Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Molentik posted:

Whoah! What scale is that?

Hard to say, they box doesn't really give a scale. I'd guess it's somewhere around 1:8. That head is about 1.5" tall.

Dr. Phildo posted:

Is that from the mars attacks kit? It should be, if not

Yep! I'm waiting on some new paints to do the martians armor, so in the mean time I've really be going whole-hog on the base and victim. It's really coming out nice so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Is it common for the scale of models to be way off or is it just sci-fi stuff that suffer from that? The scale of the X-wing and TIE fighter should be almost identical but the TIE is way off.

Say hello to today's space fighter pilots. On the right we have Steve, a 1:112 scale X-wing pilots who likes fast ships, blowing up stuff and inter-species romance.

On the right we have Magnus, a 1:110 scale TIE Fighter pilot who likes to stomp puny human houses and rip other space vehicles to pieces with his ginormous muscular monster-body.

The X-wing scale is totally fine but the TIE fighter is closer to 1:67 according to my measurements and wookiepedia info. The Falcon is more like 1:340, not 1:241. Come on Revell, this stuff shouldn't be that hard. I actually got the TIE and the X-wing because they were supposed to be the same scale and would look good next to each other.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Well, that whole war happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, so measurements are likely to be off depending on whose sides accounts of the war you find. People tend to exaggerate in how big the Big Bad is. Also units may not be the same as back then. What the hell is a cubit anyway?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

makka-setan posted:

I actually got the TIE and the X-wing because they were supposed to be the same scale and would look good next to each other.

If you want that, get the respective 1/72 Bandai kits. The ones Revell ran to Daddy Disney to sob about and get them to make Bandai stop exporting outside Japan (but can still be easily had through Amazon) because they were outselling Revell's by leaps and bounds.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want that, get the respective 1/72 Bandai kits. The ones Revell ran to Daddy Disney to sob about and get them to make Bandai stop exporting outside Japan (but can still be easily had through Amazon) because they were outselling Revell's by leaps and bounds.

Yeah, after building one of the Bandai kits I can't imagine an old Revell kit being even in the same ballpark as to quality. I had the MPC 1/100 AT-AT as a kid though, it was fun, but not what I'd call a great kit today.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just looked, Bandai has a 1/48 T-65 X-Wing with LEDs and motorised S foils that operate at the touch of a button on the stand :flashfap:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah there is a hobby shop right down the street from me. A quarter of the store is Bandai Star Wars stuff. The other three quarters are Gundam models, planes and tanks, and RC stuff.

Every time I go in I see people buying Star Wars stuff. Who knew it was so big in Japan?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah there is a hobby shop right down the street from me. A quarter of the store is Bandai Star Wars stuff. The other three quarters are Gundam models, planes and tanks, and RC stuff.

Every time I go in I see people buying Star Wars stuff. Who knew it was so big in Japan?

Star Wars has been marketed pretty heavily in Japan for at least a decade now. People who are 30+ have often not seen the movies at all, but it has been pushed hard in everything from fast food to variety shows on TV for a long time now.

When I checked Bic Camera last winter, the Star Wars section was maybe a third of the size of the Gundam kit section, and about the same size as the ship and tank section. And Japanese modellers seem to love their WW 2 ship models.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Melted/Blasted skin effects via tinted tile caulking. Just need to add some blood and sooty laser burns now.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rotten Cookies posted:

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

Marion, DON'T LOOK!

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Can any train wizards confirm this is a decoder chip?

It came wired in to the Fleischmann BR 50 (which, looks amazing, and weighs a ton). I have not tested it yet as my digital controller/power pack hasn't arrived yet, but I'm assuming it's a retrofitted decoder chip.

Day before it arrived, we assembled the first table and a DC test loop to mess around on, and I took a group photo of the locomotives.

Yes, that is a KV-1 Turret on a train.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Armoured trains were a thing and were very, very important in the Russian Civil War. Less so in WWII, but they were still around.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

N17R4M posted:

It came wired in to the Fleischmann BR 50 (which, looks amazing, and weighs a ton). I have not tested it yet as my digital controller/power pack hasn't arrived yet, but I'm assuming it's a retrofitted decoder chip.

Day before it arrived, we assembled the first table and a DC test loop to mess around on, and I took a group photo of the locomotives.

Yes, that is a KV-1 Turret on a train.

Oh man, that owns. I really want train nerds to make more tables with trains like these instead of quaint US 50s towns.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Sort of relevant: Even the UK did armoured trains. Though sometimes bureaucracy happened...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Romney,_Hythe_and_Dymchurch_armoured_train.jpg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Armoured trains were a thing and were very, very important in the Russian Civil War. Less so in WWII, but they were still around.

Did they have any use besides protecting the train from Apache raiders?

Wait, wrong civil war

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Brovine posted:

Sort of relevant: Even the UK did armoured trains. Though sometimes bureaucracy happened...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Romney,_Hythe_and_Dymchurch_armoured_train.jpg

New Zealand turned part of a train into armour, it's practically the same thing! :eng101:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Brovine posted:

Gonna propose some changes to Entertrainment Junction's little choo-choo ride...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I found some copies of a magazine called Air international from the early 1980s. Nautrally, they had a scale modelling column, which I had to share because 1) just look at it and 2) we live in a very good time for scale plastic things, this author, not so much.

The visual bit is color plates of a single aircraft in various camo schemes.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dave Concepcion posted:

I actually found a solution to this that worked really well, using pico-LED lights and a drop of candlewax:

just ordered an additional 20 LEDs since this was just proof of concept

the end result

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

makka-setan posted:

Is it common for the scale of models to be way off or is it just sci-fi stuff that suffer from that?

It happens more often than it should in all subjects but SF and fantasy, or really anything that never existed and is purely imagination, are especially prone to being off scale.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh man, that owns. I really want train nerds to make more tables with trains like these instead of quaint US 50s towns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jivsS5ZnLsk

They're quite popular in europe, mostly 60's-80's layouts are what I see frequently depicted, but the occasional history nut decides to make a model of occupied Holland.

Brovine posted:

Sounds like a H0e project to me. Maybe even H0f, putting this on the maybe pile.

Ensign Expendable posted:

And 1:87 models of them are drat hard to find. 1:72 or 1:76 pop up occasionally, but H0 scale is nigh impossible. The KV-1 draisine was one I stumbled upon on eBay by sheer luck, already built. No idea who actually made it though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How is layout formed? How plywood get track plan??

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

N17R4M posted:

Yep, almost certainly a retrofitted decoder.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baronjutter posted:

How is layout formed? How plywood get track plan??

The arcane symbol formed by your diagram is kind of aesthetically pleasing in and of itself. Clearly there is some odd train juju at work here.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

So I'm trying out some (unfinished) designs for sea chests. I need to find some inspiration for variations. It's surprisingly hard finding pictures of ones that are not either
- obviously entirely new,
- "replicas" grounded in the land of Fantasia or
- belonged to Scrooge McMoneypants

Anyone know a good resource for info on these?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Greyhawk posted:

So I'm trying out some (unfinished) designs for sea chests. I need to find some inspiration for variations. It's surprisingly hard finding pictures of ones that are not either

Googling "antique sea chest" or "wooden sea chest" may help find better results for you.

http://www.thepirateslair.com/authentic-nautical-furniture-nautical-home-furnishings.html
http://www.marlinespike.com/sea_chests.html
http://www.jpuwoodcarver.com/sea-chests/#.VpzzSBeV0WA
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/links.html
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sea-chest

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Greyhawk posted:

Antique web sites?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Antique, now how did i forget that word? Thanks everyone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, what is the current standard on brush on primer, and/or how to use it?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Iron Crowned posted:

So, what is the current standard on brush on primer, and/or how to use it?

I just use Vallejo surface primer and, uh, brush it on. You don't need to thin it or anything.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I just use Vallejo surface primer and, uh, brush it on. You don't need to thin it or anything.
Seconded. The grey primer is very useful.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Yo I didn't get a response in the minis thread, so I'll ask here- I've got a bottle of the white surface primer, could I add a little grey paint to it and still have it be a primer? would it change its properties at all?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dr. Phildo posted:

Yo I didn't get a response in the minis thread, so I'll ask here- I've got a bottle of the white surface primer, could I add a little grey paint to it and still have it be a primer? would it change its properties at all?

I would imagine so since you are basically diluting the primer. Why not just paint the gray over the primer if you don't have access to grey primer?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Id like fewer coats if possible. I can just buy a grey primer next time (picked up the wrong bottle, but it'll still get used)

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Would black pigment be an option? Not sure the powder stuff is fine enough to spray, but it should not change the properties of the binder in the primer.

Edit: I got the compressor and the cheap airbrush today, but no paints.

So I decided to mod the Millennium Falcon's top turret. Bottom turret in lieu of a before picture.

makka-setan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 18, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So on my previous layouts I've always just laid my track down on what ever surface my table is. This was mostly because the track was always supposed to be some urban industrial track or crappy branch line, never a big fancy perfectly ballasted main. It was also very noisy. So I'm finally putting down cork! It's fun, although it bubbled up in a couple spots that I had to cut out, trim down a couple mm, and re-lay with something heavy on top. Just need to glue better.

Another problem I had previously were trains derailing at the start of curves. This is one of the most common causes for derailments, as the coupler on the loco swings out as it enters the turn, but the car behind it still has its frame aligned straight it is pushed horizontally until it pops off the track. Light cars are much more susceptible to this, and locos with long butts and short couplers do a lot of yanking.

So I laid some track down with my most yanky loco and my most light fussy cars and did a test. With my current geometry the loco was yanking the car off the tracks, no good! The cork was already down though so I didn't have a lot of wiggle room, but it seems by moving the track to the very inner edge I was able to ease the curve at the start and prevent the problem. Always something to remember when laying track for model trains. It's better for example to have a curve that's 15" radius at the start and ends and pinches down to 12" at the middle than one that's 13.5" all the way through. Model trains can handle pretty tight turns so long as they are eased into and out of them!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Can we do an XB-70 for the next craplane?

E: So many options: http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Valkyrie doing aerobatic sucking-wingmen-into-its-vortices sounds pretty metal.

EDIT: Wait, never mind, the 104 drifted into it.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 19, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Only if I can do a build of one being blown up by a MiG-25 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Can anyone recommend a fineliner brand (available in the UK) that works on painted surfaces? I got started finelining the panels on my Lambda Shuttle and promptly killed two fineliners in a row before getting halfway through - and they clearly still have ink in, as my floor ably demonstrates where I was trying to shake some life into them!