Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well lets see what's so good about Erased.

Oh.

Huh... :suspense:

Dammit AnimeLab, upload the second episode already :f5:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well lets see what's so good about Erased.

Oh.

Huh... :suspense:

Dammit AnimeLab, upload the second episode already :f5:.
Crunchyroll loves you and is completely legit! Only problem is you might get a bad translation!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ajin is disappointingly ugly. I enjoyed the 4 volumes I read of the manga, but the animation feels so choppy and rigid that I just want to turn it off. Guess Sanzigen won this round of 3DCG anime.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Crunchyroll is removing free user access to old shows, in Canada only? I vaguely assumed US & Canada licenses were tied together and it would effectively not cost them any more to include Canada, but I guess it does.

e: well, that or they just want a way to squeeze a bit more money out of Canadians because their money isn't worth as much

Polsy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 15, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Polsy posted:

Crunchyroll is removing free user access to old shows, in Canada only? I vaguely assumed US & Canada licenses were tied together and it would effectively not cost them any more to include Canada, but I guess it does.

e: well, that or they just want a way to squeeze a bit more money out of Canadians because their money isn't worth as much

Makes sense to me. Exchange drops and they need more from their Canadian base, but don't want to charge Premium members more. You'd think they'd have a fallback for Free members who aren't into currently airing shows, though—maybe a rotation of one or two free shows at a time.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Active Raid was a whole buncha nonsense, couldn't make it thru more than ten minutes of either episode. I feel bad for its soundtrack, cuz it deserves such a better show. Grimgar is sumptuously animated, but that awful, long-winded conversation that closed the pilot nearly obliterated all the goodwill the rest of it earned. Erased is cool tho, and is rapidly looking like the one thing I'll be watching.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't get over Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū. It's gorgeous and smart and funny and tragic. Soundtrack is tight. You need to be watching this.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Pootybutt posted:

Active Raid was a whole buncha nonsense, couldn't make it thru more than ten minutes of either episode. I feel bad for its soundtrack, cuz it deserves such a better show.

One of the taglines for the show was something like "bye-bye, common sense" so...it's your loss, as I'll get to hear the whole soundtrack. :v: Speaking a little more seriously, I get that this won't be everyone's jam. Fine. It's tied to a specific and formulaic genre, plus one which is both cheesy and old-fashioned at that. But I've enjoyed it as light entertainment and expect to continue to do so. With that in mind, I liked some of the character stuff in episode 2 and the silly gags are amusing.

quote:

Grimgar is sumptuously animated, but that awful, long-winded conversation that closed the pilot nearly obliterated all the goodwill the rest of it earned. Erased is cool tho, and is rapidly looking like the one thing I'll be watching.

The first of those has nice animation and all, but it would be a lot more interesting to me if I were in the mood for some light medieval fantasy. Not right now, though maybe later in the year. As for the other, it's definitely one of the better things this season. Can't really go too wrong with that (unless the original ending sucks, since the anime is apparently going to be faithful).

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Pootybutt posted:

Grimgar is sumptuously animated, but that awful, long-winded conversation that closed the pilot nearly obliterated all the goodwill the rest of it earned.

Really? Ranta is an insensitive rear end who said something stupid and everybody else treats him like it for doing so. It's not like they had a round table over it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

I can't get over Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū. It's gorgeous and smart and funny and tragic. Soundtrack is tight. You need to be watching this.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
How's the animation in the second episode of Rakugo? Any of Deen's trademark quality animation?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
looked fine to me :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Reds posted:

Really? Ranta is an insensitive rear end who said something stupid and everybody else treats him like it for doing so. It's not like they had a round table over it.

Literally no one likes that dude but they won't ditch him because he would swiftly die if left alone.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Reds posted:

How's the animation in the second episode of Rakugo? Any of Deen's trademark quality animation?

It's a show that doesn't require a lot of dramatic animation due to the nature of its story, so I imagine it avoids that particular pitfall. If anything, Deen's been doing a good job on animating the subtle expressions on the face and movements since that's the real important thing to animate.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Reds posted:

We must've watched a different show, then, cause I spent the whole scene wondering why they don't just tell the simpering loser to shut up. It just. Keeps. Going.

wielder posted:

One of the taglines for the show was something like "bye-bye, common sense" so...it's your loss, as I'll get to hear the whole soundtrack. :v: Speaking a little more seriously, I get that this won't be everyone's jam. Fine. It's tied to a specific and formulaic genre, plus one which is both cheesy and old-fashioned at that. But I've enjoyed it as light entertainment and expect to continue to do so.

Eh. It failed to get me to care about the characters or the worldbuilding, the things that typically keep me anchored to Taniguchi's mile-a-minute pacing style. I usually stick up for The Gooch, but this show makes my eyes glaze.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 16, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
PSO 2 continues to be a tire fire that just can't make its mind up about what it wants to be; Does it want the mysterious transfer student (Who they nick name AIAi because apparently the one thing they want to do in every episode is slip in a Hidden Mickey Sega Reference) to "secretly" be from the digital world? Does it want to be a drama about this kid getting caught in an argument between the Student Council and the higher ups who "Just don't get it" regarding PSO2 or does it want to be a screwball comedy where the transfer student barely understands social convention, the ojou student president is the best solo player in PSO2 and the Student Council is a bunch of wierdos who have meetings upon which the subject of "Cross Dressing pagents" are brought up?

It's a shame it couldn't decide to be just one thing: good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why on earth did you think that a phantasy star online anime would be good? it is like sticking your hand in a backed up toilet and then being shocked when you come out with a handful of poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

why on earth did you think that a phantasy star online anime would be good? it is like sticking your hand in a backed up toilet and then being shocked when you come out with a handful of poo poo.

While I agree with the general principle, it does sound like this one has come up with surprising new ways to be poo poo even by video game anime standards.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's not even a digital world, it's super real

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I know, but even by video game anime standards this is poo poo and, dammit, I still remember a time where this franchise meant Red Ring Rico, The End of the Millennium and the ending to PS2.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 16, 2016

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

PSO2 the anime is amazing in that it's every single high school anime trope played straight while being incredibly shameless about the product it's advertising. I could mute the whole thing and still understand it all.
I can't wait for Sega to tie this bullshit into the actual game's plot in a couple months.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know, but even by video game anime standards this is poo poo and, dammit, I still remember a time where this franchise meant Red Ring Rico, The End of the Millennium and the ending to PS2.
Well at least PSO2 has remixed End of the Millenium music now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R39FuQXuN8M

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

PSO 2 continues to be a tire fire that just can't make its mind up about what it wants to be; Does it want the mysterious transfer student (Who they nick name AIAi because apparently the one thing they want to do in every episode is slip in a Hidden Mickey Sega Reference) to "secretly" be from the digital world? Does it want to be a drama about this kid getting caught in an argument between the Student Council and the higher ups who "Just don't get it" regarding PSO2 or does it want to be a screwball comedy where the transfer student barely understands social convention, the ojou student president is the best solo player in PSO2 and the Student Council is a bunch of wierdos who have meetings upon which the subject of "Cross Dressing pagents" are brought up?

It's a shame it couldn't decide to be just one thing: good.

It has made up its mind on what it wants to be. Everything about it says: Here is a game. It is SO GOOD. In fact the school wants it banned because it is SO GOOD that grades slip. The students want to prove that this game, which is SO GOOD, doesn't affect grades and can teach important lessons such as how to not be a noob scrubcommunicate. Also there are concerts in game. Did I mention that PSO2 is SO GOOD?

Why Japan? Why do this to the Phantasy Star franchise? :negative:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I am so glad that I'm not the only one who saw it and was amazed at just how uniquely bad the PSO2 anime is. I think what sold the sheer dick-sucking propagandistic elements to me was the 3-minute dialogue free montage showing just how huge and luxurious and mall-like Seiga Academy is, and the student council president longingly looking at kids playing video games, saying she was worried about such a sight disappearing from the campus.

_____: the Animations are usually bad and barely justify their existence beyond being a promotional retelling of the property, but somehow this one has taken its purpose to such an extent that it actually became the form and content of the series itself. It's almost impressive.

Otherwise Rakugo and Erased are amazing and I'm recommending them to everyone. Also, Rakugo is DEEN?! Did they just hire on decent contractors for this one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

It has made up its mind on what it wants to be. Everything about it says: Here is a game. It is SO GOOD. In fact the school wants it banned because it is SO GOOD that grades slip. The students want to prove that this game, which is SO GOOD, doesn't affect grades and can teach important lessons such as how to not be a noob scrubcommunicate. Also there are concerts in game. Did I mention that PSO2 is SO GOOD?

Why Japan? Why do this to the Phantasy Star franchise? :negative:

So it's Build Fighters Try bad?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So it's Build Fighters Try bad?

its so good

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Neeksy posted:

_____: the Animations are usually bad and barely justify their existence beyond being a promotional retelling of the property, but somehow this one has taken its purpose to such an extent that it actually became the form and content of the series itself. It's almost impressive.

:v:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ping Pong is excluded from my critique here, clearly. I don't know why they went with that title since manga adaptations usually don't carry "the animation", unlike video games and such.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

PSO2 is an anime designed to sell the videogame. The way it will be judged is if it moves sufficient units/subscriptions/whatever of the game to cover the cost of making the anime. It's not supposed to be art, it's an advert.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I haven't watched them, since I intended to play the games, but I had the impression that the Persona3/4 shows were generally well-regarded? Was I mistaken? I'm probably judging this based on my nephew who hasn't ever liked anything I've recommended to him, and preferred the TTGL dub to the sub, so it might just be a case of stupidity.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

I haven't watched them, since I intended to play the games, but I had the impression that the Persona3/4 shows were generally well-regarded? Was I mistaken? I'm probably judging this based on my nephew who hasn't ever liked anything I've recommended to him, and preferred the TTGL dub to the sub, so it might just be a case of stupidity.

The persona 4 anim is a rare example of a (non visual novel) video game adaptation in recent times that has actually been good - even then I think "the golden" had a mixed response.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Golden had a mixed response because it's so weird - it's an anime adaptation of only the bits that are in P4G and not Persona 4, which is also designed as a NG+ run through the game. The P4 show was a good adaptation of the game and didn't require you to have played it, whereas The Golden basically does.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

PSO2 is an anime designed to sell the videogame. The way it will be judged is if it moves sufficient units/subscriptions/whatever of the game to cover the cost of making the anime. It's not supposed to be art, it's an advert.
So was Build Fighters and that was the best gundam thing in years.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This week's Heavy Object was gorgeous, visually-speaking. I don't know if they hired on a different backgrounds/animation team or what, but they definitely kicked things up a notch with regard to the level of detail.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
BBK 2 - I'll tell you what, I'm really interested in seeing where this goes. Obou gives me a real SymBotic Titan feel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

The persona 4 anim is a rare example of a (non visual novel) video game adaptation in recent times that has actually been good - even then I think "the golden" had a mixed response.

There's also Rage of Bahamut, which I'd call a once-in-a-lifetime surprise if they weren't working on a second season.

Speaking of, the high-school slice-of-life spinoff (as often seems to be the case with high-school slice-of-life spinoffs) looks likely it may be remarkably gay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BBK might actually be a decent super robot show? It could do with a lot less people talking mysteriously about mysterious stuff but, outside of the eh CGI characters, looks pretty spectacular.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

There's also Rage of Bahamut, which I'd call a once-in-a-lifetime surprise if they weren't working on a second season.

Speaking of, the high-school slice-of-life spinoff (as often seems to be the case with high-school slice-of-life spinoffs) looks likely it may be remarkably gay.

Huh, I actually thought this was the thing with Bahamut in the title from the current season.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
the pso2 anime is bad but hopefully in a few episodes these guys might start showing up:

EDIT: but yeah this is what the pso2 anime is supposed to be building up to

however long it takes is another story

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 16, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did CR gently caress up? That Garakowa 'movie' thing they just added is like 7 minutes long and ends right in the middle of a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Did CR gently caress up? That Garakowa 'movie' thing they just added is like 7 minutes long and ends right in the middle of a scene.

It's 66 minutes for me, maybe they fixed it already

• Locked thread