Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Just got my first kit. Do HGs not come with the cool little pilot guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Just got my first kit. Do HGs not come with the cool little pilot guy?

They never have. HG kits don't even have cockpits for a pilot to sit in anyways.

Out of curiosity, what kit?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

They never have. HG kits don't even have cockpits for a pilot to sit in anyways.

Well, a few have cockpits. And a few have little figures, even if they don't go in the pilot seat.

For example the Turn A has a pilot in the cockpit, but Loran doesn't come as a separate piece. He's just molded in there.

But yeah. HGs don't tend to have cockpits or pilot figures.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This has been mentioned in passing before, but the 1/100 Barbatos Form 6 will include parts for the Form 5, just like the 1/144... and it'll also include everyone's favourite mace, complete with pile-bunker function.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

TaurusOxford posted:

Char's Zaku The Origin version

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Odd that they're one mace behind - it doesn't come with the chomper mace.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Good choice!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

I feel like I learned a lot from the build (obviously, since it was my first in fifteen years, but still), and I feel like my spru/sanding control is much better now.
I'm also going to retake that salute photo, thanks for the warnings. I have more than enough military people in my social circle and I'd rather they made fun me for building model kits of robots from an anti-war anime, not bad salute form.

Electric Lady posted:

Really looking forward to seeing your next build =)

Ugh...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Ooh, I hear that's a pretty solid choice. Don't forget to give us a trip report.

On my end, I've recently got a chunk of work done, so I plan to start putting together my backlog. I've got the last three kits of my Reconguista collection (the Dahack, the Kabakali, and the G-Self Perfect Pack) to do first, and then it's time to move onto the 1/144 IBO line. I have the Barbatos, the Graze, McGillis's Schwalbe Graze, and the MS Option Set 1, and I have Gaelio's Schwalbe and the Ares Graze on pre-order. At some point in this, I need to clear out another shelf in my bookcase.

I will, of course, post impressions as I get done with each batch. How've folks been finding my trip reports so far, if I may ask? Are they interesting/useful, or am I just yelling into a void?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Odd that they're one mace behind - it doesn't come with the chomper mace.

Ah, that's in the other pictures.

They wouldn't be advertising it as the Form 6 if it wasn't capable of grazing on Grazes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Ooh, I hear that's a pretty solid choice. Don't forget to give us a trip report.

On my end, I've recently got a chunk of work done, so I plan to start putting together my backlog. I've got the last three kits of my Reconguista collection (the Dahack, the Kabakali, and the G-Self Perfect Pack) to do first, and then it's time to move onto the 1/144 IBO line. I have the Barbatos, the Graze, McGillis's Schwalbe Graze, and the MS Option Set 1, and I have Gaelio's Schwalbe and the Ares Graze on pre-order. At some point in this, I need to clear out another shelf in my bookcase.

I will, of course, post impressions as I get done with each batch. How've folks been finding my trip reports so far, if I may ask? Are they interesting/useful, or am I just yelling into a void?

Yes, keep posting, I learn something from just about every post in this thread even if I don't say anything.

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, that's in the other pictures.

They wouldn't be advertising it as the Form 6 if it wasn't capable of grazing on Grazes.

Thanks.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

You still in Taipei? Go to this builiding:

http://www.perfectdesignsense.com/martinwandering/various/ximen/wannian.html

There were a ton of hobby stores there last time I was on the island (actually, me buying a HG Strike Noir from a store in Taipei 101 is what put me onto Gunpla several years ago).

I've bought a fair number of kits overseas. The advice given earlier to get the biggest suitcase you can and stuff it with kits works; you can line the suitcase with your clothes or similar items to pad them in the plane's cargo hold. Collapsing boxes is a good strategy if you have so many that you need to, but avoid it unless you are a box collector.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I didn't come back to this thread in time to see your post while I was still in Taipei, buuuuut I did go to the Wainian building and find those shops!

Tons of good stuff in there, but I only left with some clear HG Jestas and some Gundam Converge figurines. The bigger suitcase thing is something I'll note for the next time I go, and Wannian will be one of my stops.

Also, are there plans for an MG Knight Gundam, same as how there have been MG Musha Gundams?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Revitalized posted:

Also, are there plans for an MG Knight Gundam, same as how there have been MG Musha Gundams?

Hahahahahahahaha....

Keep dreaming buddy.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

that looks awesome, good job!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Revitalized posted:

MG Musha came right the hell out of nowhere, so honestly if MG Knight ever happens it's going to be just as sudden.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Revitalized posted:

Monkey's paw: There will be an MG Knight Gundam, but it will be P-Bandai.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Not happening unless they release MG Full Armor Knight Gundam first.

Seriously do you guys even know how P-Bandai works?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

BlitzBlast posted:

I know that P-Bandai will always break my heart (and wallet).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

the monkey's paw thing likely meant it was a joke man.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So if I want to get into painting my models decently, I'm going to have to get an airbrush and compressor it seems? Which from my first glance at Amazon, looks like it'll cost like $200 to $300?

Also while I'm in the middle of contemplating life choices, how are those cool city dioramas made? Like a war torn office building or urban backdrop for a gunpla?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I know everyone has a 1/144 Barbatos but I just finished building my first model. Those stickers are a PAIN. I also have an base coming in the mail, didn't really know about those when I ordered it. Not sure which model I want to try next.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

cmykjester posted:

I know everyone has a 1/144 Barbatos but I just finished building my first model. Those stickers are a PAIN. I also have an base coming in the mail, didn't really know about those when I ordered it. Not sure which model I want to try next.

If you feel like having a double, the 1/100 Barbatos is just as good and way less stickers.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

If you feel like having a double, the 1/100 Barbatos is just as good and way less stickers.

No mace though

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly I'd just wait for the 1/100 of Form 6. It seems to have literally everything except the katana and the rifle, and those are probably the most boring of the Barbatos' weapons anyway.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Revitalized posted:

So if I want to get into painting my models decently, I'm going to have to get an airbrush and compressor it seems? Which from my first glance at Amazon, looks like it'll cost like $200 to $300?

Also while I'm in the middle of contemplating life choices, how are those cool city dioramas made? Like a war torn office building or urban backdrop for a gunpla?

Don't know if this helps, but if you already have an air compressor in your garage designed for running air ratchets and poo poo you can hook an airbrush up to that. When I decided to get my feet wet airbrushing, I hooked a $20 dual-action Harbor Freight airbrush to my 8 gallon oiled shop compressor with the intention of upgrading down the road (or at least getting a water/oil filter) but the setup has worked well enough I just haven't bothered over the past few years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Don't know if this helps, but if you already have an air compressor in your garage designed for running air ratchets and poo poo you can hook an airbrush up to that. When I decided to get my feet wet airbrushing, I hooked a $20 dual-action Harbor Freight airbrush to my 8 gallon oiled shop compressor with the intention of upgrading down the road (or at least getting a water/oil filter) but the setup has worked well enough I just haven't bothered over the past few years.

If you do this definitely get the moisture trap.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly I'd just wait for the 1/100 of Form 6. It seems to have literally everything except the katana and the rifle, and those are probably the most boring of the Barbatos' weapons anyway.

Yeah I've been thinking about that 1/100 form 6, it just isn't Barbatos without the Mace. I think I definitely want a different mech as my next build instead of a second Barbatos though. Gundam Thunderbolt is another series that I'm pretty into right now, so it'll probably be the Full Armor Gundam or that Red Psycho Zaku.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Might I suggest (with no bias whatsoever, I assure you) MG Gundam X?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I finished my Destiny Gundam recently and I want to give him a top coat, but I was thinking of doing a semi gloss instead of a flat. Would it still give him that nice clean look a flat coat gives the gundams or will he end up continuing to look like a shiny toy.

Also The RG MK II A.E.U.G. I did recently is probably one of the coolest gundams I have built yet. I am really happy with the way he looks. He didn't even really need panel lining.

Edit: I haven't properly posed him yet but I figured I could at least post a picture

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 29, 2016

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
HG Qubeley is done!

Build time was only 4 hours, a fifth of RG Zeta. The model is way simpler and lacks the detail that Zeta has but it doesn't feel like its going to fall apart at any moment so that's a plus. Its also way easier to pose as a result...

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I might end up with both 1/100 Barbatos's. I bought the regular one right before I find out about the new version. Would really like to have that mace...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

zelah posted:

I might end up with both 1/100 Barbatos's. I bought the regular one right before I find out about the new version. Would really like to have that mace...

I'm planning on getting both. I think they're different enough that i want both of them on their own merits, not just to complete the accessories.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

Uhhh we used to have an air compressor for bike tires? I think it's long gone though, so I'm still gonna need to invest from scratch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

I'm planning on getting both. I think they're different enough that i want both of them on their own merits, not just to complete the accessories.

Same.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Droyer posted:

I'm a sucker for large/small matching, so if the 1/144 and 1/100 6th form are basically the same I guess I'll end up with 4.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

cmykjester posted:

I know everyone has a 1/144 Barbatos

I don't. They're all sold out around here.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

I don't. They're all sold out around here.

I don't as well and I do not plan on getting one anytime soon.

Seriously it will be around next christmas before I get through my backlog.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I know the left shoulder is a bit loose, but I'm test fitting before glue and paint and all that. And I still need to do the wings but I think it's together enough to take a picture, anyway.

Dont you ever talk to me or my son again.

Also, is Samuel Decal still a good site for waterslides? I've been following the guide linked a couple pages ago and he mentions them, so I was thinking of adding that to the list.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Make sure when you do final assembly you put the waist on the right way. You currently have the entire thing on backwards.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MG Jesta Cannon arrived!! :woop::woop::swoon:

Can't start building it until I finish some of my backlog. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I kind of made it a rule that I'm not going to buy a new model until the one I have is completed. I already have a steam backlog, I don't need a model backlog too.