Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

the swiss guard can ride dorky dad motorcycles a respectful distance behind the pope-vespa

only if they still dress like landsknechts and paint their hogs accordingly

Farm Frenzy posted:

it'd be way cooler if the entire vatican had to slowly march around in a huge procession on foot, imho

i like this option better though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

crossposting:

Jeb! finally above single digits!

3% Bush family supporters, 30% liking that he's running for president, failing badly and letting Trump remind everyone how lovely they all are.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pick posted:

Wow, he speaks passionately about helping the poor and yet sits on top of the wealthiest organization in the world, instead of only paying lip service to the poor and sitting on top of the wealthiest organization in the world

He doesn't live in the papal apartments! Instead he lives in a properly electrified apartment. sorry you assumed the papal apartments are nice.

compared to the hitler youth cat fancier & former head of the Actual Office of the Freaking Inquisition (Which Is Apparently Still a Thing?), or the senile old pole who was skeptical of poverty ministry because it sounded an awful lot like communism, the argentinian possible-collaborator (?) is a breath of fresh air

the standards for popes are so low you need an excavation permit from the city to get a good look at them

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
By this point I'm so deeply engrossed in this absurd election cycle that I've no idea how I'm going to readjust to life in the outside world when it's all over.

I've become institutionalized.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
The Pope not only has massive walls, but a force of 110 personal bodyguards armed with the following weapons:

SIG P220 (P75)
Glock 19
Steyr TMP
Heckler & Koch MP5A3
Heckler & Koch MP7A1
SIG SG 550

Who take the following oath:

quote:

I swear I will faithfully, loyally and honourably serve the Supreme Pontiff Francis and his legitimate successors, and also dedicate myself to them with all my strength, sacrificing if necessary also my life to defend them. I assume this same commitment with regard to the Sacred College of Cardinals whenever the see is vacant. Furthermore I promise to the Commanding Captain and my other superiors, respect, fidelity and obedience.

There is no :ironicat: big enough for the Pope's hypocrisy in telling other people to "build bridges instead of walls" when he lives in opulence behind giant walls protected by his own private army.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Pick posted:

Wow, he speaks passionately about helping the poor and yet sits on top of the wealthiest organization in the world, instead of only paying lip service to the poor and sitting on top of the wealthiest organization in the world

He doesn't live in the papal apartments! Instead he lives in a properly electrified apartment. sorry you assumed the papal apartments are nice.

"cool pope" is relative. relative to "nazi pope" "senile pope", "murdered by the illuminati pope" and "random succession of medici rear end pope/kings"

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Korelle posted:

By this point I'm so deeply engrossed in this absurd election cycle that I've no idea how I'm going to readjust to life in the outside world when it's all over.

I've become institutionalized.

you're in luck, none of us gets to go back to a normal world when all this is over

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Inquisition (Which Is Apparently Still a Thing?)

The Spanish Inquisition isnt what is supposed to happen with the Inquisition, at least.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pick posted:

also he will pay lip service to liberal causes but never actually do anything liberal in the papacy, like allowing women into the priesthood, or stop their incredibly regressive battle agaisnt gay marriage and contraception

babypolis fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 19, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

Will the endorsements from Obama and the Pope help Trump in SC?

I'd guess yes, SC is mostly the sects of Christianity that don't like the pope all that much and US conservative catholics tend not to not like this current pope very much either. What you will find is that how liberal catholic church is will be more a function of the surrounding environment (more liberal on the east coast, conservative in the midwest and south, etc.) than any sort of top down thing you might expect from the rigid hierarchical structure of the church. Pope says climate change real, so what ; sort of thing. They probably loved every second of Trump hitting back.

If the issue stays alive it could hurt him in the long run, but this will probably be rapidly drowned out of the news cycle by other things like syria. I also think the majority of americans will find the pope interjecting politically distasteful but who knows- it will be interesting to see what polling says on that (I assume someone will ask).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Saurus posted:

The Pope not only has massive walls, but a force of 110 personal bodyguards armed with the following weapons:

SIG P220 (P75)
Glock 19
Steyr TMP
Heckler & Koch MP5A3
Heckler & Koch MP7A1
SIG SG 550

There is no :ironicat: big enough for the Pope's hypocrisy in telling other people to "build bridges instead of walls" when he lives in opulence behind giant walls protected by his own private army.

The office has a rich history of assassination attempts.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Saurus posted:

SIG P220 (P75)
Glock 19
Steyr TMP
Heckler & Koch MP5A3
Heckler & Koch MP7A1
SIG SG 550

he's the pope

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
I asked my Catholic co-worker what he thought and he said the Pope is the devil.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The Saurus posted:

I like the increasingly stringent requirements on what it supposedly means to be a good Catholic. Before Francis it was drilled in everyone's heads that you had to oppose abortion, contraception, homosexuality, etc. So basically if you're not a Republican you're not a good Catholic. Now with Francis you have to still oppose that stuff but also oppose border walls, guns, and trickle down economics. Who the gently caress is even left that still fits these criteria?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I like the increasingly stringent requirements on what it supposedly means to be a good Catholic. Before Francis it was drilled in everyone's heads that you had to oppose abortion, contraception, homosexuality, etc. So basically if you're not a Republican you're not a good Catholic. Now with Francis you have to still oppose that stuff but also oppose border walls, guns, and trickle down economics. Who the gently caress is even left that still fits these criteria?

that just sounds like the sort of conservatism that exists in huge portions of the world outside of the US

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm pretty mad that I was constantly busy all day on the day when we got a press release titled "Donald J. Trump's Response to the Pope". :negative:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i hear the papacy is some SJW Bullshit now..... hell of a world we live in

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

I'm pretty mad that I was constantly busy all day on the day when we got a press release titled "Donald J. Trump's Response to the Pope". :negative:

Lol

MaxxBot posted:

Sounds like UKIP.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

More people than you'd think, but not as many in the US as elsewhere.

A good portion of Catholics opposed to birth control/abortion are really just opposed to it on paper and would rather just not think about it at all, considering it not terribly relevant. The drums of war against those in the US are primarily evangelical

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

lmao at everyone in this thread actually talking about this whole pope fiasco

trump is playing you guys like a fine stradivarius violin

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

i hear the papacy is some SJW Bullshit now..... hell of a world we live in

Trump will destroy it like all the other sjws by being rude.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just had this insane thought. Maybe the Pope meant bridges and walls as METAPHORS?

nah, couldnt be

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

blue squares posted:

I just had this insane thought. Maybe the Pope meant bridges and walls as METAPHORS?

nah, couldnt be

forget it jake, its tcottown

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

blue squares posted:

nah, couldnt be

From the people not even willing to accept the camel through the eye of a needle metaphor?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The weird thing is: just last night I read the chapter in The Price of Folly on Pope Leo X, who was basically the Donald Trump of Popes.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Joementum posted:

The weird thing is: just last night I read the chapter in The Price of Folly on Pope Leo X, who was basically the Donald Trump of Popes.

Gun to your head: Who's taking second in SC? YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocks posted:

lmao at everyone in this thread actually talking about this whole pope fiasco

trump is playing you guys like a fine stradivarius violin

i mostly hope that the Trump/Pope Feud culminates in an American invasion of the Vatican in year 1 or 2 of the Trumpenreich. It's about time the last capitalist world empire conquered Rome.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just for a second...imagine.

Next year, 2017, will be the 500th birthday of the Protestant Reformation.

We could find ourselves under President Donald Trump, a man who now has a personal, public grudge against the Roman Pontiff.

Imagine the festivities Trump will organize. Martin Luther Day, a new federal holiday just to spite Rome? People around the country hammering sheets of paper onto church doors?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zeal posted:

i mostly hope that the Trump/Pope Feud culminates in an American invasion of the Vatican in year 1 or 2 of the Trumpenreich. It's about time the last capitalist world empire conquered Rome.

what the gently caress would we want with a bunch of shiftless italians and old stone penises knocked off roman statues

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

a cop posted:

Gun to your head: Who's taking second in SC? YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE

Is there a name inscribed on the barrel of the gun and is the person pointing it at me whispering, "America"?

This is kind of important.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Baloogan posted:

this ^^ is what it sounds like when you shift paradigms without a clutch.
Do you end up with gravy on your dipstick?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I think the pope really phrased his comment poorly. Something like "I don't think a good Christian should support building a wall" is relatively inoffensive and is just stating an opinion on moral behavior. Instead he just flat out declared "A person who thinks only about building walls — wherever they may be — and not building bridges, is not Christian". That seems very judgmental on the inner state of someone's spiritual identity. It also makes it easy for Trump's supporters to project themselves into the situation. (Is the Pope saying that because I support building the wall I'm not a Christian? Who does he think he is to pass judgement on me!?)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zeal posted:

rome already got conquered by a modern capitalist state back in the 1870s

donald trump will Make Italy Great Again

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Patter Song posted:

Imagine the festivities Trump will organize. Martin Luther Day, a new federal holiday just to spite Rome? People around the country hammering sheets of paper onto church doors?

If there's candy given out i'm in

edit: not peeps though. papists you have to give us the good candy

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i most people would agree that the whole "italy" thing was a mistake. garibaldi, i love you man, but you got that one wrong

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

what the gently caress would we want with a bunch of shiftless italians and old stone penises knocked off roman statues

that's how it is now, but imagine the old Roman Forum or the Flavian Ampthitheater once Trump has had time to redevelop the city as a Trump Organization Property, circa Trumpenreich 4-6. He'll probably even remake the Baths of Caracalla as a day spa.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Farm Frenzy posted:

that just sounds like the sort of conservatism that exists in huge portions of the world outside of the US

Usually homophobia and xenophobia are tied together, are there countries with parties that are anti-gay and pro-immigration?

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
My Dad who is extremely Catholic doesn't care much for the current pope or Donald Trump. I haven't asked specifically but if I had to guess he's a Ted Cruz man.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

blue squares posted:

nah, couldnt be

no, Catholics interpret the bible literally. its in the catechism somewhere, along with the part where you have to beleive in weird zoroastrian leftovers, well because,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

StevePerry fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 8, 2016

• Locked thread