Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I've finally sold the wife on a router so that I can finish some basic cabinetry we need done. What should I be looking for, in a basic table & router to do really simple rounding of dimensional wood and to mill in a channel for a cap, in a package that can stow on a shelf. I don't need a big fixed table, and I'm on a budget so I won't be getting a Freud or whatever's expensive.

Is there an rpm range I should be looking at? Minimum Hp? I've just used my father in law's router in the past so I don't know a lot about them.

RPM's should be pretty consistent from one to the next. Although you can get by with something small to do what you're talking, look for something in the 1 1/2-2 HP range. You can get something mid-range decent like Porter-Cable or DeWalt, or heck, the Chinese knockoffs like Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight) for mucho cheapo, and live with the scorn and shame. they're probably fine, heck they've got a 1 1/2 HP variable speed plunge for $75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I've finally sold the wife on a router so that I can finish some basic cabinetry we need done. What should I be looking for, in a basic table & router to do really simple rounding of dimensional wood and to mill in a channel for a cap, in a package that can stow on a shelf. I don't need a big fixed table, and I'm on a budget so I won't be getting a Freud or whatever's expensive.

Is there an rpm range I should be looking at? Minimum Hp? I've just used my father in law's router in the past so I don't know a lot about them.
I'd say get whatever brand you prefer and get a matching table inlay mounting plate to match.

As far as power goes, anything with an actual hp at the shaft will do in just about everything most people need.

Rpm range wise, unless you plan on spinning 2" diameter cutters, something with a range of 10-14k upto 28-30k will do. Bigger cutters are spun more slowly, very few are spun faster than 30k rpm.

Collet reducers suck. So get something that comes with multiple collets. For NA 1/4" and 1/2" are the most common sizes, EU would be 6, 8, and 12mm, where 8mm is by far the most common.
My router came with 3 collets, 6mm, 1/4", and 8mm. I've never used anything but the 8mm collet.

As far as plunge and fixed bases, both have their use. If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting a router that comes with both.

As for features, soft-start is really nice, especially on machines with over a hp at the shaft.
Constant output is also very nice to have. My router is rated at close to 2hp for (240V 7A), but it puts out a constant 735W at the shaft. And while that is only a mere single hp, it has no issues cutting a 10mm round over into walnut.

As far as plunge bases go, get a feel for the mechanism in the store. It should slide smoothly, have some form of micro adjustment for the plunge depth.

As for bits, keep in mind that it will spin at 28k rpm at crotch height. Do you trust chinesium hss to not grenade you in the nuts?
If you have none as is, get one of the 15 or 25 bit starter kits. Ideally such a kit would have a couple of plunge straight cutters with the diameter of common plywood thicknesses, eg 1/4", 1/2", 3/4". A rabbet bit, one where the cutter is bigger than the guide bearing, usually it's a 1 1/4" cutter with a 3/4" guide bearing. So it makes a 1/4" rabbet. A pattern bit, with the bearing above the cutter. An edge trim bit with the bearing below the cutter. And whatever round over, chamfer, etc bits you want.
Do get carbide tipped bits, they're a bit more expensive but last a lot longer than hss. Solid carbide is nice but very expensive.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Thanks guys!

I'm in Canada and hoping to spend less than $100 for the router, so I'd probably be looking at used routers.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Deedle posted:

Do you trust chinesium hss to not grenade you in the nuts?

I had this happen once. Luckily it was only a 1/4" straight bit, and I was wearing a leather apron, so I didn't even know the bit had broken until it didn't throw any more chips out.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

Thanks guys!

I'm in Canada and hoping to spend less than $100 for the router, so I'd probably be looking at used routers.

My first router table was a piece of plywood clamped to a bench. You dont need to spend big on a table to get ok results. If I was doing it again, I would go for the "suspend plywood between two surfaces" route though. More support = better than.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mercury Ballistic posted:

For lack of a better place to post this, I figure here is as good as any spot.

My neighbor is tying to get rid of this old York Safe. She has a combo, and it looks like it has seen some years. It literally weighs a ton as far as I can tell give or take a few hundred pounds. I am not sure if it is either worth something to someone, or worthless and I said I would try to help her out in getting it out of her hair.
Does anyone know if this thing is scrap, valuable, or somewhere in between?

http://imgur.com/a/6Z9K8

That is hands down one of the coolest safes I've ever seen. Plus the fact it's on wheels, you shouldn't have any trouble putting it on craigslist for ~300 bucks and getting at least 200 out of it. You could probably get more if the shelves are removable because people could use it as a gun safe.

First thing I'd do at any rate is shoot some penetrating oil/pb blaster into those wheels because they're probably frozen up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

For lack of a better place to post this, I figure here is as good as any spot.

My neighbor is tying to get rid of this old York Safe. She has a combo, and it looks like it has seen some years. It literally weighs a ton as far as I can tell give or take a few hundred pounds. I am not sure if it is either worth something to someone, or worthless and I said I would try to help her out in getting it out of her hair.
Does anyone know if this thing is scrap, valuable, or somewhere in between?

http://imgur.com/a/6Z9K8

If that's anywhere near me I want to take a look at it. Because I'd totally use something like that.

Got no idea what it's worth.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Frogmanv2 posted:

My first router table was a piece of plywood clamped to a bench. You dont need to spend big on a table to get ok results. If I was doing it again, I would go for the "suspend plywood between two surfaces" route though. More support = better than.

I went the same way, though I used a Workmate for a base. I got some cheap 16mm plywood and copied this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHaiRb0WZo

I think I spent 12 euro on the plywood and some screws. Got the sheet of plywood cut to "good enough" sizes at the store as well, because that was free and convenient. Very little effort and very little cost.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Thanks again guys! I found a good sale on a router from Canadian tire. It's cheap but has a half decent warranty, and it satisfies all the specs that were raised earlier, for $80.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Thanks! I found this online and if nothing else, I can always replace the table top with MDF or plywood and keep the feather boards, etc

https://m.canadiantire.ca/#/products/productDetail/0546841P/false/false/false?selectedSku=0546841&quantity=1

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

DrakeriderCa posted:

Thanks again guys! I found a good sale on a router from Canadian tire. It's cheap but has a half decent warranty, and it satisfies all the specs that were raised earlier, for $80.

Thanks! I found this online and if nothing else, I can always replace the table top with MDF or plywood and keep the feather boards, etc

https://m.canadiantire.ca/#/products/productDetail/0546841P/false/false/false?selectedSku=0546841&quantity=1

Going by the reviews, they all mention that the table is made of way too thin MDF. I'd keep my money and make my own for that kind of money.

It really isn't hard or much work to do.
Get a 2x4 ft of 3/4" plywood, get it into 4 pieces, 2 pcs 24x18" and 2 pcs 12x12". Also get some 1" long countersunk screws, say about 32 of them.

Trace your router's base onto one of the 24x18" pieces. Somewhere that has the spindle sitting in the middle of the table and 2/3 of the way back from what will be the front of your table. Cut out the hole using a jigsaw, it doesn't have to be spot on, as long as it is big enough.
Now predrill and countersink the 24 holes for the screws in the same piece that you've just cut the big hole in. Align and glue and screw the two 24x18" pieces together. Once it's set enough, place your router in the hole you've just made for it. Mark the mounting holes in the base of the router onto the upper half of the table. Drill and countersink as nessecary for the type of screw used in your router's base.
Now insert a bit the same diameter (or smaller) as the pilot on your holesaw. Mount the router, plunge the center hole. Remove the router and saw out an appropriate sized hole. My router can't fit a bit larger than 35mm through the base, my biggest bits are 31mm in diameter, so I made a 32mm hole because that was the nearest size hole saw I had. If you have no clue, just make it the same diameter as the hole in the router base.

Then take the 2 12x12" pieces. align them on the bottom of the table top in such a manner that they will prevent a workmate or other clamp from grabbing the router. Glue and screw them in place.

Mount the router back in the hole, put the whole thing on a workmate, clamp the 2 12x12" bits of ply with the workmate. Blammo, easy, cheap router table.

And with a 1 1/2" thick table top it's more than strong enough to put a T-track in it and it won't warp if you clamp a 2x4 on it to use as a fence.

Use the 60$CAD you'll have left over to buy a workmate if you don't already have one. They are useful as gently caress.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Appreciate the feedback on the safe. It is in the Northern VA area for what it's worth. I'll spray some oil asap on the wheels.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ That's really a pretty cool safe, I'd be shocked if you couldn't unload that thing on craigslist pretty easy. So long as you can just roll it out the garage and tip it over onto someone's truck/trailer, should be pretty easy.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I wouldn't put too much faith in the warranty... AvE has a really great video talking about warranties from Canadian Tire, and long story short you might as well forget it.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 10, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^ That's really a pretty cool safe, I'd be shocked if you couldn't unload that thing on craigslist pretty easy. So long as you can just roll it out the garage and tip it over onto someone's truck/trailer, should be pretty easy.

Uhh, make sure buyer assumes all responsibility for this, typically vaults of that size easily go above 1500 lbs.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

deimos posted:

Uhh, make sure buyer assumes all responsibility for this, typically vaults of that size easily go above 1500 lbs.

Besides, heres how you do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurCnuyC8zo

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Deedle posted:

Going by the reviews, they all mention that the table is made of way too thin MDF. I'd keep my money and make my own for that kind of money.

It really isn't hard or much work to do.
Get a 2x4 ft of 3/4" plywood, get it into 4 pieces, 2 pcs 24x18" and 2 pcs 12x12". Also get some 1" long countersunk screws, say about 32 of them.

Trace your router's base onto one of the 24x18" pieces. Somewhere that has the spindle sitting in the middle of the table and 2/3 of the way back from what will be the front of your table. Cut out the hole using a jigsaw, it doesn't have to be spot on, as long as it is big enough.
Now predrill and countersink the 24 holes for the screws in the same piece that you've just cut the big hole in. Align and glue and screw the two 24x18" pieces together. Once it's set enough, place your router in the hole you've just made for it. Mark the mounting holes in the base of the router onto the upper half of the table. Drill and countersink as nessecary for the type of screw used in your router's base.
Now insert a bit the same diameter (or smaller) as the pilot on your holesaw. Mount the router, plunge the center hole. Remove the router and saw out an appropriate sized hole. My router can't fit a bit larger than 35mm through the base, my biggest bits are 31mm in diameter, so I made a 32mm hole because that was the nearest size hole saw I had. If you have no clue, just make it the same diameter as the hole in the router base.

Then take the 2 12x12" pieces. align them on the bottom of the table top in such a manner that they will prevent a workmate or other clamp from grabbing the router. Glue and screw them in place.

Mount the router back in the hole, put the whole thing on a workmate, clamp the 2 12x12" bits of ply with the workmate. Blammo, easy, cheap router table.

And with a 1 1/2" thick table top it's more than strong enough to put a T-track in it and it won't warp if you clamp a 2x4 on it to use as a fence.

Use the 60$CAD you'll have left over to buy a workmate if you don't already have one. They are useful as gently caress.

This is a super awesome idea, thanks. I do have a work mate and I hadn't thought of putting the router on it.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

A question about paint sprayers.

I've been doing some home improvement lately and I already have a nice compressor setup for all sizes of nailguns but now I have a bunch of cabnetry and shelving to sand/paint. I noticed that pneumatic paint sprayers are a thing and they're not that expensive now that I already have the rest of the getup. It also looks like these would be a lot easier to paint mouldings and detail than with a brush/roller.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Siphon-Feed-Spray-Gun-H4930SSG/203496910

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gravity-Feed-HVLP-Spray-Gun-H4840GHVSG/203497519

There seems to be 2 kinds, a gravity fed and siphon fed, which works better?

Can I use interior house paint in these? Thinned probably?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

I've been doing some home improvement lately and I already have a nice compressor setup for all sizes of nailguns but now I have a bunch of cabnetry and shelving to sand/paint. I noticed that pneumatic paint sprayers are a thing and they're not that expensive now that I already have the rest of the getup. It also looks like these would be a lot easier to paint mouldings and detail than with a brush/roller.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gravity-Feed-HVLP-Spray-Gun-H4840GHVSG/203497519

I've only used an airless paint sprayer, which I rented specifically because it would do latex paint.

Thinning the paint is only part of the ordeal, some cheap latex paints have such a coarse pigment that they will clog the nozzle regardless of thinning.

Some manufacturers label their paint as spray-able, those you can thin per the instructions to about maple syrup consistency and it should be fine.

As for siphon vs gravity fed, I know from airbrushing 40k tonks that some paints wouldn't play nice with a siphon feed. No idea why though.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I have mostly Behr Marquee paint and some glidden, ill have to double check the Glidden but the Behr is all 100% acrylic and water. Any idea how that performs out of a sprayer compared to latex? Its a thicker paint but their website says it can be thinned.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

TheDon01 posted:

You need a lot of CFM to keep it happy to my recollection. Probably not gonna work with the smaller units. Also, do it outside, over spray goes everywhere.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

TheDon01 posted:

I posted a little about sprayers a few pages back but for wood finishes. For latex paints you most definitely want to rent an airless. HVLP cannot be driven by most consumer compressors, you'd either want to go with LVLP and thin the paint or rent an airless sprayer. I am not as willing to recommend an HVLP turbine for latex application but thinned properly it should work.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I have a cheap little HVLP with a blower that shoots latex house paint just fine. It was the cheapest thing at Lowe's and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I wouldnt use it for all the walls because it's so small but I used it to paint closet shelving OK. I think they make bigger ones as well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Ditto on the airless sprayer, I bought a harbor freight unit last year to paint my detached garage, and was pretty blown away by how great it turned out to be. Easily paid for itself with three different uses, and it seems like it'll hold up pretty well with proper cleaning. Took my entire painting project from an estimated 30 hours by hand down to no poo poo twenty minutes a coat. Worked great with fresh Killz latex primer, but would frequently clog up with some old latex paint my dad gave me until I filtered out the particulates with a few times with window screen material.

I wouldn't use it inside though, you're further ahead to just use rollers and brushes. Dollars to donuts you'd spend more time setting up and cleaning the sprayer than actually painting, plus you'd REALLY want to tarp down EVERYTHING you don't want accidentally misted.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm moving to a house in the suburbs from the city.

My current house is .05 acres and I used a gas, non-self-propelled mower. I hate it.
The new house is about an acre, mostly grassy, and I dont want to hate life - so I'm pretty set on a riding mower.

Can someone school me on riding mowers? [spoiler]and leaf management in the fall[/b]
What accessories do I need? Bagger? Are there attachments that will help with picking up leaves in the fall?

I'm moving in early March, so I have some time to get things in order before the grass really gets cranking. Any help would be great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
All riding mowers under about $2500 are basically the same, made in the same factory, the differences are largely cosmetic. You want a mulching mower from someone nearby that can service it. Or service it yourself. About once a year you'll need to level the deck and sharpen the blades (maybe more often on sharpening), and change the oil. IMO, Toro makes the best consumer mowers over $2500 (their cheaper mowers are the same as everyone else).

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

wormil posted:

All riding mowers under about $2500 are basically the same, made in the same factory, the differences are largely cosmetic. You want a mulching mower from someone nearby that can service it. Or service it yourself. About once a year you'll need to level the deck and sharpen the blades (maybe more often on sharpening), and change the oil. IMO, Toro makes the best consumer mowers over $2500 (their cheaper mowers are the same as everyone else).

Is it worth spending the extra $1k or so over the $1500 models then? Assuming I plan to keep it for a while, and will likely want to use it for at a minimum dealing with fall leaves, snow, and mowing?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Fall leaf management: mow over the leaves and leave the little cut up bits to decay. It's good for your lawn.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Walked posted:

Is it worth spending the extra $1k or so over the $1500 models then? Assuming I plan to keep it for a while, and will likely want to use it for at a minimum dealing with fall leaves, snow, and mowing?

Tough call. Once you get over about $2500 (been a few years since I shopped mowers so that number might have gone up) there is a noticeable increase in quality but after wearing out two better Toros (over several decades) I bought a cheaper John Deere and it does the job but isn't as powerful, doesn't cut as well, and requires more maintenance.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Zhentar posted:

Fall leaf management: mow over the leaves and leave the little cut up bits to decay. It's good for your lawn.

Yeah I'm thinking a mulching blade should do the trick there

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Unless you want to be one of these sperglord old fucks who gets their lawn constantly sprayed with random poo poo so the grass is perfectly uniform just buy whatever mower is going to last and mow away. No need to overthink things for 1 acre unless you are a gardener savant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I used to landscape and mow professionally and have no problem doing my own repairs so take this advice with that in mind: go find a used walk behind. Like the kind landsapers use. You can get one for $500-1000 with a 52" deck that was designed to be run for 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week but is now too annoying to use that much because it needs some kind of adjustment or part every month. This equates to every few years to mow your acre of grass once a week.

And they cut better than any of those consumer lawn tractors. And the local mower place that the pros go to have ALL the parts right on the shelf.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

What do you guys like for socket organizers? I've looked at everything from the plastic ones at HD to the Hansen trays and the Westling aluminum trays. I'm leaning toward the Westlings, but are there any others to consider? They would essentially live in a rolling tool chest in my garage and not travel anywhere.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Speaking of rolling toolboxes, who makes affordable ones that still have a fair bit of quality?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nostratic posted:

What do you guys like for socket organizers? I've looked at everything from the plastic ones at HD to the Hansen trays and the Westling aluminum trays. I'm leaning toward the Westlings, but are there any others to consider? They would essentially live in a rolling tool chest in my garage and not travel anywhere.

I absolutely love the Hansen trays. I would hate them if I didn't have the drawer space (they take a lot). So I think the recommendation depends on your use case/what space you have.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nostratic posted:

These Lisle magnetic socket trays are a little bit spendy, but worth every penny. I've got a red for my metrics, black for my SAE, and a quarter inch tray for the small stuff. Otherwise, I just use a socket rail for the heavy impacts.

The magnetic trays are super convenient to just grab what you need and go, and they hold basically everything you'd need for sae or metric deep/regular 3/8 sockets

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Speaking of rolling toolboxes, who makes affordable ones that still have a fair bit of quality?

Strangely enough, Harbor Freight, wait for a sale you can get them at like 20% off once or twice a year (this advice is five years old, may not work any more).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

I absolutely love the Hansen trays. I would hate them if I didn't have the drawer space (they take a lot). So I think the recommendation depends on your use case/what space you have.
Seconding this. A full set of 3 socket sizes of SAE and metric sockets takes up and entire drawer, but I love that I can quickly just grab a few next to each other when I eyeball about what a nut's size is. I had the metal nub kind that you pop on too, and gently caress those things. I've never had a situation where I want to take an entire stick of sockets with me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Clearly your cars are far too new. :colbert:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Clearly your cars are far too new. :colbert:
I work on them in the garage with my toolbox.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Arrg, my work blocked gmail access so I have to use my phone to check my mail. Consequently, I missed out on a deal for a Rexcut (Canadian brand similar to Grizzly) 14" bandsaw for $75 :(

Stupid security measures getting in the way of my hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

A full set of 3 socket sizes of SAE and metric sockets takes up and entire drawer

Yup.