Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i got my first yellow crest feather from a cocky :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
How many fingers did it cost you?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The dog found a dead one here the other day while out for a walk. I could have got a handful of crest feathers for you, albeit a bit slobbery.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

GoldStandardConure posted:

How many fingers did it cost you?

12, probably.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Pip pip pip posted:

What method of transportation are you using? Either way - letting him get used to his travel cage/carrier ahead of time would help. We've done cross-country flight with the birds and 10+ drives for moves with our birds. If Captain Conure is anything like Ozzy, get ready for a clingy screamy bird for a couple weeks after you move :stare: We've never had any issues with traveling. My birds really like looking out the windows in car rides and seemed to be okay/not panicked with a full day of airports/flying. I think Nugget was really enjoying all the compliments and attention she got from other travelers :3:

We are driving, moving our own stuff. I am going to actually set up her night cage in the car, with a little water and food. It is literally a cross country trip, so it'll be like 5 days.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYnv5aC8Sc&t=67s

Vicious bird savages a pine cone while peeping loudly.

http://i.imgur.com/w1Y9UwU.webm

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Pine cones are bird safe? I did not know that.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Yes, we have a large one with finger traps and other toys attached to it. Scout shreds the pine cone pretty good. We call it "her boyfriend."

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

SquadronROE posted:

We are driving, moving our own stuff. I am going to actually set up her night cage in the car, with a little water and food. It is literally a cross country trip, so it'll be like 5 days.

Cool! Well if it's a cage she already knows, it shoudl be fine. Just take out any dangly toys so they don't bash into her lol.

We moved from NY to WA back in the summer, but opted to fly instead of a 5 day drive because I'm super lazy. Good luck!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's about dogs but still one of the most accurate comics about moving with animals I have ever seen. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that is a pro-click lmao

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
All the Hyperbole and a Half pieces about dogs are great :D The ones about depression are pretty good too, though uhhhh in a different way.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 18, 2016

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
I put a new rope ladder in Olivers cage and now he's sitting in the corner closest to it looking terrified but singing happily to it but still trying his hardest not to touch this new strange thing. :derptiel:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Relative got a new friend, and sent me the video. Sorry its sideways, that was how it was recorded and I didn't have time to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWUOTw963Yo

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
For the first time in a very long time, the bird is playing with toys instead of alternating between sitting and preening. He has only squawked at a noise inside the house twice today, both times it was 1 squawk before he went back to what he was doing. Success!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

It's about dogs but still one of the most accurate comics about moving with animals I have ever seen. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html
The "YOU MAKE NOISE I MAKE NOISE WE MAKE NOISE TOGETHER" panels are the most accurate description of living with a parrot that I have ever seen.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
And right as I post he starts going off at hearing me the pan sizzle as I cook. :suicide:

Progress i guess?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Pine cones are bird safe? I did not know that.

make sure that you have given the bird the pine cone, if the bird finds the pine cone by itself it may drop the pine cone on your head which is very painful (you will not know it has the pine cone)

source: gaston

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 18, 2016

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Hmmm...why does this seem so familiar?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Pip pip pip posted:

Cool! Well if it's a cage she already knows, it shoudl be fine. Just take out any dangly toys so they don't bash into her lol.

We moved from NY to WA back in the summer, but opted to fly instead of a 5 day drive because I'm super lazy. Good luck!

When you flew with the bird-butt, did you get her her own seat or what? I'm pondering doing that because otherwise getting her into a hotel every night might be awkward and stressful. It'd be a 5 day drive.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Get a carrier that can go under the seat. Contact the airline as well to get their regulations

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Getting a second 'tiel some time this week. Already paid at the pet store, just need to prepare the home for another birb before picking him up. I hope Pion will get along with him.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Getting a second 'tiel some time this week. Already paid at the pet store, just need to prepare the home for another birb before picking him up. I hope Pion will get along with him.

Same cage or no? Do you have a specific birb paid for? :3:

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

I like being home today. :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Same cage or no? Do you have a specific birb paid for? :3:

A second cage, at the very least until they've got to know each other. And yep, a specific birb, he should even the about the same age as Pion, maybe 1 month difference or so.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
https://www.facebook.com/birdwithacharacter/videos/802574716519823/

little conure being a goof

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Some interesting body language here

Best bird

nielsm posted:

A second cage, at the very least until they've got to know each other. And yep, a specific birb, he should even the about the same age as Pion, maybe 1 month difference or so.

They'll probably just walk in and out of each other's cage anyway; Steve even does it to Inko's cage on occasion and has to be fetched. What colour will yours be?

schnickety scribe posted:

I like being home today. :3:

What a pretty birb :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

http://imgur.com/a/Ffam8
I'd hoped to catch him hanging head down chewing that toy...

Battle Pigeon posted:

They'll probably just walk in and out of each other's cage anyway; Steve even does it to Inko's cage on occasion and has to be fetched. What colour will yours be?

Yep, mainly to keep them separated while I'm out, for the first while. I'd be sad if I one day got home to a maimed bird.
New one is another plain gray. I'm sure I'll have fun telling them apart!

Probably picking him up on Wednesday.

E: New cage:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 18, 2016

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Pip pip pip posted:

Just an update on the birds-on-a-plane story in case the info helps anyone else. I called United Airlines today to ask what I need to do to bring my small birds in-cabin with me. Since I am staying within the continental US, apparently it will be very easy for me to bring the birds in cabin with me on a United flight :3: There are only a few restrictions on in-cabin bird travel within the continental US for United:

1) Carrier must fit under the seat in front of you (17.5" D x 12" W x 7.5" H)
2) Flights have a maximum number of pets allowed in-cabin, so make sure to indicate number of pets flying in-cabin with you when you make reservations
3) One pet per carrier (birds are an exception to this but I am bringing them in separate carriers)
4) One carrier per passenger (this is okay with me because I'm flying with my husband)
5) $125 fee per carrier per trip (i.e. you pay it twice for round way)

I am surprised and happy about this - I already have carriers that meet the qualifications! I'm going to make fabric slipcovers for the carriers to hopefully keep them a little calmer and also find nicer perches to put in the carriers since this is going to be a long flight. We'll also plan to provide juicy snacks (fruit/veg) to help keep them hydrated during the flight.

Here's my post re: flying with birds. I will add that TSA can ask you to remove the bird from its carrier for inspection- but we were not asked to do this. Definitely call the airline to ask for specific requirements.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Shamelessly stolen from imgur

http://i.imgur.com/3FEIILT.webm

:kimchi:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
a tiel-barrow ride

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wait nielsm, that looks like a really small fragile cage in the picture, so small in fact that he might break blood feathers if he tries to flap or start to pull feathers out in distress, but that might be a illusion created by the photograph, how big is it in real life? It's 6 weeks in quarantine for a new bird. Guide; http://www.beaknwings.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289&Itemid=440

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can I just say, people who smoke next to their parrots can just, gently caress right off? I was talking to someone I thought was a reasonable, intelligent person and then she commented that she smokes weed by her cockatiels all the time and they "don't mind." Asked if she meant vaping, hoping she did at very least, and nope. Nope.

Fuckass.

:madderptiel:

Also no current pictures of Judah because if he's out he's napping in the hood of my sweatshirt under my hair :3: I agree Judah, winter can just gently caress right off too.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you own a pet at all and not once think that drugs are almost definitely bad for it? Especially when its super common knowledge that even chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

learnincurve posted:

Wait nielsm, that looks like a really small fragile cage in the picture, so small in fact that he might break blood feathers if he tries to flap or start to pull feathers out in distress, but that might be a illusion created by the photograph, how big is it in real life? It's 6 weeks in quarantine for a new bird. Guide; http://www.beaknwings.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289&Itemid=440

I believe they sell that model of cage or one very like it at the store I get Skillet's toys at and it's bigger than it looks. The angle of the shot isn't doing it any favors.

New development:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you own a pet at all and not once think that drugs are almost definitely bad for it? Especially when its super common knowledge that even chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

Tons of animals including birds love to eat weed and do it all the time in the wild. The issue here is probably the smoking part since smoke is bad for birds and people.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

titties posted:

Tons of animals including birds love to eat weed and do it all the time in the wild. The issue here is probably the smoking part since smoke is bad for birds and people.

We had to start putting the bird in another room in the house whenever our old dealer was over, because he would go straight for the stash and try to eat it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

Though I would assume that whatever wild weed birds eat probably has nowhere near the concentrated THC levels etc of the stuff that's carefully cultivated and sold in retail/medical places.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Nah it's natural so it's gotta be good for you, and your birds too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Birb eating weed is almost certainly not a big deal. Birb inhaling smoke is absolutely a big deal. The ethics of getting an animal high are open to debate if you want, and it's weed so like it's probably impossible to harm even a bird with THC, but birds have extremely sensitive respiratory systems and should never, ever be exposed to smoke if at all possible.

I mean seriously, I'm not sure on the percentage, but I think it's like 20% of a bird's body space is air sacs.

Also all of the birb pics are impossible cute, I'll find some way to abuse Teeka tomorrow and post it on the internet :haw: