Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Almost every household has some horrible chemicals hiding in it somewhere, usually cleaning supplies or maybe pesticides. But if you use them safely and appropriately, and store them properly, there is nothing to worry about. Anything can be dangerous if you're an idiot about it. Knowledge is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xthetenth posted:

I'm fond of calling chemicals things like only justified by extreme usefulness and only safe because of extreme oversight.

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

This bugs me far more than it should because isn't the 'correct' chemical name for water Hydrogen Hydroxide?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The correct chemical name for water, is water. IUPAC also recognizes oxidane for some reason.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

Almost every household has some horrible chemicals hiding in it somewhere, usually cleaning supplies or maybe pesticides. But if you use them safely and appropriately, and store them properly, there is nothing to worry about. Anything can be dangerous if you're an idiot about it. Knowledge is good.

acetone, hydrogen peroxide, and a strong acid (like hcl). congrats you have the same technical know-how as the 2015 paris hostage bombers.

TATP is some scary loving stuff, it's equal parts easy to make, easy to accidentally detonate, and impossible to detect because it doesn't have nitrogen.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Segmentation Fox posted:

This bugs me far more than it should because isn't the 'correct' chemical name for water Hydrogen Hydroxide?

quote:

Using chemical nomenclature, various names for water are in common use within the scientific community. Some such names include hydrogen oxide, as well as an alkali name of hydrogen hydroxide, and several acid names such as hydric acid, hydroxic acid, hydroxyl acid, and hydroxilic acid.
Under the 2005 revisions of IUPAC nomenclature of inorganic chemistry, there is no single correct name for every compound [they use oxidane in a few places].[13]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

But didn't you know that DHMO has pH of 7.0? That's higher than any other acid!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lamprey Cannon posted:

But didn't you know that DHMO has pH of 7.0? That's higher than any other acid!

There's a facebook page called "Dihydrogen Monoxide Awareness" that went around tricking various chapters of March Against Monsanto into posting memes exactly like this, and it was good. Their final count was something like 14 chapters on board with these.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of trucks, I once passed a whole row of trucks that looked a bit weird. They were carrying these relatively small tanks, as if half of the surface of the chassis was left unused.

When I saw what it said on the tanks, understanding dawned. Uranium hexafluoride.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jeez I didnt notice the CSB had a new video. Its about West, Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Carbon dioxide posted:

Speaking of trucks, I once passed a whole row of trucks that looked a bit weird. They were carrying these relatively small tanks, as if half of the surface of the chassis was left unused.

When I saw what it said on the tanks, understanding dawned. Uranium hexafluoride.

You could not pay me enough to drive those trucks. :stonk:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You could not pay me enough to drive those trucks. :stonk:

Those containers are unbelievably strong. They're probably stronger than most common tanker trucks, most of which carry chemicals that could also kill the gently caress out of you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A White Guy posted:

Those containers are unbelievably strong. They're probably stronger than most common tanker trucks, most of which carry chemicals that could also kill the gently caress out of you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHtOW-OBO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu1YFshFuI4

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Don't they test those canisters by hitting them with actual, non-metaphorical trains?

As in they put the canister on an unused piece of railway, get an old train that's been retired, and smash that sucker into the canister. The train ends up scrap and the canisters are barely scratched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHtOW-OBO4

Ah yes there we go

e:fb, don't care

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

E: same video for the third time is slight overkill.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fuel casks are slightly different. Fuel casks are meant to prevent uranium dioxide from turning into a dirty bomb by getting hit by a train or RPG.

Uranium hexafluoride cylinders are of pretty beefy construction innately cause they run, if I remember right, something like 15-30 torr vacuums because UF6 gas is piped in hot and left to deposit to room temperature solid. But they are also made to withstand getting hit by a train, partly because of the worry that the uranium would become motive, but mostly because it reacts with ambient humidity to create HF.

In the old days I guess mechanics used to swap clogged valves on full cylinders without dressing out because you have just about enough time to hotswap a new valve in before it started belching HF clouds. The NRC wasn't a huge fan and put requirements in place to stop clogging valves in the first place.

"[Not including a processing incident and 2 other cylinder accidents], ten depleted UF6 cylinders containing solid UF6 in storage have been breached over the past 45 years."

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I don't think UF6 is being transported in the nuclear fuel casks. At that point in its life cycle, it's been depleted of the radioactive isotopes, and is "just" a highly reactive, toxic chemical.

It does have its own standardized steel container, though.

Each one holds about 14 tons of UF6, and the US has a LOT of them laying around.

Some of them have been laying around a long time, and aren't in very good condition any more.

But again, the danger isn't that they'll start leaking radioactive uranium products, just HF, and some other fluorine and uranium products. Uranium is still a toxic heavy metal, so its not exactly friendly in the forms that would be released from that containers.

edit: beaten while looking for pics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

jetz0r posted:

I don't think UF6 is being transported in the nuclear fuel casks. At that point in its life cycle, it's been depleted of the radioactive isotopes, and is "just" a highly reactive, toxic chemical.

It does have its own standardized steel container, though.

Each one holds about 14 tons of UF6, and the US has a LOT of them laying around.

Some of them have been laying around a long time, and aren't in very good condition any more.

But again, the danger isn't that they'll start leaking radioactive uranium products, just HF, and some other fluorine and uranium products. Uranium is still a toxic heavy metal, so its not exactly friendly in the forms that would be released from that containers.

edit: beaten while looking for pics.

These pictures, especially the last one, make me extremely uncomfortable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Rust isn't necessarily bad, unless its the bad rust, and non-destructive testing has gotten pretty good at figuring out when its bad rust.

I think the NRCs gotten a little aggressive about cylinder polish exactly for the reason of people calling them asking what the gently caress was with the rusty cylinder that said its got the crazy stuff inside.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Jeez I didnt notice the CSB had a new video. Its about West, Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4

Bloody hell, all the largest explosive accidents (not involving actual munitions or explosives) have been due to ammonium nitrate and there were still no proper inspections or guidelines as recently as a few years ago.

That sounds terminally stupid and again shows the common trend to underestimate the danger of something familiar (and in other cases overestimate the danger of something which sounds odd and unfamiliar).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The CGI's pretty nice now tho. :kiddo:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wikipedia posted:

During nuclear reprocessing, uranium is reacted with chlorine trifluoride
:dogbutton:

zedprime posted:

the worry that the uranium would become motive, but mostly because it reacts with ambient humidity to create HF.
Because of course it does. :shepface:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Feb 19, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nurdrage just put up a video on the ur-poison, Sodium Cyanide. The safety warning is particularly emphatic this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7i11XC9wk

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Know what's some crazy poo poo?

Neptunium.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Know what's some crazy poo poo?

Neptunium.

Einsteinium is even more nuts. It's like all those cartoons where stuff like uranium and plutonium glows, except this stuff actually does it in real life.

Seriously, it produces like 1000 watts of heat per gram, it's so radioactive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is that Cherenkov radiation?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Enourmo posted:

I don't think so- it might be ionized-air glow, but its entirely possible that its submerged in water. The picture makes it hard to tell. Unfortunately, I can only seem to find three images of the actual thing on Google- one of which is einsteinium iodide (which glows red), this image, and a black-and-white one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Enourmo posted:

I believe it is, created when alpha particles hit the quartz vial.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I posted this in the obsolete and failed thread, but I realized it might fit this one as well.

Collateral Damage posted:

Apparently this was a thing in the early 1900s.

The convulsions you got from consuming non-lethal amounts of strychnine was considered healthy. :thumbsup:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

zedprime posted:

Rust isn't necessarily bad, unless its the bad rust, and non-destructive testing has gotten pretty good at figuring out when its bad rust.

I think the NRCs gotten a little aggressive about cylinder polish exactly for the reason of people calling them asking what the gently caress was with the rusty cylinder that said its got the crazy stuff inside.

It's not really the rust, more that the cylinders are being stored outside and just stacked on top of each other like that. I prefer my toxic waste stored deep below the ground in a location where it can't contaminate groundwater in the worst case scenario, thank you very much.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Enourmo posted:

I'd hope so for the camera dude's sake.

Washington St (gently caress a coug) has a 1MW training reactor in an open pool. You can see right down into the reactor. If you really wanted to you could jump in. It's pretty drat cool.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kwyndig posted:

It's not really the rust, more that the cylinders are being stored outside and just stacked on top of each other like that. I prefer my toxic waste stored deep below the ground in a location where it can't contaminate groundwater in the worst case scenario, thank you very much.
Probably better than living near a municipal waste dump.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'd hope so for the camera dude's sake.

Washington St (gently caress a coug) has a 1MW training reactor in an open pool. You can see right down into the reactor. If you really wanted to you could jump in. It's pretty drat cool.

There are people who go scuba diving in reactor vessels as part of doing routine maintenance on them. That's probably one of the more :black101: jobs I can think of.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Icon Of Sin posted:

There are people who go scuba diving in reactor vessels as part of doing routine maintenance on them. That's probably one of the more :black101: jobs I can think of.

Relevant as it also applies to active reactors, more or less: http://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The coolest thing about the TRIGA reactor is that it was designed to be able to be turned on with the transient rods in place.

Let me back up and explain. So you've got your reactor, right? It's a thick bundle of rods about 30 inches long 30 feet down at at the bottom of a crystal clear pool of water. Some are fuel rods, some are control rods. During startup you add neutron source rods. TRIGA fuel is fat, maybe 1" or so in diameter, with 4 rods per bundle, maybe 20-25 per core. You've got 3 different moderators around the core - control rods, shim rods (thin blades) and the transient rod. The control rods are what moderate the output and are attached via electromagnets to motorized stops which move them up and down. If power is ever lost they immediately detach, drop down and scram (shut down) the reactor. The shim blades do the same thing but are for fine control, they can't shut down the reactor so they're just permanently attached.

The transient rods also moderate output and have a similar safety measure as the control rods only instead of electromagnets they're pushed against the stop by gas pressure. If gas pressure was lost (gas leak, valves opened), the transient rod would fall back into the core and also scram the reactor.

To start the reactor, you put a neutron source next to the core (radium+beryllium or plutonium+beryllium) and start moving the control rod stops out (lift them up) then at some point you remove the neutron source as the chain reaction gets going. But the reactor's really versatile, so let's say you "forget" to turn on gas to the transient rod, light the reactor up to full power and THEN blow the stop out of the core with gas.

Well, you get what's called a pulse "shot". It makes the reactor "prompt supercritical", a brief output of about 1000x normal operating energy, there's a huge Dr. Manhattan style blue flash, all sorts of alarms go off, and all the rods drop into the core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNP1wMmPK4

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Feb 20, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

That's pretty loving cool.

It looks like they do that every now and then. It's not too hard on the equipment/core is it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s actually one of the safer jobs a professional diver can do.

Cleaning the plant’s cold‐water intake in the local lake or river is way more dangerous. There are currents, visibility can be bad, and there isn’t as much oversight.

I recall this PopSci article from a few years ago as being good.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

TheDon01 posted:

That's pretty loving cool.

It looks like they do that every now and then. It's not too hard on the equipment/core is it?

The reactor is most certainly designed for it. Penn State University's research reactor, little dinky thing, can pulse up to several megawatts, from a normal operating output of like 100W. I got to see it in person and it was super cool.

https://youtu.be/6I3JKYdGWTE

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
TRIGAs don't need control rods to shut them down, the pulse isn't because a control rod drops in. It's because the fuel has a huge negative temperature coefficient. If you pull the control rod and make the reactor go supercritical, as it heats up the mean free path for a neutron increases and each neutron becomes more likely to escape without causing additional fissions, and pretty quickly you reach a point where the chain reaction can't be sustained. The pulse is the reactor shutting itself off, not the control rod dropping in. The control rod goes in to prevent it from going critical again once it cools off sufficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wish our universities got to play with their own nuclear reactors.