Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I saw your post in the woodworking thread first and replied to it with what I think. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, it's like 3am here.

Something else I just thought off, is it possible to make it taller, your birds will be way comfier with a longer legged cage.

Yeah saw it.

The height in my model is 180 cm, with 50 cm legs, so the enclosed area is about 130 cm high. The mesh is sold in 1 m wide rolls, so making it taller might need more support for the mesh. The short side is 80 cm and the long is about 175 cm, to fit the free space in my home. I'd also rather not make it (much) taller than myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thats a really good sized cage, I wish mine were that big. The picture makes it look deceptively small. With what i said about attaching toys to the roof, I just realised you could use a thicker board and get stainless steel screw in hooks or something similar. The bottom board absorbing spilt water and going bad over time is something to think about too but one of the woodworking dudes probably knows a way to deal with that.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 26, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Don't parrots wreck wood?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Depends on the species and the individual bird. A cockatoo would wreck a wood cage in 10 minutes but a cockatiel probably wont, and nielsm said his barely even break twigs.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

http://i.imgur.com/FHiWZIt.webm

I can't figure out how the hell to embed a webm, but it's eating with its new beak!

e: I guess it's just a url tag.
Look at that happy cybirb :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://i.imgur.com/mMD9o53.gifv

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

This is so cute that it's almost indescribable. I just want to say words like puff and birb and then incoherent noises
:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Cockatoo with the voice of an angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TnSXSIki-U

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So glad my two green cheeks bonded so well. Not so glad that the boy has suddenly (like overnight) become extremely protective of the girl and will attack anyone that gets near her, to the point where he flew at me when I was bringing them clean water. Must be spring.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mizuti posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Baby birds are the best

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Thats a really good sized cage, I wish mine were that big. The picture makes it look deceptively small. With what i said about attaching toys to the roof, I just realised you could use a thicker board and get stainless steel screw in hooks or something similar. The bottom board absorbing spilt water and going bad over time is something to think about too but one of the woodworking dudes probably knows a way to deal with that.

You can get waterproofing finishes otherwise wooden boats wouldnt work, but I dont know how pet safe they are. Just because I have a lot of it right now, I would be intrigued to try a bees wax finish over it. It would repel water, and isnt toxic.

Either that, or just make the floor easily removable, so when it does happen, its no big hassle to replace it.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mizuti posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

This scared the poo poo out of my cockatiels

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

This scared the poo poo out of my cockatiels

Does anything -not- scare the poo poo out of cockatiels?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'd say millet but that could be frightening to a potato under the eight circumstances

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Eejit posted:

the eight circumstances

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I'm so sorry Bicyclops, I had a tiny yappy dog who everyone hated but me and who consciously helped me though some very dark times when my son was really sick, it tore my heart right out when she died. I don't know if it's too soon but it might be a mistake to get another budgie, you had the perfect little bird before and you got lucky. The danger is that you may end up comparing "replacement" budgie to old budgie and end up heartbroken for a second time if it does not bond to the same extent. . Might I suggest you consider getting another breed of smaller bird like a hand reared love bird?

Pages and pages back but we did talk about a 'tiel or a conure. We think that it will be too difficult due to noise levels and where we live (and are likely to live for awhile). We have awhile to think about it, at least. This is my wife's second budgie (she grew up with one), and it would be the first that we raised from baby birb together if we went for it, but I definitely know what you mean. We did end up reaching the breeder and it seems likely her aunt has some viable eggs. The breeder would be an English budgie and at least the ones from her aunt would have very different colors, cementing into my brain that it's not a replacement for the bird we lost.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In other news, though, my wife and I are going through some of the recordings of Loki (his name was Loki, I may as well say) talking, and I should be able to upload some of those soon.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

You can get waterproofing finishes otherwise wooden boats wouldnt work, but I dont know how pet safe they are. Just because I have a lot of it right now, I would be intrigued to try a bees wax finish over it. It would repel water, and isnt toxic.

Either that, or just make the floor easily removable, so when it does happen, its no big hassle to replace it.

Even a relatively "modern" wooden boat like a criss craft will still see some leaking/swelling due to the wooden boards absorbing water if its paint/sealant isn't regularly maintained and repaired when necessary. Old clinker and caraval ships were made "waterproof" largely through construction techniques and strategic use of caulking, not painting and sealing due to the circumstances of their use and maintanence being hard to do on something in the carribean when your home port is in europe.

In other slightly related things, why not have the bottom of the cage be mesh like the sides with a metal tray below it to catch anything falling through said mesh? It could also be made removable to allow for easy cleaning. To be fair, I know very little about birds other than all of your birbs are very pretty and really neat to read about.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Even a relatively "modern" wooden boat like a criss craft will still see some leaking/swelling due to the wooden boards absorbing water if its paint/sealant isn't regularly maintained and repaired when necessary. Old clinker and caraval ships were made "waterproof" largely through construction techniques and strategic use of caulking, not painting and sealing due to the circumstances of their use and maintanence being hard to do on something in the carribean when your home port is in europe.

In other slightly related things, why not have the bottom of the cage be mesh like the sides with a metal tray below it to catch anything falling through said mesh? It could also be made removable to allow for easy cleaning. To be fair, I know very little about birds other than all of your birbs are very pretty and really neat to read about.

As far as I know, wood that is constantly submerged in water doesn't actually degrade, it's most when it is kept damp/soaked but exposed to air things get bad. In fact, untreated wood swelling from liquid can even be intended, like in wooden barrels. When the boards swell from the liquid, the press against each other completing the sealing. I think it might be the same with ships, although tar is also involved there one way or another.
I'm not going to apply tar to a bird home. (Oil or beeswax for surface treatment.)

Sure, a removable tray could be helpful for cleaning. The thing is, my current single-piece solid bottom has two things going for it: It's simple to make, and it supports the structure to prevent swaying. Removable trays would require a more complex construction, which would also have to take solidity into account. (And it would have to be two trays, due to the middle structural frame.) I also don't know what material I'd use for those, where to get it, or how to construct them.
But I think it might be possible to add a tray system on later without scrapping the entire thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Took a couple portraits of Putni.

He needs to polish his beak... not sure how I can get him to do that. He does have access to natural bark-on perches. Pion's is looking great in comparison, unless that's from him always getting head rubs from me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bicyclops posted:

In other news, though, my wife and I are going through some of the recordings of Loki (his name was Loki, I may as well say) talking, and I should be able to upload some of those soon.

Oh lord, that was a incredibly unfortunate coincidence then. :( The other one is now known as "Missy" now though.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

baby fluff ball

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

nielsm posted:

As far as I know, wood that is constantly submerged in water doesn't actually degrade, it's most when it is kept damp/soaked but exposed to air things get bad. In fact, untreated wood swelling from liquid can even be intended, like in wooden barrels. When the boards swell from the liquid, the press against each other completing the sealing. I think it might be the same with ships, although tar is also involved there one way or another.
I'm not going to apply tar to a bird home. (Oil or beeswax for surface treatment.)

That's more or less how wood boats work, yeah. If you put them in drydock the boards shrink, then when you put it back in the water water seeps in. So what you do is drive it around, trusting your bilge pumps, and film all the water coming in through the bow so you can post it on facebook and scare the poo poo out of your friends who are less familiar with wood boats. Water coming in gets the boards to swell back up. It has less to do with exterior finish, especially these days where it feels like what you can paint the bottom of a boat with is more closely scrutinized than ever.

Connie lives on a fiberglass-hulled boat.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Took a couple portraits of Putni.

He needs to polish his beak... not sure how I can get him to do that. He does have access to natural bark-on perches. Pion's is looking great in comparison, unless that's from him always getting head rubs from me.
LOOK AT HIS INQUISITIVE LITTLE FACE IT'S SO CUTE I'M GONNA DIE

:3:

Judah is like that with his beak, it's never all sleek and shiny like some cockatiels :mad: Totally healthy according to the vet, just a shabby middle-aged man apparently :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka is also lazy about beak maintenance. He gets food and wood debris off and will use a napkin if you offer it to him, but it's very gray and obviously caked in dust because he never rubs it on stuff.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Eejit posted:

Teeka is also lazy about beak maintenance. He gets food and wood debris off and will use a napkin if you offer it to him, but it's very gray and obviously caked in dust because he never rubs it on stuff.

I mean you offer him napkins. Do you expect him to go back to rubbing his beak like some sort of common pigeon?

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

When Pearl steals some of our oatmeal in the mornings, she gets it all over her beak, and then my husband will yell out "Barnacles!" This means I have to get a napkin and fold it over her beak to clean it off. She now pushes her beak into the napkin to help me clean her. The alternative is that the beak gets wiped on someone's shirt and then you are going to work with an oatmeal shoulderpad. Birds.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Birdie bath time today!

Also, Maestro is bright and happy colors.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

nielsm posted:

Sure, a removable tray could be helpful for cleaning. The thing is, my current single-piece solid bottom has two things going for it: It's simple to make, and it supports the structure to prevent swaying. Removable trays would require a more complex construction, which would also have to take solidity into account. (And it would have to be two trays, due to the middle structural frame.) I also don't know what material I'd use for those, where to get it, or how to construct them.
But I think it might be possible to add a tray system on later without scrapping the entire thing.

A cheap desposable aluminum baking tray or a cheap cookie sheet would make a readily available solution that wouldn't really require anything more than knowing what size you need and a trip to a kitchen store. It could be made to slide in and out on nothing more than a piece of wood under the lip or just placed on top of the wooden tray on the bottom. Space could be made by making the door on the right front and the panel on the left front ~5 shorter depending on the height of the trays. Also, consider staples to attach the aviary mesh. It'll make construction much easier. Here is a terrible, terrible picture done on MSpaint since I have no fancy designing software and draw straight lines about as well as Michael J Fox.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

greypearl posted:

When Pearl steals some of our oatmeal in the mornings, she gets it all over her beak, and then my husband will yell out "Barnacles!" This means I have to get a napkin and fold it over her beak to clean it off. She now pushes her beak into the napkin to help me clean her. The alternative is that the beak gets wiped on someone's shirt and then you are going to work with an oatmeal shoulderpad. Birds.

And yet you're posting in the bird crazies thread instead of Pearl posting in the human crazies thread! :v:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oh my god, Maestro

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Posted without comment:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/9cv4qEZ

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

greypearl posted:

When Pookie gets a messy beak we say to her "Clean your beak!" while waggling our fingers at her and she always trundles over to have her beak wiped off with fingats.

Also the dog adoption situation has taken a strange angle; as of this evening, we have a very shy, very worried little shih tzu living with us who looks freakishly like our sadly deceased Daisy, so much so that Pookie fluffed up like a football and blew kisses at "Daisy". If you remember she growled like a lunatic at the last dog we tried to adopt.

Fingers crossed, everything works out this time :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookie :kimchi:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

The Narrator posted:

Link.

The new Jaws for James Bond looking good.

That is amazing, thinks for linking.

Aug 24, 2011

"what would make birds better"
"if they were more good at biting"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Aug 24, 2011

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No matter how intimidating and regal cockatiels try to look, from the front they are all :derptiel:

I love this picture :3: It's gorgeous while at the same time being essentially cockatiel.

Who are these or are they the nameless ones and if so can we name them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess