Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Popular Human posted:

Ferrante chat: I liked when the entire Cerullo family won the reading competition because Lila stole all their library cards :3:

that will be the last adorable and charming thing to happen in the entire novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

CestMoi posted:

It's dull and I'm glad Gabriel Garcia Marquez died.
It's a real shame, he looked at the reflection of a stopped clock in a mirror and immediately died of symbolic toxicity. It's worse than the time Borges found a book that was an almost perfect (bar a single typo) retelling of his entire life and realized that he, too, was a man born of fire.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I had a hard time getting into Solitude first because it had the opaqueness of myth, with types instead of characters. But somehow the story did worm its way into my heart. The characters and Maconda weren't distant, but humanity pared down to its core. So I learned to appreciate both the book and mythology.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I recently finished Another Country by James Baldwin and I would say it is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Striking language, and a very honest and direct look at interracial relationships and bisexuality and people attempting to make a living through art in NYC in the 1950's which, for a novel published in 1962, is very rare. It's a very real feeling book and yet the city and its values has changed so much since that time that trying to superimpose it over the now is a very strange experience.

This is the first novel I've read by Baldwin though I've read some short stories by him. I'm eager for more and would love some recommendations if anyone here is a fan of his.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 29, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

As I progress through The Goldfinch, which I'll finish either tonight or tomorrow morning, I have noticed that the pacing is almost perfect. I say almost because there have been a few times where I have just begun to get bored, but then within a few pages something happens that pulls me right back in. The supporting characters are all very good, too.

My biggest complaint is the dialogue. It's very realistic, with people speaking in broken off sentences, ending abruptly. But realism is not always a good thing. I wrote this post to bring up a debate about dialogue for the thread.

Do you prefer realistic dialogue or something more obviously invented? Myself, I prefer my characters to speak with more eloquence, insight, and humor than anyone actually does, like in an Aaron Sorkin screenplay. Pynchon, for example, has characters and dialogue that could never be mistaken for genuine, yet there is still real humanity there, when you look at it all together.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I recently finished Another Country by James Baldwin and I would say it is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Striking language, and a very honest and direct look at interracial relationships and bisexuality and people attempting to make a living through art in NYC in the 1950's which, for a novel published in 1962, is very rare. It's a very real feeling book and yet the city and its values has changed so much since that time that trying to superimpose it over the now is a very strange experience.

This is the first novel I've read by Baldwin though I've read some short stories by him. I'm eager for more and would love some recommendations if anyone here is a fan of his.

Go Tell It On the Mountain is fantastic, and is also one of the best audiobooks ever recorded..

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

As I progress through The Goldfinch, which I'll finish either tonight or tomorrow morning, I have noticed that the pacing is almost perfect. I say almost because there have been a few times where I have just begun to get bored, but then within a few pages something happens that pulls me right back in. The supporting characters are all very good, too.

My biggest complaint is the dialogue. It's very realistic, with people speaking in broken off sentences, ending abruptly. But realism is not always a good thing. I wrote this post to bring up a debate about dialogue for the thread.

Do you prefer realistic dialogue or something more obviously invented? Myself, I prefer my characters to speak with more eloquence, insight, and humor than anyone actually does, like in an Aaron Sorkin screenplay. Pynchon, for example, has characters and dialogue that could never be mistaken for genuine, yet there is still real humanity there, when you look at it all together.

Yes, I much prefer the Pynchonian style (not that this surprises anyone). Along those lines I think it's why the dialogue in Infinite Jest and The Instructions, just to name two examples, has always been so compelling to me. The kids in those books speak like highly-educated adults, and are somehow more real for it, not in the sense of modernist realism but in the sense that they much more truly express their natures, and therefore ours as well.

Just started Knausgaard. The very first section is one of those passages that makes other writers applaud jealously; it knocked me on my rear end. If that's the bar he's setting for himself in the first three pages of 3,600...no wonder it's getting legitimate comparisons to Proust.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm really not into audiobooks but I'll definitely get the regular book version. Thanks

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Nakar posted:

It's a real shame, he looked at the reflection of a stopped clock in a mirror and immediately died of symbolic toxicity. It's worse than the time Borges found a book that was an almost perfect (bar a single typo) retelling of his entire life and realized that he, too, was a man born of fire.

I tried telling someone once why The CIrcular Ruins by Borges is so good and they looked at me like I was crazy. I think they thought the "twist" was the main point of the entire story like some kind of idiot.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

One of the worst opinions ever in this thread in which Med Mudkiper posts repeatedly

Actually any opinion, much like any reading, is good and correct.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

While being happy about death isn't cool bro, 100yrs of solitudes is what middle-aged women read for their bookclubs when they are leveling up from coelho. Unless you are middle-aged woman in a bookclub you shouldn't be surprised it wasn't good.
Magical realists who are good:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i love to frot and be frotted on. i love the frottage

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

As a counterpoint, I didn't like the book. But I don't have any other Baldwin to recommend because I stopped there.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mallamp posted:

While being happy about death isn't cool bro, 100yrs of solitudes is what middle-aged women read for their bookclubs when they are leveling up from coelho. Unless you are middle-aged woman in a bookclub you shouldn't be surprised it wasn't good.

go back to gbs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mallamp posted:

middle aged women are cool.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mallamp posted:

heh, those females, with their inferior books. females, eh.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

mallamp posted:

Sometimes, if ppl who are bad think something is bad, well, then, what that actually means is: those things, they're good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

I love Roth, but in a world where you have to (at least pretend to) be feminist to be part of 'intelligentsia', it's quite a push to call him "objectively great/canon" author. Same with Updike.

mallamp posted:

Calvino is pretty goony though.. Real hipsters would read something like Tao Lin before he was popular, Infinite Jest the year it came out (but so over it now), random quirky poetry by 19-year-old girls who got accpeted to lit magazines, Lydia Davis and stuff like that

mallamp posted:

You must be WHITE MALE without A VAGINA who just MALEGAZED it through and didn't get it. You probably vote for Donald Trump too and your grandfather is secretly Hitler.

mallamp posted:

It does break my heart that this internet discussion forum Something Awful is so patriarchal. That registration fee for staters. Should be 7,5-8$ for women.
We are all radical feminists in our hearts bro.

mallamp posted:

Remember I'm 17yo frat boy irl, you can't blame me for what I am bros

One thing I dislike more than radical feminists is neckbeards who complain about women in their retarded inferior entertainment form
Actually I like some radical feminists if someone Camille Paglia counts as one I don't know, is Joyce Carol Oates feminist? She's hella cool

mallamp posted:

Don't mind me I am just updating the list of mallamp's idiotic comments about women

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i really enjoyed 100 Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera. So there

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I really liked Leaf STorm by Marquez but 100 Years of Solitude bored me. Furthermore, I agree with Mallamp regarding women and their treacherous and fickle nature.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Middle aged women are keeping the book industry alive so thats nice

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Remember that part in 100 years when the guy had a dick so big it dislocated a gypsys hip.

That was a good part

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Remember that part in 100 years when the guy had a dick so big it dislocated a gypsys hip.

That was a good part
im quoting this post as an example next time darthmaul69 appears and asks what makes a book literature

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

blue squares posted:

Don't mind me I am just updating the list of mallamp's idiotic comments about women

I think he's just a unfunny version of the poster 'Retarded Clown', bcuz no one could be that stupid IRL

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm just glad The General in His Labyrinth is labeled as a novel because it comprises 90% of what I know about Simón Bolívar and I can give people a disclaimer to the effect that I only know about the man on the basis of a magic realist biography instead of pretending like I know anything verifiable.

(It's not actually all that magic realist but I wasn't aware of what genre it was until after I read it)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I have bought The Man Without Qualities and Buddenbrooks. I might emerge sometime in 2018 speaking German?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nakar posted:

I'm just glad The General in His Labyrinth is labeled as a novel because it comprises 90% of what I know about Simón Bolívar and I can give people a disclaimer to the effect that I only know about the man on the basis of a magic realist biography instead of pretending like I know anything verifiable.

(It's not actually all that magic realist but I wasn't aware of what genre it was until after I read it)

Same for me with Ambrose Bierce and The Old Gringo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

J_RBG posted:

I have bought The Man Without Qualities and Buddenbrooks. I might emerge sometime in 2018 speaking German?

a rather stilted German if you're learning it from Buddenbrooks

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

J_RBG posted:

No, but congrats on buying books that are much better than what is regularly talked about in this thread.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Taken out of context like that.. But what does thast second quote have to do with women? Are you in process of writing your quirky poetry collection?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Is tumblr post-postmodern literature?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It is literature in mental bondage.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Earwicker posted:

Another Country was the first Baldwin I read, and it's still my favorite. But like others have said, Go Tell it On the Mountain is really good, and I also liked Just Above My Head and Giovanni's Room (which was pretty drat risque at the time). I've had mixed results with the rest of his stuff, but he's definitely an incredibly talented writer. I also read a biography of him last year, Talking at the Gates by James Campbell, which had some pretty interesting insights into his life and times and his writing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just finished The Goldfinch. I thought it was a great book, but I'm not sure why it won the Pulitzer. I finished it not knowing what it was really trying to say as a work of art. There is the ending that is Theo reflecting on life and the human condition, and he twice talks about "people want what they want and that's it, even if its bad for them," but I don't know if the work as a whole really fits that statement.

I did like it, though.

Also I got Hanya Yanagihara's first book, and will get that and A Little Life signed in March, adding to my growing collection of signed novels. Anybody else like having signed books?

blue squares fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 30, 2016

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Just finished The Goldfinch. I thought it was a great book, but I'm not sure why it won the Pulitzer. I finished it not knowing what it was really trying to say as a work of art. There is the ending that is Theo reflecting on life and the human condition, and he twice talks about "people want what they want and that's it, even if its bad for them," but I don't know if the work as a whole really fits that statement.

I did like it, though.

Also I got Hanya Yanagihara's first book, and will get that and A Little Life signed in March, adding to my growing collection of signed novels. Anybody else like having signed books?

I thought it would be really cool to get a signed copy of Purity because I really liked freedom and the corrections. Not the best signed book I own.
I also have a signed Terry Pratchett novel which is really cool although not serious literature; I got a signed copy of Between the World and Me when I saw Coates speak at my former university.
My mom has a signed, personalized copy of Never Let Me Go that pretty much trumps anything I have.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mallamp posted:

you are now dissing my man bulgakov and this will not stand

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I've got signed Mario Vargas Llosa and Colson Whitehead

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I forged a signature in my copy of Recognitions that was printed after Gaddis' death.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I had a chance to get a signed first edition of Infinite Jest for just a cool thousand bucks at the local used store, this was a year or two after he died. Still regret not doing it, despite the fact I couldn't afford it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I forged a signature in my copy of Recognitions that was printed after Gaddis' death.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm imagining someone pulling out 50 bad sentences from The Recognitions and the decades-long grudge that Gaddis would bear.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Thomas Pynchon being the pseudonym Gaddis adopted after The Recognitions bombed so badly.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Once goodreads recommended me the short stories of Ellen Gilchrist after I read Gaddis' novels and I thought she'd be proper Gaddissean before I clocked they just thought I was reading throuigh the winners of the American National Book Award

Mr. Squishy posted:

William Gaddis' final book Agapé Agape is HEAVILY inspired by Bernhard, and the rest of his books have that sort of rushing whirl of thoughts crowding in oppressively close.

Mr. Squishy posted:

William Gaddis also interrogates utilitarianism and he's a fun read. He might be a bit satirical for you but I'd say give JR a try.

Mr. Squishy, do you perhaps like William Gaddis?