Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All you guys need is a biochem department.
Jesus how much are they paying you.

I know it's not (as) much (as it should be), Chemist job market :smith: It's why I bailed off my course.

I didn't because it's supremely boring and I hate to explain it but usually it ends up as something like:
Because this molecule is rotated around this point in this certain way, it does not work! But if it was rotated this way you're dead!
Example: LSD has 4 stereoisomers, only one is active, the rest do absolutely gently caress all even if you ate a gram.

(I absolutely hate explaining chirality/steroisomerism so please no)

Chirality's pretty cool but you really need a full course in organic chemistry to appreciate it. One post won't do it justice.

There's money in chemistry you just need to break out of the instrument jockey jobs which uh isn't easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Mortimer posted:

Nothing I do is as dangerous as like...Jimmie Oxleys group at URI. One of the people I work with from there taught me to make small batches of C4 which didn't even phase him because he was used to making it by the kilo

C4 is actually pretty nice and stable. You can set it on fire and it'll just burn like wax.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You might want to leave the room, or at least wear a gas mask, after setting the fire though, because I'm sure it will poison the gently caress out of you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nitroglycerin is, of course, an explosive. It's also a standard treatment for angina, where it acts as a potent vasodilator. I always wondered, how is it rendered nonexplosive? Or do angina sufferers just live with walking around with a pocket full of boom?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phy posted:

Nitroglycerin is, of course, an explosive. It's also a standard treatment for angina, where it acts as a potent vasodilator. I always wondered, how is it rendered nonexplosive? Or do angina sufferers just live with walking around with a pocket full of boom?

It's less than half a milligram per pill for most patients. That's not much boom.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kwyndig posted:

It's less than half a milligram per pill for most patients. That's not much boom.

And the pill itself is bigger than that, and contains a lot of inert non-booming binder materials. If you took a pound of seriously explosive nitroglycerin and distributed it across a matrix of 1000 lbs of concrete, it's not going to go boom no matter how hard you kick it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Carroll Shelby famously won the 1959 24 Hours of Le Mans with a nitroglycerin tablet under his tongue the whole time - probably the least dangerous thing he was doing, all told.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

C4 is actually pretty nice and stable. You can set it on fire and it'll just burn like wax.

C4 is fantastic stuff. Not shock or burn sensitive, just detonates on high energy sparks and other explosives, both of which we have in spades, but if you're careful it's fine.

The cool part is seeing it and thinking wow if this alligator clip hits the petn the building is leveled.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Mortimer posted:

C4 is fantastic stuff. Not shock or burn sensitive, just detonates on high energy sparks and other explosives, both of which we have in spades, but if you're careful it's fine.

The cool part is seeing it and thinking wow if this alligator clip hits the petn the building is leveled.

I really enjoyed a GIP thread about stupid stuff people saw in service. Someone posted a story of a bragging match between two dudes from different special units that ended with one of them eating C4 just to prove how tough he was. He came down with vomiting, seizures and other central nervous system symptoms, but apparently the guy lived.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That happens often enough that the toxicity of C4 and the treatment of C4 poisoning are quite extensively documented. People are dumb.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I really enjoyed a GIP thread about stupid stuff people saw in service. Someone posted a story of a bragging match between two dudes from different special units that ended with one of them eating C4 just to prove how tough he was. He came down with vomiting, seizures and other central nervous system symptoms, but apparently the guy lived.

Let's Talk About Idiots is at the same time the best and worst thread in the forums. The stories about the pure idiocy are amazing but the ones about the guys getting cheated on and child molestation are less so. Also if you read it, remember it's Goons in Platoons and they have a different take on what is acceptable language than the rest of us.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I thought the story was he ate the C4 to get out of PT or some nonsense.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

I thought the story was he ate the C4 to get out of PT or some nonsense.

There have been enough idiots in the military that this is probably also true. Read the thread, and be in awe that some of these people think they are america's best and brightest (america doesn't offer up very much and never did these days).

e: Also in there: someone running over C4 daisy-chained with detcord (called a MCLC, used for clearing lanes through a mine field) with a Bradley fighting vehicle just after someone had fired it and still had their hand on the detonator. They were supposed to wait for the MCLC to go off and clear a lane through the simulated minefield, but the LT in charge of the vehicle got overly excited and decided he couldn't wait.

Icon Of Sin has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Jan 16, 2016

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Memento posted:

Let's Talk About Idiots is at the same time the best and worst thread in the forums. The stories about the pure idiocy are amazing but the ones about the guys getting cheated on and child molestation are less so. Also if you read it, remember it's Goons in Platoons and they have a different take on what is acceptable language than the rest of us.

Is this a trigger warning?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Is this a trigger warning?

Lol

No, just most civilians don't really have a frame of reference for how high the bullshit gets piled in the armed forces, and just how loving horrifying things can get, so they might think that things like the "X CURES Y" usernames and such aren't appropriate, when in fact they're actually the best way to cope with the poo poo you've seen/had to put up with.

This isn't the thread to discuss that poo poo though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phy posted:

Alfred Nobel became rich (and endowed a bunch of prizes you've heard of) by figuring out that nitroglycerin could be rendered safe(r) by soaking it into diatomaceous earth. It would still explode, but now needed a detonator - it lost its shock sensitivity. Shipping cases of dynamite (Nobel's name for it, a play on "diatomaceous") on trains to mines was a whole lot safer than shipping pure nitroglycerin.

The point is that nobody uses straight nitro, it's always adsorbed into some binder that attenuates its shock sensitivity. It might be possible to make a nitroglycerin pill explode using some rather extreme measures, but the amount of nitro per pill is quite small so the pop will be disappointing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Use a drop tower.

Granted the drop has to be quite large
And just yhe sound of the impact would carry more energy yhan the resultant pill explosion

But eh

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Jan 16, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the early 20th some criminals would boil dynamite in order to extract the liquid nitroglycerin. This could be poured into the lock in order to crack a safe. Of course now you're carrying liquid nitro around with you. (This is a Bad Idea).

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

In the early 20th some criminals would boil dynamite in order to extract the liquid nitroglycerin. This could be poured into the lock in order to crack a safe. Of course now you're carrying liquid nitro around with you. (This is a Bad Idea).

I remember cleaning out the shed after my grandfather died and discovering a box of sweating dynamite. The following day or so was Exciting™.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/good_samaritans_who_were_hosed.html#incart_2box

quote:

Two Good Samaritans have secured a nearly $100,000 settlement after they were exposed to a neurotoxin when they stopped to help a crashed semi-truck driver, then had to strip naked and get hosed down in freezing temperatures in the middle of Interstate 84.
:stonk:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

I remember cleaning out the shed after my grandfather died and discovering a box of sweating dynamite. The following day or so was Exciting™.

give the deets

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well dynamite 'sweats' pure nitroglycerin... so he probably had to call the cops or the fire department.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mortimer posted:

One of the people I work with from there taught me to make small batches of C4 which didn't even phase him because he was used to making it by the kilo
I know C4 is really stable, but does it go through any "cough and you die" step when you make it?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuO14OgTEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDbIzovuos

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jan 16, 2016

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Kwyndig posted:

Well dynamite 'sweats' pure nitroglycerin... so he probably had to call the cops or the fire department.

Look at this guy. It's so precious. Call the police or fire department. Hahahahahaha.

No, no. Not at all. No!

We lugged the box out into the middle of a field on the property and shot at it with a rifle for a little while.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Exit Strategy posted:

Look at this guy. It's so precious. Call the police or fire department. Hahahahahaha.

No, no. Not at all. No!

We lugged the box out into the middle of a field on the property and shot at it with a rifle for a little while.

Rural life. :allears:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

No, no. Not at all. No!

And I imagined that it looked like that scene in Lost :allears:

I find it amusing as well, that you can ingest C4 (or mercury for that matter) and you will live (albeit you'll get poisoned). Are there any other dangerous substances that you can eat?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

canis minor posted:

I find it amusing as well, that you can ingest C4 (or mercury for that matter) and you will live (albeit you'll get poisoned). Are there any other dangerous substances that you can eat?

All of them, pussy. :colbert:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Deteriorata posted:

Alfred Nobel became rich (and endowed a bunch of prizes you've heard of) by figuring out that nitroglycerin could be rendered safe(r) by soaking it into diatomaceous earth. It would still explode, but now needed a detonator - it lost its shock sensitivity. Shipping cases of dynamite (Nobel's name for it, a play on "diatomaceous") on trains to mines was a whole lot safer than shipping pure nitroglycerin.

The point is that nobody uses straight nitro, it's always adsorbed into some binder that attenuates its shock sensitivity. It might be possible to make a nitroglycerin pill explode using some rather extreme measures, but the amount of nitro per pill is quite small so the pop will be disappointing.

What about super villains storing whole crates of the stuff in their warehouses?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

canis minor posted:

Less "waggling a stick of sweaty dynamite" and more "wow, that's a pretty big hole. Think gramma's gonna be pissed?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Avenging_Mikon posted:

All of them, pussy. :colbert:
The famous saying is the dose makes the poison so we'd need to specify what dangerous even means unless we all want to take turns talking about how we took our lives into our own hands last time we had a beer.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
A beer!? I refuse to drink water because I'm terrified of water intoxication. People die from it you know!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Keiya posted:

A beer!? I refuse to drink water because I'm terrified of water intoxication. People die from it you know!

Beer has a built in safety mechanism of reducing your intake rate as you get more intoxicated. As well as a well-understood purge system.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

canis minor posted:

Nitrocellulose appears to be fairly safe to eat, biologically speaking - you could probably eat enough to blow up an incinerator toilet without much in the way of side effects. (I found an MSDS that claimed 2g/kg produced no effect at all in rats.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Computer viking posted:

Nitrocellulose appears to be fairly safe to eat, biologically speaking - you could probably eat enough to blow up an incinerator toilet without much in the way of side effects. (I found an MSDS that claimed 2g/kg produced no effect at all in rats.)

you've invented Exploding poo poo

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

atomicthumbs posted:

you've invented Exploding poo poo

Pff, taco bell did that years ago

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chipotle is busy reinventing it using E. coli right now :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

What if it goes boom the moment it lands in your stomach?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Next level pop rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, pretty sure that, since cellulose is a long-chain molecule that the human body can't break down, it can't break down nitrocellulose either.