Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My dream is an HBO Eisenhorn or perhaps a Gaunts Ghost campaign done up alla Band of Brothers. Alas, this world is not good enough for such things :/.

A Band of Brothers style ghosts movie set during the siege of Vervunhive would be loving amazing. None of the other ghost settings really lend themselves to that though and continuity in a movie sequel would feel weird. Still I think the stuff with the Saint and maybe Gereon would make for some great TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It will never happen because GW and by proxy the Black Library is terrible at managing their IP's. "You can't make a video game TV show about warhammer, it might threaten the Tabeltopp ebook buisness"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Demiurge4 posted:

A Band of Brothers style ghosts movie set during the siege of Vervunhive would be loving amazing. None of the other ghost settings really lend themselves to that though and continuity in a movie sequel would feel weird. Still I think the stuff with the Saint and maybe Gereon would make for some great TV.

I keep thinking that if there's ever a proper 40k movie, an adaptation of Necropolis is the way to do it. It's an easily understandable plot to come in cold to, there's some of the setting's weirdness but not so much that it alienates non-fans coming to see it or necessitating lots of infodump dialogue, there's a good mix of men and women, a love interest for the male lead, and a conclusive ending that nevertheless leaves the door open for sequels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which is why X-Wing and Armada are such failures, amirite? Games Workshop has no idea how the world works. Those two tabletop games kick rear end, they're slightly cheaper than 40K, and they're successful because they've been cultivated from a strong IP. GW's argument would be analogous to the X-Wing tabletop game somehow threatening the financial stability of The Force Awakens because it uses EU ships.

I still think that Necropolis is one of the weaker Ghosts novels, but I'm also a weirdo who thinks that First and Only and Ghostmaker are really loving good. Neither are as good as Traitor General, His Last Command or Armor of Contempt, though. Those three books are the 40K misery simulator at its best.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm a weirdo who loathes the Gereon arc, and I've stopped following the series. I have The Founding and The Saint anthologies, and I'm content with the series stopping there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's interesting how much we differ. I like the Gereon stories because they feel more character driven than action focused. I think all the books are pretty good, except for Sabbat Martyr. Goddamn that was a mediocre piece of crap.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
The only good thing to come off Sabbat Martyr is my hope for a Sabbat 'n Milo spin-off series written by Sandy Mitchell

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is why X-Wing and Armada are such failures, amirite? Games Workshop has no idea how the world works. Those two tabletop games kick rear end, they're slightly cheaper than 40K, and they're successful because they've been cultivated from a strong IP. GW's argument would be analogous to the X-Wing tabletop game somehow threatening the financial stability of The Force Awakens because it uses EU ships.

I still think that Necropolis is one of the weaker Ghosts novels, but I'm also a weirdo who thinks that First and Only and Ghostmaker are really loving good. Neither are as good as Traitor General, His Last Command or Armor of Contempt, though. Those three books are the 40K misery simulator at its best.

Its no mystery GW is a loving terrible company. They do absolutely no market research. 0. So logically they have no loving idea what their audience knows or wants. The faster GW dies the faster WH40K gets picked up by a competent company.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Immanentized posted:

The only good thing to come off Sabbat Martyr is my hope for a Sabbat 'n Milo spin-off series written by Sandy Mitchell

Oh god I want that so bad now that you mention it. That would tide me over until whenever Warmaster comes out.
If it ever does that is.

Phi230 posted:

The faster GW dies the faster WH40K gets picked up by a competent company.

Clearly Hasbro or some other company is just waiting right outside the door with a suitcase full of money to buy the license and everything that comes with it. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I have my fingers crossed for FFG personally, from how x-wing and Armada run.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I keep thinking that if there's ever a proper 40k movie, an adaptation of Necropolis is the way to do it. It's an easily understandable plot to come in cold to, there's some of the setting's weirdness but not so much that it alienates non-fans coming to see it or necessitating lots of infodump dialogue, there's a good mix of men and women, a love interest for the male lead, and a conclusive ending that nevertheless leaves the door open for sequels.

Yeah Necropolis is the perfect setting for an epic war movie, but it doesn't have space marines so it probably won't get made. Dan Abnett writes some amazing stuff and the relationship between the marines and the ghosts in Salvations Reach is one of the best I've seen, the closest parallel is ADB's The Emperor's Gift where we get to see the same thing from the marines side. We won't get that in any movie though, the best we can hope for is Michael Bay doing his best Iron Man impression.

I mentioned continuity problems though. How do you go from Vervunhive, with it's fortress walls, massive city wide shields and millions of combatants, to a series of small skirmishes and minor battles with the biggest parallel being a World War 1 story of trench warfare and stealth insertions?

Bryan Cranston would make a great Larkin though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah Necropolis is the perfect setting for an epic war movie, but it doesn't have space marines so it probably won't get made. Dan Abnett writes some amazing stuff and the relationship between the marines and the ghosts in Salvations Reach is one of the best I've seen, the closest parallel is ADB's The Emperor's Gift where we get to see the same thing from the marines side. We won't get that in any movie though, the best we can hope for is Michael Bay doing his best Iron Man impression.

I mentioned continuity problems though. How do you go from Vervunhive, with it's fortress walls, massive city wide shields and millions of combatants, to a series of small skirmishes and minor battles with the biggest parallel being a World War 1 story of trench warfare and stealth insertions?

Bryan Cranston would make a great Larkin though.

If we're playing casting......

Joseph Gordon Levitt for Caffran
Vin Diesal for Bragg or Corbec(Because he's a huge nerd)
Mark Strong for Rawne

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Mark Strong for Rawne

For my picks: Liam Neeson as Gaunt and Michael Ironside as Sorbec (the smeltery boss/psyker, I really need to read the book again because I'm unsure of his last name).

Demiurge4 posted:

I think I'd make Guns of Tanith the next after a Necropolis movie.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 29, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The only problem with casting a Ghosts series is that Sean Bean would be among the actors, and they'd have so many roles that fit in with his traditional one. (IE: sir dies-a-lot.)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd be quite happy with a Sharpe ghosts remake

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah but who gets to play Lija Cuu? Rory McCann?

Cythereal posted:

I'm a weirdo who loathes the Gereon arc, and I've stopped following the series. I have The Founding and The Saint anthologies, and I'm content with the series stopping there.

I really hated the Gereon books on my first read through them, but on my second read with the context of later books I loved them :shrug: I think my initial hate was simply due to the total shift in tone from the series where you suddenly shift from the Ghosts as a whole into this group of veterans who come out of it with some serious mental wounds and it really heightened my enjoyment of the next books because the conflict between the Gereon team and the rest of the Ghosts was really good writing.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 29, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Also, my PnP warhammer RPG group figure the lasgun's stock is only a part of the lasgun's design so people can stave skulls in with it. :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It probably helps with aiming too, same as real stocks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My Rogue Trader pnp group decided that every STC fragment the Mechanicus has of rifles features a stock so lasguns have them whether they have a kick or not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Mark Strong for Rawne

Bill Nighy for Larkin
Ray Stevenson for Gol Kolea
Brian Cox for Viktor Hark
Ray Winstone for Agun Soric
Rene Auberjonois for Dorden

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
What is the name of Gaunt's voxcast operator? That seems like a role fit for Michael Pena, it has quirky comedic sidekick written all over it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

What is the name of Gaunt's voxcast operator? That seems like a role fit for Michael Pena, it has quirky comedic sidekick written all over it.

Beltayn, named after the harvest festival.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's currently AWOL after he ran off to rumspringia with some tart. :orks:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I think one of my favorite Abnett-isms is that Chaos vehicles of a certain size and sophistication scream their names like deranged, black metal Pokemon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Harvest in the southern hemisphere perhaps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Harvest in the southern hemisphere perhaps.

Wrong festival on my part. It's the spring May Day festival.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltane

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have my fingers crossed for FFG personally, from how x-wing and Armada run.

And they've generally done a decent job with the parts of the 40k/WFB IP they have touched to date.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wrong festival on my part. It's the spring May Day festival.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltane
In 40k terms his family probably are named after "that one Craftworld" really.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Snollygoster posted:

I think one of my favorite Abnett-isms is that Chaos vehicles of a certain size and sophistication scream their names like deranged, black metal Pokemon.

That was something I thought was really cool the first time it happened ("Nekromant Invidiosa!"), but when it became the pattern, it kind of fell flat.

Abnett's depiction of the tank in Traitor General is the best way of showing a Chaos-possessed vehicle that I've read, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kylaer posted:

That was something I thought was really cool the first time it happened ("Nekromant Invidiosa!"), but when it became the pattern, it kind of fell flat.

Abnett's depiction of the tank in Traitor General is the best way of showing a Chaos-possessed vehicle that I've read, though.

Think that was Armour of Contempt where the tank was stalking them. Can't remember a tank in Traitor General.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Suddenly, Relic and Sega announce that they're releasing a new patch for Dawn of War 2: Retribution, along with a new Last Stand Hero: The Necron Overlord.
I fully expect the Necron to be a murder machine, but what I'm really hoping for is that the patch unfucks heavy weapons teams for Imperial Guard.
But I still just play Elite Mod.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Suddenly, Relic and Sega announce that they're releasing a new patch for Dawn of War 2: Retribution, along with a new Last Stand Hero: The Necron Overlord.
I fully expect the Necron to be a murder machine, but what I'm really hoping for is that the patch unfucks heavy weapons teams for Imperial Guard.
But I still just play Elite Mod.

I'm amazed that any Dawn of War game is getting post-release support at this point, after Relic went to the great hedgehog in the sky.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Klaus88 posted:

I'm amazed that any Dawn of War game is getting post-release support at this point, after Relic went to the great hedgehog in the sky.

They're getting people hyped up for the third one.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Klaus88 posted:

Dawn of War literally prints money, even Sega knows this.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What happened to Relic?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sandweed posted:

What happened to Relic?

THQ, their old parent company, died and Sega bought them. Since then they've mostly made DLC packs for Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes 2.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sandweed posted:

What happened to Relic?

And their Dawn of War 2 and Space Marine assets were used in lovely indie games like 40K chess, tower defence and what have you. I've no idea how that happened since Sega/Relic still seem to own the games they made. Maybe GW are free to redistribute Relic's stuff as they see fit.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
The next four Horus Heresy books are coming out between now and June:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/the-horus-heresy-teaser.html

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I read the first two books in the new "The Beast Arises" series and they're great, because they're by Dan Abnett and Rob Sanders, who are great.

Book 3 is by Gav Thorpe :vomarine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sulecrist posted:

The next four Horus Heresy books are coming out between now and June:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/the-horus-heresy-teaser.html

Good that they are finally getting their poo poo together but I figure those all have to be short story collections, right?

ADB said in December there would be a preview of MoM soon, but no dice so far