Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

grrarg posted:

I like how it is at the top of the sales chart despite almost zero press coverage

By choosing Chucklefish as his publisher the developer was able to take advantage of their patented "negative marketing" techniques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
While trying to see if I could, I seem to have put some wheat into my preserving jars. I'm scared to see the result.

e: in for a penny, in for a pound. Built another jar, also pickling hops

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 28, 2016

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Met posted:

What's so complicated about opening games through Steam? I've never had any issue with it.

I imagine it is the fact that you need the Steam application running, and some people wouldn't want to have to keep it running when they aren't playing.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Emalde posted:

Significantly better than the current Story of Seasons out in the west, Fantasy Life doesn't even have farming, but RF4 is still real good (Stardew has less anime though).
Right on man. I knew it was kinda apples and oranges across the board, especially with Fantasy Life, but I feel like they all scratch the same itch in a way. I could maybe cast a wider net and say it's a little like Animal Crossing in being a chore simulator, too.

Thanks for the input. I guess it won't hurt anything to pick up yet another goddamn farming sim. :shepface:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does the game provide enough guidance to get by for someone who hasn't really played a HM game before besides like 20 minutes with Rune Factory 4 or am I gonna have to go wiki'ing around before i start

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Protip:

See those worms sticking out of the ground? Use your hoe on them.

Same with any other suspicious thing on the ground.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What is that supposed to imply?! :mad:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I'm shaking with anticipation for getting home and playing, is there an iOS game in the same vein that doesn't suck?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Protip:

See those worms sticking out of the ground? Use your hoe on them.

Same with any other suspicious thing on the ground.

now if only I could catch those pesky rabbits

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

drunken officeparty posted:

now if only I could catch those pesky rabbits

You have to make a super coop to raise rabbits.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

For anyone who's having fish problems, they're season, weather, and time of day dependent (beyond just night/day). I posted the data from the game's files on the wiki's talk page here.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Wallet posted:

For anyone who's having fish problems, they're season, weather, and time of day dependent (beyond just night/day). I posted the data from the game's files on the wiki's talk page here.

Aren't they also location dependent beyond simply just 'river' 'lake' and 'ocean'? I'm pretty sure the rivers in different areas give different fish, same with the lakes.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Wallet posted:

A sincere thank you for posting this. This game has one of the least tedious fishing mechanics I've ever seen in a game.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Emalde posted:

You have to make a super coop to raise rabbits.

I don't want to "raise" rabbits, I want to slaughter the ones taunting me by jumping into bushes when you get close

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress this fish forever.

Edit: I'm on a roll.

vandalism posted:

Can I change my dude's appearance in game after character creation?

Become friends with the wizard.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 28, 2016

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Can I change my dude's appearance in game after character creation?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i used to catch millions of sardines, now i cant catch one anywhere. gorshdangit

also all ive done this entire weekend is sit at a desk playing this game please help me my family is dying

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Emalde posted:

(Stardew has less anime though).

Less, but not entirely without.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What is that supposed to imply?! :mad:

haha, all of these people posting weird Abigail stuff has me questioning my decision to go after Maru.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The way the game does mine progression is really funny to me. Sure, to get copper you only have to fight slimes and bugs, but if you want something really special like iron you gotta go into the ice caves and fight ghosts

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

Aren't they also location dependent beyond simply just 'river' 'lake' and 'ocean'? I'm pretty sure the rivers in different areas give different fish, same with the lakes.

Maybe? There's no field in the fish definitions that just says "river" or "ocean" or whatever, but there are numeric fields that I am assuming correspond to locations. I'm too lazy to try and dig up whatever area IDs they presumably represent.

The stuff you can get out of Crab Pots does have a field that's just Freshwater or Ocean, though. I didn't realize until I was looking at it that you get different poo poo if you stick crab pots in lakes or whatever.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i found some sneakers in a cave and apparently you cant throw them out can you sell them

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Does anybody know where i can find some Wild Plum(in the Fall?) the Wiki mentions it is in town, but I've yet to find any, in or out of town

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

euphemism posted:

i found some sneakers in a cave and apparently you cant throw them out can you sell them

the Adventurer's Guild next to the Cave will buy Swords/Rings/Shoes

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Has anyone got the ancient seed yet and know when's good to plant it?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Eryxias posted:

Does anybody know where i can find some Wild Plum(in the Fall?) the Wiki mentions it is in town, but I've yet to find any, in or out of town

I found mine north of the bus

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Demiurge4 posted:

Linus taught me a new bait recipe. He said it's so good he'd eat it himself :frogdowns:

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress this fish forever.

Edit: I'm on a roll.

Become friends with the wizard.

It's great your helping out, but don't future quote. No one ever scrolls back to see if someone answered their question in an edit. Just post again.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Eryxias posted:

They spawn just like any of the wild plants of the previous seasons, you gotta be patient.

Now if you were bitching about the mushroom I could understand if you didn't have the Hidden Forest unlocked it seemed much more uncommon than the others in the fall season.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Pound_Coin posted:

Has anyone got the ancient seed yet and know when's good to plant it?

I'm not sure exactly how it works or what the hell you do with the fruit, but I think it grows in any season except winter, and the wiki says it takes 28 days (which seems about right from growing it myself) to produce the first fruit and then keeps producing, so if you want to get the most out of it plant it on the first day of spring.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
"Hm yes, I'll continue exploring the mines."

A red mist covers the screen. Eight red bats spawn.

"SCREAMING"

gently caress bats.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Kicking myself for selling all the things I foraged up since now I need to turn in "spring foraging" items to the gremlins at the community center and nothing is spawning :smith:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm down in the mines to level 35, still no Iron, also can't see poo poo down here.

I also refuse to believe any of you are actually fishing as it is impossible to do. Please for the love of god give me a mod that auto wins the terrible game.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

Sage Grimm posted:

They spawn just like any of the wild plants of the previous seasons, you gotta be patient.

Yeah, just as I figured, not more than 5 minutes after posting, i found a whole bunch of them

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Elendil004 posted:

I'm down in the mines to level 35, still no Iron, also can't see poo poo down here.

I also refuse to believe any of you are actually fishing as it is impossible to do. Please for the love of god give me a mod that auto wins the terrible game.

Iron starts at level 40.

Fishing is difficult at first, but once you gain some levels and get the next rod it becomes much more manageable. You'll get better at it if you keep at it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Elendil004 posted:

I felt the same way until I kept trying for a bit, then it 'clicked' and the minigame started being really fun. Lots of clicking keeps the bar steady, holding click makes it rise but pick up momentum quickly. Also, the fish icon loves to feint downward before shooting upwards; realizing that was when I really figured out how to fish.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I love the way fishing works in this game, fishing in other games I've played is always so easy as to be pointless, this one is a little challenging but easy to get the hang of and a long way from 'impossible'.

Some fish are trickier than others for sure though, I haven't been able to figure out if it's random or if they're rarer fish or what.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Zoe posted:

Yeah I love the way fishing works in this game, fishing in other games I've played is always so easy as to be pointless, this one is a little challenging but easy to get the hang of and a long way from 'impossible'.

Some fish are trickier than others for sure though, I haven't been able to figure out if it's random or if they're rarer fish or what.

From my struggles trying to get a catfish today with the bamboo rod (I succeeded, but DO NOT DO THIS); I'm almost positive rarer fish = finickier in the minigame. So if a fish just blindsights you moving around like a jackrabbit, not only did you just miss a fish but probably a really cool one :eng101:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, can confirm that each fish has different movement patterns and are either slowed down or the speed that you lose progress based on your fishing skill (can't determine which).

Tunas are confirmed dicks. Same with pike.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

1) I've only made like 35k by summer 18 Year 1, am I bad at making money? Any tips?
2) Should I go for the barn or the first house upgrade first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am aware of how fishing works, it's just terrible and I hate it and this game seems moddable, so I'm sure someone will mod that poo poo right out.

edit: Any tips for seeing better in the mines?