Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sushibandit posted:

My computer room is fully blacked-out with no external light sources so I'm not concerned with reflections being an issue, and I badly need to replace an old generic "gaming" Acer 27" TN monitor. I'm also on a fairly tight budget, so that pricepoint is very attractive.

Do you always have lights on in the room or are you playing games in a dark cave? Because people who play games in total darkness are most likely to get annoyed by IPS glow issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The 970 isn't powerful enough to run that well, at least not for modern games.

1080? It's still a good 1440 card if you aren't allergic to turning settings down, especially if you're waiting for Polaris.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Klyith posted:

Do you always have lights on in the room or are you playing games in a dark cave? Because people who play games in total darkness are most likely to get annoyed by IPS glow issues.

There's a small lamp off to the side of my desk pointed at a wall for low level diffuse lighting, that's it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

xthetenth posted:

1080? It's still a good 1440 card if you aren't allergic to turning settings down, especially if you're waiting for Polaris.

Not for 2 of them at 75hz. That's more pixels than 1440 before you up the hz.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Not for 2 of them at 75hz. That's more pixels than 1440 before you up the hz.

That's about the same as the 3440x1440 my 970 drove just fine, never mind the question of whether people actually game on two screens at once.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

No, OCing a monitor refresh shouldn't wear it out faster at all. The problem is that a large majority of 60hz monitors cannot usefully overclock at all, due to sending the data through scaler hardware. Even if the incoming signal is the native resolution, it still has to pass through that chip. And most of the time said chip doesn't have the power to keep up with anything above 60hz and will drop frames or go blank

This is great news...

... And yeah, I know. I have a 2560x1600 monitor that overclocks to exactly 75Hz (76+ makes the backlight super bright for a reason I can't understand, but the panel still works fine up to at least 80), because it doesn't have any scaler/OSD hardware etc in it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

slidebite posted:

I am taking that back, it didn't wake up when I fired it up this AM. Plugged in the HDMI cable that came with it and when I switched inputs it did. We'll see how it goes. I am thinking it's something with the signal of the DP on the GPU. I doubt it's the monitor but of course it's not impossible.

Is there a way to see if a card is outputting properly short of trial and error? It's sort of tough to do with an intermittent problem.

How does one see if there is an update for firmware for a video card?

I only see drivers on their website - evga GTX980ti, and those are reference drivers at that.

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti

For video cards you would be looking for a new BIOS, not firmware. However, for some bizzaro reason EVGA makes it impossible to fine if there is a new BIOS for your card.
Techpowerup seems to have a great listing for VGA card bios'.
Also, if you are bothering to update your bios, you might want to look into doing some bios tuning. I don't know about the 980ti but the 970s were able to get a huge performance increase by removing some of the crazy low level restrictions on the card.
I didn't bother for a long time because my 970 was crushing my 1680x1050 resolution with any game I threw at it, but now that I run 3440x1440 I figured it was time for a boost.
I made some changes to the voltage table, upped the TDP to 120% (so that it actually will go to 120%) and my CPU clock speed went from 1150 to 1400 with a 1450 boost clock and my memory went from 3000 to 3750. Thats a pretty significant upgrade.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Video card bios just don't get updated often. There simply arnt many if any issues found in them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the hdmi2.0 cable and so far working like a champ. I will just keep using it. It might just be a flukey combo but there does seem to be a lot of people having DP issues and monitors waking up so who knows.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/CES-2016-Monoprice-Announces-219-and-4K-Displays

Monoprice is making a 1440p 21:9 from rejected LG panels for $499... if it has Freesync like the same LG panels do, I'll buy one so loving fast; the LG equivalent is $1100.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What are their quality criteria?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
LQ quality criteria can be very mediocre so I'd not buy something that's too bad for them.

Then again, I'd lose my mind if I had a single dead pixel on my monitor, and some people don't seem to mind them if they're in some corner or such.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

What are their quality criteria?

They said they will not be using less than an "A+" panel, whatever that means. Maybe LG has some with no dead pixels, but worse backlight bleed or something?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I thought bleed was the rest of the monitor, not the panel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That was just a wild guess, I have no idea what the difference is, I just have PCper's quote about how they're going to be using A+ panels, and the only place that makes a curved 1440p 21:9 75hz panel like that is LG.

I already have a 21:9 1080p 29" monitor with FreeSync and it's amazing, so this would probably be my endgame where I can't notice any further resolution/framerate improvements from the distance I'm sitting and everything.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

They said they will not be using less than an "A+" panel, whatever that means. Maybe LG has some with no dead pixels, but worse backlight bleed or something?

I'm guessing A+ is just branding, like 'gold' being the lowest level of enterprise support you can get, and effectively garbage. These are probably panels that pass the lights up and doesn't catch fire level of QA.

Wait until the first wave of monitors get reviews, and see what peoples actual experiences are.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Pretty sure the Korean monitors are A+. So it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Could I get some suggestions on a monitor to purchase? The choices seem very overwhelming, especially the range in prices. I'm used to a 23in screen and am thinking of moving to a 27in. I think anything above might be too big, since I won't be used to it.

Use case is gaming (not competitive fps though, rather stuff like the witcher 3)+ tv shows/movies + general computer stuff.

I flipped through the last few pages of the thread and am looking at the dell U2715H, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

I'll be using a GTX 970.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Pretty sure the Korean monitors are A+. So it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Pretty sure those were, at least initially, A-.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Legacyspy posted:

Could I get some suggestions on a monitor to purchase? The choices seem very overwhelming, especially the range in prices. I'm used to a 23in screen and am thinking of moving to a 27in. I think anything above might be too big, since I won't be used to it.

Use case is gaming (not competitive fps though, rather stuff like the witcher 3)+ tv shows/movies + general computer stuff.

I flipped through the last few pages of the thread and am looking at the dell U2715H, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

I'll be using a GTX 970.

I'd suggest the Korean special: Crossover 2795 QHD.

27" 1440p panel for about $300 US.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krailor posted:

I'd suggest the Korean special: Crossover 2795 QHD.

27" 1440p panel for about $300 US.

That, or nowadays you can just go for a refurb'd Acer XB270HU for $450 and get G-sync and guaranteed 144hz right from the get-go.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I switched my CCFL monitor (VH236H) for a LED based one (VH238H) and good god is this thing bright.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am thinking of purchasing a couple 4k monitors around 30 inches IPS display and small bezel. Any suggestions on the best thing out nowadays? I have always bought dell monitors but figure that things might have changed since the last time I purchased one.

I assume that 16:10 is no longer a thing?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

I am thinking of purchasing a couple 4k monitors around 30 inches IPS display and small bezel. Any suggestions on the best thing out nowadays? I have always bought dell monitors but figure that things might have changed since the last time I purchased one.

I assume that 16:10 is no longer a thing?

If you plan to game with an AMD card, it might be well worth seeing if you can get one of the ones with Freesync, since that could help smooth out lower framerates.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

xthetenth posted:

If you plan to game with an AMD card, it might be well worth seeing if you can get one of the ones with Freesync, since that could help smooth out lower framerates.

Was probably going to continue buying Nvidia but gaming isn't super important these days. I will mostly be using them for coding. I think that g-sync/freesync is going to be on most monitors that fit my needs though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

Was probably going to continue buying Nvidia but gaming isn't super important these days. I will mostly be using them for coding. I think that g-sync/freesync is going to be on most monitors that fit my needs though.

I'm pretty sure it's moderately rare on 4K screens still, especially IPS Gsync.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

xthetenth posted:

I'm pretty sure it's moderately rare on 4K screens still, especially IPS Gsync.

Yeah it looks like all TN panels.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm looking for a 4k 24" IPS. Is there any real option other than the $420 Dell P2415Q?

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
So my screen arrived (dell u2715h). It has a beautiful picture. EXCEPT, I see lines running across the screen. There are very thin and completely regular horizontal lines running all the way across the screen from top to bottom. It's almost like I'm seeing the lines between pixels or lines of pixels are of slightly darker/lighter shades alternating. Is this normal and just something I have to get used too? Its my first time having a screen of this quality.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Legacyspy posted:

So my screen arrived (dell u2715h). It has a beautiful picture. EXCEPT, I see lines running across the screen. There are very thin and completely regular horizontal lines running all the way across the screen from top to bottom. It's almost like I'm seeing the lines between pixels or lines of pixels are of slightly darker/lighter shades alternating. Is this normal and just something I have to get used too? Its my first time having a screen of this quality.

No, it's not normal, it sounds like you got one with a bad back lighting layer, time to do an exchange. :(

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
So, my job is giving me the choice of either two of: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Dell-P2715Q-LED-monitor-27in/3869722.aspx?pfm=srh or one of: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Dell-UltraSharp-U3415W-LED-monitor-34.08in/3860104.aspx?pfm=qud

I currently use a dell u2713h and a qnix- regardless of my choice I'm probably going to give the former to my girlfriend and ditch the latter completely. Anyone have any strong opinions on why I should do A or B?

(My job mainly involves lots of screens of text or spreadsheets (oh and I game but I won't be able to push 4K for that, probably so I don't think it matters overly?))

Malkar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 17, 2016

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Malkar posted:

So, my job is giving me the choice of either two of: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Dell-P2715Q-LED-monitor-27in/3869722.aspx?pfm=srh or one of: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Dell-UltraSharp-U3415W-LED-monitor-34.08in/3860104.aspx?pfm=qud

I currently use a dell u2713h and a qnix- regardless of my choice I'm probably going to give the former to my girlfriend and ditch the latter completely. Anyone have any strong opinions on why I should do A or B?

(My job mainly involves lots of screens of text or spreadsheets)

I would generally take the pair of P2715Q unless you are really short on desk space. I would really recommend using windows 10 on either of those monitors.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I've used a pair of 27"s and a 34" and I'd generally rate the 34" higher, in fact I bought another 34" to replace the 27"s. First off, do you use two monitors as a pair of equals or a primary+secondary combo? If the latter, the secondary monitor, even the nearest side to the center of the primary, is going to be farther to the side than the far edge of the ultrawide. I find that even that near side is far enough to the side that it's uncomfortable to use that screen half for a long time. If most of the time you run two windows, the 34" is phenomenal and wins hands down. For things like web browsers I used to do one per screen, now I split the 34". For things like documents, you can fit three side by side on it or two pdfs with table of contents with a bit of room left over. Unless you very specifically want more than two or three windows and will make serious sacrifices including neck strain to do it, I'd definitely go with the U3415W. I've still got the two 27"s and they're kind of just dangling off the 34" and don't see much use other than when I'm running pnp rpgs and need four or so pdfs open to prevent having to search.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Calidus posted:

I would generally take the pair of P2715Q unless you are really short on desk space. I would really recommend using windows 10 on either of those monitors.

I already use Windows 10- and yeah, it's leaps and bounds better at dealing with tiling and stuff.

xthetenth posted:

I've used a pair of 27"s and a 34" and I'd generally rate the 34" higher, in fact I bought another 34" to replace the 27"s. First off, do you use two monitors as a pair of equals or a primary+secondary combo? If the latter, the secondary monitor, even the nearest side to the center of the primary, is going to be farther to the side than the far edge of the ultrawide. I find that even that near side is far enough to the side that it's uncomfortable to use that screen half for a long time. If most of the time you run two windows, the 34" is phenomenal and wins hands down. For things like web browsers I used to do one per screen, now I split the 34". For things like documents, you can fit three side by side on it or two pdfs with table of contents with a bit of room left over. Unless you very specifically want more than two or three windows and will make serious sacrifices including neck strain to do it, I'd definitely go with the U3415W. I've still got the two 27"s and they're kind of just dangling off the 34" and don't see much use other than when I'm running pnp rpgs and need four or so pdfs open to prevent having to search.

I have them 'arranged' as equals- but the reality is that I basically use one for 90% of things and just have the other available for random 'off to the side' stuff. However- both of my monitors are already 2560x1440 and thus I can already do two browsers or two anything pretty much comfortably on a single screen. Could I comfortably fit THREE browser windows at 3440? The math suggests it'd be kind of cramped- also, I'm curious as to how well Windows 10 would handle me trying to even do that. It handles split tiling pretty well, but I don't usually have more than two windows open on one monitor.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 4ks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have a 770, and looking for a 27" monitor. Probably will move to a 1070(or whatever it's called) in about a year.

Is the Acer XB270HU the best choice here (Refurb'd)? Any major downsides?

I'd like to spend under $500, mainly used for gaming, strong preference for IPS. G-Sync optional, but since I have a 770 it seems like it'd be useful.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Malkar posted:

I already use Windows 10- and yeah, it's leaps and bounds better at dealing with tiling and stuff.

I have them 'arranged' as equals- but the reality is that I basically use one for 90% of things and just have the other available for random 'off to the side' stuff. However- both of my monitors are already 2560x1440 and thus I can already do two browsers or two anything pretty much comfortably on a single screen. Could I comfortably fit THREE browser windows at 3440? The math suggests it'd be kind of cramped- also, I'm curious as to how well Windows 10 would handle me trying to even do that. It handles split tiling pretty well, but I don't usually have more than two windows open on one monitor.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 4ks

If you really seriously use three windows enough and don't mind craning your neck for the secondary screen, I'd get the 4Ks. However if you use one main one for 90% of things, you might want to optimize for that at the expense of the 10%. Three separate browser windows isn't really in the cards on an ultrawide, although I do have vertical tabs taking horizontal real estate. Things I can stack three wide are more like code and documents without indices.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I noticed OLED displays seem to be getting pretty close to the mainstream. Did they ever fix the problem of reddening over time? I had heard that no one notices it in phones because it's only really noticeable after 3-5 years, and most people don't keep their phones that long. I don't mind plunking down a chunk of change for a high quality monitor that will last 10-20 years, but if the image quality is noticeably degrading over time that's a deal-breaker.

Not that I'm thinking of picking up any of the new OLED displays, they're still too pricey for me. I just want to know how excited I should be about the technology.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Supplanter posted:

I noticed OLED displays seem to be getting pretty close to the mainstream. Did they ever fix the problem of reddening over time? I had heard that no one notices it in phones because it's only really noticeable after 3-5 years, and most people don't keep their phones that long. I don't mind plunking down a chunk of change for a high quality monitor that will last 10-20 years, but if the image quality is noticeably degrading over time that's a deal-breaker.

Not that I'm thinking of picking up any of the new OLED displays, they're still too pricey for me. I just want to know how excited I should be about the technology.

There are very, very few OLED monitors out there and they are all still very expensive ($3k+). We are still probably 2 years away from seeing them be expensive but reasonable. (~$1k)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Supplanter posted:

It's probably going to be a slowly reducing thing over time. The affordable displays seem to be on laptops, where things progress faster anyway, so they should be a good indicator of the progress being made. They do seem to be putting in some real effort to mitigate it still so who knows how it'll be for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
So I just bought one of those 40" 4k Phillips monitors... looks incredible. Anyone have any advice on Windows window management tools to better divy things up on this massive screen.