Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if anything its a perfect time for a warm cup of cocoa and some anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I started 3.33 fully expecting another trippy mind-bending experience that would challenge me intellectually and aesthetically ,I was open to the idea that there wouldn't be any cool, climactic battles or awesome hardware. I was even expecting it would find a way to make me angry. What I ended up getting was a huge letdown. I'm not upset like "grr what is this??" I'm upset like "I know exactly what this is: it's poo poo."

I guess I can give Anno credit for still being able to surprise his audience because I'll admit that discovering 3.33 was bad was a complete surprise.

I think the biggest dissapointment is that we will not be seeing 4.0 for quite some time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I think the biggest dissapointment is that we will not be seeing 4.0 for quite some time.

I'll watch 4.0, but, unlike 3.33, I'm no longer stoked to see it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact that you're calling it poo poo while you previously complained that it was bad because Shinji wasn't a huge badass who finally manned up makes me think you weren't as prepared for those things as you claimed.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Foul Ole Ron posted:

They should put it up for preorder now so that people can have something on their amazon list again

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope Godzilla 2016 is secretly 4.0.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Which might be a good thing, imagin if you really wanted to see it ?

God knows when Anno is back in the mood to finish 4.0. Imagine that wait if you were stoked?

Jesus, we (me anyway) all need to get out more.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that you're calling it poo poo while you previously complained that it was bad because Shinji wasn't a huge badass who finally manned up makes me think you weren't as prepared for those things as you claimed.

I didn't say I was mad that Shinji wasn't a huge badass I said I was mad that he seemed to have completely undone all the character growth he underwent in 2.22 and reached new depths of being whiny and awful.

And no, I wasn't prepared for that. I guess I was expecting Shinji to have learned something.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
I had no idea there was more to Applewhite than being a GBS troll. He watches dumb animes in his free time just like I do. Fascinating.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Linnaeus posted:

They should put it up for preorder now so that people can have something on their amazon list again

I still have 3.33 cos its not out here for another couple of weeks.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I didn't say I was mad that Shinji wasn't a huge badass I said I was mad that he seemed to have completely undone all the character growth he underwent in 2.22 and reached new depths of being whiny and awful.

And no, I wasn't prepared for that. I guess I was expecting Shinji to have learned something.

He is, he is learning that life can be poo poo and for reasons outside his (your) control.

But that does not mean to give up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shinji's arc in 2.22 ends with him learning to ignore the well being of others and act selfishly to get what he wants. This same selfishness is what motivates him through the entirety of 3.33.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Console Role Player posted:

I had no idea there was more to Applewhite than being a GBS troll. He watches dumb animes in his free time just like I do. Fascinating.

I keep the trolling in GBS. When I post in other subforums its because I am interested in having a real discussion on that subforum's topic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Character growth isn't always inherently positive. This is true of Shinji in the original series as well where things become far worse for him (at about the exact same time in the series) and he responds badly to it. This is the dude who literally masturbated to a comatose girl and talked about how hosed up he was.

That's kind of why I'm stressing this point. This is Shinji becoming more broken and hosed up by the horrible events that happened to him. We're 3/4ths of the way through and 3/4ths of the way through is where things tend to be the worst for any protagonist, let alone an Evangelion protagonist. This is exactly where terrible things should be expected to happen.

I mean I can understand if you just don't find him sympathetic and that is completely your own prerogative, but I don't think Shinji ending up worse than he was before is an inherent flaw.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 4, 2016

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Character growth isn't always inherently positive. This is true of Shinji in the original series as well where things become far worse for him (at about the exact same time in the series) and he responds badly to it. This is the dude who literally masturbated to a comatose girl and talked about how hosed up he was.

That's kind of why I'm stressing this point. This is Shinji becoming more broken and hosed up by the horrible events that happened to him. We're 3/4ths of the way through and 3/4ths of the way through is where things tend to be the worst for any protagonist, let alone an Evangelion protagonist. This is exactly where terrible things should be expected to happen.

Exactly, 3.0 is the rebuild equivalent of the last half of the original series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Shinji's arc in 2.22 ends with him learning to ignore the well being of others and act selfishly to get what he wants. This same selfishness is what motivates him through the entirety of 3.33.

One of many things I really like about the Rebuilds is showing that Shinji truly has a lot in common with his father, even moreso than the series.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I got my 3.0 blu ray finally.

Now when am I gonna get my series on blu-ray in english!!!!!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I've said it before but the single greatest thing about Q is how it forced so many supposed die-hard fans to confront the fact that they don't "get" Evangelion nearly as well as they thought they did.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Srice posted:

One of many things I really like about the Rebuilds is showing that Shinji truly has a lot in common with his father, even moreso than the series.

Yeah, it's something I really enjoy about these movies. Gendo is the thing that Shinji is becoming without quite realizing it, though it's not quite too late for him to grow into something else either.

I think it goes to show too that Shinji's problem isn't just a lack of self-confidence. If anything his moments of greater confidence in Rebuild are when he's at his most Gendo-like.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 4, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm not up with all the cinematic lingo and such that can help me fully articulate my issues with 3.33. All I know is that I really enjoyed 1.11 and 2.22. I felt they had stunning visuals, intense emotion and rich, if at times heavy handed, symbolism (does everything need to be a cross?).

I didn't experience any joy, excitement, sadness or even puzzlement at 3.33. Just a sort of irritated disappointment. I kept waiting for the magic to happen and it didn't. I was not visually impressed or surprised by anything the movie threw at me.

Maybe 3.33 has excellent credentials on paper but I say the proof is in the pudding.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

You are mistaking the disappointment of your self-constructed expectations for a flaw in the work. It is not bad; merely not to your tastes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

best part of the eva simul:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the curse might some how reflect Annos mood about EVA at the time also?

He made a show with a pretty clear message, people still want more he makes a filn with a pretty clear message and people still wanted more. Hes cursed to say the same thing again and again and have people still want more.

3.0 is actually him artificially casuing people to question the show and demand more. Hes redoing. ... rebuilding the intial Eva process ..... but in control this time.

Also I want an angry Shinji coffee cup.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 4, 2016

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
3.0 is great

you have it all, laser beams in space, giant hosed up piles of corpses, a flirty piano sequence

what more could you want?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Srice posted:

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, it's something I really enjoy about these movies. Gendo is the thing that Shinji is becoming without quite realizing it, though it's not quite too late for him to grow into something else either.

I think it goes to show too that Shinji's problem isn't just a lack of self-confidence. If anything his moments of greater confidence in Rebuild are when he's at his most Gendo-like.
agree with this, the connection between shinji and his father as characters was one of the few things that felt underdeveloped in the show

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Sure dude

we'll see you back here in a few years

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mr. stefan posted:

You are mistaking the disappointment of your self-constructed expectations for a flaw in the work. It is not bad; merely not to your tastes.

Yeah well I find it difficult to believe I'm somehow watching it incorrectly. I thought I went into it with an open mind but if one of the requirements for enjoying 3.33 is to be open minded about it being mediocre then I guess I'm stuck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

3.0 is great

you have it all, laser beams in space, giant hosed up piles of corpses, a flirty piano sequence

what more could you want?

:agreed:

3.0 has some loving gorgeous cinematography.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Davincie posted:

prometheus was garbage

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked Asuka's eye patch.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nate RFB posted:

I liked Asuka's eye patch.

Yeah that was cool, and I appreciated that her Eva was also missing an eye.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Never thought I'd see a "Analyzing Symbols Is Dumb" post in the Evangelion thread.

It's probably the most logical place for it to happen, at least as long as CineD continues to have good moderation.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Yeah well I find it difficult to believe I'm somehow watching it incorrectly.

Well, I mean.

you finding it difficult to believe doesn't make it not true.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Applewhite posted:

I'm not up with all the cinematic lingo and such that can help me fully articulate my issues with 3.33. All I know is that I really enjoyed 1.11 and 2.22. I felt they had stunning visuals, intense emotion and rich, if at times heavy handed, symbolism (does everything need to be a cross?).

I didn't experience any joy, excitement, sadness or even puzzlement at 3.33. Just a sort of irritated disappointment. I kept waiting for the magic to happen and it didn't. I was not visually impressed or surprised by anything the movie threw at me.

Maybe 3.33 has excellent credentials on paper but I say the proof is in the pudding.

Applewhite posted:

Applewhite posted:

I started 3.33 fully expecting another trippy mind-bending experience that would challenge me intellectually and aesthetically ,I was open to the idea that there wouldn't be any cool, climactic battles or awesome hardware. I was even expecting it would find a way to make me angry. What I ended up getting was a huge letdown. I'm not upset like "grr what is this??" I'm upset like "I know exactly what this is: it's poo poo."

I guess I can give Anno credit for still being able to surprise his audience because I'll admit that discovering 3.33 was bad was a complete surprise.

Evangelion has succeeded. Thank you for watching.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

People who hate Prometheus invariably seem to be the worst kind of geeks who think those "Honest Trailers" and "Eevrything Wrong with X Movie in X Seconds" videos aren't pustulating anti-intellectual tumors on the cultural consciousness.

I'm not surprised that geek culture simps have a hard time with Q.

It was a lot of fun to be around nerds when Prometheus came out. Obviously the group consensus was that it was garbage and they were all happily stroking each other's egos for having the right movie opinions. But when pressed no one could really come up with anything more damning than Charlize Theron being dumb for not running sideways.

Of course these are the kind of people that get excited for every single super hero movie that comes out...

Though honestly I think it's fine not to like 3.33 as I'm not really all that satisfied with it myself, although that feeling basically covers the Rebuilds as a whole.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair Prometheus also became the rally point for reactionary contrarian nerds who wanted to pretend it was some deep movie rather than a rather generic space movie.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

It's basically a ropey B movie with a hollywood budget.

But yeah that one Prometheus thread was pretty special.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
where is toji

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He's probably dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think a kind of annnoying thing about 3.33 is that ultimately nothing really happened. They were spinning their wheels waiting for the finale which is still a long time off. The only advancement to the plot was:

-jump ahead 14 years to see a post-apocalyptic hellscape
-seele gets shut down
-kaworu dies
-fourth impact almost happens, but then it doesn't

Then at the end the characters are practically in the same situation as the beginning of the movie after Shinji gets busted out of stasis.

I like the movie, don't get me wrong. It just allllllllllmost felt like filler with nice visuals and amazing music.