Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

This PC thing has gotten ridiculous. I had a "Preventing Sexual Harassment" training today that had a little questionnaire at the beginning. One of the questions was "Sometimes the clothes a person wears invites Sexual Harrassment, T/F" When discussing it an older woman says "Well the PC answer is no, but, the real answer is yes."

It should come as no surprise she had the most trouble in her workplace of dealing with S.H. in her work place of the 30 people there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know how its possible, but I ended up in an argument with TWO flat earthers on Facebook through a mutual friend. I didn't even really think anyone was actually serious and thought it was all satire when I first even heard of the flat Earth theory.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

As a teacher, I do not receive crazy emails but I do receive packages from the Church of Scientology to order DVDs to help my students find success.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

OxySnake posted:

This PC thing has gotten ridiculous. I had a "Preventing Sexual Harassment" training today that had a little questionnaire at the beginning. One of the questions was "Sometimes the clothes a person wears invites Sexual Harrassment, T/F" When discussing it an older woman says "Well the PC answer is no, but, the real answer is yes."

It should come as no surprise she had the most trouble in her workplace of dealing with S.H. in her work place of the 30 people there.

Unless the clothing has the words "I am explicitly inviting you to sexually harass me" printed on it, then I would probably answer no. Even if it did, I think it'd be very risky. The whole idea behind sexual harassment is that it's not welcome and it's not invited.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Puntification posted:

Am I reading it wrong or is the myth that black lives matter?

The myth is that Michael Brown had his hands up.

The riot cops coming out in full force the second protests started and that the report that "exonerated" the cop also talked about the cops of Ferguson preying on black people is completely forgotten, if it registered at all, even among ostensible moderates.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Got a few kneeslappers today

dohoho we're so loving clever

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
man i really regret we can never see all the pissy image macros the spartans would have made about the athenians

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SSNeoman posted:

Got a few kneeslappers today

dohoho we're so loving clever

So they're pro abortion after all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Your mom seems p okay with letting them in tho.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
So is it a bug or a feature for these guys that the Spartans practiced large-scale slavery and infanticide?

Mantis42 posted:

Your mom seems p okay with letting them in tho.
:eyepop:

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Polybius91 posted:

So is it a bug or a feature for these guys that the Spartans practiced large-scale slavery and infanticide?

:eyepop:

Not to mention spartans porking other dudes, it's ok though because they were slaves you see.

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anyone else get mass mailings from untreated schizophrenics at their work email?

Yes. I was a law enforcement officer at the Federal Reserve Bank.

We used to find handwritten notes shoved in cracks in the wall of the employee parking lot. It was pretty standard Federal Reserve, JFK, CIA, New World Order conspiracy theory stuff. All from the same guy. Our chief kept them in a folder.

We also had people come in wanting to "withdraw money" from their "account". I now realize that was probably some Sovereign Citizen thing. We had one teller window (they sold the rolls of state quarters and other collectible currency), and I'm not sure what she told those people to make them go away.

Most of our "walk-ins" were people trying to exchange mutilated currency or, more often, trying to get $1 for a couple of square inches of a dollar bill. We had a form explaining to them where to mail their partial or mutilated currency for exchange.

We were a small FRB branch, the main Banks probably have some good stories.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'll never get how a sovereign citizen simultaneously believes their bullshit and withdrawals from their secret fed bank will be worth something because fiat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought the belief was that the dollar has value because it's backed by the citizens, as in each one of them in their CAPITAL LETTER COLON: FORM is worth x number of dollars which is kept in a government account to keep the federal government running.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hell, Christianity in general to be honest, the Bible says you must completely submit to God, and we've already seen how Christians are attempting to instill shariaGod's law as American law.

You could try asking "so should we bar admission to any Christian immigrant who refuses to pledge that they'll honor the Constitution over the Bible?"

But it's a pretty good guess they'd just rebut that the Bible and Constitution are somehow totally in-synch, and incapable of causing conflicting allegiances.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'll never get how a sovereign citizen simultaneously believes their bullshit and withdrawals from their secret fed bank will be worth something because fiat.
In the famous Meads v. Meads case, I believe he requested the money (which he believed amounted to over a billion) in the form of gold or silver bullion. He also instructed the judge to pay any outstanding debts from the secret imaginary account.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wish the court had recorded it as Meads v. MEADS.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hmmm... Peter King supports(ed?) the IRA which killed civilians and police alike. However being angry that black people are killed for the crimes of "holding a toy", "looking older than they are", "possessing demon/Hulk Hogan strength", "wearing an anime costume", etc, etc, etc and non-violently protesting is beyond the pale and totally unreasonable. I wonder what the difference is hmmm...

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 9, 2016

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It doesn't have to be American crazy forwarded political email, right? Have an anti-LGBT (anti-human rights) screed written by an Indonesian Islamic writer. I translated it into English from Indonesian.

Translation Notes:
Rasulullah or Rasool is how Muslims sometimes refer to Muhammad.
Hadiths are quotations from Muhammad, passed down through a long list of people and become basis for Islamic way of life, as Muslims seek to replicate Rasulullah to be more faithful. The bolded names after the hadith in the text are basically the first people to say Muhammad said what he said.
Lot in the Koran went about the same thing in regards to Sodom and Gomorrah as Lot in the Bible. I think. The angels transform to handsome young boys in the Koran and the Sodomites wanted them more than Lot's daughters.

Al Islam posted:

Be Alert, the LGBT Virus Threatens the Ummah!

Recently, LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) issues are resurfacing. Few months ago the community was stirred by same-gender marriages in Bali that was done like a party. After that similar celebrations of same-gender marriages in Boyolali, Central Java. Most recently, this issue reared again after the appearance of counseling institution Support Group and Resource Center on Sexuality Studies (SGRC) at University of Indonesia (UI). Regarding the institution, the Minister of Research, Technology and Higher Education Mohamad Nasir said that LGBT groups must not enter campuses.

That statement received protest from pro-LGBT groups. As a response, through his twitter @mensristekdikti, Monday (25 Jan 2016), Nasir said "That doesn't mean I forbid all activities related to LGBT. Being lesbian or gay is an individual's right. As long as it doesn't disturb academic conduciveness."

LGBT Virus Invasion
From the start of 2000s, the LGBT virus began invading this country. The invasion here is done academically, politically and socially. Academically, LGBT ideas hide behind the excuse of academic examination. Plenty of LGBT organisations move from or in campuses and uttered LGBT ideas through writing. Politically they have done political movements: their activities in Bundaran Hotel Indonesia, trying to affect various policies and working together with various institutions, especially human right organizations. Socially, LGBT propaganda is spread through various means and mediums. Advocates and consultations from AIDS information organizations, film, field actions, culture, mass media, etc. The aim is to propagate LGBT ideas and change public attitude to be more tolerant and accepting of LGBT behaviours. One of them is the idea that LGBT is just an expression of sexual and gender from our genes.

Not Natural
LGBT is not scientifically proven to be from genetic factors. The gene coded "Xq28", that had been for a while now been claimed as the gene that brings about the homosexual phenotype, had been disproven as the source of homosexual attitudes.

In 1999, Professor George Rice from University of Western Ontario, Canada, along with his team did research on this. The results reveal no relation between Xq28 gene and male homosexuality. Research had also been done by Professor Alan Sanders from University of Chicago, in 1998-1998. The results also didn't support the genetic origins for homosexuality. Ruth Hubbard, an administrator from "The Council for Responsible Genetics" stated, "the search for a gay gene is not a beneficial one. I don't think there is one single gene that orders the incredibly complex human behaviours."

So, LGBT behaviours are not natural, not from your ancestors. LGBT behaviours are not something that can be "forced upon" so that it can't be rejected.

The Excuse of Freedom and Human Rights
The spreading of LGBT behaviours and ideas uses the excuse of freedom and human rights. LGBT is justified with the idea of moral and truth relativity. Essentially, there is not one single truth that applies to everyone. Truth is complex, depending on individuals, cultures, and certain social contexts. Everybody must be tolerant with how others determine what's right or wrong. As such, according to this idea LGBT behaviours must not be seen as deviant, immoral and abnormal. According to this idea, LGBT is just one of the various sexual orientations just like the various tribes, religions, races and cultures in the community. LGBT behaviours are humanized with the excuse that it harms nobody. What's important is that sexual behaviours are safe, comfortable and responsible. The community then is demanded to be tolerant to the deviant LGBT acts.

Other than that everyone is free to express themselves and that is a part of human rights. From the perspective of freedom and human rights, LGBT people are just expressing the sexual orientation and gender identity that they have chosen as part of their rights. With this excuse, objections towards LGBT matters become human right violations.

The View of Islam
This idea of freedom and human rights that form the base for justifying deviant sex acts including LGBT, is an idea that conflicted and went against Islam. In Islam, humans aren’t completely free. His views and behaviours must be connected with Islamic law. A Muslim are not free to think and act as he likes according to his desires. Allah SWT said:
Whatever the Rasool gives you, take it and from whatever he forbids you, refrain from it. (Koran 59:7)

As such in Islam the country had the responsibility to build and fertilize faith and piety in its citizens. With that piety then the ideas and behaviours that broke Islamic laws, including LGBT, can be prevented and minimized from the populace.

Allah explains that the aim of creating men and women is to ensure the continuation of the human race with all its dignity (Koran 4:1). That’s why the only sexual relationships that are permitted in Islam are those within the bonds of legitimate marriage. Every other sexual acts outside marriage is illegal and deviant. Lesbian, homosexual, anal sex, adultery, are all deviant sexual acts; they cannot be seen as something normal. All of those is a threat for the existence of the human community with all its dignities.

There is also a hadith that specifically explains that homosexuality is an accursed behaviour. Rasulullah said

quote:

Accursed are those who did what those from the clan of Lot did (homosexuality) (At-Tirmidzi and Ahmad from Ibn Abbas)

Transgender behaviours is also scorned upon in Islam. Ibn Abbas said:

quote:

Rasulullah curses women that resembles men and men that resembles women (Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidzi, Ibn Majah and Ahmad).

That is why in Islam, LGBT is clearly astray and abnormal. LGBT ideas are haram. LGBT acts are sinful acts. Thus LGBT ideas must not be spread within the community. Whoever spreads, supports and justifies LGBT ideas has clearly sinned and deserved punishment as per Islamic law. In Islam, a country must clean and keep the populace away from LGBT ideas.

Islam judged homosexuality as a sin and a big evil. Islam established heavy legal punishments for the performers. Whoever did the deeds of the Messenger Lot’s clan and was proven with legal evidence, then the performer and his pair must be put to death, of course as long as it is done voluntarily, not with force. Ibnu Abbas says, Rasulullah dictated:

quote:

Whomever you have found did the deeds of Lot’s clan, kill the subjects and objects. (Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidzi, Ibnu Majah and Ahmad).

Dear Ummah:
With that Islamic provision, the community can be kept as humans, separate from animals. The community can also be kept away from various dangerous ideas and activities including LGBT. That will all be perfectly materialized if Islamic Sharia is applied totally and exhaustively. That is the importance of establishing Khilafah Rasyidah ’ala minhaj an-nubuwwah as a system from Islam to apply all Islamic laws. Because of that, acting and applying Sharia totally and exhaustively under Khilafah Rasyidah ’ala minhaj an-nubuwwah system must be the vital and main agenda for the Ummah. All elements of the Ummah must work hard to establish as soon as possible the Khilafah Rasyidah ’ala minhaj an-nubuwwah.

"Khilafah Rasyidah ’ala minhaj an-nubuwwah" is the period after Muhammad's death when the 'leader of the Ummah' is a succession of Muhammad's closest companions up until Ali's death. This period and the period of Muhammad's prophetic leadership is seen as the best time to be Muslim.

Al-Islam Commentary is usually about recent news.

”Al-Islam Commentary” posted:

MUI (Indonesian Ulama Council) released an official statement regarding Gerakan Fajar Nusantara (Gafatar) (Archipelago Dawn Movement). That organisation had mixed religious teachings. “They combined three religions. There’s a book,” said the Chief of MUI Assesment and Research Comission, Utang Ranuwijaya in the official statement. He also stated that the followers of Gafatar believed the existence of a prophet after Prophet Muhammad. This prophetic figure that was considered to receive messages from God is Ahmad Musadeq.

• Those are misguided teachings, according to MUI’s 10 Criteria.
  • The rise of misguided teachings in this country is because of secularism, freedom and human rights. It’s time to abandon all of those.
  • Apply sharia under the system of Khilafah Rasyidah ‘ala minhaj an-nubuwwah, undoubtedly Islam and its ummah will be protected from these misguided schools of belief.

In case you wanted to know, the relevant parts of the "10 Criteria" that Archipelago Dawn Movement fulfilled to be 'misguided' is claiming there's more of Allah's message after the Koran and claiming Muhammad isn't the last prophet.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 9, 2016

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

man i really regret we can never see all the pissy image macros the spartans would have made about the athenians

"Throughout the rest of Hellas the custom on the part of those who claim to educate their sons in the best way is as follows. As soon as the children are of an age to understand what is said to them they are immediately placed under the charge of Paidagogoi, who are also attendants, and sent off to the school of some teacher to be taught "grammar," "music," and the concerns of the palestra. Besides this they are given shoes to wear which tend to make their feet tender, and their bodies are enervated by various changes of clothing. And as for food, the only measure recognised is that which is fixed by appetite.

But when we turn to Lycurgus, instead of leaving it to each member of the state privately to appoint a slave to be his son's tutor, he set over the young Spartans a public guardian, the Paidonomos to give them his proper title, with complete authority over them. This guardian was selected from those who filled the highest magistracies. He had authority to hold musters of the boys, and as their overseer, in case of any misbehaviour, to chastise severely. The legislator further provided his pastor with a body of youths in the prime of life, and bearing whips, to inflict punishment when necessary, with this happy result that in Sparta modesty and obedience ever go hand in hand, nor is there lack of either." - Xenophon, The Polity of the Lacedaemonians

Tl;dr version: Those loving pansies wear shoes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sparta's greatest military innovation was contributing 10% of the fighting force and taking 90% of the credit, not unlike the white people shrieking about making America great again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

toanoradian posted:

It doesn't have to be American crazy forwarded political email, right? Have an anti-LGBT (anti-human rights) screed written by an Indonesian Islamic writer. I translated it into English from Indonesian.

Just out of curiousity can you post or PM me the original? I speak Indonesian so I'm interested in the unfiltered crazy.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

"Throughout the rest of Hellas the custom on the part of those who claim to educate their sons in the best way is as follows. As soon as the children are of an age to understand what is said to them they are immediately placed under the charge of Paidagogoi, who are also attendants, and sent off to the school of some teacher to be taught "grammar," "music," and the concerns of the palestra. Besides this they are given shoes to wear which tend to make their feet tender, and their bodies are enervated by various changes of clothing. And as for food, the only measure recognised is that which is fixed by appetite.

But when we turn to Lycurgus, instead of leaving it to each member of the state privately to appoint a slave to be his son's tutor, he set over the young Spartans a public guardian, the Paidonomos to give them his proper title, with complete authority over them. This guardian was selected from those who filled the highest magistracies. He had authority to hold musters of the boys, and as their overseer, in case of any misbehaviour, to chastise severely. The legislator further provided his pastor with a body of youths in the prime of life, and bearing whips, to inflict punishment when necessary, with this happy result that in Sparta modesty and obedience ever go hand in hand, nor is there lack of either." - Xenophon, The Polity of the Lacedaemonians

Tl;dr version: Those loving pansies wear shoes.

Let's not forget that Xenophon was an Athenian who fetishized Sparta. He was the Ancient Greek equivalent of the US Conservatives who fetishize Putin and Russia.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

Lotta stuff in the comments comparing the KKK to the Black Panthers. Yep, they're very similar.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Someone should tell Coldplay they are black now.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Radish posted:

Get with the program. Beyonce is racist and Coldplay is selling sodomy to our children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't buy sodomy from coldplay.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't blame them for selling sodomy, it's much more enjoyable than their music.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
Coldplay wrote a song called "The Scientist"

Scientists experiment

Think about it sheeple.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Radish posted:

Bruno Mars too for that matter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

You could try asking "so should we bar admission to any Christian immigrant who refuses to pledge that they'll honor the Constitution over the Bible?"

But it's a pretty good guess they'd just rebut that the Bible and Constitution are somehow totally in-synch, and incapable of causing conflicting allegiances.

It's a very common belief that the Constitution was dictated by God among evangelicals, actually.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's a very common belief that the Constitution was dictated by God among evangelicals, actually.

When you say evangelicals, who are you referring to specifically? I'd like to know the sorts of people to point moderate Christians at to let them know just how insane some of their peers are.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I want to see the person who made this who is almost assuredly overweight and neither a warrior nor a survival expert

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

When you say evangelicals, who are you referring to specifically? I'd like to know the sorts of people to point moderate Christians at to let them know just how insane some of their peers are.

Far right fundies. Some denominations are explicitly evangelical but evangelicals crop up in literally every flavor of Christianity. They tend to be rural and white. Where I live they're typically Methodists or Presbyterians. Others are Catholic. Some are Baptists.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

I only found one hit on FSTDT

Crazy Guy posted:

Satan's dark, spiritual firepower is directed at destroying America's moral fiber. The national fabric is literally unraveling as each volley slams against our most basic institutions and against the Constitution God gave our founding fathers the wisdom and discernment to form.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
FSTDT's search only checks for exact matches.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Verisimilidude posted:

I want to see the person who made this who is almost assuredly overweight and neither a warrior nor a survival expert

That website in the corner of the pic sells this

quote:

ALL-PURPOSE VIKING SALVE
100% NATURAL. NO PRESERVATIVES. NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS. NO SYNTHETIC ELEMENTS.

Traditional nordic ingredients. All naturally extracted without the use of chemicals. Handmade with natural seed oils, sheep wool oil, bees wax, honey, plant extracts, and naturally extracted essential oils.

seems legit

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's actually a Mormon thing. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the evangelicals that believe the Constitution was dictated by God were regular viewers of Glen Beck's Fox News show, as he often used the phrase "divinely inspired Constitution".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

madlobster posted:

It's actually a Mormon thing. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the evangelicals that believe the Constitution was dictated by God were regular viewers of Glen Beck's Fox News show, as he often used the phrase "divinely inspired Constitution".

Mormonism specifically has that as part of Church doctrine. Other denominations do not have that but that doesn't stop people from believing it.