe_gift_ideas.htm

On another note, I'm not sure why I like Dagashi Kashi, but I do, along with all the characters. Despite how weird and stupid it seems to be thus far, somehow it just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad they cut the back muscle face thing. That was a level of in-universe weirdness that the manga never gets anywhere near afterwards.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
holy loving poo poo boom boom boom

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The second episode of Active Raid seems to have fixed the show's audio levels. The soundtrack was way too quiet during the first episode.

I sorta like this anime, but I can't help from getting the feeling that I should probably be watching Patlabor instead. I've heard lots of good stuff about that series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Theowulv posted:

The second episode of Active Raid seems to have fixed the show's audio levels. The soundtrack was way too quiet during the first episode.

I sorta like this anime, but I can't help from getting the feeling that I should probably be watching Patlabor instead. I've heard lots of good stuff about that series.

I also kinda like active raid, but you are correct. If you have not seen patlabor yet you should absolutely watch that instead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Theowulv posted:

There are few things better than Patlabor, so you should definitely be watching Patlabor.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Theowulv posted:

Watch Patlabor

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Theowulv posted:

Why not both? I love Patlabor, but I like Active Raid too. They're similar, yes, though not exactly the same.

This new anime is getting a lot closer to Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and other cheesy "special effects" productions.

Which is fine by me, but you definitely need a little of that in your tastes, since Patlabor didn't really go for that angle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I absolutely love the big band style soundtrack in Active Raid

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Asian Kung-Fu Generation does the OP for Boku Dake, that's pretty sweet. It's been forever since I've heard them in anime

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

active raid: lol @ the bonzai buddy and the pop ups

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
half miku, half bonzi, completely unstoppable

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://webm.land/media/ZLz0.webm

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We've all been there

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The second episode of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi was more low key than the first but it was still very tense and good. It turning out to be an easy slate in for most impactful show this season imo

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yep, the new Active Raid episode was pretty great. I lost it when she brought down the building because she kicked the perp too hard.

I think the music is really what's selling it to me. It's really fun and energetic, exactly what the show is trying to be.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Colonel posted:

holy loving poo poo boom boom boom

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

wielder posted:

Why not both? I love Patlabor, but I like Active Raid too. They're similar, yes, though not exactly the same.

Well I guess I will be watching both. You're right, they have their differences.

After watching the first three episodes of Patlabor I've decided to marathon it.

I do have to thank Active Raid for getting me in the mood to watch Patlabor though, because it's super entertaining! There isn't a bad character in the main cast.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Theowulv posted:

Well I guess I will be watching both. You're right, they have their differences.

After watching the first three episodes of Patlabor I've decided to marathon it.

I do have to thank Active Raid for getting me in the mood to watch Patlabor though, because it's super entertaining! There isn't a bad character in the main cast.

which version are you watching?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Erased is really loving good and easily my favourite show of the season, just hope the end isn't rushed.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Droyer posted:

which version are you watching?

The tv series on Hulu, it looks like Hulu also has an ova series, should I be watching that?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Theowulv posted:

The tv series on Hulu, it looks like Hulu also has an ova series, should I be watching that?

The classic answer is to watch both haha. I liked the ova stuff more tho

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Theowulv posted:

there are 2 ova series. The first was made before the tv series and is a separate continuity (the movies are also in this continuity). The second OVA series is a continuation of the tv series. And yes, you should. All Patlabor is good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Theowulv posted:

The OAV/movies and TV series are kind of different continuities with the former being more serious stories and the latter more comedy based, you can watch either really.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

So is the Wakaba group secretly Nergal or something? :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The OAV/movies and TV series are kind of different continuities with the former being more serious stories and the latter more comedy based, you can watch either really.

The original OVA is definitely comedy.

If anything, the movies are the ones that stand out, being weirdly serious compared to both the Early Days OVA and TV series + TV OVA. All of it is good, though, and it's not like continuity between shows matters a whole lot in Patlabor anyway.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The original OVA is definitely comedy.

If anything, the movies are the ones that stand out, being weirdly serious compared to both the Early Days OVA and TV series + TV OVA. All of it is good, though, and it's not like continuity between shows matters a whole lot in Patlabor anyway.

Both the original OVA and the tv series have serious episodes. While there are many comedy episodes I wouldn't call Patlabor a comedy series as such

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Yeah Erased is by far the best thing to come out this season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, the second episode of Erased was absurdly good. I think that was a solid improvement of the original material, even though it didn't make any significant changes.

Something that's new to the show, however, is the film motif. That was definitely not there in the manga. It's an odd way to encapsulate memories and time travel but it works and the show uses it really well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crunchyroll's got some catalog additions coming today. Nothing special, Princess Nine, Towards the Terra, THE DUB OF GHOST STORIES.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well poo poo, so much for ERASED being the standout of the season.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchyroll's got some catalog additions coming today. Nothing special, Princess Nine, Towards the Terra, THE DUB OF GHOST STORIES.

I'm glad Crunchy is getting more older anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

I'm glad Crunchy is getting more older anime

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Wow, the second episode of Erased was absurdly good. I think that was a solid improvement of the original material, even though it didn't make any significant changes.

Something that's new to the show, however, is the film motif. That was definitely not there in the manga. It's an odd way to encapsulate memories and time travel but it works and the show uses it really well.

i haven't watched the episode yet but what's odd about that? film as dreams/memories and time travel go back to the earliest days of the medium, those are some of its most pervasive and primary concerns

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I found it odd because the manga presents everything extremely straightforwardly from Satoru's perspective. The most artsy it gets is when it shows Satoru saying out loud what he's thinking, which happens a couple times in this episode. The movie motif, while it definitely fits and is done really well, kind of betrays that original style, so I was conflicted about it initially.

Waffleman_ posted:

THE DUB OF GHOST STORIES.

Today is a beautiful day.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

nielsm posted:

Haruta was really obnoxious/mister-know-it-all in episode 2, annoyed me to no end.

Mmm. Although apparently the moral of the episode is that oboe players are all assholes. No exceptions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of, Erased is now up on AnimeLab so I get to see what all the fuss is about :peanut:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

New designs and VAs for Hero Academia.

Tsuyu is Aoi Yuuki (Madoka, Terrible Tornado)
Mineta is Ryo Hirohashi (Fuckin' Tails)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Fujiko was fine imo, it's when you get to poo poo like the drill-dick gimp robot in Jigen's Gravestone that eyebrows start to raise.

Tetsuo the Ironman was a good movie, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

New designs and VAs for Hero Academia.

Tsuyu is Aoi Yuuki (Madoka, Terrible Tornado)
Mineta is Ryo Hirohashi (Fuckin' Tails)
Frog girl's voice actress looks like frog girl.

• Locked thread