Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Oh poo poo, thanks thread for reminding me to order it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

I read this in the dub voices.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

Mine shipped, too. Holy poo poo, it's actually happening!

Zebulon posted:

End of an era, really. I'm going to miss having it there in my open orders list on Amazon, just taunting me.

In Training posted:

Whoa same. Awesome!

I know, right? It's kind of mind boggling that it's finally happening.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 2, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Raxivace posted:

I know, right? It's kind of mind bogging that it's finally happening.

Seriously the only reason I included the screenshot is to show that the price got as low as $20 over time and that it predates Amazon collecting tax. That and the sheer absurdity of me having this order up for almost two and a half years. I really am going to miss having it sitting there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I know, right? It was kind of comforting just having it there, much like the moon hangs over us in the night sky.

Are we getting a DVD with the blu-ray too? I just noticed that the Amazon page describes the blu-ray as "Multi-Format" now.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I know, right? It was kind of comforting just having it there, much like the moon hangs over us in the night sky.

Are we getting a DVD with the blu-ray too? I just noticed that the Amazon page describes the blu-ray as "Multi-Format" now.

No idea. I'd noticed that too and started to wonder. If they do rather than having separate DVD and Blu-Ray releases that'd be pretty nice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they bring the bigass box set over next, even if I have to wait 2 more years.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to open the case only to find the Blu-Ray is just a blank CD

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Multi-format just means they formatted the disc several times before packing it up.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god it's here. The packaging is pretty swank and it comes with that artbook thing they released with it in Japan that has all the concept art, character models, etc.

Is the label for the movie itself supposed to be "Evangelion_3_33" when put in my PS3, though? That seems a little odd.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zebulon posted:

Oh god it's here. The packaging is pretty swank and it comes with that artbook thing they released with it in Japan that has all the concept art, character models, etc.

Is the label for the movie itself supposed to be "Evangelion_3_33" when put in my PS3, though? That seems a little odd.

That sounds right.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Just would have expected it to be Evangelion 3.33, rather than the underscored spaces like an old DOS file. Pretty sure 1.11 and 2.22 didn't have their names like that, but I'll have to check later and see if that's the case.

The only issue I've seen regarding the dub script so far is that the audio mixing is, in general, very quiet. I've had to crank the volume on my TV to roughly twice normal volume just to hear things decently and a few things are still annoyingly quiet.

Edit: Went back and checked. 1.11 and 2.22 have full, proper movie title labels. Also they seem to have really cheaped out on extras. No US cast commentary like 1 and 2, just a shitload of trailers. 1 Japanese and 1 English audio track, two subtitle tracks (looks like the original theatrical subtitles and the revamped home release ones?) and nothing else. Weird.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 2, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought only the second movie had a cast commentary (That didn't even last the entire film).

Anyways I finally have my 3.33 blu-ray! God is in his heaven, and all is right in the world. I love all of you and wish you all good luck for all of your future endeavors.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Watched it. The subtitle track is fine, dunno what that delay was really all about. There are two subtitle options, though (home video and theatrical). I watched the default home video one.

Still a pretty trippy film with a lot of great visuals. Shame it's more of a middle story with more to go and no end in sight (still!). I also wish the music was louder because the soundtrack by itself is crazy good. Read the lyrics for those operatic songs, they're bananas with religious symbolism and poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished watching the movie again. Still loving the hell out of it.

Question about the Home Video Subs- did I miss it or, do they never use some form of the term "King of the Lilin" that the fansubs were using back in the day?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Just finished watching the movie again. Still loving the hell out of it.

Question about the Home Video Subs- did I miss it or, do they never use some form of the term "King of the Lilin" that the fansubs were using back in the day?

Not sure about the subs, but the dub definitely has Kaworu referring to Gendo as such when he realizes he's been had regarding the lances.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also received my copy of 3.33. The art book is fairly cool. Haven't watched it again, waiting to find some good time to watch all the series Blu Rays and movies again.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I've had the Evangelion 3.33 Blu Ray on pre order from Amazon for over two years. On February 2nd it finally arrived and I watched it last night. Major spoilers from here on:

Utterly Awful.

I was a fan of the first two Rebuild movies. 1.11 featured some awesome military hardware action and 2.22 was very emotional with some climactic giant robot fights. I was moved to tears by Asuka getting mauled to death by the Angel possessed Unit 01, and the scene where the purple girl turned her Eva into beast mode? *Italian chef air kiss* Mwah, perfection.

3.33 or "Q" on the other hand, was crap from the get go. The battles were confusing and disjointed, the angel (or "nemesis," I guess) designs were lackluster and stupid. Shinji, who finally grew a pair of balls at the end of 2.22 went back to being an even worse bitchboi than when he started the series.

Other Highlights:
The stupid flying eagle battleship was an ugly mishmash of CGI crap that looks like nothing that ever belonged in Evangelion.

"The Curse of the Evas" is that whoever pilots it is trapped in the body of a sixteen year old forever. Ohhh no what a tragedy that just so happens to rev up the Japanese audience's engine like crazy.

The Gay angel at first being like "oh we should get the spears" and Shinji's like "okay" right off the bat, because for some reason he trusts the creepy pale kid implicitly, and then when the gay angel is like "oh we shouldn't get the spears I'm serious" Shinji is like "lol I'm gonna get them anyway."

Then everything goes to poo poo and Shinji's like "is this my fault??"

When I watched the finale of the TV series and later "End of Evangelion" it was all confusing and postmodern, but I got the impression I just wasn't smart enough to parse all the symbolism. With 3.33 on the other hand, I was like "this is the stupidest poo poo."

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 4, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, are people watching 3.33 for the first time again, this is the good poo poo :allears:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zebulon posted:

The only issue I've seen regarding the dub script so far is that the audio mixing is, in general, very quiet. I've had to crank the volume on my TV to roughly twice normal volume just to hear things decently and a few things are still annoyingly quiet.

Yeah this too. I eventually gave up and turned on the subtitles, not that they were much help considering how far they diverged from the dub.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Applewhite posted:

So I've had the Evangelion 3.33 Blu Ray on pre order from Amazon for over two years. On February 2nd it finally arrived and I watched it last night. Major spoilers from here on:

Utterly Awful.

I was a fan of the first two Rebuild movies. 1.11 featured some awesome military hardware action and 2.22 was very emotional with some climactic giant robot fights. I was moved to tears by Asuka getting mauled to death by the Angel possessed Unit 01, and the scene where the purple girl turned her Eva into beast mode? *Italian chef air kiss* Mwah, perfection.

3.33 or "Q" on the other hand, was crap from the get go. The battles were confusing and disjointed, the angel (or "nemesis," I guess) designs were lackluster and stupid. Shinji, who finally grew a pair of balls at the end of 2.22 went back to being an even worse bitchboi than when he started the series.

Other Highlights:
The stupid flying eagle battleship was an ugly mishmash of CGI crap that looks like nothing that ever belonged in Evangelion.

"The Curse of the Evas" is that whoever pilots it is trapped in the body of a sixteen year old forever. Ohhh no what a tragedy that just so happens to rev up the Japanese audience's engine like crazy.

The Gay angel at first being like "oh we should get the spears" and Shinji's like "okay" right off the bat, because for some reason he trusts the creepy pale kid implicitly, and then when the gay angel is like "oh we shouldn't get the spears I'm serious" Shinji is like "lol I'm gonna get them anyway."

When I watched the finale of the TV series and later "End of Evangelion" it was all confusing and postmodern, but I got the impression I just wasn't smart enough to parse all the symbolism. With 3.33 on the other hand, I was like "this is the stupidest poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWCVfBD9Pzo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lol is that you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's not "the curse of the Evas", it's "the curse of Eva". Asuka being a perma-adolescent is some metacommentary poo poo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sinking belle posted:

It's not "the curse of the Evas", it's "the curse of Eva".

lol whatever they call it, it's stupid.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

"I don't get it, also, it's stupid"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Utterly Awful.

Other Highlights:

*hurriedly runs to my calendar* My god...it's 1998...what happened!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best thing in the world about Eva 3.0 is when people rant about how Shinji "finally grew some balls."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zas posted:

"I don't get it, also, it's stupid"

No I get it, I just still think it's stupid.

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing in the world about Eva 3.0 is when people rant about how Shinji "finally grew some balls."

We must have watched a different 2.0 because he kicked rear end at the end of that film and I was like "oh, maybe this character will finally be tolerable now."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

We must have watched a different 2.0 because he kicked rear end at the end of that film and I was like "oh, maybe this character will finally be tolerable now."

Shinji is a hosed-up kid in a hosed-up situation with people abusing him constantly and most of his connections to the world cut off. Putting him in control of a machine with godlike power should not be a great heroic moment nor should it be viewed as kickass or him becoming 'tolerable."

Likewise the end goal for Shinji shouldn't be becoming a Gurren-Lagann character because that doesn't make sense for who he is and even if Eva 3.0+1.0 ends with him piloting an Evangelion for positive reasons it probably won't be with hot-blooded screaming and kicking reason to the curb.

I admit I take no small amount of delight in 3.0 because I really disliked the ending of 2.0 because of these specific reasons and I was glad 3.0 agreed with me on it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 4, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

People getting dangerously close to confronting uncomfortable truths is always cool to see.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Applewhite posted:

The end of 2.0 was him throwing a hissy fit like a child rather than actually doing anything meaningful to change his situation.

Although saying that I'd totally watch an alternate version of 3.0 where Shinji just goes loving berserk constantly and smashes poo poo up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slime posted:

Although saying that I'd totally watch an alternate version of 3.0 where Shinji just goes loving berserk constantly and smashes poo poo up.

It's in the latest Super Robot Wars! He even heroically summons the Lance of Longinus and beats up monsters with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still love the piano sequence. Best scene in the movie.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, I will retroactively like 3.0 a lot less Rebuild ends on the same kind of downer note as EOE did. We've seen Shinji collapse into depression and bitterness before, it'd be nice to see a version of events that has him coming to a positive epiphany for a change.

...Well, a version of events that includes a positive epiphany AND a decent budget, anyway.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Applewhite posted:

trust me on this, you really don't

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Shinji is a hosed-up kid in a hosed-up situation with people abusing him constantly and most of his connections to the world cut off. Putting him in control of a machine with godlike power should not be a great heroic moment nor should it be viewed as kickass or him becoming 'tolerable."

Likewise the end goal for Shinji shouldn't be becoming a Gurren-Lagann character because that doesn't make sense for who he is and even if Eva 3.0+1.0 ends with him piloting an Evangelion for positive reasons it probably won't be with hot-blooded screaming and kicking reason to the curb.

I admit I take no small amount of delight in 3.0 because I really disliked the ending of 2.0 because of these specific reasons and I was glad 3.0 agreed with me on it.

I'm not asking for him to become a brave Gurren-Lagann type hero. I get it that's not in the theme of Evangelion, but you don't have to go full Kamina to demonstrate at least a modicum of self-respect.
Shinji's "oh I'm gonna get the spears against the advice of my only friend in the world OH NO THE SPEARS WERE EVIL EXACTLY LIKE HE SAID, WHY MEEEEE?" is a perfect example of just what a contemptible shitheel he is. I'd call him "pathetic" but that would require the character to actually generate some pathos.

Zas posted:

trust me on this, you really don't

Please explain. I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I'm not asking for him to become a brave Gurren-Lagann type hero. I get it that's not in the theme of Evangelion, but you don't have to go full Kamina to demonstrate at least a modicum of self-respect.
Shinji's "oh I'm gonna get the spears against the advice of my only friend in the world OH NO THE SPEARS WERE EVIL EXACTLY LIKE HE SAID, WHY MEEEEE?" is a perfect example of just what a contemptible shitheel he is. I'd call him "pathetic" but that would require the character to actually generate some pathos.

Shinji was put into a position where, partially through his own fault and partially through bad luck, an absolutely absurdly terrible thing happened and at least part of the blame is on him. He awoke to a horrifying traumatic experience where he realized a tremendous fuckup had happened and he lost almost everything meaningful to him. He's desperate to make up for that mistake and a carrot was dangled in front of him that he could make up that mistake. Once it was in front of him and he'd already gone that far he was absolutely desperate to do anything.

You're supposed to think he's pathetic and sad because he is. The title of the film is literally You can (not) Redo and that is what Shinji discovers. He can't undo his mistake no matter how badly he wants to or no matter how much he intended not to. It's an extremely low point for the character but it is supposed to be.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I was also disappointed by 3.0. I'm all for the plot going in a new direction but they could have continued it from when Kaworu shafted Shinji from behind. 4.0 better be a flashback episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't particular mind that Shinji reaches seemingly new lows after a his supposed high at the end of 2.22, bringing him down a peg or two and people hating him for it all is just fine really. But the way 3.33 goes about presenting was kind of half-assed, there had to have been a more organic way to go from 2.22 to 3.33 than the method they chose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Shinji was put into a position where, partially through his own fault and partially through bad luck, an absolutely absurdly terrible thing happened and at least part of the blame is on him. He awoke to a horrifying traumatic experience where he realized a tremendous fuckup had happened and he lost almost everything meaningful to him. He's desperate to make up for that mistake and a carrot was dangled in front of him that he could make up that mistake. Once it was in front of him and he'd already gone that far he was absolutely desperate to do anything.

You're supposed to think he's pathetic and sad because he is. The title of the film is literally You can (not) Redo and that is what Shinji discovers. He can't undo his mistake no matter how badly he wants to or no matter how much he intended not to. It's an extremely low point for the character but it is supposed to be.

I don't think he's pathetic. That's the problem. I have no sympathy for him. I spent the whole movie wishing Katsuragi had detonated his choker in the first act.