Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I mean it's Vox Media so standards shouldn't be super high but how the hell does such a poorly written piece make it through and get promoted?

Don't forget, Gawker outed a guy for no other reason than he was a Conde Nast executive. (And then Tommy Craggs threw a tantrum and quit when the rest of the editorial board decided to take the story down.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kind of reminds me of the interview Dr. Thorpe did about SA on Attack of the Show

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Can we get Jason Whitlock and Shaun King's opinion on the article? I'd really like to find the motivation to go mental and suicide bomb or something
Allegedly Whitlock is hosting "The Herd" tomorrow and Shaun King is going to be on. I'm pretty sure you can find the motivation you need there.

edit

or not

‏@WhitlockJason
Welp, Shaun King blocked me on Twitter.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 19, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jon Bois broke down my favorite Internet moment on Pretty Good. It's fantastic.
https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eECjjLNAOd4

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Don't forget, Gawker outed a guy for no other reason than he was a Conde Nast executive. (And then Tommy Craggs threw a tantrum and quit when the rest of the editorial board decided to take the story down.)

Gawker tried to crowdfund funds to purchase dick pics.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I laughed a lot. Thanks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I almost fell off the treadmill laughing. Incredible.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this guy ruined one of the funniest things to happen on the internet ever by making it about him/his sense of morality and intelligence.

The thing that made that thread special is that reality caved in under the weight of semantics for these bodybuilding bros and no one could dig themselves out of it

the false indignation this dude puts on is obnoxious as hell.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 19, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Allegedly Whitlock is hosting "The Herd" tomorrow and Shaun King is going to be on. I'm pretty sure you can find the motivation you need there.

There is no chance he goes on a live show.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

This is great

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

this guy ruined one of the funniest things to happen on the internet ever by making it about him/his sense of morality and intelligence.

The thing that made that thread special is that reality caved in under the weight of semantics for these bodybuilding bros and no one could dig themselves out of it

the false indignation this dude puts on is obnoxious as hell.

I'm sorry you're mad that someone doesn't like the word "retard"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I'm sorry you're mad that someone doesn't like the word "retard"
that has nothing to do with why i didnt like it, he was screaming about how dumb people were the entire time

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

that has nothing to do with why i didnt like it, he was screaming about how dumb people were the entire time

What does any of that have to do with morality or false indignation? And how are those people not dumb?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

What does any of that have to do with morality or false indignation? And how are those people not dumb?
because he kept talking about who was right/wrong/stupid when the funniest part about it, for me, is how it got into this hyperaggressive philosophical conversation about what constitutes a day and what constitutes a workout that was like a semantic blackhole. the conversation speaks for itself, assigning winners and losers is what someone that was a part of it would do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think the point was that there were no winners. The guy who was "right" became an insufferable rear end in a top hat for literally the dumbest reason, and the guy he defeated played the puppet master defense at the end.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
In other godawful slapfights, Clay Travis had Chris Kluwe on his podcast or show or something to talk about Peyton Manning. Clay Travis being the guy who said if someone puts their dick and balls in your face without your permission it's just a prank, not sexual assault. And Kluwe tends to alienate even people who agree with him about stuff. I can only imagine how this went.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

In other godawful slapfights, Clay Travis had Chris Kluwe on his podcast or show or something to talk about Peyton Manning. Clay Travis being the guy who said if someone puts their dick and balls in your face without your permission it's just a prank, not sexual assault. And Kluwe tends to alienate even people who agree with him about stuff. I can only imagine how this went.

Oh god that had to be an absolute trainwreck

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SBNation has cut all ties with Jeff Arnold and has put their longform section on temporary hiatus

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Now I'm wondering which one of my co-workers is tight enough with Greg Howard to leak him memos.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

Oh god that had to be an absolute trainwreck

It was such a trainwreck, Jeff Arnold wrote 12,000 words on it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's a shame somebody is going to lose their job because they let a bad take slip through the cracks.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Toilet Mouth posted:

It's a shame somebody is going to lose their job because they let a bad take slip through the cracks.

Is it really a shame when someone was clearly either not doing their job or is utterly incompetent?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Toilet Mouth posted:

There's a difference between a bad take and an article that never should have been greenlit.

In terms of SBNation's response blacklisting the author is the least they can do; I like Spencer Hall but depending on how upset Vox management gets and how long the Twitter Outrage Machine runs for he might have to take the fall for this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really don't see them getting rid of Hall after one strike, especially with how quickly they took it down and how sincere the apologies have been. I honestly haven't seen any outrage at all.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I really don't see them getting rid of Hall after one strike, especially with how quickly they took it down and how sincere the apologies have been. I honestly haven't seen any outrage at all.

Within the short-fused sport history world in which I live, I've seen plenty of outrage... but almost all of it dissipated with Hall's more-than-reasonable and strong response.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's a difference between a bad take and an article that never should have been greenlit.

In terms of SBNation's response blacklisting the author is the least they can do; I like Spencer Hall but depending on how upset Vox management gets and how long the Twitter Outrage Machine runs for he might have to take the fall for this.

I know they're not going to make it their brand or anything, but the idea that they would be willing to give a platform to something as strange as that piece would make me more likely to check out their longforms in the future, not less.

If somebody's crazy enough to make a 10,000 word apologia for Jerry Sandusky, I would be intrigued to read it, or at least skim it.

At the same time, I understand SB Nation/Vox being unhappy at the prospect of paying a writer good money in exchange for being labeled a freakshow, but I don't see anything outright unethical about giving this guy a platform, the only sin here is poor taste. On the other hand, I admittedly don't really understand journalism, so I'm sure my error is in thinking of SB Nation as a forum rather than as a publication.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 20, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

edit

or not

‏@WhitlockJason
Welp, Shaun King blocked me on Twitter.
The interview went on after all. Apparently it was a thirty-minute-long poo poo festival.

I did not listen, but apparently some highlights (that I read about at other places) are:
  • Whitlock hangs up on King three times before King utters a sentence.
  • King said that he "thanks God daily" that he doesn't work with Whitlock.
  • Whitlock says that he didn't want to hire King because most of the stories he was writing at the time were "probably fabricated".
  • Whitlock brings up criticisms about money that King raised for Black Lives Matter allegedly going missing.
  • King says to Whitlock: "You are the guy white folks prop up to tear down blacks folks and their movement!"
  • King compares Whitlock to a member of the KKK.
  • Whitlock subtly works in an accusation that King isn't really black.
  • Both get into an argument about which of the two is "blacker".
  • Whitlock ends the interview by telling King that he's white.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 20, 2016

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I enjoy Spencer Hall as a goon-ish commentator on the bullshit of college football. He's fun on Twitter and I think he's funny because the entire enterprise of the NCAA is just ridiculous.

I am not sure how he got to be an Executive Editor or whatever his grand-poobah title is at SBNation based on anything he's written. I think I read a thing where he went to Burma and watched a few days of an artistic hackey-sack festival (?) that wasn't terrible.

The reason "longform" is kind of a hip new thing is that it takes a really unique talent to write those kind of stories well, and I don't mean the "oral history of <x>" where you just string together quote blocks from a dozen people about A Thing That Happened Back Then. A friend of mine gave me an anthology of W. C. Heinz works several years ago and it's still one of my favorite reads despite the fact that everyone profiled in it was retired long before I was born. Not everything needs 12,000 words, and "maybe this convicted serial rapist cop wasn't such a bad guy after all" is one of those things that doesn't need 12,000 words or even any loving article at all, especially on a sports site.

This seems like a case of "Hey, we have a space for longform, we need something to put there" gone amok. In that frame, I totally agree with them shutting down that section of the site until they get their poo poo together.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

The interview went on after all. Apparently it was a thirty-minute-long poo poo festival.

I did not listen, but apparently some highlights (that I read about at other places) are:
  • Whitlock says that he didn't want to hire King because most of the stories he was writing at the time were "probably fabricated".
  • Whitlock brings up criticisms about money that King raised for Black Lives Matter allegedly going missing.
  • King says to Whitlock: "You are the guy white folks prop up to tear down blacks folks and their movement!"

God this sounds astoundingly painful.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

skaboomizzy posted:

I enjoy Spencer Hall as a goon-ish commentator on the bullshit of college football. He's fun on Twitter and I think he's funny because the entire enterprise of the NCAA is just ridiculous.

I am not sure how he got to be an Executive Editor or whatever his grand-poobah title is at SBNation based on anything he's written. I think I read a thing where he went to Burma and watched a few days of an artistic hackey-sack festival (?) that wasn't terrible.

You are in luck.
Broke.
The Big Country.
The Business of Protection which I should not have reread oh god every time it gets me.
An Interview with Luther Campbell.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

That would be unfortunate. I think SB Nation has grown into a nice platform. Mistakes happen on a network of like 300 blogs constantly producing stories.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

That would be unfortunate. I think SB Nation has grown into a nice platform. Mistakes happen on a network of like 300 blogs constantly producing stories.

I think Hall does great work and wouldn't fire him but this is a dumb excuse for what happened here. It wasn't a piece from some random team blog in the network, it was from the show piece site that ostensibly is supposed to be doing their best work and it was promoted by the main site. He should take more responsibly for the work being done there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

I think Hall does great work and wouldn't fire him but this is a dumb excuse for what happened here. It wasn't a piece from some random team blog in the network, it was from the show piece site that ostensibly is supposed to be doing their best work and it was promoted by the main site. He should take more responsibly for the work being done there.

That's fair. I thought the longform stuff was a separate part of the site run by Glenn Stout. I mean Hall is ultimately the guy at the top and responsible but I just think he's done a good job and this was one mistake that he quickly apologized for.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
When a godawful and patently offensive piece gets a showcase on the flagship site of a network, the guy at the top takes responsibility. That's the risk of being the boss. He probably should resign.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

At the very least, someone who writes that much about SEC football ought to have at least 60 minutes to Finebaum callers demanding he be fired. Ain't got no editorial judgement paaaawwwlll. Bear would'a spiked it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

zakharov posted:

When a godawful and patently offensive piece gets a showcase on the flagship site of a network, the guy at the top takes responsibility. That's the risk of being the boss. He probably should resign.

What gets me is that Hall said that multiple people at the top had objections and it still ran, which makes me wonder if Hall has as much control as it appears or that he'd like. He's been radio-silent since the apology while other editors have tweeted and such, which makes the political-side of me wonder if he's planning an exit strategy or some kind of move to consolidate power.

Also makes me wonder if Vox is taking seriously the accusation that this wouldn't have happened if the top of SBNation wasn't all white men as well. I'd call them cisscum or whatever but I don't know of their orientation and don't particularly care tbh.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Crazy Ted posted:

I downloaded the show podcast and will listen to it soon because I am too stupid to know better.

I read some more into Shaun King because I hate myself and don't value my time and I think the dude is legitimately psychotic. How is this dude 35 with 5 kids? His twitter feed comes off like an unhinged 15 year old. I am still laughing that he said he was "done with Whitlock" and is probably up to 150 more Whitlock related tweets (and a radio "interview") since then.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 21, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

zakharov posted:

You don't get to be anywhere near the top of a corporate hierarchy if you make a habit of taking responsibility for mistakes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

C. Everett Koop posted:

What gets me is that Hall said that multiple people at the top had objections and it still ran, which makes me wonder if Hall has as much control as it appears or that he'd like. He's been radio-silent since the apology while other editors have tweeted and such, which makes the political-side of me wonder if he's planning an exit strategy or some kind of move to consolidate power.

Also makes me wonder if Vox is taking seriously the accusation that this wouldn't have happened if the top of SBNation wasn't all white men as well. I'd call them cisscum or whatever but I don't know of their orientation and don't particularly care tbh.

From what I can tell, SB Nation is very decentralized, and Glenn Stout did the longform section. It seems like the people at the top are more editors emeritus than actually editing absolutely everything on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Greg Howard is joining New York Times Magazine as one of the first David Carr fellows.