Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Ulvirich posted:

A sincere thank you for posting this. This game has one of the least tedious fishing mechanics I've ever seen in a game.

In way it kind of feels like real fishing, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Met posted:

I know what you mean. I feel like I need sprinklers so I can have time to upgrade my watering can.

It takes two days to upgrade your watering can. So each morning check the forecast until you get rain the next day. Then water your crops and go upgrade the can. It'll rain the next day, keeping your plants good, and on the second day you go claim your watering can and can still water your plants (just later in the day).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

The 8x8 sprinklers unlock at Farming level 6. Personally I haven't had to use them. With an upgraded watering can, I can take care of 7 9x9 fields fine by hand and have plenty of time for fishing and mining.

Protip; your ratios are wrong. 3x3 is 9 tiles. The iridium sprinkler will water a 4x4 radius.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress this fish forever.

Edit: I'm on a roll.

Become friends with the wizard.

I hope he can also change your Likes.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Weird question, but are there any plans to change the tool use animations (sickle, pickax etc)? They all look really off for some reason.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm not the only one who plays through the first month to figure out where everything is and how to min/max my economy, and then restarts with that knowledge, right?

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Protip; your ratios are wrong. 3x3 is 9 tiles. The iridium sprinkler will water a 4x4 radius.

Iridium waters 5x5.

I opened the Unreal World thread and got my tabs mixed up and it took me like a page to realize that it wasn't the Stardew Valley thread.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

I'm not the only one who plays through the first month to figure out where everything is and how to min/max my economy, and then restarts with that knowledge, right?

I kinda did the same. Also bring your hoe with you 24/7 unless you are expressly just fishing, mining, loving around on the farm or upgrading the hoe. Those little three wriggling worm tiles have some good stuff in them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

inthesto posted:

If that's your thing. The game doesn't have huge time sensitive things.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Do crab pots work now? I read a couple of comments that said they were broken.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

First modding API is being developed. Early release gives you the following commands:

https://github.com/Zoryn4163/SMAPI/releases

I liked this so I'm playing with it. Contributed an add-all-crafting-and-cooking-recipes mod on the Stardew forum.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Modding idea: Instead of an "ambient tracks only" option, have "music only". The music in this game is very cute, but most of the time you're just listening to birds chirping (which to be fair, can be nice too).

That said, the constant buzzing in Summer is making me antsy and I wish I could remove it without just turning off all music :(

e: also, I wish the targeting square would show when planting seeds. It completely misplaced like 6 of my hops and I couldn't afford to buy replacements. I realize it's my own fault for planting them in a field and not in a line, but it still sucked to have so many of them plant themselves above/below me when I had the cursor firmly placed in front of my character.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 29, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So where do I find a super cucumber?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

So where do I find a super cucumber?

It's a super rare purple sea cucumber. I think I got mine in fall during a rain storm.

Edit: Checking the stats here it can be caught in summer and winter during any weather after 6pm.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

I used this to make a cheat sheet for the Fish Tank bundles. I think there's still some inaccuracy between all the info we have. I caught a Walleye at 11pm, but the dump said 12. Also, I have not personally done any crab pot stuff yet, so that might be totally wrong. I'll update it and repost if anyone finds anything wrong.

This is the entry for walleye:

code:
"140": "Walleye/45/smooth/10/40/1200 2600/fall winter/rainy/680 .35/2/.4/.15/0"
The 1200 2600 part is the time—600 is 6am, etc. Can't really say why you might be able to catch a fish at other times.

Also, I can confirm that he crab pot part is correct, though you don't need anywhere near all of the items you can put in it so it's very easy to complete anyway.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a super rare purple sea cucumber. I think I got mine in fall during a rain storm.

Edit: Checking the stats here it can be caught in summer and winter during any weather after 6pm.

oh gently caress it's a fish gently caress that forever.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is the wood blade better than the starting rust sword?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Demiurge4 posted:

Well, that chart doesn't seem to be updated then, because I just got one during fall. I think it's an all year-fish.

Edit: Found some Iridium ores in a Magma Geode. Only place I've seen them.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 29, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

drunken officeparty posted:

Is the wood blade better than the starting rust sword?

Yeah but there's an even better one available for free on floor 20 of the mine.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The problem with having the GOG release is that it needs the updates.

ConcernedApe can't add the update manually like he can do with the Steam version. He's not abandoning the GOG version, it's just that CD Projekt (They run GOG) are out of the office on weekends, so the patch isn't there yet.

But it will be. Probably to the same version of Steam, and not just the 1.01 patch. Depends if it'd be incremental or combined. Depends how he does it for the GOG version.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 29, 2016

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.

PirateDentist posted:

Less, but not entirely without.

... I have to know how you got this scarecrow.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Wallet posted:

This is the entry for walleye:

code:
"140": "Walleye/45/smooth/10/40/1200 2600/fall winter/rainy/680 .35/2/.4/.15/0"
The 1200 2600 part is the time—600 is 6am, etc. Can't really say why you might be able to catch a fish at other times.

Also, I can confirm that he crab pot part is correct, though you don't need anywhere near all of the items you can put in it so it's very easy to complete anyway.

probably because if that is the time readout, then the chart is wrong and it is Noon - 2am

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

StyleFresh posted:

I liked this so I'm playing with it. Contributed an add-all-crafting-and-cooking-recipes mod on the Stardew forum.

Added to my modding megathread OP on the chucklefish forums. I've tried to keep a list of all known mods going there, at least until Steam Workshop or Nexus or something takes over.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
e: nvm i'm dumb and didn't check my inventory

inthesto fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 29, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Geologist perk for mining is invaluable. It seems to trigger 50%+ of the time.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ulvirich posted:

I kinda did the same. Also bring your hoe with you 24/7 unless you are expressly just fishing, mining, loving around on the farm or upgrading the hoe. Those little three wriggling worm tiles have some good stuff in them.

What do these tiles look like?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Geez, keep a few vegetables in chests instead of selling them for sure. It's absurd that someone only gives you 48 hours to complete a quest. Bitch, do you understand how long cauliflower takes to GROW?

In any case: I'm reading the wiki and trying to plot out my next few purchases and plan a better farming setup for summer. A basic coop doesn't have an incubator if I am reading this right, so to get 4 chickens you would have to buy them all. This implies 4k + 3.2k = 7.2k for the full basic coop, right? Does anyone have any idea how much grass the chickens need per head to graze properly so I know what to fence in? I don't have a silo and gently caress that, they can forage for their own drat selves. If it's raining they can starve for a day if they're so loving picky.

Failing upgrading my tools, there doesn't seem to be a better path forward than that right now - nothing else will really increase my ability to make money. The house upgrade is the other main thing I can see up right now and I don't see how a kitchen is going to make me more bux.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Is there any negative effects to failing quests? I haven't been taking quests I'm not 100% sure to complete just because I'm afraid it'll lead to an affection drop or something.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Coolguye posted:

Failing upgrading my tools, there doesn't seem to be a better path forward than that right now - nothing else will really increase my ability to make money. The house upgrade is the other main thing I can see up right now and I don't see how a kitchen is going to make me more bux.

Aren't kitchens usually good for, you know, cooking things? I bet there's plenty of bux in cooking up tasty things.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Broken Cog posted:

The Geologist perk for mining is invaluable. It seems to trigger 50%+ of the time.

Yeah I regret taking the mining specialty. I don't suppose there's any way to reskill that?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Where's Pam?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone spoil this game for me; does Penny eventually get some self-confidence?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

She lives in the Trailer.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Met posted:

She lives in the Trailer.

And the Bar.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Your Computer posted:

Someone spoil this game for me; does Penny eventually get some self-confidence?

The game just came out. Find out. :unsmith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just realized I don't have to repair the bus to get to the desert because a loving train runs that way regularly :doh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Aren't kitchens usually good for, you know, cooking things? I bet there's plenty of bux in cooking up tasty things.

That's traditionally not true in HM games, weirdly enough. Extra preparation usually isn't worth the added time it requires.

I mean if that's the thing here then sure, great, I'll get my house expanded, but I find it unlikely with the standards of the genre.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

is there a way to get seeds from veggies you grow?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

The game just came out. Find out. :unsmith:

I really like her reading books and being a teacher and stuff, and you can't help but feel sorry for her.. but I just don't want to end up with a stereotypical subservient waifu :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
In Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar, cooked food is stupidly profitable, and since you can only sell stuff once a week for full price, cooking is a great way to make some inexpensive ingredients into massive riches.

It may have been a cut in your profits in other games, but in Grand Bazaar it's amazingly powerful.

Not to mention cooked food probably makes good gifts, like it does in Harvest Moon games.