Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Roshambo posted:

Is starfruit the item that increases max energy? or is there another item called a Stardrop fruit?

The latter, the starfruit is just something you grow in the summer the stardrop fruit it what increases max energy there are a few in the game, like the ones from festivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Someone said a little bit ago that the fruit bats are the best choice for your cave on your farm. Is there a reason for this or was it just their personal preference?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AegisP posted:

That Scarecrow wiki picture really puts into perspective how large the original 20 tile radius was.

Which wasn't a bad thing, you generally don't see more than 1-2 scarecrows in a field in real life, now the game is just comical because you'll have an army of them if you decide to go all in on farming.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Gibbo posted:

Shift clicking a couple times to make stacks of five os cumbersome?

It is when you didn't know you could shift click that menu. Thanks!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is there any difference between selling produce and fish through the shipment box as opposed to pawning them off to Pierre or Willy?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

inthesto posted:

Is there any difference between selling produce and fish through the shipment box as opposed to pawning them off to Pierre or Willy?

nope, if you don't need the cash during the day you can just dump everything in the box and get paid overnight

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Winged Orpheus posted:

Someone said a little bit ago that the fruit bats are the best choice for your cave on your farm. Is there a reason for this or was it just their personal preference?

Fruit bats will, every few days, spawn some random outdoor fruit from any season. So you can be in the middle of summer and find things like blackberries or whatever.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Thanks for the reply so is it even useful for the first sprinkler? Maybe veggies with stocks so you can't run through them? I don't know

Fishing annoyed me until I realized keep the fish in the bar not above it. that plus hitting level 1 seemed to make it easier. I now find fishing genuinely enjoyable. I try to find different ponds to fish out of, I know this makes no difference, and yeah. Fun as hell

2 days off coming up and I'm ready to spend way to much time playing this game

Well, in spring 1 space doesn't tend to be my main concern, energy, money, and metal is. It might be worth setting up a high return/regrowth crop like strawberries in a plus pattern then later filling in with sprinklers, especially if you don't like going in the mine too much. If you provide the copper and buy the rest from the blacksmith or buy from the traveling merchant, the cost is only 600 gold. On the other hand, it probably makes more sense to spend time and money on fishing and upgrades/new buildings.

..It's probably not worth it.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 29, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The transmutes seem backward to me. Why would I want to transmute multiple of a lower bar into a higher one when they are all easy to get? If you could transmute to iridium then maybe it would be worth it, but as far as I can tell you can't. Even tramsuting nuggets into a bar without using coal would be pretty sweet.

I'd much rather transmute a gold bar into two iron bars or an iron bar into two copper bars. That would be great.

Winged Orpheus posted:

I picked mushrooms and it has worked out alright. I haven't really found anything to do with the mushrooms yet, but I just ate the brown ones that spawned while clearing through the mines and for energy early on. Once you are geared up you rarely need to eat anything to heal up and I run out of time in a day before energy after eating 3 stardrops and getting upgraded tools.

You can easily turn fruit into jams/wine which seems way better than mushrooms, but I will openly admit I haven't actually cooked anything and don't know the game that well despite being in the 2nd year's summer. Mushrooms spawn every other day. Maybe fruit is less frequent to balance it out?

If there is some artisan thing to do with mushrooms that you can easily mass do I'd love to know, because I have a stockpile of 150 reds or something ridiculous.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 29, 2016

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
How do you bring tilled soil back to untilled? I could've swore I was doing it earlier using the pickaxe, but that doesn't work now.

edit: Are most minerals used for crafting, or is it just quartz? I need money, and I've got all these rocks just laying around.

Revol fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 29, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DoubleNegative posted:

Fruit bats will, every few days, spawn some random outdoor fruit from any season. So you can be in the middle of summer and find things like blackberries or whatever.

The mushrooms you get from the other choice sell for pretty drat good prices, though. You get like 6 free mushrooms every 3 days worth between 150-400

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Winged Orpheus posted:

I took 'shrooms, but theortically fruit is a hella money maker. Mostly via fruit trees which you then mass produce into jams, but every little bit helps.

I didn't find any mushrooms period in the mines a good two weeks after I got it. Practically speaking, bats let you slump on farming a little, mushrooms let you slump on cave-foraging. I'd take the latter.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I went mushrooms because it's basically one free life elixir per week and annoying cooking pieces. The fruits can all be got elsewhere.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah foraging seemed already OP and I had more of the seasonal fruits than I knew what to do with, but I've never seen a single mushroom, so I went shrooms. Better for filling out the bundles and free energy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Aw, I got a scene with Shane in the forest at night, and now I feel a bit bad for him.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Aw, I got a scene with Shane in the forest at night, and now I feel a bit bad for him.

I read the note in Clint's bedroom :smith:

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

Winged Orpheus posted:

Most mushrooms you'll find by mining as there's fewer types. Fruit bats will give you all fruits from any season, I think in the end it's way more diverse and better if you're doing collections.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

How does a SNES-style game that's supposed to be something to relax and play control so awfully with a controller and only just get partial support? poo poo sucks, refunded.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't know what you guys are talking about having to choose between mushrooms or fruit or bats or whatever but I do know that if you get a tree size mushroom on your farm you can put a tap on it

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Monohydrate posted:

How does a SNES-style game that's supposed to be something to relax and play control so awfully with a controller and only just get partial support? poo poo sucks, refunded.

Uhh, sorry you had problems? Controller works fine for 90% of things, dunno what to tell you

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
just had a bug where drunk debuff combined with the slime slow wearing off put me at double speed for the rest of the day, pretty cool but it made using mega bombs way less exciting

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Why did one of my crops near a scarecrow suddenly disappear?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You can smelt quartz.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

Gamerofthegame posted:

You can tell what the general consensus of "Who's the best marriage candidate?" by way of Abigail being the only one filled out on the wiki.

I just liked her hair, my red haired girl goes well with purple Abigail.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stupid newbie question, but how do I unload all the potentially useful poo poo I'm carting around? I have a backpack full of wood and fiber that has to be useful for something.

EDIT: Also, what's the latest time I can go to bed without bad consequences?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 29, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's a bug currently that causes the game to crash randomly when you got to sleep and it doesn't save either.

I've had to stop playing and I am not okay with this. I have a majestic horse I need to build a house for and continue bribing Maru with a literal mountain of gold bars. I'm not sure how devalued gold is in this world that a two gold bar every weeks for half a year doesn't even qualify you as a friend.

Fat Samurai posted:

Stupid newbie question, but how do I unload all the potentially useful poo poo I'm carting around? I have a backpack full of wood and fiber that has to be useful for something.

There's a crafting menu hidden in your inventory. Use some of the wood to craft a crate and then stick it all in there. Crates are cheap build loads of them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Fat Samurai posted:

Craft a box. It's in the crafting menu and only costs 50 wood.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Gamerofthegame posted:

You can smelt quartz.

Yeah, and refined quartz is used in crafting. Are any other minerals used for crafting, though?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Haha went from crab pot duping to crab pots disappearing back to crab pot duping.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Mushrooms are the only right answer.

Like fruit is great money sure, but you can eventually get trees for that poo poo.

Mushrooms? You have a very rare chance of finding them in the caves/forest, or a slightly better chance of finding them in the desert after you've spent $45k getting the bus going.

Considering the "endgame" for this game seems to revolve around having a massive farm/just having so much money you can buy you minerals off Clint, having to scrounge the entire forest/mines/desert in the hopes you can find mushrooms seems real dumb.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Revol posted:

Yeah, and refined quartz is used in crafting. Are any other minerals used for crafting, though?

Earth Crystals are used for Mayo Makers, which are a pretty good way to make chickens profitable. There's a few rings that don't seem worth it at all and you can pretty much just sell or gift the rest.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: Also, what's the latest time I can go to bed without bad consequences?

1). Craft a chest for fifty wood.
2). I want to say 1 AM, without any certainty. I feel like you recover less energy sleeping the closer you get to 2 AM. So I try to hit the sack by midnight, given how I'm never all that prompt.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I wanted to give Linus a big bass I caught because I caught him digging in the trash for food but apparently presenting a delicious fish as a goodwill gesture turned out to be a horrible insult. Why does everyone in this coast town loving hate fish?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Uhh, sorry you had problems? Controller works fine for 90% of things, dunno what to tell you

Personally, I can deal with it, but I hear his woes. The fact that the game doesn't have an in-app mouse and accesses your system is pretty drat inexcusable. There's a lot of non-hacky solutions he could've gone with, especially in XNA.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dont like how the dev is pushing live updates every day, he breaks as many things as he fixes

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

The White Dragon posted:

Personally, I can deal with it, but I hear his woes. The fact that the game doesn't have an in-app mouse and accesses your system is pretty drat inexcusable. There's a lot of non-hacky solutions he could've gone with, especially in XNA.

I literally have no idea what that means, I was referring to the controls feeling fine other than placing furniture & sometimes needing to put the cursor over a button (or rarely type in a name)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It means that if you play the game in windowed mode with a controller, your Windows OS mouse gets controlled by the gamepad. The pointer you see is a skin for your actual mouse clicker, it isn't an in-game thing.

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008
Where/when can I catch a red snapper? The wikis say ocean / day / summer/fall/winter, but I have tried all three ocean docks, the shallows, and all three rods at all three times of day and I just can't seem to find them.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

The controller works great for me. It acts as a mouse when I open up the menus. There's no other reason to use the mouse other than where it acts as one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

LordSloth posted:

1). Craft a chest for fifty wood.
2). I want to say 1 AM, without any certainty. I feel like you recover less energy sleeping the closer you get to 2 AM. So I try to hit the sack by midnight, given how I'm never all that prompt.

I'm a week into my first summer and never noticed the chest I am so dumb...