Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bewbies posted:

I just got the Zvezda 1:48 Yak-3. Being as this is my second model as an adult I think this is...a bit past my skill level, 9 step engine build and so on. Some of the finished ones out there are absolute works of art.

Anyone built this before and or have any tips or suggestions?

Going off the zvezda spitfire I built, don't even bother building the engine unless you're planning on displaying it with the casing opened. Just keep an eye out for when/where the exhaust pipes go because they jut out of the engine casing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Phew, two figures is enough for one night. I've learned so much, even just between the first and second.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Generally, you want to put decals on (with decal solution) over a gloss base - a quick coat of future is fine for this when the future has set (>6 hours is a good rule of thumb), then wait for the decal to shrink and dry (generally 24 hours will do it). After that, you can either directly spray on your matte varnish. However, if you're planning on weathering with an oil wash, I recommend spraying another layer of gloss varnish like future, since the gloss varnish makes it easier for the paint to run when creating streaks. when you're done with the weathering, you can always lay on a matte/gloss/whatever finish you want coat as the final layer to get the look you want.

Did you freehand the camo splotches on the 109?

Thanks, I'll get right to practicing gloss coats. It's much more difficult than matt for some reason, at least with Vallejo.

Yup, freehand camo. The spots are supposed to be much smaller but again, my airbrush skills.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Greyhawk posted:

The answer to both of these problems is Perfect Plastic Putty.

I'll take a look at some point for the holes, but I found out that the insert from a humble CD case, once roughed up to made the glue stick, worked rather well for filler on the gap.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I really don't understand Lindberg and why they exist - they want to sell scale model kits, but sorta hate scale model kits

Given that their website re-directs to someone else, I think they are out of business. It looks like they ran a rather wide range of products when they were around, including this mean looking thing:

Apparently they also did some officially licensed Jurassic Park stuff back in the early 90's and it looked pretty good.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

Done with machinegunner Meltyman

My first figure ever. I think I'll call him... Otto.

All paints mixed from basic colors. I couldn't justify buying a bunch of flesh and feldgrau colors.

Not bad, this was also one of my first attempts at a 1:35th scale figure. Yours is definitely turning out better than mine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm an impatient poo poo and assembled some models before sanding down the sprue marks and they're all really hard to get to. They're also made of some really weak plastic. What should I use to get to hard to reach sprue marks without gouging the poo poo out of the plastic? Seems like a metal file would be too strong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ensign Expendable posted:

Not bad, this was also one of my first attempts at a 1:35th scale figure. Yours is definitely turning out better than mine.

Спасибо товарищ

I'm mainly just happy that I got a decent skin tone out of blindly mixing colors from one of those Box O' Acrylic paint sets you buy at a hobby shop for like $20.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

signalnoise posted:

I'm an impatient poo poo and assembled some models before sanding down the sprue marks and they're all really hard to get to. They're also made of some really weak plastic. What should I use to get to hard to reach sprue marks without gouging the poo poo out of the plastic? Seems like a metal file would be too strong.

I would look for sanding sticks, either for modeling or manicure sticks if you can't find any for modeling around you.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Manicure sticks are generally wide and wouldn't be easy to jam into narrow spaces. Consider it a lesson, this isn't really a hobby where you can take shortcuts.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Take a toothpick, glue fine sandpaper to the upper third, cut off excess.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Antifreeze Head posted:

Apparently they also did some officially licensed Jurassic Park stuff back in the early 90's and it looked pretty good.

They've been bought by Round2 (a company that owns several formerly defunct brands of kits.) This may actually be a good thing.

EE, found something for you

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 3, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

Given that their website re-directs to someone else, I think they are out of business. It looks like they ran a rather wide range of products when they were around, including this mean looking thing:

Nominating doo doo dinosaur group build.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Midjack posted:

I think you should get the miniatures people on that, make a warhammer khaos soul rapist or what have you

Festoon it with skulls, people screaming

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think you should get the miniatures people on that, make a warhammer khaos soul rapist or what have you

Festoon it with skulls, people screaming

Warhammer is dead, it was replaced with a non-functional 'product' called Age of Sigmar that is universally reviled by goons for being exceptionally lovely on every conceivable level, and there's only a few who are playing the fan-revival 9th Age rules.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Manicure sticks are generally wide and wouldn't be easy to jam into narrow spaces. Consider it a lesson, this isn't really a hobby where you can take shortcuts.

I've cut mine into a few different shapes (mostly triangles with different angles).

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

That "T-Rex" is five bucks or less on Amazon, so it's cheap entertainment.

And there's no need to limit it to the folks who do minis. If you prefer cars, just slap a racing stripe on the drat thing! It's not like it look at all like a dinosaur is supposed to, so there shouldn't be any need to paint it like one.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 3, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

NTRabbit posted:

Warhammer is dead, it was replaced with a non-functional 'product' called Age of Sigmar that is universally reviled by goons for being exceptionally lovely on every conceivable level, and there's only a few who are playing the fan-revival 9th Age rules.

Wait what?

I'm going to ask why

(Well now what am I going to be slightly smug about)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait what?

I'm going to ask why

(Well now what am I going to be slightly smug about)

The CEO or whatever wanted to make the game that he remembered in his childhood. Or something. It was all terribly dumb.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait what?

I'm going to ask why
Why is it lovely? The old Warhammer was an unbalanced but salvageable wargame with a developed world that was a fun & kinda unique "30-year-war with magic and dark gods" slant. GW literally blew up the setting, made a 4-page "ruleset" that has the tactical depth of a paper plate, added rules like bonuses for a longer beard or talking to your miniature general (bonus points if he talks back) (no I'm not making this up), introduced a badly copied version of WH40K Space Marines to the new setting (which is basically fighting over random shards of the old world floating in space), shut themselves up in an ivory tower and reacted to any criticism with :smug: and blaming competitive gamers. Also, their new miniature design is noticeably worse.

The GW death thread will explain it much better and I'm sure they have multiple summaries of the clusterfuck ready to paste. also, anything to cut the gundam derail short

If you're asking why they did it, I don't know :shrug: brain parasites I guess?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Doo Doo Dinosaur should be Gojiraganthous. At only $300 and 31" long, a trifle for us high-rollin' modelers to tackle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Fantasy isn't profitable, therefore kill it or reinvent it. Either way they aren't actually "losing" anything compared to just making GBS threads out another year of product.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pierzak posted:

Why is it lovely? The old Warhammer was an unbalanced but salvageable wargame with a developed world that was a fun & kinda unique "30-year-war with magic and dark gods" slant. GW literally blew up the setting, made a 4-page "ruleset" that has the tactical depth of a paper plate, added rules like bonuses for a longer beard or talking to your miniature general (bonus points if he talks back) (no I'm not making this up), introduced a badly copied version of WH40K Space Marines to the new setting (which is basically fighting over random shards of the old world floating in space), shut themselves up in an ivory tower and reacted to any criticism with :smug: and blaming competitive gamers. Also, their new miniature design is noticeably worse.

About 90% of everything I know about Warhammer came from WTFDND?!? articles, so I hadn't heard that Games Workshop had gone totally crazy and pulled a...I don't even know. Transformers the Movie? I've always had contempt for GW; now I guess even all the Warhammer people are on my side.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dammit, now you made me google "dinosaur model kit", and I learned that there is

a) a ton of nice but pricey resin and PVC kits of dinosaurs, and

b) a man who seemingly hire strippers (?) to pose for photos while holding dinosaur models in front of their boobs, which he then publishes on a website with details about where the dinosaur models were purchased

My god there is always a way for the Internet to make something weirder than you thought possible.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

lilljonas posted:

b) a man who seemingly hire strippers (?) to pose for photos while holding dinosaur models in front of their boobs, which he then publishes on a website with details about where the dinosaur models were purchased

That guy is a long running joke on the Clubhouse Forums. He shows up every couple of months showing off his latest batch of pics that no one cares about or wants to see. Every time though he's so enthusiastic and thinks people have been breathless in anticipation just waiting for his next series of pics.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Arquinsiel posted:

Fantasy isn't profitable, therefore kill it or reinvent it. Either way they aren't actually "losing" anything compared to just making GBS threads out another year of product.

It was still profitable; just not profitable enough, apparently. IIRC, WHF was only behind WH40K in miniature sales before AoS came out. There are a handful of different franchises competing for that second spot, now.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The replacement of Warhammer can be summed up by the actual rules quote: "If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, " but let's not turn this into the fourth of fifth thread on these forums were people dumb poo poo on GW.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If people are interested in dino-models though, the two sites you should really check out are Shane Foulkes work at Cretaceous Creations, and Geene Models (which appears to be down temporarily). Those two are probably the best of the best when it comes to dinosaur sculpting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

In a stroke of weird, that guy actually wrote several episodes of the G1 Transformers cartoon. In a stroke of EVEN WEIRDER none of them had Dinobots in them. He also wrote the novelisation of The Empire Strikes Back. However while wikipedia claims he is most famous for that, it's clearly the dinosaur toy stripper website that everyone knows.

Kibner posted:

It was still profitable; just not profitable enough, apparently. IIRC, WHF was only behind WH40K in miniature sales before AoS came out. There are a handful of different franchises competing for that second spot, now.
Bear in mind that a lot of that is creative accounting. A lot of orc and chaos stuff was used for 40k conversions etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

And there's no need to limit it to the folks who do minis. If you prefer cars, just slap a racing stripe on the drat thing! It's not like it look at all like a dinosaur is supposed to, so there shouldn't be any need to paint it like one.

A few years ago for some reason I got this painting set of animals from the zoo. It's a lion, cheetah, giraffe, and elephant all molding in plain white plastic (It came with paint and a brush, but I threw that poo poo out). I've been wondering what to do with them since then, but I think I might have to do something like this and also get rid of some spare decals.

Hungarian Air Force lion! North Korean Air Force elephant!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Hungarian Air Force lion! North Korean Air Force elephant!
Make sure to add a Superman-style cape.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Not having the fortitude to stick out the crappire, I distracted myself by finishing up this cutie. Academy 1/72 FW-190D-9

Finished that underside the dumbest way possible. The stripes come in waterside sheets, which I applied whole, hoping generous microsol would level things out. It did not. So, I cut along the edges of the stripes and removed the bits of clear decal in between. This left some marks looking not unlike paint chips, so I guess it worked out ok. In retrospect, I would have just masked and painted the lines. gently caress large decal sheets.
Here he is with his friends:

Mister Dog fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 4, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's an interesting paint scheme. How come it's so visible? Is it a training plane?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

That's an interesting paint scheme. How come it's so visible? Is it a training plane?

Ha, I was looking that exact thing up just as you were posting:

quote:

This particular boxing is for an aircraft of the very colorful Papagei or Parrot staffel. So called because of the colorful red (and some say also black) underside with white stripes. This was done so that friendly anti-aircraft gunners would not shoot them down! These aircraft were used to protect Me-262s during their most vulnerable times; landing and taking off.

edit: Oh my god, that makes it a 'support fighter' [/WarThunderJoke]

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

JV44 paintjob looks awesome as gently caress

Jagdverband 44 was a unit of 'experten' handpicked by Galland. The protection squadron flew Dora's to protect the units Me262's on the long landing approach because the Allies quickly figured out that the best way to shoot down a 262 was to ambush them when they were lining up for landing.

Pilots attached to JV44;

Adolf Galland
Johannes Steinhoff
Heinrich Bär
Gerhard Barkhorn
Walter Krupinski
Erich Hohagen
Heinz Sachsenberg (Platzschutzstaffel)
Waldemar Wübke (Platzschutzstaffel)
Klaus Faber (Platzschutzstaffel)
Karl-Heinz Hoffmann (role unclear, most likely Platzschutzstaffel)
Bodo Dirschauer (Platzschutzstaffel, not confirmed)
Franz Stigler
Hans-Ekkehard Bob

Those pilots represent a good few hundred kills, probably the most high scoring aces in one unit ever.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 4, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Molentik posted:

JV44 paintjob looks awesome as gently caress

Jagdverband 44 was a unit of 'experten' handpicked by Galland. The protection squadron flew Dora's to protect the units Me262's on the long landing approach because the Allies quickly figured out that the best way to shoot down a 262 was to ambush them when they were lining up for landing.

Pilots attached to JV44;

Adolf Galland
Johannes Steinhoff
Heinrich Bär
Gerhard Barkhorn
Walter Krupinski
Erich Hohagen
Heinz Sachsenberg (Platzschutzstaffel)
Waldemar Wübke (Platzschutzstaffel)
Klaus Faber (Platzschutzstaffel)
Karl-Heinz Hoffmann (role unclear, most likely Platzschutzstaffel)
Bodo Dirschauer (Platzschutzstaffel, not confirmed)
Franz Stigler
Hans-Ekkehard Bob

Those pilots represent a good few hundred kills, probably the most high scoring aces in one unit ever.

Oh and the bottom markings were to signal to German AA gunners "DO NOT SHOOT US?"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This poo poo right here is why I love model building. You learn the most fun stuff :allears:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh and the bottom markings were to signal to German AA gunners "DO NOT SHOOT US?"

Yeah. 262s were very slow to accelerate and took even longer to slow down for landing (they didn't have air brakes), so they had VERY long initial climbs and landing approaches. The Allies figured out pretty quickly this was the best time to get after them, as once they got to speed/altitude they were pretty much untouchable. So, the Germans got in the habit of heavily patrolling around the 262 bases with prop aircraft at low levels and added a lot of AAA, thus the paint.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Make sure to add a Superman-style cape.

Maybe I'll make a Flash cheetah.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I'm doing this Yak model and trying to figure out the paint scheme. I don't have an airbrush yet so I can't do any camo (I don't think anyway), and I'm kind of in love with this:

So, how should I approach this? I assume I'll spray the entire model dark grey as a first step. What is the best way to get after the blue on the bottom, and the red nose? Spray and mask, or by hand with masking? Also, how do I mask the wheel wells and landing gear?

Also somehow one of the wingtips got damaged, it either came like that or I got it with a knife. It is the little notch between the wingtip and the aileron. Can I fix that with putty or something?

http://i.imgur.com/4TbVtPy.jpg

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That looks minor enough to be unnoticeable, I'd leave it. Also to get a complex shape like that, you can mask with silly putty. Spray red, mask, spray gray.