Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Pretty sure eight ace is sandi :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty sure eight ace is sandi :tinfoil:

Turns out we were Chris Roberts all along.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EminusSleepus posted:

do you own a ship ? are all employees mandated to buy a ship?

they will be paid in ships once the cash runs out

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Yeah I don't require a blood debt from any cig employees past or present, just refund people or at least an apology for being so lovely.

They couldn't refund 1 person in 10 even if they wanted to, most of the money has already been spent. I'd be surprised if they had more than 10-15 million left.

Even so, I didn't expect to see the wheels fall off the comedy bus so soon in 2016.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i still cant believe the pilot can blackout from g-forces while everyone else is perfectly fine. IMMERSION!

And what about the players hidden in crates? Added twist: in unsecured crates?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Einbauschrank posted:

And what about the players hidden in crates? Added twist: in unsecured crates?

hmm good point. i guess they will black out too since they are "piloting" the crate.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

They couldn't refund 1 person in 10 even if they wanted to, most of the money has already been spent. I'd be surprised if they had more than 10-15 million left.

Even so, I didn't expect to see the wheels fall off the comedy bus so soon in 2016.

How much longer does anyone reckon we'll see this project crash and burn?

And does anyone believe Chris or Sandi or anyone will ever apologise or acknowledge the disaster that is happening?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Yeah I don't require a blood debt from any cig employees past or present, just refund people or at least an apology for being so lovely.

I wouldn't mind getting a blood dept from CIG.

It looks wonderfully cheesy, but not wonderful enough to spend my own money on.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The last few pages were a ride. It's amazing how quick the favour of brown sea and reddit shitizens has turned. Even better if Crobber is blasé about all of this. I imagine the panic will set in sharpish if it begins to have a noticeable impact on funding.

Illegal Move posted:

What do you guys think of my website idea:
I'll probably do it with material design.
I'll have a section called "the pipeline" which will have a bunch of small cards that represent the promised features. Each card will have a very short overview of the promise, the source of the promise, a tl;dr of the current status of the promise and maybe an icon indicating if the promise has been fulfilled or not. These cards will be searchable and sortable. Also, each card will be have links to any articles posted about these cards, which leads me to the other major section of the website: Articles.
The articles section will be a blog type thing where authorized users can post articles and link them with the cards in the pipeline for organization.

I'm also thinking of having comments sections pretty much under every page and possibly a separate "leave your thoughts" page.

I'll probably throw together a first version of this tomorrow or over the weekend. Any ideas are welcome.

There should be a historical artifacts section, because there are things like the Beer email chain, Chris' meltdown letter and the numerous videos which should be catalogued and will be referenced by articles.

Also an image gallery containing the many excellent gifs and shops that have been posted. We may have lost some stuff from the stargur incident.

Your pipeline idea is interesting for highlighting the many and varied promises Crobber has made, but it would be helpful to also have a general timeline giving an overview of general happenings.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

How much longer does anyone reckon we'll see this project crash and burn?

And does anyone believe Chris or Sandi or anyone will ever apologise or acknowledge the disaster that is happening?

If they get to October 2016 without screwing up really badly or ending up in court, the funding bump from Citizen Con, November sale, December sale will see them into summer 2017. Personally I think that's the most likely end times period.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Their daily income is on a downward trend at the moment. I take it there was a sale recently though because holy poo poo they made over $100k per day on the 23rd and 24th.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
:caught up with the thread.gif:

Glorious. There aren't words to describe the turning. It's like waves of pure loving bliss washing across cocaine covered jpegs.

As for the chronological website: ChronoJam or one of the MWO nerds did a great one showing the ups, downs, and utter failings of :pgi: that would be perfect for this. Lays out in a nice interactive time line too.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EightAce if they fire you then don't sign the NDA. You don't have to. At least not here in the US.

They haven't because they're loving terrible at crisis management. Let's be honest about who is running the show:

- Chris Roberts, the guy who hosed this up and can't do poo poo about it because that would require him to admit he was wrong.
- Sandi Roberts, the best businesswoman in the world who is too busy answering CS tickets and working on side jobs (on the weekends of course) to do anything about it.
- Ben Lesnick, who is pathologically incapable of going against his Lord and Saviour, He Who Made Wing Commander, and would just insult people if he tried.
- Jared Huckabee, who is incapable of thinking for himself.
- David Swofford, who is apparently invisible.

They're paralyzed into inaction. Either they don't believe it's really a problem, don't care because money is still flowing in, or are so hopelessly inept that they cannot even for a viable response to unfuck the situation. And every moment they fail to act is just another buildup of angst and frustration. And the best part? They probably pissed off their own moderators too. Remember their primary line of defense against negative posting are the Elite Tier Spergs who adore this game and everything Roberts stands for. But guess what? They're people too. And if Chris hosed up that badly then it's entirely possible that they've lost a significant portion of the people they depend the most on to keep a lid on things.

I have been hearing that he's been having mean and rude email exchanges with media these past weeks over the Star Citizen coverage. I can't say when the latest incident took place, as that would mean outing sources due to the fact that they're reading these forums and will probably tell him that the media are still talking to Derek Smart. Then he'll go back to his emails and figure out who has been talking.

Now I'm starting to get pissed at him because all this time I was under the impression that he was on the outside of this farce looking in. It appears that I was wrong.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I started writing some basic notes about Star Citizen on a whim and that was three hours ago. Now I'm sitting on two thousand words just concerning possible things to talk about. I've gotta spend some time figuring out how to tackle something on such a scope, what angle to take it from, and how invested in this entire thing I want to be if I go through with this article. Opinions piece vs overview + informative. Laughing at the entire sorry state of affairs vs trying to inform, maybe help and predict how things will play out. Some strong comments and pieces about this are already out there, and I don't want to half-rear end this thing if I'm going to do it. I read this thread because it interests me, and it makes me laugh. Reading Gorn's posts though...is there more than just the laughs? I'm amazed that more folks haven't jumped on this story. I considered offering editing services but I figure I could do more good some way else.

I have yet to break out the notepad and pens to start doing some backtracking and information gathering, a large deal of that will be reading previous threads no doubt. Gotta get a clear idea of key players and the such so I can talk about this stuff accurately. Might have to ask a whole bunch of questions in one massive effort post, so we can gather information together. Still cautious about committing towards writing this piece, as the more cult minded of the star citizen saga will no doubt hound me in some way or another. It's a strange time we live in.

This thread is amazing and is an absolute gold-mine of content, be it in recipe form or otherwise. I hope I don't develop jpeg-lung from it all.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

There should be a historical artifacts section, because there are things like the Beer email chain, Chris' meltdown letter and the numerous videos which should be catalogued and will be referenced by articles.

http://partedveil.com/index.php?p=1&quote=4909192

I can't find the above post on the RSI forums, if you bookmark something with the full intention of enjoying it later you might want to consider keeping a locally stored screenshot. As we saw with imgur the same goes with archiving services, take down requests can be sent.

The video statements we can't do much about as there's too much crap to save.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Their daily income is on a downward trend at the moment. I take it there was a sale recently though because holy poo poo they made over $100k per day on the 23rd and 24th.

They get a bump on weekends, they did sell the scout thing.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Illegal Move posted:

I'll probably throw together a first version of this tomorrow or over the weekend. Any ideas are welcome.

All of this sounds fantastic.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mr.Tophat posted:

I started writing some basic notes about Star Citizen on a whim and that was three hours ago. Now I'm sitting on two thousand words just concerning possible things to talk about. I've gotta spend some time figuring out how to tackle something on such a scope, what angle to take it from, and how invested in this entire thing I want to be if I go through with this article. Opinions piece vs overview + informative. Laughing at the entire sorry state of affairs vs trying to inform, maybe help and predict how things will play out. Some strong comments and pieces about this are already out there, and I don't want to half-rear end this thing if I'm going to do it. I read this thread because it interests me, and it makes me laugh. Reading Gorn's posts though...is there more than just the laughs? I'm amazed that more folks haven't jumped on this story. I considered offering editing services but I figure I could do more good some way else.

I have yet to break out the notepad and pens to start doing some backtracking and information gathering, a large deal of that will be reading previous threads no doubt. Gotta get a clear idea of key players and the such so I can talk about this stuff accurately. Might have to ask a whole bunch of questions in one massive effort post, so we can gather information together. Still cautious about committing towards writing this piece, as the more cult minded of the star citizen saga will no doubt hound me in some way or another. It's a strange time we live in.

This thread is amazing and is an absolute gold-mine of content, be it in recipe form or otherwise. I hope I don't develop jpeg-lung from it all.

There's a lot to dig through. A good starting point might be to go three or four threads back and make a note of every relevant post. It's not a small task but there's been a lot of poo poo posted like links to vids, quotes etc.

I have pm'd gorf about collaborating on something. If people are interested we should take it to a Trello board or something.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 28, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Why would a publisher do that? What is there really to gain by this, when to date, we've seen nothing wonderous, nothing proprietary, nothing special in Star Citizen save for what they promise will come in their "in engine"' video ads?

DICE could build a better FPS with Spaceships in Frostbite from the ground up for half of what Chris has raised. With no liabilities, no promises to entitled whales expecting space planes that carry 100+ passengers and include cocktail serving minigames that would've been boring even in a CD-I title.

Bioware could add spaceship combat to Mass Effect: Andromeda (if they don't already have that planned) in Frostbite and deliver a better experience than Star Citizen as sold. They've got great lore, a built in audience, a world class shooter engine, and marketing people who actually know how market and merchandise.

Buying up the wreckage of this in bankruptcy is buying IOUs to hundreds of thousands of pissed off people, the most invested of which are used to being able to get the VP of Marketing on the phone when they're pissed, used to getting to hang around the offices and jawbone with the developers, used to having mods look the other way when they send phallus photos to female backers.

Yes, there is talent at CIG. It's not at the top, though-- it's in the middle. The main talent those at the top have is a talent for fleecing the gullible and the corporation their funds have helped build. Not exactly like picking up a Carmack in a buyout.

Publishers hate Star Citizen- they absolutely hate it. Because Chris Roberts pounded his chest and called them the enemy of great games, called them peddlers of uninspired unit shifters. He has gotten and continues to get much Gaming Industry love by striking his Punk Rock pose and flipping off the industry. He's called them the enemy of visionary developers, of fidelity and immersion, and worse-- and drawn a cult like devotion from people who buy into his false dichotomies and sky's the limit promises.

If this thing does crater one day, they will have no lifelines for Chris. They will not hover like vultures to pick the meat and marrow off of Star Citizen's corpse. They will leave it decomposing wherever it dropped, pop corks on champagne and watch as their upcoming games hit the market and are bought for $60 by the same folks still holding IOUs for spacepixels and dreams.

So Chris better get this to Minimum Viable Product while the getting is still good and the money still rolls in, because it's more likely he'll get a class action lawsuit than an industry bailout if he crash this thing.

...and taken over $100M out of gamers coffers. That hurts even more. Though most people don't even think about that part.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

There's a lot to dig through. A good starting point might be to go three or four threads back and make a note of every relevant post. It's not a small task but there's been a lot of poo poo posted like links to vids, quotes etc.

I have pm'd gorf about collaborating on something. If people are generally interested we should take it to a Trello board or something.

Agreed. I'll do my best to keep at this task, in one form of another, so I'll upgrade my forums account so I can actually use private messages and such. I'll be honest, I'm siding more towards an opinion piece than guiding folks through the maze of information out there, but I'll still have to reference some of the more dramatic fiascos that have occurred. No point wasting investigative effort.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

I wrote a long post and then deleted it. Its turning into Custers last stand and I just don't want to get people in trouble . I have already said to much I reckon and if people get in the poo poo because of whats discussed here and the very obvious source then that is nothing but bad.
I can highlight some stuff in bullet points but nothing at Derek Smart level of excitement
- A couple of very public faces have left CIG UK right under everyone's noses. This may be out there already . You will know who if you check ATV and all that bollocks and then see who doesn't appear anymore. Not actual game developers just CS monkeys but significant none the less. The old adage poo poo rolls down hill is never so true when you are involved with CIG ... B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed
- I know what they are currently concentrating on , it is simply unbelievable . I cant say what it is for obvious reasons but it is up there with the farming module. talk about fiddling while Rome burns .....
- All the jobs being advertised are legit and they are getting really desperate now to fill those positions. However they just cant and Mr Smart's blogs are being cited as the reason. if anyone is interested they are paying above industry standard but you might only have the job for another 12 months at best.
- The whole animation system is simply hosed. You are looking at a team of very competent animators working flat out for a year or two to get anything working properly.
- Sq42 looks absolutely stunning (The space bits) FP stuff looks like a PS1 game and no one seems to give a poo poo. However it is not a game, there is no game play or direction. Nothing just amazing graphics in an editor. The whole thing is in a constant state of flux and a dev cycle that was already floundering is now totally FUBARED because the emperor himself is taking a hand in it personally. Some big news outlets have been in there recently doing all sorts of walk around's and interviews.
- All the hilarity and fallout from 10ftc, Starmarine being cancelled and the reddits etc have caused absolutely no concern whatsoever. Literally no one gives a gently caress. The attitude is , ' Its just noise let them have their fun we know better'. Chris in particular is totally detached from it all

The other stuff I cant talk about at the moment because it will be so obvious where its coming from

I bet the part that you can't talk about is probably related to what I hinted at the other day

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/692136062471249920

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much it cost to cast Harrison Ford.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

chaosbreather posted:

You know people in this thread often call the Star Citizen dream impossible for technical reasons, but I don't think that's the case. There are no real intractable problems that I've seen so far that couldn't be overcome theoretically.

Hundreds of them! With animals to hunt!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

D_Smart posted:

...and taken over $100M out of gamers coffers. That hurts even more. Though most people don't even think about that part.

Partly because they've got a number of people who threw thousand of dollars at them? Back when they hit a million "backers", the estimate came to about $90 per backer, even though that number was inflated because they counted free accounts and whatever, so the actual amount per backer was even higher, which is not really something normal in the video gaming world as far as I know?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Some interesting spycraft going on, that's for sure. Derek, when was the last time you read how to appropriately use and treat spies in the Art of War?

EightAce, be careful, protect yourself, but if you can, avoid a NDA.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Octopode, what do you think of the Star Marine stuff? Also can you spot any other RSI developer citizen profiles gone?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I'd guess his info will be the further staff departures. He seems to like to highlight those.

It's not. It's pretty damning stuff known only to less than five people; three of whom are at the top. Which leaves very little wiggle room to protect sources. Still trying to figure out a way around it. It's very - very - bad.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

The last few pages were a ride. It's amazing how quick the favour of brown sea and reddit shitizens has turned. Even better if Crobber is blasé about all of this. I imagine the panic will set in sharpish if it begins to have a noticeable impact on funding.

Also an image gallery containing the many excellent gifs and shops that have been posted. We may have lost some stuff from the stargur incident.

Your pipeline idea is interesting for highlighting the many and varied promises Crobber has made, but it would be helpful to also have a general timeline giving an overview of general happenings.

Alright, so I'm thinking the website will consist of:

Articles - these can reference items in pipeline and historical artifacts, can also be accesed through anything they reference (so for example when looking at an item in the pipeline, you can open any article that references that item)
Pipeline - all the promised things, sortable and searchable
Historical Artifacts - these can reference items in the pipeline
Timeline - basically a series of events displayed in a linear manner which can either be just free-form text or can also reference any/all of the above - articles, pipeline items, historical artifacts

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's very - very - bad.

But funny too right? Assuming you don't have any money in this and don't work there.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

D_Smart posted:

It's not. It's pretty damning stuff known only to less than five people; three of whom are at the top. Which leaves very little wiggle room to protect sources. Still trying to figure out a way around it. It's very - very - bad.

I am erect

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
TWO WEEKS

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

EightAce posted:

- All the jobs being advertised are legit and they are getting really desperate now to fill those positions. However they just cant and Mr Smart's blogs are being cited as the reason. if anyone is interested they are paying above industry standard but you might only have the job for another 12 months at best.

Who is citing them, prospective employees or Crobber & Co? I'm sure Derek's blogs have had some impact, but it can't be that alone. Like any industry, devs talk amongst themselves, and news about CIG's working conditions - not to mention the reputation they've garnered with their fundraising and general behaviour - will have made them poisonous.

They're gonna pay for that. Not only will they struggle with resources in the near term but it's going to cost them more to hire people and they may not be able to get too picky about their hires, further reducing the quality of their work. Though at this point they could just fill the offices with stray cats and get a less janky game from them walking over the keyboards.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

lol I had no idea this existed.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I bet the part that you can't talk about is probably related to what I hinted at the other day

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/692136062471249920

Come on, stop teasing, what is it?

Edit: just read the stuff about only 5 in the know - yeah that makes it tough to get the word out without damning someone :(

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

chaosbreather posted:

You know people in this thread often call the Star Citizen dream impossible for technical reasons, but I don't think that's the case. There are no real intractable problems that I've seen so far that couldn't be overcome theoretically. I think the real issue is its organisationally impossible, especially for Roberts. Huge scope needs a huge diverse workforce which gets exponentially harder to manage with each new member. You have to find a ton of people who are really passionate about a lot of really different things and then harness them properly. The director has to be some kind of management genius and a borderline polymath (and probably sociopath) themselves. Keeping that many people inspired, herded, without treading on anyone else's toes, that's where it gets impossible. That's the reason why so many indies have delivered so many more space games in the mean time: the management overhead for tiny teams is far easier to overcome. The only way I think something with the scope of Star Citizen could work is if it were like Minecraft, totally supported for free by talented sperglords who spend their lives on their own transforming the original kernel to something else entirely and shifting the burden of resolving conflicts to the end user.

I disagree. As a systems level engineer who has built massive games from the ground up, I can sum it all up to one word: CryEngine.

Other than that, yes, you are right. Star Citizen could be made - by the very same engineers there right now - if they built a custom engine for it. I outlined this in my now famous Interstellar Citizens blog.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

D_Smart posted:

I outlined this in my now famous Interstellar Citizens blog.

I am now un-erect

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
What could Very Very Bad be?

Cutting ships
Introducing a subscription for the PU
Sandi Gardiner leaving
Cutting back to one solar system
Cutting alien races
Moving SQ42 release to 2017
Limits on fish tank sizes
Only 1 alien language
The only pets are going to be cats
Cutting missions from SQ42
Cutting combat from ship boarding, you can board but you need a boarding pass
Change of Engine
Cutting the Professional-quality feature-length “Behind the Scenes of Star Citizen” documentary film.
Cutting Facial Capture System
No Space Plant
Xbox One.

AP fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 28, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

They had that Gillian Anderson / X-Files sale I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Sandi Gardiner leaving

I've only found out about this disaster yesterday and I know that this would be very, very good.

Not that it would help any, but still.

• Locked thread