Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

It's not so much that he "decided" so much as it is that when you're a Tokusatsu fan on the level that Anno is and someone asks you to helm motherfucking Godzilla, the only way you're going to say no and live with yourself is if a family member loving died and you have to make the arrangements.

I think what you do then is work the funeral into the movie.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell just give me the blue ray for the original and I would be fine.

Not sure what Funimation is waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mr. stefan posted:

It's not so much that he "decided" so much as it is that when you're a Tokusatsu fan on the level that Anno is and someone asks you to helm motherfucking Godzilla, the only way you're going to say no and live with yourself is if a family member loving died and you have to make the arrangements.

If I died and someone offered one of my friends or family the chance to direct Godzilla I'd want them to take it.

Midjack posted:

I think what you do then is work the funeral into the movie.

Oops, beaten to it on the new page.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Midjack posted:

Not sure what Funimation is waiting for.

I'm positive the holdup is on the Japanese side of the deals, Funi knows it would be easy money.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nyeehg posted:

Well, 3.33 isn't out here for another month so I can't check this but (MILD FINAL SCENE SPOILER):

Aren't Asuka, Shinji and Rei3 completely cut off from everyone at the end of the movie? I'm fairly sure they are stranded due to radio interference or something. Could be interesting to see how the next movie handles that

At any rate, I'm glad the US blu rays are finally out. With any luck, the UK shouldn't have any more delays.

Asuka mentions there's an L Barrier, which like a lot of things in 3.33 isn't defined! But there's some speculation about all the pilots being somehow altered, what with their no aging and Asuka specifically referring to the others as "Lillin". So it appears that there's something around ground zero that Shinji, Asuka and Rei can move about in but not the others in Wille. She mentions that they actually can't come and get them, too. I'm also like 90% sure it'll never get explained

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I am rewatching 3.33 with a friend right now.

It literally just dawned on us that Gendo and Fuyutuski are totally using Shinji as the fall guy for this Impact nonsense while they continue their convoluted multi-decade scheme.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Just watched 3.0 for the first time since its initial Japanese release. It's still good!

Raxivace posted:

Shinji's arc in 2.22 ends with him learning to ignore the well being of others and act selfishly to get what he wants. This same selfishness is what motivates him through the entirety of 3.33.

I actually disagree with this. The ending of 2.22 is one of the few times that he's acting selflessly without being ordered to. He's willing to rescue Rei with literally no care about what happens to him afterwards. It's just that his selfless act goes completely wrong for reasons that he couldn't have ever predicted. Predominantly because no-one ever tells him anything.

The world exists to tear Shinji down and force his worst traits to come to fore. In 3.33, the only two people who don't treat Shinji as if 1) he doesn't exist, 2) he's a tool, or 3) he's basically an inhuman threat are Kaworu and Touji's sister, who's barely a character. No-one tells him what's happening, what everyone by Kaworu tells him is probably systematically false to manipulate him. What's motivating him through (at least the second half of 3.33) is the desire to make things right, whether or not that's a selfish desire is arguable. It's just that because he doesn't understand the situation and he's so mentally broken, that he just proceeds to make things worse.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, I've finally seen Evangelion 3.33 now that it's on DVD in the US.

I really don't know what to think of it. It's certainly interesting and mostly just raises a lot of questions that will probably never get answered now :negative:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing I wish was different about 3 was that we could get more screen time than one 3 second shot of the female board operator from the show

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, it's something I really enjoy about these movies. Gendo is the thing that Shinji is becoming without quite realizing it, though it's not quite too late for him to grow into something else either.

I think it goes to show too that Shinji's problem isn't just a lack of self-confidence. If anything his moments of greater confidence in Rebuild are when he's at his most Gendo-like.

Quoting from a couple pages back, but I really liked it how at the end, Shinji starting sounding like a crazed super villain. I'm hoping he becomes a full on maniacal bad guy like dear old dad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

Just watched 3.0 for the first time since its initial Japanese release. It's still good!

I actually disagree with this. The ending of 2.22 is one of the few times that he's acting selflessly without being ordered to. He's willing to rescue Rei with literally no care about what happens to him afterwards. It's just that his selfless act goes completely wrong for reasons that he couldn't have ever predicted. Predominantly because no-one ever tells him anything.

The world exists to tear Shinji down and force his worst traits to come to fore. In 3.33, the only two people who don't treat Shinji as if 1) he doesn't exist, 2) he's a tool, or 3) he's basically an inhuman threat are Kaworu and Touji's sister, who's barely a character. No-one tells him what's happening, what everyone by Kaworu tells him is probably systematically false to manipulate him. What's motivating him through (at least the second half of 3.33) is the desire to make things right, whether or not that's a selfish desire is arguable. It's just that because he doesn't understand the situation and he's so mentally broken, that he just proceeds to make things worse.

Shinji is willing to save Rei at the cost of the entire world (Exactly like his father). This is not a good thing and if he really was that worried about Rei's safety he would never have left NERV in the first place. Like the day before this even happens too, Shinji attempts an armed insurrection against NERV, threatening to destroy "at least half of headquarters".

These are not the thoughts and actions of someone who is completely selfless- Shinji has regressed quite far from where he was in 1.11 by 2.22's end. 3.33 is him refusing to accept this fact and continuing to make selfish decisions, such as betraying his friends multiple times throughout the film.

Shinji forgot that he mustn't run away.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i had to show this to ~somebody~

YOU ARE [NOT] ABOUT THAT LIFE

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rei is pretty gangsta when you think about it.

Godzillion
Feb 29, 2016
Everything on that site is amazing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rei'll pull that trigger, too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'm just glad she's practicing proper trigger discipline

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

That Ayanami football tshirt is legit tempting.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Godzillion posted:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TenementFunster posted:

i had to show this to ~somebody~

YOU ARE [NOT] ABOUT THAT LIFE

This is an amazing shirt that I'm just not willing to drop 60 bucks on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rei is my trap empress

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Godzillion posted:

yeah i got this: http://mutantminds.bigcartel.com/product/who-cares

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I need a pen pen shirt

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hey, I'm bumping a dead rear end thread from the depths of the forum, but a friend of mine just watched Eva for the first time. This is cool because it's my favorite animu and I've wanted him to watch it forever. Last weekend we talked about it and it was mostly gushing about how genius certain scenes were and how great the characters are.

He described the scene where Eva-01 devours the angel as "beautiful in a very disturbing kind of way." And also, surprisingly, he liked the original show ending more than End of Eva and was really tickled at sitcom segment at the end of 26 because it was something he would have never expected.

We might watch the rebuilds on the coming weekend. While I adore the original Eva, I really have no strong feelings about the Rebuilds at all, really. I feel like the original is a classic whereas I'm not really sure what to think of the new movies as well, they aren't done. To be fair, I think my fondness for the original Eva partially stems from the fact that I would track down VHS tapes of it in high school and the box set was one of the first things I ever got on the at the time newfangled DVD format. The show blew my little 14-year old mind out of my head. It's probably a good thing my parents never watched it with me. Especially End of Eva. Holy poo poo.

Because of this, I went and read the entire Eva manga during downtime at work as I was kind of curious about it.

The Eva manga has a lot of neat character moments that weren't in the show and give us a lot of insight into the heads of characters other than Shinji. Namely, Rei, Gendo and Kaji. It also has a pretty happy, satisfying and optimistic ending which feels like it gives us the closure we didn't quite get before. That said, it definitely feels like it has a lot less bite than the anime, aside from having a character death that wasn't present in the anime. While still very dark, it isn't are relentlessly brutal as the anime, and omits the infamous "I'm so hosed up" scene. Shinji himself comes across as a bit more assertive and less pathetic.

Another thing that is either a big plus or big minus depending on who you ask, is the Eva manga pretty much explicitly explains everything. It kind of reminds me of how the movie versions of 2001 and the Shining are ambiguous and incomprehensible, but the books spell it all out for you. I suppose that makes sense, given how Eva feels very Stanley Kubrick to me. For better or worse, the manga pretty much explains whatever questions you may have from the anime in detail.

I kind of feel like the manga version of the story is almost more palatable to a wider audience in that everything makes sense and isn't as dark, but it might lose something from that, as well. I feel like the Rebuilds, it's not replacement for the original, but it's a nice supplement that provides a little more understanding to the source material.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I don't remember where I read it, but there was a theory going around that the Rebuild films were actually Anno's going through the different varieties of remake movies. The first two Rebuild movies anyway.

The first movie plays it very close to the source, adding very little original stuff while going through the early episodes almost scene by scene. The only real difference being that its a newer production. It reminded me of the 1998 Psycho remake, which was a near shot-by-shot remake.

The 2nd movie remakes the series while adding contemporary tropes and ideas. It felt like Anno answering the question of "What would Eva be like, if it was made today". For comparison, look to the deluge of horror movie remakes we've gotten over the years. Nightmare on Elm Street in 2010, Helloween in 2007 etc.

Though the theory does fall apart once we get to the 3rd movie, which is completely original.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

3.33 is the post-apocalyptic remake/sequel, I guess.

Like the original Mad Max compared to The Road Warrior and the other sequels, or something like that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Raxivace posted:

3.33 is the post-apocalyptic remake/sequel, I guess.

Like the original Mad Max compared to The Road Warrior and the other sequels, or something like that.

its fury road. think about it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fury Road is good though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Fury Road is good though

And so is 3.33.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope I don't die before Final comes out.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yall have probably seen this by now, but if not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw

anno's next

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

In Training posted:

Sometimes I worry about this and I hate myself for it.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I'm expendable, but it'd be really bad if Anno dies before it comes out :ohdear:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Fury Road owns but I'm really not sure what to think about Eva 3.33. It's certainly... different.

I'm just really intensely curious to see where Anno takes this. Sometimes I can take a guess about what a movie will be like, but I really have no earthly idea what they're going to do in Eva 4. Hopefully it actually gets made.

I've said it earlier (on this very page even, that's how long this thread's been dead) that I think it would be really cool if they really rolled with the Shinji & Gendo parallels in the last movie. Towards the end of 3.33, there's a glimmer of madness in Shinji's eyes. Imagine Shinji becoming a cold, manipulative bastard willing to destroy the whole world just to reunite himself with Yui Rei. I want to see Shinji wind up like this:

I'm kind of torn on the manga, though. While it explains everything, it also "softens" the story and makes it feel a little more cliche. For instance, Gendo explains his whole plan and eventually gets redemption at the end. (And I'm not sure how I feel about him explaining it all like a Bond super villain, like I said, a little cliche.) The infamous fapping scene doesn't happen. The ending presses a reset button and everyone lives happily ever after. The only thing in it that's darker is that Touji dies instead of just losing a leg.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

3.33 and Fury Road both own, and I consider them among the best films of I saw in 2012 and 2015 respectively.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Imagine Shinji becoming a cold, manipulative bastard willing to destroy the whole world just to reunite himself with Yui Rei.
This is basically the plot of 2.22, more or less.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raxivace posted:

This is basically the plot of 2.22, more or less.

there's nothing cold or manipulative about Shinji in 2.22 and there's nothing to suggest he had any idea what would happen

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well he does say gently caress the world if it Will save her but so does everyone else and apparently they don't mean it either so it might just be how they greet people or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well he does say gently caress the world if it Will save her but so does everyone else and apparently they don't mean it either so it might just be how they greet people or something.

It's neither quite "gently caress the world" nor "he doesn't really mean it." He means it, people are just incredibly off-base and uncharitable about what it means in context.

He says "What happens to me doesn't matter; what happens to the world doesn't matter. At least Ayanami -- I'll definitely save her!"

This isn't bargaining or foreknowledge of what the Eva can do. Shinji has been saving the world over and over again, alongside Rei, throughout the course of the two movies. What you're looking at there is fatigue. It's very similar to something you'll often hear soldiers say -- that they're not actually fighting for their country, or for a cause, or even so they themselves can survive, but rather, they're fighting for their buddies, their comrades, the guy next to them.

In Shinji's case there's an added layer of guilt, because Rei is in this situation because he was too afraid and she took it upon herself to go in his place. She didn't do this out of pure altruism, though -- she did it because she thinks she has no special worth. For Rei, sacrificing herself is unremarkable, and Shinji is reacting violently against this because it's wrong for Rei to have no self-worth. She's a kind and noble person and his friend. In the scene that immediately follows, Rei tells Shinji to give up, that it's too late for her, and that it's fine for her to die because she'll just be replaced. Shinji's attempt to save Rei is an act reaffirming her identity and worth when even she's stopped believing in it.

This is parallel to Gendo's relationship with Yui, but also completely different.

It's also worth noting that saving the world in that situation would mean killing Zeruel, which in turn would mean killing Rei. The world created a situation in which the only person who could save it, who's saved it over and over again at the expense of his own profound suffering, would have to sever one of his own last ties to humanity to do it, again. The scene creates a kind of Omelas-esque thought experiment about the sketchy boundaries of utilitarian thinking -- "does a world that can only survive by endlessly torturing a child for the good of others really have the right to exist? And what should we do, individually, if we lived in such a world?"

"This is the birth of a new life that transcends the Logos of this world. The cost of it is the elimination of older life."

This is an apocalyptic change, beyond a doubt, but it's not the end, and maybe what went before deserves to die out. And then Shinji's great mistake in 3.33 is not "he tries to do it again," but rather, he tries to put it all back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No I don't think he means it, he is just saying it because that is what Misato says to him earlier. He has literally no reason to say that in the context of that scene.

This also makes 3.33 a hilarious mess as it seems to retcon 2.22 end which is 3.33 biggest problem, it works fine alone but doesn't fit well as the third movie in a four movie set.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What's weird is 3.33 is a totally different movie from the preview at the end of 2.22, too.

Does anyone have a decent resource on cut Eva stuff? Like the plans for the 52 episode series that didn't pan out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rebuild 3 isn't a mess, it builds and follows up on everything I just said.

Don't think of the gap from Rebuild 2 to 3 as a "retcon" -- think of it as what it is, which is to say, ignorance and partial information. Trust what the movies show you, even if it means you have to distrust what characters tell you.