Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I was meaning more how much of a nosedive the animation took when he first appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh well yeah

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, all of that happened :staredog:

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

-Troika- posted:

Understatement of the year

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

-Troika- posted:

:stonklol:

I hate that I enjoy this stupid show. So what are they called now Team JNRR? Rip Pyrrha :'(

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Milli posted:

I hate that I enjoy this stupid show. So what are they called now Team JNRR? Rip Pyrrha :'(
I prefer Team RRNJ (Orange)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Supersonic Shine posted:

I prefer Team RRNJ (Orange)

I've heard RNJR (Ranger)

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

That was grim.

At least it won't be solved with a magical handwave this time.

I like how Ruby went sad for a few seconds after realising Pyrrha's death and then went straight into "Oh silver eyes, what's that mean?" I know she was in some sort of coma (Though how long is unexplained) but I Imagine it wasn't long enough for the rest of JNR to be high in spirits over their sudden teammates's death.

Though I'm glad monotone voice actor has been replaced if the ending was any indication. And I guess Clockwork Villian isn't coming back if they went that far enough.

Ah well. At least the shippers will be crying salt for a while.

Is it me or did the writing went the RVB route of being fun hearted then going straight into darker and more dramatic all of a sudden?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Extreme0 posted:

Is it me or did the writing went the RVB route of being fun hearted then going straight into darker and more dramatic all of a sudden?

Yep. At least Ruby/Juane/Ozpin didn't turn out to be an AI all along.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 14, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Extreme0 posted:

It's been heading this way from season 1, following the seasonal format of 'starts out light hearted, then gets heavier until the climax.'

This climax is just particularly deep since it's THE downer climax.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 14, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I know it's not the same bird by a long shot but I can't help thinking Ruby accidently drop kicked Qrow all the way back in Season 1 so, you know, that takes the sting out of things.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

That finale was pretty cool until I realisedPyrhha died because welp we needed the steaks to be raised and guess Jaune needs some motivation

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That ticket had practically been punched as soon as Penny 'died' so, eh.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 14, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So I see the writers were fans of Evangelion's second episode. :v:

Minus the whole 'tell the protagonist they won, show the viewers how it went down at the end' bit.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know it's not the same bird by a long shot but I can't help thinking Ruby accidently drop kicked Qrow all the way back in Season 1 so, you know, that takes the sting out of things.

That would actually be preety funny if that was the case.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pretty great finale. The show finally seems to be firing on all cylinders.

One thing I saw pointed out was this. Wtf? It looks like Cinder actually starts to tear up when Pyyrha asks her about destiny. I love that subtle bit of charactisation and it makes me wander how this fits into her backstory. Was she forced into this? It didn't seem so in that flashback ep.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Pretty great finale. The show finally seems to be firing on all cylinders.

One thing I saw pointed out was this. Wtf? It looks like Cinder actually starts to tear up when Pyyrha asks her about destiny. I love that subtle bit of charactisation and it makes me wander how this fits into her backstory. Was she forced into this? It didn't seem so in that flashback ep.

By the flashback ep she was deep into the plan, for all we know she was raised or goaded into this from a young age. Would be a parallel to the freelancer program from RVB

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

After Season 2, I can't believe this ended with stuff actually happening.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well they got miles to help write it and he's been good on RvB I hear?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Well they got miles to help write it and he's been good on RvB I hear?

He's been writing from the beginning.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Seriously , it's like they went "Oh you guys want consequences?" Really liked the bit at the end where Glynda tries to mend things with the same handwave she did at the end of Season 2 and fails miserably. I'd be surprised if that wasn't a direct shoutout.

That said, this last episode was really strange for me to watch, particularly Ruby going full Winter(?) Maiden and nuking Cinder plus Dragon. They spent the entire last three seasons including the first half of the last episode of the third season building up Cinder as a giant threat and introduced the Dragon as a big loving deal, and both of them die in seconds. That's anticlimactic as gently caress and felt like an enormous deus ex machina. On the other hand, if that means I won't have to hear those two voices again, it's a clear plus.

Also lol at anyone who believed Cinder and Pyrra were safe because Monty hired their voice actors. The end honestly felt a bit like the writers wanted to dump some of the stuff they never liked.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Narratively Seasons 1-3 have been one season. Think of them as Acts more than actual seasons, they fit better that way. I'm rather curious why they chose to call each segment a Season though (there's a couple reasons I can think of off-hand why they would.)

Regarding the actual finale now that it's open to the public:
The attention to detail is great. Jaune getting put in a locker again, the tears, Silver Eyes, Yang's slight hesitation etc. They know what they're doing they're just doing it a really weird and abrupt way. Kind of like an animator who knows all of his key frames but has to put it all together by hand. It's an interesting meta to ponder.

I do hope they do longer episodes now that they have an opportunity to get on better software and such. RWBY's shortness seems to be it's biggest problem in my eyes.

Main surprise is the Silver Eye thing. Same problem with the Maidens, really could have used a bit more foreshadowing than it got although it did get more due to how Ruby's Mom was subtly built up.
Pyrrha did what she could and her demise fits her character, (the line about destiny is particularly poignant) it wasn't because Jaune needed motivation.
RWBY breaking up was also on the low end of probability but it doesn't feel weird that it happened this way, Weiss and Blake have their lose ends that forced their issue, Yang needs time to recover and decide if she'll go ROCKET PUNCH or something and Ruby is the simple soul that will actually get things done before getting the group back together.

Stormgale posted:

By the flashback ep she was deep into the plan, for all we know she was raised or goaded into this from a young age. Would be a parallel to the freelancer program from RVB
Probably by Lady Palpatine. Parallel to that program and opposite of the Huntsman system it seems, considering Cinder's connection to the Grimm

Edit: Regarding ^^^^^^^ yeah, Glynda's appearance looks like a direct shout out to that. It's great.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

That said, this last episode was really strange for me to watch, particularly Ruby going full Winter(?) Maiden and nuking Cinder plus Dragon. They spent the entire last three seasons including the first half of the last episode of the third season building up Cinder as a giant threat and introduced the Dragon as a big loving deal, and both of them die in seconds. That's anticlimactic as gently caress and felt like an enormous deus ex machina. On the other hand, if that means I won't have to hear those two voices again, it's a clear plus.

Dragon and Cinder are both still alive and the latter probably isn't even harmed. So she will still be around to bore us for many more seasons to come.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Main surprise is the Silver Eye thing. Same problem with the Maidens, really could have used a bit more foreshadowing than it got although it did get more due to how Ruby's Mom was subtly built up.
Pyrrha did what she could and her demise fits her character, (the line about destiny is particularly poignant) it wasn't because Jaune needed motivation.

Eh I mean it sorta feels ok? If we take it as pyrrha being ozpin's ace in the hole and failing but still her going up to the tower felt kinda forced and her death served more of a narrative "We need her dead now" rather than the story serving the characters

The cinder eye thing Could just be her wierd white eye reflections

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

On the other hand, if that means I won't have to hear those two voices again, it's a clear plus.

What's wrong with the Dragon's voice? Hell does it even have a voice?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

What's wrong with the Dragon's voice? Hell does it even have a voice?

I meant Pyrra and Cinder. Pyrra at least is as dead as any character can be in this show. Shot through the heart, body burned to ash, place of death nuked by tactical ruby strike. Shame about Cinder, but at least we got one second of her being caught seriously off-guard. After three seasons of Cinder being vaguely and smugly evil it was a breath of fresh air.

EDIT: Just realized that they killed off the single confirmed ship of the show on loving Valentine's day lol

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 15, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I haven't been reading your spoilers because the simulwatch is more fun. How many new avatars do I have to buy Baal?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm probably going to call it bad because just forcing consequences into this season amongst the myriad of other things is stupid so a lot

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

No way in gently caress is Cinder dead; she hasn't had an episode revealing her cliched tragic past before starting her whole 'become a maiden' thing.

Plus, well, more logically: If she's dead, why would Ruby be waking up without displaying her powers? By the show's own logic, she'd fit all of the criteria: young, a woman, and the last person Cinder would be thinking about in her final moments.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pavlov posted:

I haven't been reading your spoilers because the simulwatch is more fun. How many new avatars do I have to buy Baal?

it's best just to have a picture of an urn ready.

Regalingualius posted:

Plus, well, more logically: If she's dead, why would Ruby be waking up without displaying her powers? By the show's own logic, she'd fit all of the criteria: young, a woman, and the last person Cinder would be thinking about in her final moments.

Actually we don't need to speculate for this is the new fall maiden.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

I'm assuming someone dies, depends if it's someone I like

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is it safe to assume the show is still garbage, but now given a superficial sense of depth and characterization because they added arbitrary tragedy?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Is it safe to assume the show is still garbage, but now given a superficial sense of depth and characterization because they added arbitrary tragedy?

Eh, I wouldn't call it arbitrary. They have done a not completely terrible job of highlighting character's flaws and then showing how those flaws cause them to act in a predictable but tragic manner. At least i didn't get the impression that they just flipped a coin when they decided who lived and who died.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Neeksy posted:

You should watch the synchtube of all 3 seasons when I run it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I don't know if I can handle all that rwby at once.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

I don't know if I can handle all that rwby at once.

It's the wall of pain which the last episodes of season 3 will hide behind

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Extreme0 posted:

it wasn't long enough for the rest of JNR to be high in spirits over their sudden teammates's death.

The shot of the leaf falling to the ground, then transitioning to the same shot, but with snow covering everything, indicates that at least one season has passed between Ruby waking up, and team RRNJ embarking on their journey

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 15, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So probably not completely back to working speed but probably past the greater majority of the stuff that would probably cause the story to come to a crashing halt for them to deal with.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Eh, I'm calling decent odds that the next season will have a scene where Jean has a heart to heart with Pyrrha's ghost (because magic) where he admits he still hasn't gotten over it, is going on the mission for revenge, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I'm calling decent odds that the next season will have a scene where Jean has a heart to heart with Pyrrha's ghost (because magic) where he admits he still hasn't gotten over it, is going on the mission for revenge, etc.

Hmnn that sounds plausible but familiar Glynda, Release my pain inhibitors!

• Locked thread