Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ensign Expendable is your go to guy for Zvezda stuff, he's got a whole bunch of kits posted across the length of the thread iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sparatuvs posted:

I just picked this up

I haven't put together a model since I was in middle school so this should be interesting.

Anyone have experience with this model, or zvezda in general?

No experience with particular kit, but new Zvezda planes are usually good to great. Avoid older kits, I have old Zvezda Su-37 and it's incredibly bad. Check out Scalemates for reviews, or at least look at release year.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

I just picked this up

I haven't put together a model since I was in middle school so this should be interesting.

It's literally the best third generation MiG-21 kit you can get and mine went together like a charm until I fouled up the canopy :(

In general modern Zvesda kits are outstanding value for money, and usually the best renditions of Russian/Soviet stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

sparatuvs posted:

I just picked this up

I haven't built a Zvezda plane since the mid-90s, but I built a fair bit of their other kits. The early stuff is crap, tons of flash, lots of cleanup to do. Mediocre detail then, actually worse now that the tooling wore down. The more recent stuff is much better, I'm very impressed with their figures.

I'm building a Zvezda T-72 right now, and it's pretty good quality, but clearly a "budget" kit. No interior aside from insides of the hatches, gun doesn't move, tracks are in lengths instead of individual links, but the detail is crisp and my only real complaint is that the barrel still comes in two halves and needs sanding.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 25, 2016

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Read back a poo poo load of pages just to see peoples cool models and saw those amazing hi-mock gundam models. Couldn't help picking one up because £8 from Japan with free shipping was too good to pass up :ohdear:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Nice, it's an incredibly high quality kit with a ton of parts for how little it costs.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of Mig21 models. What it with quite a bit of the ones that I have seen, especially the Revell one, having a nose cone that is very far back in the fuselage?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A question, thread: when did the Airfix revival begin? When it was bought by Heller or by Hornby?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It took me about a year to get trains looping on my last layout, managed to pull it off in about a month on this one! Of course this one's a basic flat loop. But still, I can loop trains!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mNbpfTv3RI

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of Mig21 models. What it with quite a bit of the ones that I have seen, especially the Revell one, having a nose cone that is very far back in the fuselage?

There were three generations of MiG-21. The first generation were day interceptors with only a simple gunnery ranging radar. The second generation and onward were full fledged all-weather interceptors, so they had more sophisticated fire control systems which necessitated a larger shock cone for the new radar. The Revell one is a MiG-21F-13, which was the last first generation Fishbed variant.

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!

Nebakenezzer posted:

A question, thread: when did the Airfix revival begin? When it was bought by Heller or by Hornby?

Hornby. I think there were a couple of kits planned or released towards the end of the pre-Hornby era (TSR2, Canberra, Nimrod), but it's only really since the takeover that they've been regularly releasing new toolings with the expected standard of engraved panel lines and detailed cockpits.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Forums Terrorist posted:

There were three generations of MiG-21. The first generation were day interceptors with only a simple gunnery ranging radar. The second generation and onward were full fledged all-weather interceptors, so they had more sophisticated fire control systems which necessitated a larger shock cone for the new radar. The Revell one is a MiG-21F-13, which was the last first generation Fishbed variant.

Oh. I never knew that. I am just so used to the large cone version. I guess I wont have to just ignore those variants then.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Some updates I guess.

HMS Victory Cross Section is now half done. Orlop just needs some more sea chests and buttresses, then the pumps can go in.

HMS Hood has finished the 2nd month of her projected 35 month build and is actually starting to resemble a ship in places. She is now a meter long and at about 3/4th of her final length, The stern will be built up next.

The metal steam engine has got her boiler and some more details on the smoke box door including a LED lamp and working lock. To open it one must crank the tiny handle.
This is just loosely put upon the undercarriage yet. There's not yet all supports in, which is why it looks a bit wonky. The firebox will go on next.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 26, 2016

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

So, this one goes out to all the ship modelers out there. How do you guys mask large scale camo patterns like dazzle camo on very uneven surfaces, like conning towers with lots of decks or funnels? do you mask and spray the whole ship at once, or break it down into subassemblies? and how do you get around accidentally spraying the deck? do you paint all the deck areas and mask them, or just try to angle the airbrush away from those decks?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Help me, thread! I bought a Revell Kaytusha a while ago, and during the assembly process discovered it had no tires. Sadly, this was after I put on the rims. I recently got Hussar resin (at least I assume it's resin) wheels, and my all purpose Krazy Glue that I usually use doesn't seem to hold, even after I held the wheels in place with Silly Putty. There's no nub at the end of the axle to attach them to, either, since I had to snip that off with the stock rims. How can I get the new wheels to stick?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

COOL CORN posted:

I decided to go with this set as a baby's-first-airbrush.

Is it going to suck? Maybe! But it'll help me learn how to airbrush so I can practice on this god awful (and huge!) B-25J.

I didn't even both painting the interior bits (cockpit, bombs, gun pods), I'm just glad this kit is over! Can't wait to get back to tanks.

I bought a compressor with an air tank and one of their airbrushes a while back. The compressor works pretty well but the airbrush was complete junk. I tried all 3 needles and various tweaks and I could not get a consistent spray pattern without sputter.

I ended up springing for a good Iwata airbrush and it works flawlessly.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

So, this one goes out to all the ship modelers out there. How do you guys mask large scale camo patterns like dazzle camo on very uneven surfaces, like conning towers with lots of decks or funnels? do you mask and spray the whole ship at once, or break it down into subassemblies? and how do you get around accidentally spraying the deck? do you paint all the deck areas and mask them, or just try to angle the airbrush away from those decks?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Ships don't have camouflage, they are wood, with cannons and sails. :colbert:

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Help me, thread! I bought a Revell Kaytusha a while ago, and during the assembly process discovered it had no tires. Sadly, this was after I put on the rims. I recently got Hussar resin (at least I assume it's resin) wheels, and my all purpose Krazy Glue that I usually use doesn't seem to hold, even after I held the wheels in place with Silly Putty. There's no nub at the end of the axle to attach them to, either, since I had to snip that off with the stock rims. How can I get the new wheels to stick?

Drill a hole in the axle, glue in a piece of proper diameter brass rod, trim to length as necessary. Voila, you have a new nub on the end of the axle to glue to.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

kaosAG posted:

Drill a hole in the axle, glue in a piece of proper diameter brass rod, trim to length as necessary. Voila, you have a new nub on the end of the axle to glue to.

This, and make sure you clean the resin, mold release agents etc will mess up the adhesion of CA. For a extra strong grip score the resin and the brass with a knife.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

kaosAG posted:

If you are a cheap bastard like me, you might even use some stuff lying around the house. I've successfully used the metal from cheap clothes hangers and inexpensive hanging wire for picture frames to pin stuff for models.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

All I can figure is leave it as subassemblies (sans deck) until you're ready to airbrush. Masking tape is all that works as it lets you go around all sorts of greeblies, and if you spray from the tape side you'll get away without having a perfectly good seal against the surface.

Eye balling the lines from the hull onto the superstructure isn't that bad. The different depths means you rarely see it perfectly side-on so slight irregularities aren't easily noticeable. I'm sure there's better methods, but :shrug:

Also avoid really complicated dazzle/splotchy patterns as gently caress that.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Subassemblies and lots and lots of masking. Ideally you're painting any above deck structures before they are ever mated with the decks and hulls

The correct answer is to not build ships that have camo patterns on above deck structures

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Ships don't have camouflage, they are wood, with cannons and sails. :colbert:

Except that time HMS Surprise camouflaged itself like a whaling ship.

Or all those merchant vessels who painted fake cannon ports on themselves.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

kaosAG posted:

Good idea, I'll try that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If you are a cheap bastard like me, you might even use some stuff lying around the house. I've successfully used the metal from cheap clothes hangers and inexpensive hanging wire for picture frames to pin stuff for models.
About ten years ago I bought a box of steel shirt pins for about two euro. Still have about half.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

Except that time HMS Surprise camouflaged itself like a whaling ship.

Or all those merchant vessels who painted fake cannon ports on themselves.

Fair points, but I wouldn't really call that camouflage so much as misdirection. They aren't trying to hide or make the ship harder to actually spot, they are trying to fool the observer into thinking that they are something different, either to lure people in close (Surprise) or to scare off would be attackers (fake gun ports).

Also, I was just trying to be a funny jerk since I have no idea how people get amazingly good splinter camo on more modern ship superstructures.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

Fair points, but I wouldn't really call that camouflage so much as misdirection. They aren't trying to hide or make the ship harder to actually spot, they are trying to fool the observer into thinking that they are something different, either to lure people in close (Surprise) or to scare off would be attackers (fake gun ports).

Also, I was just trying to be a funny jerk since I have no idea how people get amazingly good splinter camo on more modern ship superstructures.

You made me look something up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_camouflage#Early_use

Apparently the Romans did actually use camouflage on their ships.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

You made me look something up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_camouflage#Early_use

Apparently the Romans did actually use camouflage on their ships.

Cool, I did not know that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Got my new airbrush and put some acrylic thinned with water through it. Not uh... not great. Went onto the model (un-primed, just testing) like rain on a windshield, just kind of running in rivulets. Maybe I was holding it too close? Thinned to much? PSI too high? I was running around 30.

Should I not use water as a thinner in the airbrush? I'll probably pick up some Tamiya thinner in the next day or two.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sounds like a combo of all of those. The paint should be thinned to the consistency of milk. Shoot from about 6 inches away, at 15-20 psi. Very light coats as well. Make sure the model is clean as well, and not covered in mold-release agent.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Got my new airbrush and put some acrylic thinned with water through it. Not uh... not great. Went onto the model (un-primed, just testing) like rain on a windshield, just kind of running in rivulets. Maybe I was holding it too close? Thinned to much? PSI too high? I was running around 30.

Should I not use water as a thinner in the airbrush? I'll probably pick up some Tamiya thinner in the next day or two.

Sounds too thin. I usually shoot Tamiya acrylics thinned with water at 45ish with no problems.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

sparatuvs posted:

I just picked this up

That one is on my list. I've read it's the only mig21bis in that scale to get the shape right.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Well, a few months back I decided to get into scale modelling. So I bought a kid and some junk, and made a lot of mistakes, and then I remembered that SA has a thread for everything, and I've been lurking here and made a lot less mistakes. Please excuse the crap photos, and welcome to Airbase My Kitchen Table, with that Monogram F-4C kit that you've seen everywhere. Right now I'm working on an Eduard Mig-21 kit, which I'm going to do up in VNAF camo, and it's a night and day improvement in quality.

I'd say my biggest mistakes were using Testor's glue (got some good Tamiya stuff now) and crap quality brushes. And I learned a lot of stuff about how not to prime, seal gaps, paint, mask, put on decals, etc. So the next one will be better, in a month or two, and I'm looking forward to joining in the next crap build.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Biffmotron posted:

Well, a few months back I decided to get into scale modelling. So I bought a kid and some junk, and made a lot of mistakes, and then I remembered that SA has a thread for everything, and I've been lurking here and made a lot less mistakes. Please excuse the crap photos, and welcome to Airbase My Kitchen Table, with that Monogram F-4C kit that you've seen everywhere. Right now I'm working on an Eduard Mig-21 kit, which I'm going to do up in VNAF camo, and it's a night and day improvement in quality.

I'd say my biggest mistakes were using Testor's glue (got some good Tamiya stuff now) and crap quality brushes. And I learned a lot of stuff about how not to prime, seal gaps, paint, mask, put on decals, etc. So the next one will be better, in a month or two, and I'm looking forward to joining in the next crap build.

You've already got something down that I still struggle with and that's tempering unrealistic expectations of how your model is going to turn out. I make mistakes and shelf the kit out of frustration. My unfinished kit to built ratio is probably 10 to 1.

Great job on the build. It looks like you are starting with a strong grasp of the fundamentals. Time and experience will help you refine things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Biffmotron posted:

Well, a few months back I decided to get into scale modelling. So I bought a kid and some junk

:stonk:

Look, you gotta do the kit yourself. Its not a hobby if you're just gonna lock some kidnapped child in the basement and make them assemble it for you.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Looking very good!

In other news, Trumpeter announced a Type VII Uboat at the Nurmberg Toy Fair...

In 1/48....

With full interior....

Who wants to buy one of my kidneys? Only slightly worn from use, but still great value!

e: pics http://www.primeportal.net/models/nuremberg_2016.htm

Molentik fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 28, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Biffmotron posted:

The kid did a pretty good job, but I suggest doing your next kit independently.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Molentik posted:

In other news, Trumpeter announced a Type VII Uboat at the Nurmberg Toy Fair...

In 1/48....

With full interior....

:stare:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
This Bronco Valentine suspension is loving boss.

Shame the spring is plastic and not metal so it's a massive pain in the rear end to get off the sprue without breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

This Bronco Valentine suspension is loving boss.

Shame the spring is plastic and not metal so it's a massive pain in the rear end to get off the sprue without breaking.

Awesome!

Maybe you can make the springs in metal by wrapping some iron wire over a screw?