Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One thing that really hit me in this rewatch of 3.33 is how interesting it is to have Asuka, Mari, and Misato be the antagonists for much of the film (Note: antagonist does not mean villain). Hell, even Ritsuko is basically the Fuyutski to Misato's Gendo now.

Shinji is even sort of in the narrative role occupied by the Angels of the previous movies.

EDIT: New crackpot theory- Shinji is the 11th Angel in this continuity.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nate RFB posted:

I don't particular mind that Shinji reaches seemingly new lows after a his supposed high at the end of 2.22, bringing him down a peg or two and people hating him for it all is just fine really. But the way 3.33 goes about presenting was kind of half-assed, there had to have been a more organic way to go from 2.22 to 3.33 than the method they chose.

Yeah I can agree with this.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ak Gara posted:

I was also disappointed by 3.0. I'm all for the plot going in a new direction but they could have continued it from when Kaworu shafted Shinji from behind. 4.0 better be a flashback episode.

I see what you did there :iamafag:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

My reading of the rebuilds so far is that they're expressing that something has gone catastrophically wrong with the reception of Eva and it's effect on the world.

From the End of Evangelion program book in 97:

-- Finally, do you have some message for the fans?
KT - Don't drag the past around. Find the next thing that interests you.

-- Does that mean not becoming fixated on "Evangelion"?
KT - Yes. It's always better to let something that has finished end.

That's Kazuya Tsurumaki, a director on EoE and the Rebuilds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I don't particular mind that Shinji reaches seemingly new lows after a his supposed high at the end of 2.22, bringing him down a peg or two and people hating him for it all is just fine really. But the way 3.33 goes about presenting was kind of half-assed, there had to have been a more organic way to go from 2.22 to 3.33 than the method they chose.

I think the inorganic method was intentional. The viewer is supposed to be uncomfortable, disoriented, confused and so-on. Before the film came out they hid the entire time skip. The first thing anyone would know about it would be when they sat down in the theater even if they watched every trailer. It's supposed to put the viewer in the same position as Shinji. You can argue it was unsuccessful (but considering how many complaints mirror Shinji's own I don't think that's accurate) but it certainly wasn't half-assed.

It's an uncomfortable movie. It has a protagonist who veers from pathetic or loathesome to pitiable, it has little catharsis, it's critical of its audience (but it doesn't hate its audience) and it is genuinely uninterested in pandering to the idea that Evangelion's worldsetting exists for any reason other than motivating the characters. That, however, feels like the essence of Evangelion to me. The errata stuff is never what the television show was interested in. It's a lot more Evangelion to me than Shinji rocket punching an angel. (And I say this from the somewhat-hypocritical position of enjoying SRW Shinji Ikari I admit, but that is because SRW is largely pure catharsis.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
No you see the movie is brilliant because it's supposed to irritate you with its chaotic visuals and disjointed narrative. They did it on purpose so that makes it good. The viewer hating every second that Shinji on the screen is actually a metacommentary on how everyone inside the show hates him too and the show's creators want you to feel their hatred. The Eva Pilots not growing up is a dig at how the audience, once it gets sucked into Evangelion, is also unable to grow up.

There are lots of movies and TV shows which successfully disorient the viewer and use chaotic imagery put him ill at ease which I would call brilliant (or at least very good). I do not consider Evangelion 3.33 to be among them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

No you see the movie is brilliant because it's supposed to irritate you with its chaotic visuals and disjointed narrative. They did it on purpose so that makes it good. The viewer hating every second that Shinji on the screen is actually a metacommentary on how everyone inside the show hates him too and the show's creators want you to feel their hatred. The Eva Pilots not growing up is a dig at how the audience, once it gets sucked into Evangelion, is also unable to grow up.

There are lots of movies and TV shows which successfully disorient the viewer and use chaotic imagery put him ill at ease which I would call brilliant (or at least very good). I do not consider Evangelion 3.33 to be among them.

I don't hate Shinji. I also don't feel like Shinji needs to 'grow balls' to become tolerable though. You obviously have no pity for him and that's fine but it isn't a universal opinion. Even a lot of people who dislike 3.0 dislike it because they feel it's unfair to Shinji, not because they hate Shinji.

That said, yes, the Eva pilots not growing up is specifically and unambiguously that. Back when Eva 1.0 came out the producers used the same term (the curse of Eva) to refer to both the industry and the fans and their response to Evangelion. It also conveniently allows them to hide the time skip (by not having Asuka age) and to continue selling merch (because they like money).

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 4, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing in the world about Eva 3.0 is when people rant about how Shinji "finally grew some balls."

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Applewhite posted:

No you see the movie is brilliant because it's supposed to irritate you with its chaotic visuals and disjointed narrative. They did it on purpose so that makes it good. The viewer hating every second that Shinji on the screen is actually a metacommentary on how everyone inside the show hates him too and the show's creators want you to feel their hatred.

this is a pretty bad way to read End of Eva imo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I don't hate Shinji. I also don't feel like Shinji needs to 'grow balls' to become tolerable though. You obviously have no pity for him and that's fine but it isn't a universal opinion. Even a lot of people who dislike 3.0 dislike it because they feel it's unfair to Shinji, not because they hate Shinji.

That said, yes, the Eva pilots not growing up is specifically and unambiguously that. Back when Eva 1.0 came out the producers used the same term (the curse of Eva) to refer to both the industry and the fans and their response to Evangelion. It also conveniently allows them to hide the time skip (by not having Asuka age) and to continue selling merch (because they like money).

I didn't hate Shinji in 1.11 and 2.22. I guess he was "tolerable" even before he (arguably) grew a pair at the end of 2.22. But in 3.33 his whining and total lack of self-awareness or even basic situational awareness becomes unbearable to me. It felt like a huge step backwards for the character to the point where he was worse than he was at the start of 1.11.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 4, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think the inorganic method was intentional. The viewer is supposed to be uncomfortable, disoriented, confused and so-on. Before the film came out they hid the entire time skip. The first thing anyone would know about it would be when they sat down in the theater even if they watched every trailer. It's supposed to put the viewer in the same position as Shinji. You can argue it was unsuccessful (but considering how many complaints mirror Shinji's own I don't think that's accurate) but it certainly wasn't half-assed.

It's an uncomfortable movie. It has a protagonist who veers from pathetic or loathesome to pitiable, it has little catharsis, it's critical of its audience (but it doesn't hate its audience) and it is genuinely uninterested in pandering to the idea that Evangelion's worldsetting exists for any reason other than motivating the characters. That, however, feels like the essence of Evangelion to me. The errata stuff is never what the television show was interested in. It's a lot more Evangelion to me than Shinji rocket punching an angel. (And I say this from the somewhat-hypocritical position of enjoying SRW Shinji Ikari I admit, but that is because SRW is largely pure catharsis.)

The opening scene of 3 is great. The weightless camera suspended in pure black with 0 reference point. The music kicks in and it sounds like foreign and off because of all the electric guitar work, the camera just keeps spiralling and flying around. The characters you know appear but nothing makes sense. It's fantastic!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

I really can't emphasize this enough but I really, really do not care for nor want Shinji to man up or be badass or even really have a happy ending, at least not necessarily. I am a big fan of End of Evangelion and have no real interest in anything Super Robot Wars related as amusing as they often seem to be when it comes to Eva. I just don't care for the way 3.33 is structured and paced (especially at the beginning), it's disorientating yes but not in a way that makes me feel like they utilized some semblance of filmmaking acumen to get it across. It instead feels almost like an unintentional consequence of a script that went through a few too many rewrites or edits, as if key scenes to make it all flow together were left on the cutting floor for whatever reason. Almost as if it were an adaptation of some other, longer work. I am not saying that is what happened (at least, I don't think there's ever been an indication that was the case), just how came across to me as a viewer.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I too, watched EVA with no forethought or understanding of the human psyche

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I really can't emphasize this enough but I really, really do not care for nor want Shinji to man up or be badass or even really have a happy ending, at least not necessarily. I am a big fan of End of Evangelion and have no real interest in anything Super Robot Wars related as amusing as they often seem to be when it comes to Eva. I just don't care for the way 3.33 is structured and paced (especially at the beginning), it's disorientating yes but not in a way that makes me feel like they utilized some semblance of filmmaking acumen to get it across. It instead feels almost like an unintentional consequence of a script that went through a few too many rewrites or edits, as if key scenes to make it all flow together were left on the cutting floor for whatever reason. Almost as if it were an adaptation of some other, longer work. I am not saying that is what happened (at least, I don't think there's ever been an indication that was the case), just how came across to me as a viewer.

I dunno dude, I felt like the film 'utilized some semblance of filmmaking acumen' but that's not surprising since I think anno has a lot of filmmaking acumen

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nate RFB posted:

Yes, exactly, exactly, thank you.

Also the visual design for the flying battleship was a hodgepodge of garish poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zas posted:

I dunno dude, I felt like the film 'utilized some semblance of filmmaking acumen' but that's not surprising since I think anno has a lot of filmmaking acumen
The tired response would be a quip about Ridley Scott and Prometheus, but gently caress it that's exactly how I more or less feel about 3.33 so I guess I'll do it anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Prometheus was also a good film

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I think if your critique of 3 can be transposed almost entirely to EoE without losing any meaning, then that means you're looking at 3 in the wrong way and probably not fully engaging with it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

3.33 is filled with shots of Shinji being dwarfed by his surroundings (Where the previous movies showed a lot of warm, more intimate locations and shots), being visually separated from people thought he knew, being silently judged by others for reasons he doesn't understand etc. Even the aspect ratio is different from the first two Rebuilds, which just makes the difference in this world that more apparent.

The movie's visual style emphasizes this jarring, confusing disconnection from the world that Shinji experiences. To say the movie doesn't use "some semblance of filmmaking acumen" is just flatout incorrect.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 4, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Prometheus was also a good film

I don't understand how it's comparable to Rebuild 3.0 in any capacity

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gently caress prometheus

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

People get mad over both

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

They're both scifi movies that came out in 2012 and uh that's about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

They're both scifi movies that came out in 2012 and uh that's about it.

Holy cow that's a good av.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

Holy cow that's a good av.

Thanks! I nabbed it from Yes_Cantaloupe the Eva simulwatch thread when they put it up for grabs.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zas posted:

I think if your critique of 3 can be transposed almost entirely to EoE without losing any meaning, then that means you're looking at 3 in the wrong way and probably not fully engaging with it.

EoE didn't have a goofy angel-shaped spaceship which Katsuragi flew around in Battlestar Galactica Style, for one. It also didn't feature the camera jumping around desperately trying to track frantic globs of CGI poo poo.

Just off the top of my head.

EoE featured a lot of abstract symbolism and avant guarde cinematic techniques, but just because 3.33 contained (or at least attempted) a lot of the same doesn't mean a critique of one can be applied unilaterally to the other.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

People who hate Prometheus invariably seem to be the worst kind of geeks who think those "Honest Trailers" and "Eevrything Wrong with X Movie in X Seconds" videos aren't pustulating anti-intellectual tumors on the cultural consciousness.

I'm not surprised that geek culture simps have a hard time with Q.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I agree the films are very different, that's why it's fascinating (and I think a mark of success) to see such similar reaction. If Rebuild 3 had really been an EoE style film, it wouldn't have generated nearly as much hostility, people would just think "oh, he's being weird again."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

People who hate Prometheus invariably seem to be the worst kind of geeks who think those "Honest Trailers" and "Eevrything Wrong with X Movie in X Seconds" videos aren't pustulating anti-intellectual tumors on the cultural consciousness.

Source your quotes

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Zas posted:

I agree the films are very different, that's why it's fascinating (and I think a mark of success) to see such similar reaction. If Rebuild 3 had really been an EoE style film, it wouldn't have generated nearly as much hostility, people would just think "oh, he's being weird again."

Because EoE never generated any hostility or put people off.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zas posted:

EoE is very well paced and structured, despite being very surreal and absurd in many ways the way it flows from one scene to the next isn't jarring or leaving you feeling like you missed a bunch of content in between. It's also sort of apples and oranges anyway because of course EoE had the whole series to lead up to it, whereas 3.33 drops you in cold. You'd have to I dunno cut out the last 5-6 TV series to get the same sort of feeling of incongruity that 3.33 has.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Because EoE never generated any hostility or put people off.

it did in 97, now people have adapted to it and accepted it. it's not shocking anymore (well, it probably is for new people, but that's not the point)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I can see not hating Prmoetheus (I enjoyed parts of it myself, especially Michael Fassbender) but it was hardly a work of narrative or visual storytelling genius. It was mediocre at best.

Zas posted:

It will take a lot more than that to convince me that 3.33 is somehow some kind of double secret triple ironic meta bluff that is actually good instead of a series of fumbled attempts at profundity.
In terms of editing and visual aesthetic, I'd describe it as "Constantine meets Transformers" and narratively it's about as "thought provoking" and "complex" as M. Night Shamylan's "Lady in the Water."

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The day after the release of EoE, Hideaki Anno was snatched from his home, given a crown of laurels and carried down flower lined streets upon the shoulders of everyone in Japan, women begging on every street corner for him to teach them how to make love, taken to the Imperial Palace and given a sweet kiss on the forehead by the Emperor himself. Plans were made to carve his face into Mt. Fuji but that fell through due to lack of funds.

Everyone adored the film immediately. Anno was offered a position in the government as Comissioner of Really Good Movies but turned it down because he didn't want all the love to go to his head.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The day after the release of EoE, Hideaki Anno was snatched from his home, given a crown of laurels and carried down flower lined streets upon the shoulders of everyone in Japan, women begging on every street corner for him to teach them how to make love, taken to the Imperial Palace and given a sweet kiss on the forehead by the Emperor himself. Plans were made to carve his face into Mt. Fuji but that fell through due to lack of funds.

Everyone adored the film immediately. Anno was offered a position in the government as Comissioner of Really Good Movies but turned it down because he didn't want all the love to go to his head.

wow dude

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Zas posted:

it did in 97, now people have adapted to it and accepted it. it's not shocking anymore (well, it probably is for new people, but that's not the point)

They'll get used to Rebuild eventually or at least pretend they are so they don't seem painfully unhip about 20 year old amines in 2033

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't know people still posted like this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Applewhite posted:

I can see not hating Prmoetheus (I enjoyed parts of it myself, especially Michael Fassbender) but it was hardly a work of narrative or visual storytelling genius. It was mediocre at best.

It will take a lot more than that to convince me that 3.33 is somehow some kind of double secret triple ironic meta bluff that is actually good instead of a series of fumbled attempts at profundity.
In terms of editing and visual aesthetic, I'd describe it as "Constantine meets Transformers" and narratively it's about as "thought provoking" and "complex" as M. Night Shamylan's "Lady in the Water."

I disagree.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't really bring myself to hate the Wunder though, as silly and over the top as it is, just because the theme music it has when it takes flight is so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

In Training posted:

I didn't know people still posted like this.

It beats complaining about how the deliberately confusing movie was confusing.