Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The PzIV owns and the different versions are visually distinctive enough that owning several of them makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Luminaflare posted:

Also has anyone elses landing gear snapped as soon as you snipped them off the sprue?

Was just doing the main gear now, and: yes. Damnit.

Did you find a good workaround, before I start trying to stick this back together (or give up and glue the doors closed)?

Edit: Attaching piece 14 (the tiny braces) to the side of the main gear strut before removing it from the sprue seems to sort-of help. A bit.

Brovine fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 14, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Prime'd!

While I'm sure many of you are going to do crazy awesome things with your kits, Ive decided to practice my bare metal skills, so I'm just trying to make it properly. The men in the foreground have a coat of future in preperation for a highlight wash. The next step after doing some touchups on flaws priming revealed (take it from one who knows, all flaws show up bigtime in natural metal) is to paint this honkey gloss black.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Prime'd!

While I'm sure many of you are going to do crazy awesome things with your kits, Ive decided to practice my bare metal skills, so I'm just trying to make it properly. The men in the foreground have a coat of future in preperation for a highlight wash. The next step after doing some touchups on flaws priming revealed (take it from one who knows, all flaws show up bigtime in natural metal) is to paint this honkey gloss black.

Don't go too crazy with the metal, they were painted silver IRL. Big chunks were actually made of wood.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's a crapbuild, do whatever you want.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Midjack posted:

It's a crapbuild, do whatever you want.

Um yeah good point

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Pass through the hobby shop to pick up glue after an emergency visit to the dentist.

End up with a consolation Warspite that was on sale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilljonas posted:

Pass through the hobby shop to pick up glue after an emergency visit to the dentist.

End up with a consolation Warspite that was on sale.

Please dont use hobby glue to fix your teeth :ohdear:.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Finally got the pooplane on Tuesday, progress so far:

I realized that sans the additional "piping" I've added, it now looks like some kind of cargo cult A-10

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I don't know what you're doing to that poor tiny plane, but I like it!

Edit:

As for my own PooPlane, it has wheels and everything. Only thing left to attach from the kit is the canopy.

Getting the landing gear to glue in straight-ish was a bit tricky. Bodged supports!

(Gear doors were attached in the same fashion)

Apparently I need considerably more weight in the front. drat.

Canopy just sat in place, not glued in or tidied up yet. Just ignore the "jack" at the back holding it level...

I guess I'd best paint it next. And the finishing touches, of course...

Brovine fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 15, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Don't go too crazy with the metal, they were painted silver IRL. Big chunks were actually made of wood.

I had no idea. I read the wikipedia entry; I had no idea Vampires were a WW2 design, or that the wood bits were a result of people trying to conserve strategic war materials.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please dont use hobby glue to fix your teeth :ohdear:.

My teeth are a jagged row of gloss varnished fimo clay. Super glue will do just fine.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

lilljonas posted:

My teeth are a jagged row of gloss varnished fimo clay. Super glue will do just fine.

You surely joke, but when I was hitchhiking a few years ago and one of my teeth collapsed I filled the hole with CA glue until I could get to a city to go to a proper dentist. That was a better option then walking around with a huge hole in my tooth at the base, waiting to totally snap right off :gonk:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brovine posted:

I don't know what you're doing to that poor tiny plane, but I like it!

Edit:

As for my own PooPlane, it has wheels and everything. Only thing left to attach from the kit is the canopy.

Getting the landing gear to glue in straight-ish was a bit tricky. Bodged supports!

(Gear doors were attached in the same fashion)

Apparently I need considerably more weight in the front. drat.

Canopy just sat in place, not glued in or tidied up yet. Just ignore the "jack" at the back holding it level...

I guess I'd best paint it next. And the finishing touches, of course...

To be honest, I don't even know what I'm doing to it either! I had a couple Tamaya Jerry Can kit sprues laying around with a couple barrels left on them, otherwise the rest of the additions have purely been pieces of sprue.

Other than the cockpit and landing gear being hot garbage, it's been pretty fun not really having too much investment in making something accurate and being able to just glue poo poo on that looks cool (even if it makes no sense). I'm looking forward to getting to practice some greenstuff gap filling and sculpting some elements.

gently caress the cockpit and landing gear though! I like how there's positioning "holes," but no real positioning pins on any of it. I initially glued the cockpit together upside down, and the landing gear fell apart as soon as I clipped it off the sprue. Then none of the doors fit right when I decided I was just going to have the landing gear in the closed position.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, I don't even know what I'm doing to it either! I had a couple Tamaya Jerry Can kit sprues laying around with a couple barrels left on them, otherwise the rest of the additions have purely been pieces of sprue.

I'm not entirely decided what I'm doing with mine - and I think I'll let you guys weigh in on it.

My original plan was hatched when I realised that it came with no rockets or bombs. Just the four cannons is kinda boring, so I thought I'd do something about it. So I got some weapons.
This is the Sidewinder D (or in my case G, since that's what the RAF eventually had).

They're a little large for the plane, though.

So, since we're already looking a bit silly here, I noticed that the weapons kit also included something else. This is the GPU-5/A gun pod. It's basically a slightly-cut-down lighter version of the gun in the A-10.

I have two of them. They are rather large.

For added fun, I worked out that the recoil force of the two gun pods is between double and triple the force of the engine. This would be a terrible terrible idea.

So, my options at this point are: Falcon missiles (tiny but would probably look OK on a tiny plane), sidewinders (huge-ish), or gun pods (ridiculous)?

quote:

Other than the cockpit and landing gear being hot garbage, it's been pretty fun not really having too much investment in making something accurate and being able to just glue poo poo on that looks cool (even if it makes no sense). I'm looking forward to getting to practice some greenstuff gap filling and sculpting some elements.

gently caress the cockpit and landing gear though! I like how there's positioning "holes," but no real positioning pins on any of it. I initially glued the cockpit together upside down, and the landing gear fell apart as soon as I clipped it off the sprue. Then none of the doors fit right when I decided I was just going to have the landing gear in the closed position.
My cockpit is slightly off-centre I think. I won the fight with the landing gear, though, and they're attached only slightly wonky.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gun pods there, sidewinders on the wingtips. Other missiles wherever they will fit.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Arquinsiel posted:

Gun pods there, sidewinders on the wingtips. Other missiles wherever they will fit.

Paired sidewinders on each wingtip?

The one thing I'm really short of is things to use as pylons...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brovine posted:

Paired sidewinders on each wingtip?

The one thing I'm really short of is things to use as pylons...

glue :confused:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Nah, need something to put the missiles slightly away from the plane.

How's this for a starting point? (blu-tacked into place)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

One gun pod pointing backwards for additional thrust.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH that looks great.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
200 years in the future where everything has fusion rockets or w/e, one man refuses to pay for a new rocketfighter when his pappy's jet did just fine

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone hasn't tried the Mr. Metal colors by Gunze, you should definitely check them out. I picked up a set the other day, and wanted to try out their brushability. They have amazing quality through an airbrush, up there with Alclad, but they were supposedly very nice to brush as well. I tried standard brushing, and they went on very nicely. Next though, I tried a dry-brushing method, where I loaded my brush, let it sit for about a minute for most of the lacquer liquid to flash off, then scrubbed the left over metallic particles into the surface. That gave an even better look, almost on par with airbrushing. This wasn't even on an ideal surface as well. Normally they say for great metallics to put them over a gloss black undercoat. This was brushed onto a matte white surface that was even a little pebbly. And I was still able to get the results shown below. Buffing brings out the shine even more, and I was able to buff only a half hour after I had initially painted it on.

Definitely my go-to metallics now. Their brushability is perfect for people wary of putting metallics or lacquers through their airbrush too.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I just got a box of (tiny) Star Wars kits. These will be my practice kits before I tackle something bigger (and more expensive).

Now I'm in the process of masking the Falcon's canopy which is smaller than a finger nail.

Next week I should have an airbrush, until then It's all prep work.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
They label them as level 3 with that part count? Although I shouldn't really be surprised, Revell's difficulty level never made that much sense and seems to start at 3 for everything that's not an EasyKit. Looks like the scale is all over the place too.

On the other hand, if they're cheap I might start looking for those.

EDIT: Looks like they're just modified reissues of the 2007 era EasyKit line, which was prepainted and snap-together. I've assembled the TIE Interceptor from that line and it's fairly neat.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 16, 2016

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I picked up this huge 32" Falcon during the week for $42, bargain. I will be buying the Randy Cooper resin and etch set for it.:)

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Tiglath III posted:

I picked up this huge 32" Falcon during the week for $42, bargain.

That's no model, it's a space ship! For realsies.

What scale is it?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Bought a Bronco 1:35th Valentine Mk.IX. I think this kit has the most parts out of any that's I've ever bought, there is literally no room for any more parts in the box. They even put the track links inside the hull tub to make the most out of the room they had.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Smoke posted:

They label them as level 3 with that part count? Although I shouldn't really be surprised, Revell's difficulty level never made that much sense and seems to start at 3 for everything that's not an EasyKit. Looks like the scale is all over the place too.

I have a level 5 Apollo craft with interior, that's like 70 parts. I think the Level 5 stems from the fact that absolutely nothing fits (it's a reissue of a 1970 Monogram kit) and you have to pretty much chop the entire thing up and refit third party resin and PE parts to make it look anywhere near decent.

Viccy Cross section update: orlop deck coming along fine. Gonna build and throw some sea chests in there, add some details to the pump well and I'm just about half done with the kit.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

makka-setan posted:

Thanks man! And thanks to the others that commented too!

Since putting it together more pieces have cracked and the whole walker is falling apart. Will definitely have to re-do everything on a new kit. And I will try to go 100% acrylic in the future, I'm rage quitting enamel.

But on a positive note I ordered a cheap AS186 compressor (with a "free" (probably awful) airbrush).

Is Vallejo Air ok for regular brush painting? Maybe I'll buy one of those starter kits with 10-20 colors and maybe add some varnishes.

Vallejo air is fine, it needs little to no thinning. I've started switiching to mr. hobby aqueous and tamiya due to ease of use, just not with their thinner but with mr. color leveling thinner since they aren't true acrylics like vallejo.
Whatever you do, don't use isoprop on vallejo paints for thinning, they tend to clog or fall apart for some reason; go with windex/water instead. Or use their thinner which actually works best.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Luminaflare posted:

Whoops. Put the elevator on upside down.

Oh well.

Also has anyone elses landing gear snapped as soon as you snipped them off the sprue?

edit: I AM NOT GOOD AT GLUE

To avoid canopy fogging I use carpenter's glue. It dries clear and leaves no vapors around.

You could also try UV glue, but you'll need a UV light keychain thing to activate it, the japanese are crazy about it https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10249151?term=pc

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ensign Expendable posted:

Bought a Bronco 1:35th Valentine Mk.IX. I think this kit has the most parts out of any that's I've ever bought, there is literally no room for any more parts in the box. They even put the track links inside the hull tub to make the most out of the room they had.

Bronco are one of the best kit manufacturers out there. This'll probably be a beautiful build. Complex, but beautiful.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ka0 posted:

To avoid canopy fogging I use carpenter's glue. It dries clear and leaves no vapors around.

You could also try UV glue, but you'll need a UV light keychain thing to activate it, the japanese are crazy about it https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10249151?term=pc

Model Masters makes a "clear parts cement" that seems to work pretty well. Just throwing out another option.

VVV :staredog: holky poo poo

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 17, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Melted/Blasted skin effects via tinted tile caulking. Just need to add some blood and sooty laser burns now.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Whoah! What scale is that?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Molentik posted:

Whoah! What scale is that?

Looks like 1::stonk:th

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NTRabbit posted:

Looks like 1::stonk:th

More like. :unsmigghh:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Bronco are one of the best kit manufacturers out there. This'll probably be a beautiful build. Complex, but beautiful.

Yup, looking forward to it, looks like some quality stuff despite the Engrish instructions. This is going to be the most expensive (pre-aftermarket) kit I've ever done.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Melted/Blasted skin effects via tinted tile caulking. Just need to add some blood and sooty laser burns now.

Is that from the mars attacks kit? It should be, if not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

makka-setan posted:

That's no model, it's a space ship! For realsies.

What scale is it?

Close to 1/48th I believe, its freaking huge :)